Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Steven Gerrard's "dive" and "loss of respect" for him

Read 17871 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Steven Gerrard's "dive" and "loss of respect" for him
      Reply #23: Nov 05, 2008 11:35:29 am
      Very debatable but we earlier had many penalties which one should have been given but we got none. So, guess you win some and you lose some
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #24: Nov 05, 2008 12:05:24 pm
      Bit of a sh*te thread this one!  ::)

What player wouldn't go down in the penalty area when they got pushed in the back?  ::) This was just more eye-catching because we were one down and it was the last couple of minutes of the match.

There was contact so he dropped, simple. It wasn't like he threw himself around without being touched FFS.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6948 
      Reply #25: Nov 05, 2008 12:37:32 pm
      It wasn't like he threw himself around without being touched FFS.

Exactly.  One thing going down after a 'fantasy' challenge - completely different when a defender jumps in to a 50-50 in the penalty area.  It was a clumsy bit of defending.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #26: Nov 05, 2008 12:48:20 pm
      Exactly.  One thing going down after a 'fantasy' challenge - completely different when a defender jumps in to a 50-50 in the penalty area.  It was a clumsy bit of defending.

That's what I thought.

I'm not saying that I think it was a penalty, I said last night on the match thread that IMO it wasn't, but I didn't think Gerrard was simulating either. He went down under the challenge, the rest was the referee's understanding of the incident.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #27: Nov 05, 2008 12:54:20 pm
      It was a soft one to get but we didnt deserve to lose the game and should have had a pen earlier on anyway,id have been fuming if it was at the other end and they had been awarded it but like they say thats football for you.
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,539 posts | 34 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #28: Nov 05, 2008 01:01:02 pm
      It wasn't a pen full stop. I'm old enough to read someones face in an instant and Stevie knows exactally what he did!

It was a clumsy attempt at getting the ball, he failled, penalty given.  End of story.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #29: Nov 05, 2008 03:27:44 pm
      dived my a---se - it was 100% body contact,50% illegal and 0% ball contact if thats not a pen tell me what is ,can't be doin with all these titheads talkin about lucky again either but then again its just a wind up from spiteful gobshites who can only dream of attaining the same success as LFC.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,385 posts | 2823 
      Reply #30: Nov 05, 2008 05:10:52 pm
      He was knocked off the ball.  What a F***ing stupid topic to start.  In fact it's only staying up to provide you with embarrassment.

Thanks for that. I'm pretty new on this forum and I start a topic and all you do is say something like that.

Cheers.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4584 
      Reply #31: Nov 05, 2008 05:18:50 pm
      chats o6  how the F**k can you question gerrard!

how many times have we been victims of simulation.
      stevo was knocked of the ball in the box,the madrid player had his arm across his face to me that is a foul and pen.

for fucks sake defend your player you tw*t.
      « Last Edit: Nov 05, 2008 05:25:50 pm by shabbadoo »
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #32: Nov 05, 2008 05:44:35 pm
      chats......forget the media. Let's look at the facts

http://www.d1g.com/video/show/?id=2424055

In this clip, the slow mo from the side, you see the atletico defender lead in with his right arm that blocks Gerrard.Gerrard's head gets there first.

It's a subtle move from the athletico defender but cynical as he knew Gerrard was powering into the box.

It's a free kick anywhere else on the pitch and a penalty.
      « Last Edit: Nov 05, 2008 06:35:30 pm by LondonRed »
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #33: Nov 05, 2008 06:52:42 pm
      They were both going for the ball. Gerrard was there first and was then knocked by the defender.

My first reaction was 'that's not a pen' but it was a foul. A foul in the box. Therefore it was a penalty.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #34: Nov 05, 2008 06:55:58 pm

Why we are discussing this action in yesterday's game ?  Its a penalty, you can see the defender's elbow and shoulder blocking Stevie ,who gets the ball with his head ,and empeded to continue the action

And why are we not discussing the clear hands in the penalty area earlier, ignored by the same officials

barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #35: Nov 05, 2008 06:56:20 pm
      Players with a turn of speed will always fall over more easily than others. Gerrard, as does Ronaldo, as does Drogba, all have that extra pace on the ball, and at their speed, any contact will knock them over. The growing trend that is bothering me is for players to knock the ball around the defender and then rampage straight into the defender, leaving the defender without any hope of avoiding the contact. Referees need to be more aware of this tactic and do as the basketball officials do and call it a "charge"  awarding a free kick to the defender. Ronaldo is probably the biggest culprit when it comes to this tactic, and when referres are awake to it he carries on like a spoilt brat waving his hands around like a girl. Referees need to start booking him for dissent to put a stop to this. Liverpool are getting the rub of the green this season, getting late goals and few decisions here and there, but it is no more than Man Utd and Chelsea got in their title winning seasons.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,264 posts | 2825 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #36: Nov 05, 2008 06:59:27 pm
      How any red can ever say they lost respect for Gerrard is beyond me. I didnt think he dived but if he did he isnt the first and wont be the last to do it.Lose respect for Gerrard? Hes a living Liverpool legend for christ sake
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #37: Nov 05, 2008 07:04:00 pm
      How any red can ever say they lost respect for Gerrard is beyond me. I didnt think he dived but if he did he isnt the first and wont be the last to do it.Lose respect for Gerrard? Hes a living Liverpool legend for christ sake

The Chelsea flirtations had a few people understandably questioning him fella, don't you forget! :D

All forgiven now of course! ;) ::)
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #38: Nov 05, 2008 07:21:54 pm
      i think it as a pen, a soft one, but a definite spotter.

i think the only reason some people got their knickers in a twist is that we should have had two other pens (and i've seen their two shouts given as well) that were even more nailed on than the one we got.  out of all the pens that shockin ref could have gave, he goes and gives the softest one.

at the end of the day, who gives a sh*t.  we got it.  we scored it.  now we move on
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #39: Nov 05, 2008 07:26:06 pm
      It was definetly a soft penalty. Gerrard did go down easily, but in that situation, one down with seconds left id expect him to do it every time. So he did the right thing in my opinion. A stronger referee would have waved it away.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #40: Nov 05, 2008 07:26:27 pm
      at the end of the day, who gives a sh*t.  we got it.  we scored it.  now we move on

My sentiments exactly.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #41: Nov 06, 2008 04:39:19 am
      Another reason these topics about diving came up is because it was in the 95th minute and we were 1 nil down
      berrypool
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 328 posts |
      • L.A. for LFC
      Reply #42: Nov 06, 2008 08:04:19 am
      I have had so many stupid friends send stupid youtube videos to me that show gerrard "diving" in other games.  anyone have any good rebuttles? All I have been saying is., "Foul on the field; penalty in the box"....
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
      Reply #43: Nov 06, 2008 01:28:19 pm
      Can Gerrard ever comment on other "divers" again or will he be deemed to be a hypocrite?

He has been labelled a hypocrite about it, in his autobiography talking of Ronaldo and how its ruining the game. Then you see about 7 or 8 instances from different games where Gerrard has dived.

Face it, he is prone to the odd dive. Have I lost respect for him NEVER

BTW, like it or not that was never a penalty against A.Madrid the other nigh, but hey, I'm not complaining.
      dannyboylfc
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 82 posts |
      • I Just Can't Get Enough!!!!
      Reply #44: Nov 06, 2008 01:43:20 pm
      personally i haven't lost my respect for stevie and im not saying it wasnt a penalty but if aguero or another player did that if we where one nil up in the 95th minute im sure alot of you woudnt be very happy but im not complaining 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6948 
      Reply #45: Nov 06, 2008 02:11:54 pm
      personally i haven't lost my respect for stevie and im not saying it wasnt a penalty but if aguero or another player did that if we where one nil up in the 95th minute im sure alot of you woudnt be very happy but im not complaining 

Of course.  It was a soft decision.  But it was a pretty stupid challenge - especially as Gerrard probably would have put the ball out for a goal kick.

Quick Reply