Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Kenny Dalglish on the Reds

Read 811 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Kenny Dalglish on the Reds
      Nov 06, 2008 03:18:50 pm
      Taken from the official site.

Having suffered just one unfortunate setback at Tottenham Hotspur so far and sitting joint top of both the Premier League and Champions League Group D, it's fair to say we can be pleased with the start we have made to the new season.

If someone had offered us this situation at the start of the season then we'd have taken it, but the big thing for me has been the number of positives we can take from the early weeks which should stand us in good stead as the months go by.

Beating Manchester United at home and Chelsea away were massive results, we've been consistent in Europe and this happy knack we have of scoring goals late in games can only serve us well.

It was the case on Tuesday night when Steven Gerrard scored in injury time to ensure we took a point from the game with Atletico Madrid. Okay, you want to win your home games, but I don't think the draw is too harmful to us and we are certainly well placed to qualify for the next phase of the competition. I just hope we can do enough in the next two Champions League games to win the group because it's always important to make life easier for yourselves if possible, and we should get a so-called easier game in the next round if we finish first.

We're winning or saving a lot of games with late goals at the moment and that, for me, is a great trait to have. The game is never finished until the referee tells you it is. Scoring late goals is wonderful and shows the character and desire within the team to never give up.

It would be lovely if we could win games in the first half and have no pressure – but at this level that is very hard to do. The quality of teams we are facing game after game means it's very difficult to get a number of goals ahead. You are never beaten until you are beaten and that's very much the attitude of this Liverpool team – and I don't just mean the starting eleven, but the substitutes who come on as well and make a contribution. It's a real squad effort and that augurs well for the future.

It was no surprise that Steven kept his nerve from the penalty spot to score against Atletico because he has shown time and time again that he is the man for the big occasion.

This month marks the ten year anniversary of Steven's Liverpool debut and all you can say is that his spell at the club has been marvellous. Look back over the years and there are plenty of examples where he has taken games by the scruff of the neck and dragged us through. Olympicaos at Anfield, AC Milan in Istanbul and West Ham in Cardiff are three that spring immediately to mind – but there are many others.

He has led by tremendous example for so many years and any accolades or adjectives to describe his contribution probably wouldn't begin to do him justice.

The longer he is here then the better for everyone connected with the football club and the more milestones he reaches then the happier everyone will be.

It's always really special if a local boy is having success doing something he really enjoys at a club he loves. Can it get any better than that? I doubt it.

Of course Steven's aim – and the aim of everyone this season – will be to win the championship and I'm sure the lads were boosted by the victories I mentioned earlier against both Manchester United and Chelsea.

It doesn't hurt confidence to beat top quality teams and make no mistake about it, Manchester United and Chelsea are two real high quality teams. If we finish above those two then we're going to end the season with a trophy and even if we split them up it will mean we have made progress from last season. Beating either of those sides – along with the Arsenals of this world – gives you great belief and then a greater chance of silverware.

But that doesn't mean we can take anything for granted against the other sides in the league because there is never an easy game. It's an old clichΓ© but it's very true.

We've got West Brom this weekend and as far as I'm concerned there's no point in looking at any fixtures beyond that. I never understand why people like to look weeks in advance. We've a game to play this Saturday and if we don't put in one hundred per cent commitment against West Brom then we could be in trouble.

I'm sure that won't be an issue though because our boys have shown time and again already this season that no-one need question their determination, hunger and desire to win football matches. They have nothing to prove to anyone in terms of their commitment and ability – they just have to go out there on Saturday, make life as uncomfortable as possible for West Brom and get the right result.

West Brom are a decent footballing side but you look at the fixture and certainly think to yourself that we should be walking away with three points at the end of it.

We'll have to wait and see if Fernando Torres has recovered from his injury in time to play. Although results have generally been good while Fernando has been out – of course those two victories over United and Chelsea were secured without him – there's no doubt we're a better side with him in it than out of it.

I also think Robbie Keane will benefit when Torres returns because he'll be able to move back into his preferred role. He's not a recognised striker but he has been doing a good job up there for the team. When Torres comes back I am sure you will see the real Robbie Keane in a Liverpool shirt. He was a very good buy and is a very good player. He wants to do well for the club he has supported and I'm sure he'll get the opportunity – but credit to him for doing a job in a position which wouldn't be his favourite.

While Robbie maybe hasn't scored as often as he would have liked so far, the same can't be said of Dirk Kuyt who has been among the goals regularly this season. Last year he seemed to save his goals for the Champions League so it's great to see them spreading across different competitions for him now, and arriving more regularly.

Dirk has had a really good season so far and it's always pleasing when someone who works so hard gets a reward. He is a very genuine boy who will always give everything he has and the fans definitely recognise and appreciate the effort he puts in. He deserves all the success he gets because he works his socks off for this team.

On a final note, it was interesting to hear that Diego Maradona wants to make Javier Mascherano his captain for Argentina.

I don't know if it will happen or even if Javier wants it, but whatever happens I'm sure it won't affect anything he does at Liverpool.

If he wants to captain his country then it looks like he has the perfect opportunity, but if he doesn't want to do it because he doesn't feel it will be helpful to him or his country then he is entitled to make that decision.

Clearly Maradona feels he could be influential as a captain and you can see why when you watch his performances for Liverpool. It's a great honour to be asked to captain your country and good luck to him if it's something he wants to do.

Quick Reply