Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Nathan Eccleston Player Thread

Read 41721 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Nathan Eccleston Player Thread
      Reply #46: Jan 10, 2010 01:52:18 pm
      Okay I deleted it, sorry about that, still if he has signed a new contract :D

It's alright mate, it slipped through while you read it. It happens.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #47: Jan 11, 2010 11:01:25 pm
      New contract for youngster

Nathan Eccleston has signed a new contract keeping him at Anfield until June 2013.

Big things are expected of the Manchester-born forward, who has represented England at youth level.

Eccleston was promoted to Melwood full-time ahead of this season before making his debut as a substitute in a Carling Cup fourth round clash with Arsenal at the Emirates in October.

A first Barclays Premier League appearance followed three days later as the 19-year-old was handed a late run out in a defeat to Fulham at Craven Cottage.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/new-contract-for-youngster
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #48: Jan 12, 2010 01:32:56 pm
      Very good news! He needs more 1st team opportunities, he was really unfortunate with the ones he got this season due to where he came on.. Would love to see Rafa having a keen interest on the youths like Arsen has done for his.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #49: Jan 12, 2010 01:59:04 pm
      Still a bit flash for my liking.  Needs to knuckle down and become a bit more a team player if he is to be handed some first team starts.

BUT... I don't think there has ever been a better opportunity for any of the youth/reserve strikers to try and make a name for themselves at Anfield.  With nothing significant after Torres, and with his ongoing injury struggles, the likes of Eccleston have really got to grab any opportunities that are handed their way.

He's promising so I'm glad the deal was finally done.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,662 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #50: Jan 12, 2010 02:57:31 pm
      Seems to think a lot of himself for a reserve player. Confidence is vital but looks like some arrogance in this kid.
      Although himself and Amoo play well together. Wouldnt mind them both getting a few games
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #51: Jan 29, 2010 10:07:31 am
      Terriers swoop for duo
      Striker moves on loan, left-back signs permanent deal

Last updated: 28th January 2010

Huddersfield have completed the double signing of striker Nathan Eccleston and defender Dean Heffernan.

Skysports.com revealed earlier in the week that the Terriers were in talks to sign Liverpool forward Eccleston on loan, and he moves to the Galpharm on a one-month deal until 2nd March.

The 19-year-old has made two appearances for the Reds this season, in the Carling Cupagainst Arsenal and in the Premier League against Fulham, and goes straight into the squad for the game against Yeovil on Saturday.

Heffernan, meanwhile, moves to Huddersfield on a permanent contract until the end of the season with the option to extend his deal.

The 29-year-old left-back moves from Australian side Central Coast Mariners, pending international clearance.

Qualities

Town manager Lee Clark was very pleased to add two players to his squad as Huddersfield push for promotion from League One.

He told the club's official website: "We have monitored Nathan for a long time and have had him watched by a number of scouts on many occasions.

"I have been to watch him myself along with the coaching staff and it is clear he has a lot of good qualities. He has real pace and can play anywhere across the front line, whether that is as a striker or on either wing.

"Dean needs to have a good run of games from now until the end of our season to cement his place in the World Cup squad so he has a huge incentive to come into Europe and play well.

"He has a lot of experience behind him and possesses a lot of qualities. He is a very fit lad, a real athlete and has very good pace. He should be a very big asset for us."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_5890264,00.html

Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #52: Jan 30, 2010 10:29:13 am
      Hopefully this isn't just a way to put him in the shop window. I wanted him to feature more this season or at least next season.

The likes of Eccleston and Pacheco could have been pivotal this season had they been given a chance.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #53: Jan 30, 2010 03:24:19 pm
      He's just scored for Huddersfield.

Didn't take him long did it.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #54: Jan 31, 2010 12:17:01 pm
      Yeap scored on his debut and seemed bloody happy with it.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #55: Mar 06, 2010 03:43:59 pm
      Bad day for Nathan today.

Straight red card for 'a shocking 2 footed tackle that drew gasps from the crowd' playing against Gillingham.

First card of his career as well.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #56: Mar 07, 2010 12:46:33 pm
      Bad day for Nathan today.

Straight red card for 'a shocking 2 footed tackle that drew gasps from the crowd' playing against Gillingham.

First card of his career as well.

The player he did it to, had been giving him grief all afternoon, I reckon Nathan has learnt a thing or two from Sotis!!
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #57: Mar 07, 2010 01:14:30 pm
      Haven't seen the incident yet, tried to catch it on the round up on SSN but missed it.
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #58: Mar 26, 2010 11:24:09 am
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #59: Mar 26, 2010 04:57:20 pm
      Good that he wants to come back in the summer and push for the first team rather than just go out on loan again or to sign for a new team like Anderson did.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #60: Mar 26, 2010 06:26:36 pm
      Says in the article above that he was back on the 2nd March? I guess that's incorrect?
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #61: Mar 26, 2010 08:42:54 pm
      Probably meant second of May.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #62: May 19, 2010 02:29:25 am
      Came on as a late sub tonight for Huddesfield but wasn't enough, they still went out of the playoffs to Millwall. Lee Peltier was playing for the Terriers to, at right back.

Not sure what to make of Eccleston's loan move to Huddesfield. Scored on his debut, ended up becoming a sub player for them. Mind you, from what I have seen of him there (and it's not too much in all honesty) he seems to be played more as a winger than a centre forward.

Hopefully he'll come back a better player. Being under the guidance of Terry Mc must improve your play, and he can start scoring a few for us.
      Lee_HTFC
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 34 posts |
      Reply #63: Jun 18, 2010 10:53:50 pm
      Seen this guy at Huddersfield Town, scored 1 goal, very fast but was quite poor TBH compared to Danny Drinkwater from Manchester United.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,662 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #64: Jul 15, 2010 10:43:55 am
      Interview with LFC.
      Not short of confidence and talent this young lad. Between himself and Ince we should have great young talent coming through on the left.

While Liverpool's World Cup stars take an extended break following their South Africa exertions, a youthful Reds squad travelled to Switzerland to crank up their planning for 2010-11 at a pre-season training camp earlier this week.

No other club from the Barclays Premier League had more representatives than Liverpool in the Rainbow Nation this summer - many of whom will now finally enjoy a well-earned holiday.

But for the Reds players who have already begun their preparations for the start of the new season, the situation presents them with the perfect opportunity to impress new gaffer Roy Hodgson.

Nathan Eccleston is one such starlet hoping to stake an early claim for more first-team action in the coming campaign.

The 19-year-old enjoyed a encouraging 2009-10 term, in which he made his senior bow, signed a new deal, starred for John McMahon's reserves and spent time on loan garnering experience with Huddersfield Town.

Here, in an exclusive interview with Liverpoolfc.tv, the livewire forward tells us his hopes and expectations for the forthcoming season, as well as explaining how he plans to impress Hodgson in Switzerland.

Well Nathan, Roy Hodgson is Liverpool's new manager. What's it been like working with him so far?

It was only a few days before Roy Hodgson was appointed that we knew who was going to take charge, so it's still taking a bit of getting used to because we've only been back a week, and for the first two or three days he was being shipped off everywhere doing interviews and things like that.

Around the training ground, he seems to be a well-respected guy. Obviously he demands respect off the players, which is good, but we young lads had an automatic respect for him and it's the same for the older players too. You can see with people like Alberto (Aquilani) and Lucas that there is a lot of respect there for him already.

Pre-season is notoriously tough on players. What's it been like up to now?

It's been difficult. We've had a lot of fitness guys arrive at the club from Australia and a new doctor and physio, and they've all been working us really hard. It's maybe the 'horrible' side of football, but it's pre-season and it's got to be done to make leeway for the future. We've got games coming up thick and fast, so it's important to be ready.

You've travelled with the first team to Switzerland for the training camp - are you looking forward to it?

Definitely. It's exciting and a new challenge for me. It's a great chance to impress the new manager - everybody is in the same boat now and we're all out to impress. Hopefully if I do a good job in Switzerland I will be in his plans for the future.

Click on the play button below to watch the interview.

Last summer you spent pre-season with the reserves. A year later you're with the first team. You must be happy with the progress you've made in your career so far?

Things have moved quickly. I was in the youth team and then, last year, I was in the reserves at the age of 18. I then made my first-team debut at Arsenal, signed a new contract and went out on loan. A lot has changed in the past year and I'm happy with it, but hopefully there will be bigger and better things to come.

It's not easy coming through the ranks of the youth team into the reserves and then onto the senior side is it?

Being at a big club like Liverpool, and especially being an English player, it is difficult because talent is brought in from all around the country as well as Europe and South America. Therefore, it has become more difficult over the last couple of years to break into the youth team. I've been here since I was in the U14s and I've come a long way, but I hope to make more of an impact in future and more progress in the first team. Fingers crossed that can happen this season.

Are you hopeful of getting a couple of games under your belt on this pre-season tour?

As I said, we've been working hard on our fitness for the game coming up on Saturday. Obviously the boss hasn't decided on his starting XI yet, but as long as I can get a good few minutes and the chance to show what I can do then I'll be more than happy.

You probably don't know much about Al-Hilal. Have you talked about them much or is this just a game for fitness and getting your touch back?

No, the manager is taking everything seriously. He said earlier this week it's a big game on Saturday and could be one of the most important of the season because it's the first one. Everyone will be going out to impress him and to try to win the game. It may be classed as a friendly, but every game is important and we've got to go out there and do the business.

You're putting in all the ground work for the new season now - how do you see it going?

It's hard to call at the moment because not everyone is back - we've still got about 12 players to return from the World Cup and I think the manager will also look to bring in his own players. But the setup is gelling together well at the moment. The manager has not brought in any new backroom staff yet, but the physios and new medical staff are all here and the atmosphere around the camp is buzzing and very lively. Hopefully we'll have a better season than last.

A word on World Cup. Obviously Sunday's final saw Torres and Reina come up against Kuyt and Babel. Has there been a bit of banter about it in training this week?

There was a bit of banter, yes. Alberto wanted Spain to win, which obviously they did do, but a lot of the players wanted Holland to win. There was good banter between us.

Were there a few 'good luck' text messages being sent?

Yeah. A lot of the boys were sending text messages to the lads involved before the final. It's unfortunate Fernando got injured, but he's still going to be delighted to have won the World Cup!

Finally, what would make Nathan Eccleston happy in the season ahead?

Breaking back into the first team, getting a couple more games under my belt, gaining some more experience and training with the boys on a regular basis. Hopefully I'll progress as a footballer, become better and then who knows? Let's see where the future takes me.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #65: Jul 15, 2010 12:28:37 pm
      Nice interview, that.
      liverpool9292
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts |
      Reply #66: Jul 15, 2010 09:16:45 pm
      seems to be a confident lad, hopefully he will get a chance this season!
      bobdeakin2009
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • Form is temporary, Class is permanent
      Reply #67: Jul 17, 2010 06:39:21 pm
      Sounds like he has a good head on young shoulders, he should be one to keep an eye on for the future.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #68: Sep 05, 2010 09:42:25 pm
      Nice finish at the weekend, more of the same please :)

Quick Reply