Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

General LFC Transfer Discussion (January 2009 Transfer Window)

Read 50367 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: General Transfer Discussion (January 2009 Transfer Window)
      Reply #23: Nov 15, 2008 11:47:08 am
      Defoe, good luck. He will never sign knowing that Robbie and Nando are here to fight with. He is playing for an England shirt, coming here will do him no good at all. Crouchy will inform him of it.

Santa Cruz, i doubt. He will want to come but Arse's previous interest as well as Scums mean they will inflate the price beyond any reason reaching Gareth Barry valuations.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #24: Nov 15, 2008 07:33:22 pm
      I doubt that we will be looking for much in the market during the window. We will get probably 1 or 2 players depending on the situation such as a long term injury which will require a new player asap.

I can't see us going for a striker when we have Torres, Keane, Kuyt, Babel and N'Gog who can play in that position and also the fact in a number of games we play with only one striker so it would be hard to lure anyone of real quality who will be on the bench for a lot of the time.

I think the main issue full-back position and really doesn't matter what way you look at it we could use a extra body in either left or right back. Even better if we could get a full-back who can cover play both sides (like we did when we bought Arboloa a couple of years ago). As far as players who could be bought, I would be looking more towards a right back than buying a left because we have Insua pushing through the system and the fact Degen is made of glass. I would love to see us take another shot at Rafinha, I was disappointed when we never landed him through the summer (or try to) when he was in a fight with his club over the Olympics. Anyukov is another right back who impressed me with his play in the UEFA Cup last season, Euro 2008 and this season in the Champions League for Zenit.

I also would not be surprised if Rafa might just pull one of those moves where we get a player from no where who most never really heard of which has happen in the past during this period with Arboloa, Agger and Skrtel.
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #25: Nov 15, 2008 07:44:32 pm
      Lionel Messi.
      Go and sign him, surely he's cheap. :P
      pauLFC4life
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts | -2 
      • The LFC Love Flows Forever
      Reply #26: Nov 15, 2008 11:50:40 pm
      i think we need a right winger desperately such as maxi rodriguez. good quality player. then again kuyt is doing rele well there and babel could play there with riera on the left
      pauLFC4life
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts | -2 
      Reply #27: Nov 16, 2008 12:01:40 am
      For me, Darby and Insua can offer us as much cover as any realistic target could for the full backs.

Personally I think we need a forward, now I know that might surprise a few, but if Keane/Torres gets injured (again) then we revert to one up front and I don't want to see that again this season. I'm sorry but Kuyt/Babel/Ngog have had chances up top and haven't taken them. I like the look of Nemeth and Pacecho but it's really if Benitez is brave enough to put them in. Realistic forwards I'd be lookin at are

1) Jermaine Defoe, he knows how to score which is more than you can say for our current back up forwards. Whether he'd move up north I'm not so sure, but he'd jump at the chance of Champions League football. Price...a lot lower than you'd expect with the finicial trouble Portsmouth currently find themselves in.

2) Santa Cruz, I know he hasn't quite hit the heights this year but he's still a top class forward. Again he knows how to score, and with givin Pennant to Blackburn to sweeten the deal, we might be able to get him for less than 10 mill.

3) Ebanks-Blake from Wolves, scores for fun in the Championship. If we're lookin for a bench player then he'd be the perfect foil, providin we don't mind an ex United player on our books. Would be relatively cheap.

4) Michael Owen, even half fit, would get double figures in terms of goals.

5) Kevin Doyle. Might surprise a few, but again he scores for in the Championship, scored a few in his first season in the Prem, it was only last year he struggled and that's because Reading didn't create chances. Plus he already has an understandin with Keane from their ROI connection.

Other possible targets (for each postion)

Keeper: Wayne Hennersay from Wolves, best keeper outside the Prem and is better than Cavalieri. Would be excellent cover for Reina.

Right back: Micah Richards, I really rate City's number 2 but he's probably too pricy for us this window.

Centre backs: Beevers from Sheff Wed, only 18 but already good enough for Premiership football and has had one or two glimpses from top flight clubs, includin Everton who've had big success with players from the Championship (Jagielka, Lescott, Cahill) so I think he'd be a real good buy, although we don't require a centre half too badly. Other centre half, simply for cover, Mark Hudson from Crystal Palace. Good in the air and would be quite cheap.

Left back: Joe Mattock, I'm a real fan of the Leicester left back and would hate to miss out on him because I think he has everythin to be a top Premiership full back. I know there's a few top flight clubs interested.

Right wing: Antonio Valencia from Wigan, every time I see him, I fail to see any major faults.

Centre mid: Don't really need any but Palacios from Wigan always impresses me and would be a better option than Lucas (not sayin much mind you) and the other would be Drew Surman from Southampton who produce some good youngsters, and Surman is just one of them. Being left footed, he'd add that bit of balance to the middle.

Left wing: Ashley Young, just think the fella is great. But probably too pricy and has just signed a long contract extension.

Forwards, listed above.

(I don't follow football outside of England, which is why all my targets are English based)

some bril ideas here and realistic targets to. i dont watch much championship footie but id luv to see either defoe come to anfield cuz imo he's the best finisher in the premiership including torres. however i want lil michael ack desperately. he would bang them in for us like he sued to guaranteed. when on form he's world class. pls bring him bk rafa
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #28: Nov 16, 2008 03:43:52 pm
      The proplem is that... well its  a good problem, we are at a stage when to improve our team, we need to spend alot of money. And we have..... *carry the one*..... £0 and $-60,000,000
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #29: Nov 16, 2008 11:02:14 pm
      Lionel Messi.
      Go and sign him, surely he's cheap. :P

Heard they want to sell him for £10? ;D
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #30: Nov 17, 2008 03:08:06 am
      With captain Masch in the squad, we can get Messi for free
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #31: Nov 17, 2008 10:20:38 am

some bril ideas here and realistic targets to. I dont watch much championship footie but id luv to see either defoe come to anfield cuz imo he's the best finisher in the premiership including torres. however I want lil michael ack desperately. he would bang them in for us like he sued to guaranteed. when on form he's world class. pls bring him bk rafa

What? Defoe has that many chances to score and fails several times, he needs 5 chances to score once. How is he the best finisher? He has a high rate of goals per game ratio but if thats what you mean. Torres is up there though.

And as for realistic, other than those in the Championship, Defoe, Owen and Santa Cruz are not realistic. Blackburn have one striker and they wont let him go cheap. Defoe, my reasons are stated above and Owen cant get what he wants at St James', how will he get what he wants here?
      DMS
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 71 posts |
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #32: Nov 17, 2008 09:23:44 pm
      transfer out the yanks and bring in DIC
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #33: Nov 17, 2008 09:50:35 pm
      I want too see Luis Suarez (Ajax) and Pato (Milan) playin for reds. I know it will never happen tho.
      imo Pennat will leave in Jan. and we wont sign anybody. Then Dossena out in summer, and the money from both of the players plus a little bit more for a class LB in the summer.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #34: Nov 18, 2008 09:41:33 am
      I want too see Luis Suarez (Ajax) and Pato (Milan) playin for reds. I know it will never happen tho.
      imo Pennat will leave in Jan. and we wont sign anybody. Then Dossena out in summer, and the money from both of the players plus a little bit more for a class LB in the summer.

It might never happen but whats wrong with dreamin eh :) haha.
      I agree with everything you said in this comment mate. Pennant is surplus to requirements and dossena has been a total failure up to yet.
      dannyboylfc
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 82 posts |
      • I Just Can't Get Enough!!!!
      Reply #35: Nov 18, 2008 02:14:48 pm
      I think we should sign a left back and get rid of dossena
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,462 posts | 4591 
      Reply #36: Nov 18, 2008 02:39:58 pm
      for the short term get heinze from madrid to replace dossaena,sell pennant and get in simao,sell babel and get in zaki?
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #37: Nov 18, 2008 05:22:24 pm
      for the short term get heinze from madrid to replace dossaena,sell pennant and get in simao,sell babel and get in zaki?

Heinze is in terrible form this season for Real, he wouldn't be much of a improvement over Dossena
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3717 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #38: Nov 18, 2008 05:26:14 pm
      Liverpool join scramble for Hajduk Split striker Kalinic
      18.11.08 | aloadofw**k.com

Liverpool are eyeing Hajduk Split striker Nikola Kalinic.

Hajduk Split have already rejected an approach from Valencia for the 20 year-old Croatia international in recent weeks.

And Split sources say Liverpool have now made their interest known, with Palermo and Lille also keen on a player described as a "the future of Croatian football" by national team boss Slaven Bilic.

I know that this website (tridal) is the worst link :)
      pauLFC4life
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts | -2 
      David Silva
      Reply #39: Nov 19, 2008 06:00:42 pm
      Silva?
      pauLFC4life
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts | -2 
      Reply #40: Nov 19, 2008 06:03:45 pm
      i think buy messi, kaka and Cannavaro :D
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Re: David Silva
      Reply #41: Nov 19, 2008 07:24:08 pm
      Hmm, any chance you could go into a little more detail?  :f_tongueincheek:

For example - is there an article anywhere linking us to him, or is he just a player you'd like us to sign?

If he's just on your wishlist, you should probably stick to the General Discussion thread.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: David Silva
      Reply #42: Nov 19, 2008 07:35:19 pm

Silva ?? What about him ?  :confused-smiley-013:
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,023 posts | 3352 
      Reply #43: Nov 19, 2008 11:09:48 pm

He's not as good as Goldie Locks or the three bears :laugh: but is twice the player the man of steal is in Rugby.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #44: Nov 21, 2008 09:38:15 am
      I think buy messi, kaka and Cannavaro :D

Love your style of players ;D

All of £50 ;) Money well spent IMO :)!!.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3717 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #45: Nov 23, 2008 01:11:17 pm
       :f_steam:  :mad: Another media bullshit from the worst gossip website but I could not resist not to post it 'cos we could make a laugh. although if we swap benayoun with elano is not a problem but with darby involved in it, it is a stupid media pooo.

Liverpool to offer Benayoun, Darby for Man City's unhappy Elano
      23.11.08 | aloadofw**k.com

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is chasing Manchester City midfielder Elano.

The News of the World says Liverpool are ready to offer Yossi Benayoun to City in a swap for unhappy Brazilian Elano.

City value their Brazilian attacking midfielder slightly higher than the 28-year-old Benayoun and would want a cash or player makeweight.

It's understood Liverpool might be willing to throw 20-year-old left- back Stephen Darby into the deal.

:lmao:  :lmao:  ;D  :D

Quick Reply