Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Xabi Alonso : I'm hungry.

Read 3306 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Xabi Alonso : I'm hungry.
      Nov 11, 2008 11:27:54 am
      ALONSO: EURO SUCCESS INSPIRED ME
      Jimmy Rice 11 November 2008

Xabi Alonso claims victory in Euro 2008 made him and his fellow Spaniards even hungrier for club success.

The 26-year-old was one of four Liverpool players in the squad as Spain won their first trophy since 1964.

Now back on Merseyside, Alonso insists that he, Fernando Torres, Alvaro Arbeloa and Pepe Reina have no intention of resting on their laurels.

The midfielder told the official LFC Magazine: "I have taken a lot of confidence from our success with Spain in the summer. I might not have started the games because the coach had a pre-defined team in his mind and it worked really well.

"But I was an important substitute and I felt I was able to play my own part in that success. I helped close games out and made some contributions.

"Winning becomes a habit. I never understand the idea that winning trophies can somehow make players less hungry.

"I want more. I listen to Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher talking and they have won more things than I have won. They say it makes them hungrier for more and I am the same.

"I came home and put away my medal in the drawer alongside the FA Cup and Champions League ones, then started thinking immediately about winning trophies and medals with Liverpool."

Alonso notched up three substitute appearances during Euro 2008 and captained Spain in their final group game against Greece.

His form since returning to Anfield has had the Kop purring.

He added: "Personally, I am happy with my present form. But I can improve and that's my focus.

"I am a midfielder. I prefer to be thought of not as a defensive midfielder but as a central midfielder. That means I should be trying to get into more scoring positions and influencing the game higher up the pitch when the chance presents itself.

"You can always improve in football. You can never believe that you can't because pretty soon you will find yourself out of the team."
      « Last Edit: May 19, 2009 04:22:25 am by Ad »
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Xabi Alonso : I'm hungry.
      Reply #1: Nov 11, 2008 11:34:02 am
      Xabi an absolute legend in my eyes, has really been on top of his game this season and I hope that  long it may continue. He has been instrumental to our cause this season and based on that article I think it confirms he does not want to go anywhere yet and is fully determined to bring success to LFC.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2: Nov 11, 2008 01:20:15 pm
      Cracking player a real Liverpool type player. I have a fear however that with Nando back it may well be Xabi who loses out. I hope not as I think its his form pulling the strings in midfield that has us up top of the table. Id go out of my to fit him in to my 11
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #3: Nov 11, 2008 02:03:25 pm
      I personally feel Xabi is a starter. He needs to be in the first 11 every game. If he's sold, everyone would certainly miss his passing and vision. Players like Pepe,Xabi, Stevie, Jamie, Javier and Fernando need to start. Then just pick the rest of the 5.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #4: Nov 11, 2008 02:11:57 pm
      To be honest it was a shocker to think we nearly got rid of him this summer. 

Well in Tom and George.   :f_tongueincheek:
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #5: Nov 11, 2008 02:14:45 pm
      It's sad that we wanted to sell him to raise funds. I really like him alot. He may not score alot of goals but he is important in connecting the attack and defence. Vision and passing? Those qualities are difficult to be found in a player worth 10.5 million. and his attitude and personality probably makes him 25 million.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #6: Nov 11, 2008 04:40:05 pm
      with the axe hovering over his head in the summer,he has upped his game.
      glad he has stayed.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,637 posts | 130 
      Reply #7: Nov 11, 2008 06:41:03 pm
      In my eyes it would be a big misstate if we let him leave....
      Alonso to stay | Barry never bring in!
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #8: Nov 11, 2008 07:18:46 pm
      I will be perfectly honest. I was one of those sad, narrow minded people who were eventually convinced to let xabi go and bring in GB. I have always loved xabi (but not in a gay way) so i would like to apologise to him because he is one of best players in the team
      mkj1972
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 764 posts |
      Reply #9: Nov 11, 2008 07:27:31 pm
      Perhaps Rafa chasing Gareth Barry over the summer gave Xabi the kick up the arse he needed,but it is good to hear him say he is hungry to win more medals after helping Spain win Euro 2008 and hopefully he will add more medals to the ones he has already won with us. Last season he was dissapointing for Liverpool and i think he would be the first to admit it,this season he seems to be up for it.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #10: Nov 11, 2008 07:38:50 pm
      Whichever one of our two holding mids we drop, if at all, we lose out. Drop Xabi, and we miss his great vision and passing, drop Masch, and we have a less secure back 4. Dilemma.
      Xavi 1
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts |
      Reply #11: Nov 11, 2008 08:54:38 pm
      Totally agree with all of the above sentiments.  Barry is not fit to lace Xavi's boots as good as Barry is he is, he is no Alonso and never will be, Barry will run all day and work hard but ask him to do what Xavi does and their is only one winner for me.  In saying that, you can never second Guess Benitez, there seemed to be cracks appearing in his relationship with Alonso, have they fully been covered I dont know.  I hope for Liverpool's sake they Keep Alonso, but It would not surprise me in the slightest to see Barry coming in. prob next summer cant see it happening in the winter window, and jus maybe Xavi making way, plus Barry is versatile so maybe u could play him on the left,  I do think Barry is a good player, and a good addition for the reds if we can get him, but not at the expense of Alonso. 
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #12: Nov 11, 2008 08:56:31 pm
      Whichever one of our two holding mids we drop, if at all, we lose out. Drop Xabi, and we miss his great vision and passing, drop Masch, and we have a less secure back 4. Dilemma.

4-2-3-1 was the perfect formation.
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #13: Nov 11, 2008 09:32:10 pm
      Im hungry to, pizza anyone?
      mkj1972
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 764 posts |
      Reply #14: Nov 11, 2008 09:42:30 pm

Yes please mate!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #15: Nov 11, 2008 10:02:57 pm
      Totally agree with all of the above sentiments.  Barry is not fit to lace Xavi's boots as good as Barry is he is, he is no Alonso and never will be, Barry will run all day and work hard but ask him to do what Xavi does and their is only one winner for me.  In saying that, you can never second Guess Benitez, there seemed to be cracks appearing in his relationship with Alonso, have they fully been covered I dont know.  I hope for Liverpool's sake they Keep Alonso, but It would not surprise me in the slightest to see Barry coming in. prob next summer cant see it happening in the winter window, and jus maybe Xavi making way, plus Barry is versatile so maybe u could play him on the left,  I do think Barry is a good player, and a good addition for the reds if we can get him, but not at the expense of Alonso. 

His name is Xabi..........not Xavi  ::)
      mkj1972
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 764 posts |
      Reply #16: Nov 11, 2008 10:09:21 pm

Well spotted MsG
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #17: Nov 12, 2008 02:02:21 am
      I'm pretty sure Gareth Barry won't score some 70 yard goals :P. It's amazing how Xabi can even get those on target. I can't even hit the target from 30 yards. How about Xabi's pass to Keane in the champions league game at Anfield? It was like 80 yards.

I really like Xabi. If he does help the team win trophies this season or even have some major impacts in games, I hope the change their minds about letting him go cause you ain't gonna find a quality like this.
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
      Reply #18: Nov 12, 2008 03:11:05 am

Thats right girl you tell em. :)
      Xavi 1
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts |
      Reply #19: Nov 12, 2008 09:56:08 am
      Ms Gerrard, I do apologise and ur 100% correct, how could I have went through that whole post spelling his name wrong.  I stand corrected. 
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #20: Nov 12, 2008 10:24:46 am
      Ms Gerrard, I do apologise and ur 100% correct, how could I have went through that whole post spelling his name wrong.  I stand corrected. 

And in your username too! ;)

But I agree with some of your comments. I was gutted during the summer that we seemed to want to offload Alonso, despite his drop in performances due to his injury Xabi still was obviously a class act.

I'm really pleased for him that he's fought back to make himself an essential part of our first team, it's a testament to his character and resolve! He could easily have been discouraged or tried to force a transfer, but instead he focused on getting back on top of his game, bouyed by Spain's triumph in the Euros.

Not only that, at nearly 27, he's still got several good years ahead of him, especially when we consider that his game is based on passing, anticipation and playmaking, rather than outright pace. Let's hope he can play a vital part in bringing home number 19 as a key member of our tremendous midfield!
      Xavi 1
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts |
      Reply #21: Nov 12, 2008 02:16:14 pm
      ayrton I was waiting on someone pointing out I had spelt it wrong in my Username as weel, I have slipped up there badly. ;D, I tell u any future post wil bee checked and checked again, I can make slip ups like that an come on the forum giving my pennies worth , Ha Ha. 
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #22: Nov 12, 2008 03:36:13 pm
      Maybe you're just a fan of Xavi Hernandez :o
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #23: Nov 12, 2008 03:38:06 pm

Easy mistake, the "B" key is right next to the "V" key. And that's the excuse you will use from now on ;)
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #24: Nov 12, 2008 03:43:49 pm
      Or just say you're a Xavi Hernandez fan :O
      helsbells
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #25: Nov 12, 2008 04:28:27 pm
      Heya Everyone!

just to let everyone know I just started a facebook group to share the Xabi love!

I have added lots of photos & videos

please feel free to come join & have fun & share piccies

after only 10 days we already have almost 120 members

dont forget to invite any fellow Xabi fans you may know to join us to

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=93210900566

;D

Hels
      x

Quick Reply