Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Bolton v Liverpool - Match Thread

Read 33634 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Bolton v Liverpool - Match Thread
      Reply #253: Nov 15, 2008 03:13:45 pm
      I think maybe the blood rushed to lucases head.

That must surely explain why his head was too slow in making contact.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #254: Nov 15, 2008 03:14:43 pm
      Deserved win, but I was worried in the second half there. Looked like we were expecting another easy half.

Keane and Gerrard's misses were painful to see. Thankfully Gerrard redeemed himself with a little help from a player who has a great understanding with him. I wasn't surprised to see Keane taken off and be denied the chance to put that terrible miss to bed. It worked out for the team in any case though.

There's one or two other things you could nitpick on, but we got the job done. Get in!!

Very important three points in the bag. Should be putting these games to bed sooner though.

Massive shout to our brilliant traveling reds!! Pure class support again today.

By the way. Did anyone notice Benayoun's comedy face when he came on for Reira?  :lmao: I'll post a pic in the pictures thread.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #255: Nov 15, 2008 03:18:54 pm
      3 points. Top fo the table for now.

Enough Said.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #256: Nov 15, 2008 03:19:50 pm
      Both Keane and Gerrard choked in front of goal too, would you shoot them as well?

There was an element of irony in my post that you seem to have missed.

To make things clear : I don't wish the shooting or otherwise maiming of any of our players. Thank you.
      crouchysrobot
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 311 posts |
      Reply #257: Nov 15, 2008 03:22:31 pm
      There was an element of irony in my post that you seem to have missed.

To make things clear : I don't wish the shooting or otherwise maiming of any of our players. Thank you.
      I just thought it was funny that you singled out Lucas that's all
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #258: Nov 15, 2008 03:23:20 pm
      I just thought it was funny that you singled out Lucas that's all

Because it was the last chance of the match, that's all.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #259: Nov 15, 2008 03:24:40 pm
      Special mention to Sammy Lee though. Must have been emotional to come back and looked to have enjoyed himself.

Our day was a moment away from getting much, much better. Almunia saves a penalty from Young.

And now Sidwell's shot saved. Argh.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #260: Nov 15, 2008 03:31:48 pm
      Another great result.  32 points from 13 games is not to be sniffed at.  10 wins 2 draws and 1 defeat is a fantastic start no question.

We said November was going to be really interesting to see if we could start beating these sides we notoriously struggle against. Today we should have had more goals.  If it comes down to goal difference then these will be the games that we will look at - however in saying that - if it were to come down to goal difference at the end then I think we will agree we will have had a great season.

Despite most of our reservations, Kuyt has been doing well on the right wing.  Unlucky to hit the crossbar and took his goal well. Good to see the Torres-Gerrard link up back in action as well, and thought Aurelio had a good game.  Probably make left back his now.

No injuries to report either - just a broken tooth!
      Stevie G-ks
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #261: Nov 15, 2008 03:33:18 pm
      happy all of you Liverpool win against bolton  8)

From KOSOVO
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #262: Nov 15, 2008 03:34:57 pm
      thought Aurelio had a good game.

Me too. Thought he was good today - felt a lot more safe with him there. And it was great to see him back on the pitch when he went down from that elbow.
      Stevie G-ks
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #263: Nov 15, 2008 03:46:13 pm
      I think Xabi Alonso was one of the best -  man of the match
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #264: Nov 15, 2008 03:49:51 pm
      Rafa Post Match Reaction

“We worked really hard and played really, really well in the first half. We were under pressure in the second because they were pushing and being more physical. But the question was to finish the game with a second goal and we did.

“It could have been more but a 2-0 win away to Bolton, who have been doing well in the last two games, is good.

“It’s important for us and our fans. We were not very happy after losing in the Carling Cup but the team did well and we are really pleased to be top.”

(on Alonso’s form)

“Clearly he is playing well.

“He played really well in his first year too. Okay, now he has more confidence and the players around him are maybe better too, like Gerrard and Javier Mascherano.

“It makes it easier for a midfielder when they have good movements of people like Fernando Torres and Robbie Keane in front.”

(on the disallowed Bolton goal)

“There is a rule that says the six-yard box is for the ‘keeper, so if you have three players around the ‘keeper and he cannot get to the ball, it’s obstruction and it’s an indirect free-kick. It’s very clear that these are the rules.

“These are the international rules and I have said this since I arrived here.”
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #265: Nov 15, 2008 03:50:26 pm
      Few records:

2nd win in 5 years at the Reebok but 2nd in a row.

Megson has come up agianst Liverpool 6 times now as manager and lost all 6.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #266: Nov 15, 2008 03:51:30 pm
      I think Aurelio had a good game, maybe wanted to score against them again.
      I don't remember seeing Agger's face hit the post, i know his leg did but not his face.
      Could have been more goals. Kuyt's and Torres' post. Stevie, Robbie and Lucas' misses. 7-0 zomg.

We have now got our best start to a league season.
      We have collected 6 out of possible 9 this month :D hurray
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #267: Nov 15, 2008 03:52:17 pm
      The disallowed goal was one of the few decisions that sh*te ref Styles got right. Should never of stood, fortunately (for us) it didn't.
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Reply #268: Nov 15, 2008 03:56:38 pm
      I don't remember seeing Agger's face hit the post, I know his leg did but not his face.

His leg hit the post and his face hit his knee :D not really something to smile about tho. . .
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #269: Nov 15, 2008 03:58:11 pm
      1453: "Well done Liverpool, you have shown your character and resolve by beating Bolton. Things look like they are finally falling in to place for you, and it looks like you will be strong title contenders this season. The Liverpool team of this season has something that previous Liverpool sides under Benitez have lacked, and that is consistency. There is still a long way to go however, but may the best team win. From a Man Utd fan."
      Riquelminho on 606
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #270: Nov 15, 2008 04:23:16 pm
      Well the result didn't do us justice. Could have been and should have been 7. I'm still a bit concerned when we miss these chances as Bolton did have a couple of chances themselves. Could have been 2-2 at one stage. We do need to be a bit more clinical in front of goal, anyway, another 3 difficult points and we still haven't hit top form. I don't see our main rivals giving too much away today which makes them points even more important. March on lads, hopefully to No 19........
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #271: Nov 15, 2008 06:51:08 pm
      93 man u
      94 man u
      95 blackburn
      96 man u
      97 man u
      98 arsenal
      99 man u
      00 man u
      01 man u
      02 arsenal
      03 man u
      04 arsenal
      05 chelsea
      06 chelsea
      07 man u
      08 man u
      09 ------

Liverpool fans must be in their seventh heaven, winning matches with Torres not being a factor, Keane fluffing tap ins from 3 yards out, and Gerrard not dominating as he can do.
      This surely must translate to a greater depth in players, and the dream of winning the title is growing more realistic every week. Kuyt is on fire, and the wide play today was impressive, equally so Riera on the left. Chelsea seem the biggest threat, although one cant discount United, I think Arsenal have just about dropped out of contention. Who will be champions in 2009?
      My perspective on the odds now
      Chelsea 40%
      Liverpool 35%
      Man Utd 25%
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #272: Nov 15, 2008 06:53:31 pm
      Dirk Kuyt has found his scoring boots of late in the Premiership 5 goals in the last 7 games and doing this for the most part on the right wing. When you look at him when he is shoot he looks much more a threat to score and is getting real power in the shot not like last season.
      scouseuk
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 106 posts | -3 
      Reply #273: Nov 15, 2008 06:58:55 pm
      the man is coming good
      lets hope he keeps scoring ;D
      and keane

Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #274: Nov 15, 2008 07:04:11 pm
      Dirk's on fire this season. Long may it last!
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #275: Nov 15, 2008 07:29:00 pm
      What a peculiar night it was. I watched the Liverpool match and fell asleep on the couch during the first half of the Man Utd match. Have you ever started dreaming while the tv is on in the background, and the tv show becomes all mixed up with your dream?  There I was, the goalkeeper in a Premier League match. Somehow I was playing in goal, something I have never done, in fact I was a striker in my junior soccer days, and never played seniors. Strangely I was not sure who I was playing for, but as the game unfolded I worked it out that Man Utd were playing Everton, and to my amazement I realised I was in goal for Everton.
      I felt weird, because I was out of my depth, but nobody on the pitch seemed to realise who I was, and they assumed I was a regular keeper. I knew I wouldnt be able to stop the ball going in the net, and just hoped against hope that my defence could keep it out. In the first half, two times the ball went into the net past me, but both times I quickly grabbed it out from the net and nobody seemed to notice. The shots were so weak, from so far out, I think they all assumed that I had saved the ball. The crowd knew, and they were jeering me for bad sportsmanship, and all I could think about was how the players and referee would find out about my dishonesty at half time. Never mind, it was exciting this business of playing Premier League, and I was gonna make the most of every minute.
      Man Utd had a corner, and I wandered over to Ronaldo, and whispered to him that I thought he was the best player in the League, and he winked at me and said, hey thanks for saying so. I started to gain in confidence, and when I took the goal kicks I was kicking it right up to the edge of the penalty box and people started to compliment me on it. Even the ref was remarking on it, but thats the way dreams are, weird at times, nothing makes much sense. Something else was weird and didn't make sense, Steven Gerrard was playing against me, and he realised I was not too good, and started to take shots from the half way line. It was not until I woke up that I realised the fact that he didnt play for United, but then again it didnt seem all that weird at the time when my dad brought the sliced orange quarters out for us at half time.
      The climax of the dream came when I was to face a penalty, and I was petrified, but to narrow the angle I moved out to only one yard in front of the ball, which made me even more scared, although the ref didnt seem to notice so all that remained was the decision of which way to dive. Luckily, I went the right way, and then woke up. I just hope the next time I drift off to the football, I can be a striker!!!!!!

Quick Reply