Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Atletico ref considered quitting

Read 2801 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Atletico ref considered quitting
      Nov 19, 2008 05:41:23 pm
      Hansson reveals death threats
      Swedish ref hounded over penalty decision

Martin Hansson has revealed he has been on the end of death threats following the controversial conclusion to Liverpool's clash against Atletico Madrid at Anfield.

The Liga outfit had been heading towards a crucial 1-0 success in their UEFA Champions League clash earlier this month only for The Reds to be awarded a last-gasp penalty.

Marian Pernia jumped with (jumped into, more like Sky  ::)) Steven Gerrard in the box - but it was deemed an illegal manoeuvre by Swedish referee Hansson and his assistant. Gerrard then equalised with virtually the last kick of the game.

Atletico thought they should have claimed a famous win at Anfield and clearly one or two individuals have taken a dim view on Hansson's decision by hounding the official.

"I have received death threats. It has been horrible and feels very uncomfortable," he told the Sport-Expressen.

"I had enough. The phone ran all the time and I had a great many text messages. I am pretty used to this, but now I've had enough. It has been very threatening. I feel completely fed up, quite simply.

Martin Hansson has revealed he has been on the end of death threats following the controversial conclusion to Liverpool's clash against Atletico Madrid at Anfield.

The Liga outfit had been heading towards a crucial 1-0 success in their UEFA Champions League clash earlier this month only for The Reds to be awarded a last-gasp penalty.

Marian Pernia jumped with Steven Gerrard in the box - but it was deemed an illegal manoeuvre by Swedish referee Hansson and his assistant. Gerrard then equalised with virtually the last kick of the game.

Atletico thought they should have claimed a famous win at Anfield and clearly one or two individuals have taken a dim view on Hansson's decision by hounding the official.

"I have always had my mobile phone on and my number has been on the network. Now it no longer works. I'm sad that I can't be as open as I once was.

"I have notified the police that there have been threats against my life. But it is difficult for the police to prove."

Battle on

Despite Hansson's off-the-field problems, he has vowed not to walk away from the game like compatriot Anders Frisk.

"I know that it is not worth getting upset about it, and I'll keep on refereeing because I like it," he continued.

"I want to continue to believe that football can do a lot of good and it would be sad if these dark forces had any influence on me.

"I thought about quitting, absolutely, but I have made my decision to continue. But I never considered it (quitting) as much as right now."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_4521693,00.html

Taking it a bit far these Atletico fans don't you think? I mean it was hardly a European Cup final, and it's not like they're still not practically guaranteed going through to the next round, possibly as leaders?

Crazy bas**rds.
      pauLFC4life
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts | -2 
      • The LFC Love Flows Forever
      Re: Atletico ref considered quitting
      Reply #1: Nov 19, 2008 05:43:41 pm
      dont give a sh*t we got our point and life goes on. get over it atletico.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #2: Nov 19, 2008 09:47:52 pm
      dont give a sh*t we got our point and life goes on. get over it atletico.

Call me a c*** but my thoughts exactly...
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #3: Nov 20, 2008 01:47:22 am
      Dont see what the fuss is about I mean they are still top of the group with 2 games to go.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #4: Nov 20, 2008 02:20:22 am
      Let's just qualify together. After all we have strong bonds with Atletico.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #5: Nov 20, 2008 06:31:53 am
      Death threats are a bit over the top. It's a football game.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6735 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #6: Nov 20, 2008 07:58:59 am
      Death threats are a bit over the top. It's a football game.

exactly right.  ::)

How in the hell though, do they get the ref's phone number...what a scary world we live in.  :-\
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #7: Nov 20, 2008 08:40:38 am
      Some fans are so uninformed! Reminds me of the Fatal shooting of Columbian player Escobar by a Columbian fan following Escobar's own goal in a match against USA that knocked Columbia out of the 1994 world Cup.

Atletico fans need to get a life!
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #8: Nov 20, 2008 09:28:27 am
      A Quote from Wikipedia

â€œOn July 2, 1994, Escobar was shot outside "El Indio" bar, located in a Medellín suburb. According to Escobar's girlfriend, the killer shouted "Gooooooooooooool!" (mimicking South American sporting commentators for their calls after a goal is scored) for each of the 12 bullets fired[citation needed].
      The murder was widely believed to be a punishment for the own goal.It is not clear whether the murderer acted on his own initiative, or whether he was sent out by one of the gambling syndicates who had bet large amounts of money on Colombia to qualify for the second round. The BBC issued an apology the following day after its pundit Alan Hansen commented on another match that "the Argentine defender wants shooting for a mistake like that."   (Jocky as subtle as a hand grenade!)

It’s a good job Phil Neville doesn’t play in South America as with his record of own goals he wouldn’t be able to set foot out the house without someone taking a pot shot at him, although I do think he would fit right in down Columbia way as he does have a look of latino about him (think Tevez with a nit nurse haircut!)
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #9: Nov 20, 2008 01:59:23 pm
      Scum,only a low grade fan would do this..
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #10: Nov 21, 2008 06:10:58 am
      Wow. Shows how much faith they have in their team to qualify if they dont see them beating PSV and Marseille. I'm sure they would have taken 2 draws against us before we played anyway. Some people.
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #11: Nov 21, 2008 12:26:23 pm
      Not acceptable! death threats against someone in charge of a game????  as much as i love this game and Liverpool FC, i do have a sound perspective on life like most. it seems that a minority of people do not!  >:(
      vydex
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | -5 
      Reply #12: Nov 22, 2008 08:58:16 am
      Have to say that the atletico lot we met at anfield in the arkles after the game were a good bunch of lads swapping shirts and scarves and whatnot, but it just goes to show that element of scumbags which surround every club no matter where you go. Pathetic really win lose or draw you have to forget and get on with the next game, I wonder what this fan did to the ref of the game between them and Barcelona when atletico got hammered 6-1.

Quick Reply