Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Yossi: Play me or I'm off

Read 10781 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Yossi: Play me or I'm off
      Nov 18, 2008 09:17:15 pm
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1087107/Frustrated-Yossi-warns-Benitez-Ill-quit-Anfield-dont-need-me.html?ITO=1490

Frustrated Yossi warns Benitez: I'll quit Anfield if you don't need me

By JOHN EDWARDS
      Last updated at 8:39 PM on 18th November 2008

Yossi Benayoun has revealed for the first time that he will quit Anfield in the New Year if he is still on the fringes of Rafa Benitez's squad.

Liverpool's £6million signing from West Ham has always insisted he is happy to stay and fight for a place in Benitez's starting line-up, despite strong interest from Ajax, Spartak Moscow and Manchester City in recent months.

But, as he prepared for Israel's Tel Aviv meeting with the Ivory Coast, he admitted he was running out of patience and ready to push for a move - abroad, if need be - when the January window opens.

'If the situation remains the same over the next few months, and I'm not getting more time in the middle, I will not want to continue as a Liverpool player,' he told Israel's Channel Five TV station. 'The fact that I have spent so much time on the bench, while there has been a winning formula on the pitch, tells you everything.

'I hope it changes for me, because I want to stay and prove myself, but it won't be easy. I know I'm at one of the biggest clubs in the world, and that there are many good players like Ryan Babel and Jermaine Pennant who sometimes aren't even in the squad, but it's not much fun sitting on the bench all the time.

Talented squad: Boss Rafa has a wealth of talented midfielders - but this glut of talent is taking its toll on Benayoun

'I always wanted to prove myself good enough for Liverpool, and I thought I did well last season to contribute so many goals and assists. But there seems to be more competition for places this time, and if I continue to be on the sidelines, I would not want to stay, even though it is Liverpool.

'Maybe I will have to accept that and start learning another language, such as Italian or French or even Russian.'
      ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ _

I really like Benanyun! He adds that additional bite to our attack, especially when he comes in from the right wing. He is able to take on and get past defender; his only shortcoming being his light weight as he gets brushed off the ball easily.

He is a darn good player!

What I don't like is players talking to the Manager through the media! Whatever happened to the good ol' "Meeting with the bossman?"

Is there a problem also brewing here? Do we have way too many midfielders that the club really needs?

Is RM Kuyt the problem, as Rafa is unwilling to do without him thereby throwing the careers of the likes of Babel, Pennant & Benanyun in jeopardy?

The exit of Pennant, Benanyun and Maybe Babel will definitely look more like brain drain to me.

We can not continue to call them (Pennant & Benny) weak players if they dont get to play often enough. If we get to bring Jesus Narvas and he spends half the season on the bench, he wont be better than anyone we let go off.

Is our squad too big its beginning to hurt careers?

« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2008 12:24:48 am by JD »
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 896 
      Benayoun warns Rafa: I'll quit Anfield if........
      Reply #1: Nov 18, 2008 09:21:50 pm
      Frustrated Yossi warns Benitez: I'll quit Anfield if you don't need me

Yossi Benayoun has revealed for the first time that he will quit Anfield in the New Year if he is still on the fringes of Rafa Benitez's squad.
      Liverpool's £6million signing from West Ham has always insisted he is happy to stay and fight for a place in Benitez's starting line-up, despite strong interest from Ajax, Spartak Moscow and Manchester City in recent months.
      But, as he prepared for Israel's Tel Aviv meeting with the Ivory Coast, he admitted he was running out of patience and ready to push for a move - abroad, if need be - when the January window opens.

'If the situation remains the same over the next few months, and I'm not getting more time in the middle, I will not want to continue as a Liverpool player,' he told Israel's Channel Five TV station. 'The fact that I have spent so much time on the bench, while there has been a winning formula on the pitch, tells you everything

'I hope it changes for me, because I want to stay and prove myself, but it won't be easy. I know I'm at one of the biggest clubs in the world, and that there are many good players like Ryan Babel and Jermaine Pennant who sometimes aren't even in the squad, but it's not much fun sitting on the bench all the time.

'I always wanted to prove myself good enough for Liverpool, and I thought I did well last season to contribute so many goals and assists. But there seems to be more competition for places this time, and if I continue to be on the sidelines, I would not want to stay, even though it is Liverpool.
      'Maybe I will have to accept that and start learning another language, such as Italian or French or even Russian.'

first babel, now yossi. this cant be good for our title chase.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #2: Nov 18, 2008 09:33:30 pm
      Has he heard of the expression, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'? The fact is Gerrard, Mascherano and Alonso are world class midfielders that aren't going to be moved, especially when they're playing well.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3: Nov 18, 2008 09:34:08 pm
      I was thinking to myself the other day that i could see him leaving in the winter.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #4: Nov 18, 2008 10:24:37 pm
      Ta ra Yossi, six months too late though fella.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Re: Yossi: Play me or I'm off
      Reply #5: Nov 19, 2008 12:26:14 am
      Like a house of cards this isn't it.

I hope I wake up tomorrow with Hicks and Gillett telling us they're off as well.

I think Yossi is one of Rafa's favourite actually.  While I agree that some of these players are not good enough for the first team, we hardly want to get to the end of January and then find we are hit by injuries and we've let all of these go.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #6: Nov 19, 2008 12:49:05 am
      Get over your ego Yossi. Im abit fishy however that he was talking to an Israeli journo. He is their best player and probably looked upto by all of the football fans for being at a massive club like Liverpool so of course he would be lead into saying something like this.

But if not, toodle-oo.

On the topic of a glut in midfield, get rid of Lucas!!

Gerrard
      Alonso
      Mascherano
      Kuyt
      Babel
      Riera
      Pennant
      Lucas
      El Zhar
      Benny
      Plessis

All to fill 4 spots, some will miss out. I think if we cut Benny, Jermaine and Lucas then it'll be much better. Maybe use that money for a back up centre mid. That gives El Zhar a chance to shine and he deserves it.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #7: Nov 19, 2008 12:52:52 am
      Maybe use that money for a back up centre mid.

It's left-back we're looking at isn't it?
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #8: Nov 19, 2008 12:56:38 am
      I hope he stays. Should we go back to ''heavy rotation'' in order to put an end to this problem?. I think not. Rafa has a huge problem.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #9: Nov 19, 2008 12:56:43 am
      He had a shot to cement his place in the Liverpool team at the first of the season when Riera wasn't there and he didn't take it so now we are playing well with both Kuyt and Riera in the side he will have to wait til someone gets hurt to get a run of game.

I also get the feeling Rafa loves him because of his ability to play many position which is why he never bother to sell him with the likes of Ajax and Roma were sniffing around him.

If he doesn't like waiting around for his chance than so be it, sell him and move on.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #10: Nov 19, 2008 12:56:46 am
      It's left-back we're looking at isn't it?

If we get rid of the three i said, might need someone just incase Masch, Stevie or Xabi get injured.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #11: Nov 19, 2008 01:09:22 am
      Fabregas it is then.

I think Benayoun and Babel still can be better. If i had to get rid of one midfielder, Lucas it is.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #12: Nov 19, 2008 01:22:22 am
      F**k it, that's it.

Read the title of the thread...YOSSI. This thread is about YOSSI, staying or going. Not whether we should sell Lucas or whether we should keep him. It isn't a lucky dip where we put our hands in a hat and pick out who is gonna be sold, it's about players who don't want to fight for a place. Now I may not be Lucas' biggest fan, but will I F**k say "lets sell him before such and such" Try keepin it constructive about Benayoun. State claims as to whether you think he should go or stay, not who should go in his place. If you must, then at least keep it to "there are other players who deserve to go first" rather than laying all blame on Lucas or Dossena. This club doesn't make scapegoats and I thought we got rid of this child like behaviour where we have to slag a player off in every post when Voronin left.

I've already said I think it's six months to late for Benayoun, I just don't rate the fella. Far too light weight, far too gives the ball away and just doesn't fill me with any confidence. He isn't good enough to be a first teamer on a regular basis, which is why he is a fringe player. I won't lose any sleep over his departure, but the way this story is worded, it forces Benitez to play him if he wants to keep him. Benitez obviously does want him or he'd of sold him in the summer, so with one or two "injuries" hangin over the Fulham game, I wouldn't be surprised to see our number 15 on the team sheet.

Do I want him to stay? Not a great deal.
      Do I expect him to stay? At least until next summer.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #13: Nov 19, 2008 01:28:16 am
      F**k it, that's it.

Read the title of the thread...YOSSI. This thread is about YOSSI, staying or going. Not whether we should sell Lucas or whether we should keep him. It isn't a lucky dip where we put our hands in a hat and pick out who is gonna be sold, it's about players who don't want to fight for a place. Now I may not be Lucas' biggest fan, but will I F**k say "lets sell him before such and such" Try keepin it constructive about Benayoun. State claims as to whether you think he should go or stay, not who should go in his place. If you must, then at least keep it to "there are other players who deserve to go first" rather than laying all blame on Lucas or Dossena. This club doesn't make scapegoats and I thought we got rid of this child like behaviour where we have to slag a player off in every post when Voronin left.

I've already said I think it's six months to late for Benayoun, I just don't rate the fella. Far too light weight, far too gives the ball away and just doesn't fill me with any confidence. He isn't good enough to be a first teamer on a regular basis, which is why he is a fringe player. I won't lose any sleep over his departure, but the way this story is worded, it forces Benitez to play him if he wants to keep him. Benitez obviously does want him or he'd of sold him in the summer, so with one or two "injuries" hangin over the Fulham game, I wouldn't be surprised to see our number 15 on the team sheet.

Do I want him to stay? Not a great deal.
      Do I expect him to stay? At least until next summer.

f***in 'ell mate, didn't realise this was your thread. The point is that people are staying on-topic by saying who they'd rather get rid of instead of Yossi.

I think that's fine and dandy, and that you're just goin absolutely f***in mental over nothing.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #14: Nov 19, 2008 01:28:53 am
      Totally agree with DLS , but feeling a bit touchy tonight ( bad mood?) ;D
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #15: Nov 19, 2008 01:31:28 am
      I guess that many of us are talking about who should be sold/take over Benny instead of Benny's frustration and his position in the team. Sorry, DLS
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #16: Nov 19, 2008 01:40:34 am
      f***in 'ell mate, didn't realise this was your thread. The point is that people are staying on-topic by saying who they'd rather get rid of instead of Yossi.

I think that's fine and dandy, and that you're just goin absolutely f***in mental over nothing.

What's on topic about sayin Lucas should be sold? Absoloutely nothing.

If you want players sold ahead of Benayoun (if there is a queue or check list that is) then say so...collectively, not by singlin out players because I can guarentee for a fact that Lucas is not the only one who people want to see the back of before Benayoun, yet it is only our Brazilian central midfielder who is comin in for the stick in this thread. But is it Lucas who is takin Benayoun's position? No. Is it Lucas who is stoppin Benayoun playin? No. Is Lucas complainin about not gettin games? No. Lucas has sod all to do with the debate about whether or not Benayoun should remain.

Yossi Benayoun wants games, he plays on either flank or just off the forward. In those positions currently are Kuyt/Riera/Gerrard. Where is Lucas? Nowhere. Is Benayoun gonna get a game ahead of those three? I highly doubt is. Is Lucas bein sold gonna help Benayoun in his quest to get a game? Again I highly doubt it. So sellin Lucas has nothin to do with the this debate.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #17: Nov 19, 2008 01:45:05 am
      I think Yossi should be glad he even gets a place on the bench he is not a top four player and would not be picked in any top 4 side in England. My message to him would be simple if you are not willing to grit and bite for your place in the team just F**k off then. It is getting to me that players are unsetlling the squad and the changing room via the media, first Babel now Benayoun. All of this when we are mounting the strongest title challenge in years.
      These players should seriosuly get a grip.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #18: Nov 19, 2008 01:49:44 am
      The only reason he's not playing is not because we don't want him to play, it is just that we have really quality players in Stevie, Albert and Dirk in the positions where Yossi plays. So as of now, he'd have to play 2nd choice/super sub.

He is a talented player when he's inside the box but he needs to work hard and improve to make the team.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #19: Nov 19, 2008 01:49:59 am
      What's on topic about sayin Lucas should be sold? Absoloutely nothing.

If you want players sold ahead of Benayoun (if there is a queue or check list that is) then say so...collectively, not by singlin out players because I can guarentee for a fact that Lucas is not the only one who people want to see the back of before Benayoun, yet it is only our Brazilian central midfielder who is comin in for the stick in this thread. But is it Lucas who is takin Benayoun's position? No. Is it Lucas who is stoppin Benayoun playin? No. Is Lucas complainin about not gettin games? No. Lucas has sod all to do with the debate about whether or not Benayoun should remain.

Yossi Benayoun wants games, he plays on either flank or just off the forward. In those positions currently are Kuyt/Riera/Gerrard. Where is Lucas? Nowhere. Is Benayoun gonna get a game ahead of those three? I highly doubt is. Is Lucas bein sold gonna help Benayoun in his quest to get a game? Again I highly doubt it. So sellin Lucas has nothin to do with the this debate.

Seems to me you've lost the ability to read, albeit temporarily.

Yossi has stated his intentions to depart with the club if he does not get games. At the same time, people on this thread have also stated their opinions of who they would like to see go instead of Yossi; therefore this thread has stayed on-topic.

Lucas is being singled out because of two things:
      1) Most games he has relatively poor performances
      2) He rarely plays, and does not seem to be going up the pecking order

This is the same for Yossi Benayoun, but people have also accepted the fact that Benayoun is a much more skilful player than Lucas, and has a lot more experience. Thus, they would rather see Lucas leave the club than Benayoun. This is exactly the same for me.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #20: Nov 19, 2008 01:57:51 am
      Res you've not got grapsed it have you mate.

Benayoun wants to leave because he isn't playing games. That's the whole point of the thread. "Play me or I'm off" translated for all to read it as if Yossi Benayoun doesn't play more regular football then he'll want to leave. Fine. That seems to be the bit we agree on.

Where we differ however is the simple matter of Lucas. No matter how many posts people say where they want him sold ahead of Benayoun, isn't going to change the crux of this thread which is "Yossi Benayoun doesn't play more regular football then he'll want to leave". Lucas is not the one stoppin Benayoun from gettin games. This thread is about whether or not Benayoun should be gettin games and if he isn't should he leave, not, I repeat not, who should leave in the transfer window. If it was, then bang on about Lucas leavin all you like, but until that thread is created please keep this one as to Yossi Benayoun wantin games or leavin. Like I keep sayin, sellin Lucas will not give Benayoun what he wants, so he'll still want to leave. Therefore sayin Lucas should be sold before Benayoun does not resolve this current situation and has nothin to do with it.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #21: Nov 19, 2008 01:58:12 am
      Yeah but DLS is right.

Lucas does not play the same position as Benayoun. So, whether Lucas goes or not, it has nothing to do with Benayoun. The only ones having advantage are the centre midfielders cause they'd have one less competitor.

I rather see Lucas go than Benayoun but Lucas' position is irrelevant in this thread.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #22: Nov 19, 2008 01:59:37 am
      Im abit fishy however that he was talking to an Israeli journo. He is their best player and probably looked upto by all of the football fans for being at a massive club like Liverpool so of course he would be lead into saying something like this.

Good point. Add to the fact it's the daily mail reporting it too. Who knows what Yossi really said...

But I do think there's no smoke without fire and he's bound to be frustrated by his amount of time on the bench.

Quick Reply