Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Houllier may not manage again

Read 2602 times
      the general
      • Forum John Toshack
      • Started Topic

• 281 posts |
      Houllier may not manage again
      Jul 19, 2011 03:15:46 am
      Former Liverpool FC boss Gerard Houllier admits health concerns may prevent management return
      FORMER Aston Villa boss Gerard Houllier admits to feeling a sense of “unfinished business” after his departure from the club – but admits his health issues might prevent him returning to management.

Houllier ended his nine-month spell in charge at Villa Park after missing the end of the season following chest pains.

Having experienced heart problems during his time as manager of Liverpool, he accepts he may have to follow doctors’ advice if they counsel against a return to the dugout but would have liked to continue at the midlands club when fit again.

“We had a case of unfinished business (at Villa),” he said.

“There was an option of leaving the team to Gary McAllister, who was my assistant, and I would come back in September but the chairman and owner wanted to go another route and I have to respect that. We left on good terms, no acrimony.

“At the moment I just want to make sure I get fit again and then we’ll see. But I will follow the doctors’ advice and if the advice is not to get back into management I won’t.

“The strong advice was not to go back to business until the end of September but they are happy with the recovery.”

Houllier, who worked as the technical director of the French Football Federation before taking over at Villa, has suggested if full-time management is beyond him he would consider a less hands-on role within the game.

“I will still definitely be linked with football,” he said.

“It is my life, it is my oxygen and if I have to be involved in another way then I will.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/07/18/former-liverpool-fc-boss-gerard-houllier-admits-health-concerns-may-prevent-management-return-100252-29071217/

Always expected something like this would happen really, it's a shame though, he seems like a genuinely nice guy
      HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Re: Houllier may not manage again
      Reply #1: Jul 19, 2011 11:27:56 am
      It's probably the best move for him to call it quits, before a fatal heart attack ends everything in the dug out.

Good luck, GH.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #2: Jul 19, 2011 01:04:38 pm
      Very sad, I feel for Gerard. He's a good manager but I'd be surprised if anyone takes him on for that position now. I hope he can get a nice cushy job such as Director of Football where he can use his experience and stay involved without so much pressure.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #3: Jul 19, 2011 01:07:59 pm
      Got the feeling Ged's the kind of person who'd want to die with his (football) boots on.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,241 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #4: Jul 19, 2011 08:26:16 pm
      Put your feet up... while you can.

Quick Reply