Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Xabi Alonso - Can he fill Gerrard's boots in his absence?

Read 4980 times
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Xabi Alonso - Can he fill Gerrard's boots in his absence?
      Nov 21, 2008 05:13:56 pm
      We all know Xabi Alonso is a world-class player and playmaker. He is one of the many engines that power the Liverpool team; whether it's spreading passes about the field, scoring from distance or simply protecting the defence - he's capable of almost anything.

When we were playing Atlético away, the moment Xabi was taken off our play turned to pot - this is due to his amazing passing ability that, arguably, is more accurate and asks more questions about the opposition than Stevie's passes.

Xabi is naturally a deep-lying playmaker. He is a player that likes to sit deep and start off moves from there, but he also has the ability to take up the attacking midfielder role which makes him all the more deadly. Think about it, if Xabi is able to start off an attack in the final third, we're likely to come up with at least a shot on target due to the fact he rarely loses possession (which is also a quality he shares with Stevie).

He will never have that amazing passion for Liverpool FC though, and that in itself may prove to be a disadvantage. Picture us, 1-0 down on 89 minutes at home - can you imagine Xabi leaping into the box to retrieve what looks to be a lost cause? I can't. On the other hand, if we're 1-0 up on 89 minutes, I'm confident that Xabi would do everything in his power and play to get us that extra goal and secure the win.

To conclude, Xabi shares many of Stevie's qualities, but perhaps lacks the passion that Stevie has for the Club (and by no means am I saying that Xabi lacks any sort of passion for the Club). I would say he can fill Stevie's boots if we're on the front foot, but if we go behind ... well who knows?

Let me make it clear that this topic is for any time that Gerrard is unable to play - not just Fulham.
      « Last Edit: Nov 21, 2008 05:23:49 pm by Reslivo »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Re: Xabi Alonso - Can he fill Gerrard's boots in his absence?
      Reply #1: Nov 21, 2008 05:24:01 pm
      Xabi can not replace Stevie because Xabi doesn't have the pace or power that Stevie does. Stevie's pace is one of his best attributes, somethin Xabi just doesn't have. For me, our number 14 can't fill the boots of our skipper, but can certainly offer us something.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #2: Nov 21, 2008 05:36:17 pm
      Xabi is one of a kind for me. He cannot fill Stevie's boots as Stevie, is of course the only one of his kind. However, like DLS stated, Xabi can offer us something.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #3: Nov 21, 2008 05:45:49 pm
      Xabi is a different type of midfielder. Rather than using pace and power a la Stevie, he uses his vision and long and short passes to break the opposition down. You won't see any surging runs from Alonso tomorrow, but make no mistake about it, he's a huge danger to opponents when he's got space in between the half way line and the 18 yard box. Especially if Torres is playing on the shoulder of the last defender.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #4: Nov 21, 2008 05:56:12 pm
      xabi and mash have been bossing the midfield most of this season giving gerrard the chance to play of the striker and get forward .So the answer in my opinion is No cos hes not directly replaceing him
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #5: Nov 21, 2008 06:27:41 pm
      Completly different player!!!this is why we need to make the pitch wide tomorrow and play with plenty of width!!!
      shikhark
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts |
      Reply #6: Nov 21, 2008 07:35:46 pm
      Completly different player!!!this is why we need to make the pitch wide tomorrow and play with plenty of width!!!

I agree with this. I hope Babel gets a start tomorrow if Keane is ruled out.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #7: Nov 21, 2008 07:41:35 pm
      I'm not asking you to compare them, I'm asking you if you think he can be a good fill-in for Stevie whilst he's injured ::)
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #8: Nov 21, 2008 08:43:10 pm
      how can he fill in,if hes not a like for like swap?
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #9: Nov 21, 2008 08:44:22 pm
      how can he fill in,if hes not a like for like swap?

Because that's what Xabi always does when Stevie is out injured, perhaps? :dunce2:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #10: Nov 21, 2008 08:45:18 pm
      I dont think that he can ever fill Steive's boots as such because they have totally different styles of play. However, Alonso IMO has been one of our best players this season and looks to be getting better all the time. Him and Masch in centre mid would be very effective because Masch is pretty good when it comes to attacking. I think what we can expect in Gerrard's absence is the 4-2-3-1 formation with the midfield being

Xabi   Masch

Kuyt        Keane     Riera

Kuyt being in his usual wide position and Keane behind Torres meaning that Alonso will have his usual defensive role.

So to answer the question, yes, he can fill Stevie's boots but just in a less obvious way.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #11: Nov 21, 2008 08:45:36 pm
      he doesn't have the same characteristics as gerrard,hes less ppowerful for a start,although is range of passing is better?
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1631 
      Reply #12: Nov 21, 2008 08:59:07 pm
      Lets be honest about it there isn,t a midfielder in the prem who can fill Stevie,s boots ,but can Xabi play well and do a job for us of course he can because he is a class player and this year he is showing that,we beat the mancs without  Stevie so why would anyone think we cant beat Fulham ,dont get cocky play to our potential and we will win .
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #13: Nov 21, 2008 09:10:28 pm
      For me noone can replace gerrard 'cos his heart is all about the lfc badge but alonso can help us win games without him.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #14: Nov 21, 2008 09:15:17 pm
      They do bring different aspects to our play, and Alonso is usually in with Gerrard at some point.

I think he can fill in adequately. We're a world class squad and the absence of one player is not the end of the world, even if it is Gerrard! While Gerrards drive often carries the team, Alonso's variety and accuracy in his passing can do a lot to teams.

I just hope he plays Mascherano in the middle with him and not Lucas. ::)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #15: Nov 21, 2008 09:24:41 pm
      Well I saw Gerrard's attempts at filling Alonso's boots the other week against West Brom and he couldn't do that, and I don't think Alonso can replace Gerrard either.

If Gerrard doesn't play then we should be electing to play a 4-4-2 because I don't think anybody can occupy that role as well as Gerrard can.

goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #16: Nov 21, 2008 09:33:40 pm
      xabi and mash have been bossing the midfield most of this season giving gerrard the chance to play of the striker and get forward .So the answer in my opinion is No cos hes not directly replaceing him
      totally agree with you. Keane can replace gerrard and torres play up-front.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #17: Nov 21, 2008 09:57:58 pm
      weve got to go positive tomorrow!!!you know they will come and put everyone behind the ball!!!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #18: Nov 21, 2008 10:04:22 pm
      I just hope he plays Mascherano in the middle with him and not Lucas. ::)

There's no need for that mate. This isn't a question of who our preferred central pairin should be this weekend, but whether or not Alonso can do the Gerrard job.

Now for me personally, he can't. Xabi doesn't have the qualities to play behind the front man, he's too slow for starters, when at that end of the pitch there's so many bodies jumpin around he'll be made to look average in my opinion. You see that by his goals records, how many goals has he scored from open play between 18 and 25 yards? Off the top of me head I can think of one (Arsenal a few years back, same game Mellor scored that screamer). It's because he lacks that pace to get him away and into space to sort his shootin boots out. He is much better sittin in front of our back four, sprayin the ball long. If a team is sittin deep (Bolton last week) and Xabi gets space thirty yards or so from goal, then he can offer us somethin consistantly on an attackin side. We saw it last week, when Bolton started to push up field, space became less apparent for us in the first half hour of the second half an Xabi wasn't as effective goin forward. Keep him in the position where he's been fantastic this season and hope it continues tomorrow.
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #19: Nov 21, 2008 10:11:53 pm
      I think hes got the passing up to standard of Gerrard, I just dont think hes got the other qualities Gerrard has ie attacking play, influence, leadership etc.
      So I would say no, he cant.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #20: Nov 21, 2008 10:20:12 pm
      Nope. I don't think so.

An "in-Form" Gerrard adds way too much intensity and creativity to our attack and game generally that no other player brings.

Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #21: Nov 22, 2008 07:39:03 am
      Gerrard can't fill Xabi's boots, Xabi can't fill Gerrard's boots. They are 2 different players playing in different positions.
      karlp606
      • Forum David Johnson

• 222 posts |
      Reply #22: Nov 22, 2008 09:14:48 am
      keane would be better behind the front two when SG isnt fit, I would like to see against fulham today maybe torres and ngog upfront and keane behind?
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #23: Nov 22, 2008 11:03:03 am
      keane would be better behind the front two when SG isnt fit, I would like to see against fulham today maybe torres and ngog upfront and keane behind?
      I would be tempted to give Babel that roll ,With his pace and stamina fulham would not have a clue what to do (one minute hes there next minute he not) ooooh it would be like having stevie mac back....
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #24: Nov 22, 2008 01:28:55 pm
      I would be tempted to give Babel that roll ,With his pace and stamina fulham would not have a clue what to do (one minute hes there next minute he not) ooooh it would be like having stevie mac back....

Babel? Stamina? He's rooted once the 6oth minute comes around.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #25: Nov 23, 2008 08:46:17 pm
      There isn't a player on the planet who could fill Stevies boots, but if he's unavailable, for whatever reason, Xabi is the best replacment we have, to keep the mid field engine purring. Any one else we have, should only be used when Xabi is unavailable, or when any mid fielder needs resting, AFTER GAMES ARE SAFE!
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #26: Nov 23, 2008 10:14:57 pm
      There's no need for that mate. This isn't a question of who our preferred central pairin should be this weekend, but whether or not Alonso can do the Gerrard job.

At it again? :-\

Quick Reply