Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

We are top of the league!

Read 422944 times
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: We are top of the league!
      Reply #1196: Nov 05, 2018 02:59:57 am
      Well why not Actually take a minute to appreciate the defensive qualities we are now showing after 10 years shipping goals like there's no tomorrow. We played plenty of pretty stuff last year and the year before, free flowing football, swatting teams aside with Champaigne footy. That's great but then 3 games later we blow a game due to our soft underbelly. We now have an actual sprine to the team, we defend as a team, we're solid at set pieces, there is a collective pride in defending and it barely gets a mention in here. Everybody is too busy whinging 'where's the champagne football we've been so used to (that has won us fook all I may add). The goals will come (we've seen some return to previous form in our 2 games prior to Arsenal) but if we're ever going to win this thing we had to tighten up and develop a resilient side and finally we've got one. It has been massively underplayed and under-appreciated. Until this season I was only truely comfortable as an LFC fan when we were 4 (yes 4!) goals to the good.

I did, I made a point to say that without our defence we'd be midtable, fighting it out with Bournemouth, United and Everton, because that's where our goals for tally stands right now. But having a great defence is worthless if we don't sort out the problems with our attack. Despite a some big wins, it simply isn't operating as it should, with a lot of stagnancy in midfield and poor decision making up front. It's not unreasonable to examine why this might be. Allow me to point one other thing out to you. City have a better defensive record than we do, not just a better offensive record. This is how we operated this time last year. Big wins, clean sheets. So again like I said, it's not unreasonable to examine why this isn't happening this season, and work out how we can recover that form.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #1197: Nov 05, 2018 03:56:02 am
      Only a thirteen goal difference and two points which given the respective form of City and ourselves, may as well be twenty points and a trillion goals. We need to find some form and fast before City are over the hill just on goal difference alone.

Doesn't matter with the goal difference whether it is + 1 better than us or + 30 better than us. It's only going to take a single slip up from them (possibly against scum).
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #1198: Nov 05, 2018 07:03:20 am
      Some sh*te getting spouted tonight.

ā€œChicken Littleā€ syndrome because we didnā€™t win 🙄

Yep, it's funny isn't it. I'd have taken every one of our results so far if someone said we will start the league at match 11 and you will have played city, arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea.

You'll be unbeaten and have 27 points.

People are mad, I think they're forgetting that we finished last season a bazillion points behind city and by this time last year we were pretty much already only playing for top 4.

We are doing great and City will slip up against someone too, we just need to keep within a few points and be ready to take advantage.

Gonna be a long, hard, fun season. The whole top 5 are pretty much on fire and everyone of us are currently in a bit of a battle for the title.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1199: Nov 05, 2018 10:17:05 am
      Doesn't matter with the goal difference whether it is + 1 better than us or + 30 better than us. It's only going to take a single slip up from them (possibly against scum).

Oh behave, Citeh will steamroller Utd, I really cannot see us beating Citeh this year, the only hope was that they wouldn't be quite as motivated this year as last but if anything they look even better this year and every bit as hungry. All we can do is play the best we can and keep growing as a team and hope they slip up but I very much doubt it.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #1200: Nov 05, 2018 10:34:51 am
      Oh behave, Citeh will steamroller Utd, I really cannot see us beating Citeh this year, the only hope was that they wouldn't be quite as motivated this year as last but if anything they look even better this year and every bit as hungry. All we can do is play the best we can and keep growing as a team and hope they slip up but I very much doubt it.

Yeah, just like Chavs streamrolled Scum.  :roll:

Anyways. It's just 11 games into the season. We are just 2 points of top whilst playing 3 away matches to top 5.
      « Last Edit: Nov 05, 2018 10:39:11 am by Gill95 »
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #1201: Nov 05, 2018 10:39:36 am
      Quote from 5timesacharm
      Teams may well be capitulating before a ball has even been kicked against City but City still need to stick the ball in the back of the net and they've done that thirteen times more than we have this season. Warnock threw the towel in against us in his press conference but we struggled for a long period of that game. Huddersfield hardly faced us brimming with confidence for a win but we struggled against them as well. In fact there's only been two teams we haven't struggled against this season.

We didn't struggle against Cardiff. We won by 3 goals and were ahead for 85 minutes. They had 2 touches in our box in the entire game. If that is "struggling", we're not doing too badly.

It's not long ago since posters like yourself, were complaining we "can't win games 1-0", "can't win ugly", and that "forwards win games but defenders win titles". Now we are winning them and people still complain, and say we're "struggling" when we win by 3 clear goals.

We could have hit Southampton for 6 if we wanted, but we dozed off after half time. We're not going to outscore City, but for all their cricket scores, the gap is only 2 points. If you told us in mid-June we would* be unbeaten and have 30 points by the November break, how many would say "sorry, not good enough"?

We were 2 points clear earlier in the season, and 3 points clear at one stage last week. We didn't win the league then and we didn't lose it now. It's not like we're dropping points at Wolves or West Ham, like those above us have. Five years ago, we lost at Arsenal but we still took the title race to the final day. There are plenty of games left now, including a game against City, to make up the gap. It's a marathon, not a sprint after all.

*when we win our next game.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #1202: Nov 05, 2018 10:43:48 am
      We cant compete with City when so far it looks like teams are capitulating before a ball is even kicked.
      We just need a little bit more aggression in the team and for a few more goals to go in keep the pressure on city.
      We also have Chelsea,Arsenal and Spurs to come to Anfield so we could have had 4 more point if the fixtures had been reversed

The question Walt is that why aren't the opposition looking at us and shitting themselves (as they do against City)?

Perhaps, it is to do with this pragmatic approach we have taken this season. I am happy as far as it goes but we need to show our teeth bit more to the lesser opponents. For example, City demolished Southampton & the message goes out that when City come to the town, we just let them roll over us. We on the other hand, stopped our demolition half-way when we were 3-0 up. I don't really understand why since I didn't see Southampton getting anywhere near us in that game. I think we have to show to the lesser opponents that we are going to batter them as soon as they come on the football pitch. Then only will we get our mojo back.

Perhaps, I am wrong but it seems to me that Klopp is now happier getting a draw against top 6 rather than win at any cost. Is that a good proposition? I don't know, maybe.
      « Last Edit: Nov 05, 2018 10:48:19 am by RobieSlick »
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1203: Nov 05, 2018 11:10:10 am
      We didn't struggle against Cardiff. We won by 3 goals and were ahead for 85 minutes. They had 2 touches in our box in the entire game. If that is "struggling", we're not doing too badly.

It's not long ago since posters like yourself, were complaining we "can't win games 1-0", "can't win ugly", and that "forwards win games but defenders win titles". Now we are winning them and people still complain, and say we're "struggling" when we win by 3 clear goals.

We could have hit Southampton for 6 if we wanted, but we dozed off after half time. We're not going to outscore City, but for all their cricket scores, the gap is only 2 points. If you told us in mid-June we would* be unbeaten and have 30 points by the November break, how many would say "sorry, not good enough"?

We were 2 points clear earlier in the season, and 3 points clear at one stage last week. We didn't win the league then and we didn't lose it now. It's not like we're dropping points at Wolves or West Ham, like those above us have. Five years ago, we lost at Arsenal but we still took the title race to the final day. There are plenty of games left now, including a game against City, to make up the gap. It's a marathon, not a sprint after all.

*when we win our next game.

Get stuffed we did struggle against them, the scoreline flattered us. Not because they made it difficult for us, or because they outplayed us, but because looked like we couldn't be arsed and would be content with a 1-0 win, and it was only once their goal went in that we woke the f**k up. We scored on the 10th minute then took almost an hour to score again, and did so because we failed to take the chances that came our way. Burying our head in the sand and pretending everything sunshine and roses is the surest way to hand City the title. To repeat myself, it is not unreasonable to accept we have a problem with the side right now and to work out how we can get back that free flowing attacking finesse we enjoyed last season.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #1204: Nov 05, 2018 11:36:23 am
      I did, I made a point to say that without our defence we'd be midtable, fighting it out with Bournemouth, United and Everton, because that's where our goals for tally stands right now.

You did but it was almost as an afterthought. It feels to me that the better we do the more people complain. If we had the same number of wins/draws but were winning 5-3 or drawing 3-3 every game then maybe everyone might be happier? But for me, sorting out our defence is MASSIVE, not nearly enough credit given to the manager and the players for the transformation. I've hated our susceptibility to ship goals and crack under pressure so solving this on-going issue was a must. In the two games prior to Arsenal we looked to be getting back to our best from an attacking point of view. The gooners were very good so I'm not going to bemoan what was a very good point at a ground we have traditionally struggled at (particularly defensively).

I think we will be alright. The midfield is a little un-balanced as many have pointed out but Keita (touch wood) should help to remedy this in the longer-term and if Shaq keeps performing well and can earn the full trust of the manager (from a defensive point of view - maybe JĆ¼rgen doesn't want to jeopardize our newfound solidity eh? not sure anyone really giving much thought to this) then i'm sure he will find a regular home in our midfield rather than being of 'supersub' status.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #1205: Nov 06, 2018 07:46:04 am
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #1206: Nov 06, 2018 02:08:23 pm
      Quote from RobieSlick
      Perhaps, it is to do with this pragmatic approach we have taken this season. I am happy as far as it goes but we need to show our teeth bit more to the lesser opponents. For example, City demolished Southampton & the message goes out that when City come to the town, we just let them roll over us. We on the other hand, stopped our demolition half-way when we were 3-0 up. I don't really understand why.

Because we were 3-0 up at half time. I said the worst thing about that game was the timing of the third goal, as I thought it would be at the time. A 3 goal lead at halftime, normally sees players drop off after the break, and look to see the game out instead of pile up the goals. Whereas a two goal lead at half time, doesn't see any drop off, at least until we get the third, as we did at home to West Ham and Red Star Belgrade. That's not a Klopp specific issue, it happened regularly during Rodgers time as well. We settled for 3 and 4-0 wins in several games, instead of looking for more. Then found ourselves nine goals behind with 2 games to go in the run in. When we tried to do something about it at Palace, you saw the consequences.

Quote from 5timesacharm
      we did struggle against them, the scoreline flattered us. Not because they made it difficult for us, or because they outplayed us, but because looked like we couldn't be arsed and would be content with a 1-0 win, and it was only once their goal went in that we woke the f**k up. We scored on the 10th minute then took almost an hour to score again, and did so because we failed to take the chances that came our way. Burying our head in the sand and pretending everything sunshine and roses is the surest way to hand City the title. To repeat myself, it is not unreasonable to accept we have a problem with the side right now and to work out how we can get back that free flowing attacking finesse we enjoyed last season.

You don't seem to know what you want. Last year, it was "boring 1-0 wins" by wasting time and dark arts, this year you want "free flowing football". One extreme to the other, and critical of both as it suits. You then tell us what the mancs and Bournemouth have done. But would they prefer to be where we are or where they are?

We were always in control against Cardiff. We led for almost the entire game. That's not pretending everything is rosy, that's how it played out. The result was clearcut and comprehensive.

It's not unreasonable to ask questions, god knows I've done it for years and still do. But we're not going to outscore City, nobody else will either. We didn't last year, and we won't this year. So if we're going to win it, it's going to be on points. And the surest way of handing City the title, is packing it in asap. Look at the reaction to the result at the weekend. Mass panic and armageddon, after "only" drawing one of our more difficult away games, despite getting robbed by the officials. When we were 2 points ahead, we had not won the league, and when we're 2 points behind we haven't lost it either. It's not like the cup where a tough 5 minutes and that's it for another year.

We're still unbeaten. There's another 30 points up for grabs by the first round of the cup. I repeat, THIRTY points. And who knows how many curveballs and banana skins thrown in, crappy refs, injuries, suspensions, travel issues, weather, pitches, etc etc. If we're well behind after that, then fair enough, we can focus on the cup. With the year that's in it, the cup is going to be more significant for us than usual. If we're not out of sight in the league, it's game on until May on all fronts. I remember we were 14 points behind the leaders in March 89, and we took the title race all the way to the final night. City were 8 points behind with 6 games to go and beat the mancs to the league. So a 2 point gap is nothing in November, and hopefully this thread will be active again soon.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1207: Nov 06, 2018 02:32:35 pm
      Ah well dropping 2 points away to Arsenal while city hammer a sh*te southampton has cost us any hope we had according to modt things om reading.....

sweet Jesus
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1208: Nov 06, 2018 02:45:06 pm
      Going to be champions end of season..end of.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #1209: Nov 06, 2018 03:12:28 pm
      Interesting:

Paul Tomkins

Liverpool are still top of the RPI table this morning.

Why?

Man City's opponents this season have taken fewer points than any other set of opponents faced by the other 19 in the PL - 38%, pretty much the same as Chelsea (38.1%), compared to LFC at 46%.

See the explanation on the website linked to before going mad at me! - it's not my system, but one used in US sports. For the record, West Ham (58%) Huddersfield (54%) and Newcastle (52%) have played the most in-form opponents, which means their results are weighted accordingly.

I've explained in previous articles how the RPI table at this stage of the season is a better predictor of final finishing position than the *actual* table at this stage of the season. But of course, form for (almost) all teams waxes and wanes, so things change

http://premrpi.lfcsorted.com/
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1210: Nov 06, 2018 05:06:13 pm
      Interesting:

Paul Tomkins

Liverpool are still top of the RPI table this morning.

Why?

Man City's opponents this season have taken fewer points than any other set of opponents faced by the other 19 in the PL - 38%, pretty much the same as Chelsea (38.1%), compared to LFC at 46%.

See the explanation on the website linked to before going mad at me! - it's not my system, but one used in US sports. For the record, West Ham (58%) Huddersfield (54%) and Newcastle (52%) have played the most in-form opponents, which means their results are weighted accordingly.

I've explained in previous articles how the RPI table at this stage of the season is a better predictor of final finishing position than the *actual* table at this stage of the season. But of course, form for (almost) all teams waxes and wanes, so things change

http://premrpi.lfcsorted.com/

That is interesting, we won't get many points for beating Fulham though!
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #1211: Dec 08, 2018 03:19:41 pm
      Hello.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #1212: Dec 08, 2018 03:54:22 pm
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1213: Dec 08, 2018 03:59:15 pm
      45 points out of the last 51.

Not bad eh?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1214: Dec 08, 2018 07:08:50 pm
      Now then!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1215: Dec 08, 2018 07:11:12 pm
      Oh yes!!

Top of the league and the only unbeaten side left.

Pass it on to the miserable bas**rds who follow the club these days.

« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2018 07:18:04 pm by srslfc »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1216: Dec 08, 2018 07:11:21 pm
      Hello perch...
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,183 posts | 526 
      • At the end of the storm, thereā€™s a golden sky.
      Reply #1217: Dec 08, 2018 07:12:31 pm
      I like that the heat is now off of us. Long may it continue.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1218: Dec 08, 2018 07:14:39 pm
      every commentator said Liverpool are top of the league for a couple of hours not one said a Chelsea win would keep Liverpool top and they look entirely beatable if you match them

Quick Reply