Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

We are top of the league!

Read 422990 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Re: We are top of the league!
      Reply #1587: Jan 14, 2019 09:55:23 pm
      Nuno having a little pop at Bernardo Silva walking off there...then decent lad that he is accepted Silva and greeted him..
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1588: Jan 14, 2019 10:01:37 pm
      Good job City are playing the 2 fortress teams in Huddersfield and Newcastle next, I’m sure they will just about manage to comfortably get 6 points there.
      Need Arsenal and Chavs to do us a favour!
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1589: Jan 14, 2019 10:02:04 pm
      So back to 4 point lead at the top. Crystal Palace coming up for us. 'uddersfield, minus David Wagner take on City. Two routine wins.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1590: Jan 14, 2019 10:02:45 pm
      Good job City are playing the 2 fortress teams in Huddersfield and Newcastle next, I’m sure they will just about manage to comfortably get 6 points there.
      Need Arsenal and Chavs to do us a favour!

We'll win our next 4 🙂
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1591: Jan 14, 2019 10:06:15 pm

Yep and then we’ll see who’s feeling pressure.......

The thing is they can’t afford to slip.......
      Kopite78
      Reply #1592: Jan 14, 2019 10:13:48 pm
      Yep and then we’ll see who’s feeling pressure.......

The thing is they can’t afford to slip.......

Absolutely

Put it this way it's in our own hands completely

City can finish with a maximum of 101 still. I'd highly doubt they do that that

We're currently on 57 with 48 still possible

I'd say 95 would guarantee us the league (possibly and probably less) but say that 95 figure is the one we aim for

Means we can drop 10 points still

10 points for a  team that's conceded 10 goals all season, that's dropped only 9 in 22 games

Look I'm not over confident and city are a tremendous side but as I said it's in our hands if we play like we have for the first 22 games in the last 16

Keep our nerve for the next month takes us very close I believe because of the amount more games city have in the run in still being in both domestic cups as well as Europe

The next month is key for me
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1593: Jan 14, 2019 10:19:14 pm
      Absolutely

Put it this way it's in our own hands completely

City can finish with a maximum of 101 still. I'd highly doubt they do that that

We're currently on 57 with 48 still possible

I'd say 95 would guarantee us the league (possibly and probably less) but say that 95 figure is the one we aim for

Means we can drop 10 points still

10 points for a  team that's conceded 10 goals all season, that's dropped only 9 in 22 games

Look I'm not over confident and city are a tremendous side but as I said it's in our hands if we play like we have for the first 22 games in the last 16

Keep our nerve for the next month takes us very close I believe because of the amount more games city have in the run in still being in both domestic cups as well as Europe

The next month is key for me

Agreed.

Just wish we weren’t playing so sh*te though  :f_whistle:
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #1594: Jan 15, 2019 01:51:28 am
      So back to 4 point lead at the top. Crystal Palace coming up for us. 'uddersfield, minus David Wagner take on City. Two routine wins.

My hope with Huffersfield is the side get the new manager bump like we are seeing with Man Utd and get a draw. Not likely to happen but then again no one saw them losing to Palace at home.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1595: Jan 15, 2019 02:58:43 am
      My hope with Huffersfield is the side get the new manager bump like we are seeing with Man Utd and get a draw. Not likely to happen but then again no one saw them losing to Palace at home.

They are going to need more than just a manager bump to take anything from City....like a new XI.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #1596: Jan 15, 2019 11:56:22 am
      Our lead is better than being behind but too many games left. If I had to bet my house I'd still bet in on City because they play the better football and we had some games that went awfully lucky for us (Everton-Pickford, City-Mahrez, Chelsea-Sturridge, Arsenal was pretty dominant in their home game and could have won). If that changes we actually have to fight for a CL spot. The race is completely open.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1597: Jan 15, 2019 12:08:00 pm
      In winning it we will be doing it big time !  Never do things the easy way.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46816407

Premier League title race: Liverpool and their challengers are breaking records

By Simon Gleave

Head of sports analysis, Gracenote

From the section Premier League 643

Snapshot of the top of the Premier League: 1st Liverpool, 2nd Man City, 3rd Tottenham, 4th Chelsea, 5th Arsenal, 6th Man Utd

In almost any other year, Liverpool would be nailed on to win the Premier League.

Only three top-flight teams in the last 113 years have recorded a better points total after 21 matches than Liverpool (re-calculating all seasons to three points for a win).

But the Reds find themselves doing this in a season in which the points totals for the teams in second and third are unprecedented.

A team with a points total as big as Liverpool's could usually expect to have a lead in double figures at this point.

But with a gap of only four points to second-placed Manchester City, Liverpool do not have that luxury.

The Euro Club Index - a ranking of all European teams - estimates Liverpool's chance of winning the league at 56.6%, ahead of Manchester City's 33.5% and Tottenham Hotspur's 8.6%.

Even fourth-placed Chelsea, 10 points behind Liverpool, cannot be written off yet as the Blues have a 1% chance of a shock title win.

In fact, Chelsea's total of 44 points is the joint highest for a fourth-placed team at this stage.

Recent attention has concentrated on Liverpool failing to win the league title when leading at Christmas but in each of those seasons, their lead was small.

In fact, the leads Liverpool had at Christmas in 2008 and 2013 had already been lost by this point. The only previous Premier League season in which Liverpool led after 21 matches was 1996-97 - by two points from Arsenal and four ahead of eventual champions Manchester United.

This season Liverpool are another beast altogether, recording one of the best opening 21 matches in the English top flight since 1905-1906, when 20 teams competed for the first time.

Normally such a start would result in a sizeable lead at this stage but Liverpool's four-point cushion is the smallest of any team with at least 52 points at this stage.

Every team with at least 52 points after 21 matches has been crowned English champions, with Chelsea's five-point lead over Arsenal in 2004-05 the smallest.
      Clubs with at least 52 points after 21 top-flight matches since 1905-1906
      Preston North End (1888-1889) and Sunderland (1892-1893) would also qualify but their seasons were only 22 and 30 matches long respectively. All seasons recalculated to three points for a win - information provided by Gracenote.
      Season   Club   Points after 21 games   Final position   Closest challengers (points)
      2017-18   Man City   59   Champions   Chelsea (45)
      2005-06   Chelsea   58   Champions   Man Utd (45)
      1960-61   Tottenham   56   Champions   Wolves, Burnley, Everton (45)
      2018-19   Liverpool   54   ?   Man City (50)
      1907-08   Man Utd   53   Champions   Sheffield Wednesday (38)
      2006-07   Man Utd   53   Champions   Chelsea (47)
      1987-88   Liverpool   53   Champions   Nottingham Forest (43)
      2012-13   Man Utd   52   Champions   Man City (45)
      1993-94   Man Utd   52   Champions   Leeds, Blackburn (39)
      2016-17   Chelsea   52   Champions   Liverpool, Tottenham (45)
      2004-05   Chelsea   52   Champions   Arsenal (47)

The difference between Liverpool and dominant teams in the past is that the Reds have a genuine rival for the title, and possibly even two.

Liverpool's contenders break records

The 2-1 victory over Liverpool on 3 January made Manchester City the first top-flight team to get 50 points from their first 21 matches and not be top of the league.

The previous best points total for a team in second at this stage was Liverpool in 1990-91, with 49 points after 21 matches, but behind Arsenal on goal difference, and Arsenal's 'Invincibles', who had 49 points after 21 matches in 2003-04 but were a point behind Manchester United.

To continue the pattern, Tottenham's 48 points is the highest ever of any third-placed team. The previous best was the 46 points for Spurs in 2011-12 and Chelsea in 2013-14.

One of the key reasons for Tottenham's points total this season is their complete lack of draws.

Tottenham are only the second post-war team to go 21 games into a season without a draw, with Burnley in 1953-54 the other.
      Best of the rest

Chelsea's 44 points is a record-equalling total for the team in fourth at this stage and only Arsenal, two seasons ago, have failed to finish in the top three after picking up that number of points for 21 games.

Even fifth place has an unusually high points total, with Arsenal's 41 enough for a top-four spot at this point of the season in all but three previous campaigns.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1598: Jan 15, 2019 12:13:58 pm
      Tighter than I expected or want...
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #1599: Jan 15, 2019 12:41:20 pm
      Just wish we weren’t playing so sh*te though  :f_whistle:

It's hard to stomach, isn't it?!
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #1600: Jan 15, 2019 12:51:29 pm
      I'm not scared of city having world class players, I'm more fearful of them having players like Kung-Fu Kompany and a group of world class divers ala sterling that can do no wrong in the eyes of the highly suspected figure in black.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #1601: Jan 15, 2019 02:52:03 pm
      I'm not scared of city having world class players, I'm more fearful of them having players like Kung-Fu Kompany and a group of world class divers ala sterling that can do no wrong in the eyes of the highly suspected figure in black.

Off topic - Imagine Ramos, Kompany, Fellaini, Keane, Costa, and Barton in the same team! That will be a handful. Probably will end the match with 6 men. :lmao: Did I miss out anyone prominent? Cantona?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1602: Jan 15, 2019 02:58:35 pm
      Quite simply we can afford to lose one more game than Citeh and that is a nice buffer to have. The scary thing is that Citeh look amazing again now but then they also looked amazing at the beginning of December and look how that went!.

I think both teams will drop points but I think that the sheer volume of games for Citeh will catch up with them, in some respects I actually hope we get knocked out of the CL quite early so that we can focus 100% on the league, I think Citeh will become quite distracted by the CL and that will help us.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #1603: Jan 15, 2019 03:11:02 pm
      We win our games then we win the League.

Don't need to care nor worry what the others do.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #1604: Jan 15, 2019 03:32:06 pm
      The scary thing is that Citeh look amazing again now but then they also looked amazing at the beginning of December and look how that went!.

Good point. I am still wondering how they could lose those two games. It makes me believe into The Matrix.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1605: Jan 15, 2019 03:35:49 pm

Sterling is a key player for City, his pace and tenacity are vital to their team. He has so much pace from a standing start, like Owen before Owen turned 20 and his injuries started. It's amazing that Sterling doesn't seem to suffer from hamstring strains. We got £44m....should've been £88m in truth.
      « Last Edit: Jan 15, 2019 03:53:58 pm by Harrisimo »
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1606: Jan 15, 2019 03:48:12 pm

Again picking up on the strength and depth of the City squad, the quality of their manager and indeed backroom staff. Added to the wealth they have access to, if....if and it's a huge if. If we keep them at bay..if we amass more points than them....it will be a MASSIVE achievement...a HUGE feather in Klopp's cap. Probably one of the greatest triumphs this club and fans has ever achieved..not quite the greatest but a fantastic performance.

So we face the mother of all football battles to win the Premiership Title in the face of such fierce & fantastic competition. Are we up to it...in truth I don't know. We have the bottle, the guts but we just don't know what injustices or injuries we might face. We can win it but our ultimate fate this season remains, for now, in doubt.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1607: Jan 15, 2019 04:14:50 pm
      Good point. I am still wondering how they could lose those two games. It makes me believe into The Matrix.

3 games wasn't it or was Chelsea in November?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1608: Jan 15, 2019 04:19:03 pm
      Sterling is a key player for City, his pace and tenacity are vital to their team. He has so much pace from a standing start, like Owen before Owen turned 20 and his injuries started. It's amazing that Sterling doesn't seem to suffer from hamstring strains. We got £44m....should've been £88m in truth.

Despite being bitter rivals at the moment Citeh really are a joy to watch, such fluid attacks, very reminiscent of Barca when they were at the zenith of their powers.
      The only way to beat them is to attack them but yesterday Wolves simply could not do this after they went down to 10 men, it was a real shame as I thought an inform Wolves team could give them a decent test.
      Another thing I've noticed with Citeh is that they can sometimes be a bit arrogant and casual in how they play, I think that could be an achilles heel for them and is probably a result of most games being so damned easy whereas we seem much more focussed and determined.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1609: Jan 15, 2019 05:33:52 pm
      Despite being bitter rivals at the moment Citeh really are a joy to watch, such fluid attacks, very reminiscent of Barca when they were at the zenith of their powers.
      The only way to beat them is to attack them but yesterday Wolves simply could not do this after they went down to 10 men, it was a real shame as I thought an inform Wolves team could give them a decent test.
      Another thing I've noticed with Citeh is that they can sometimes be a bit arrogant and casual in how they play, I think that could be an achilles heel for them and is probably a result of most games being so damned easy whereas we seem much more focussed and determined.

Agree with all of that.Defensively they are strong but they can be got at. They attack like devils but once a team goes at them, problems become clear. Even Wolves down to 10 men did find space. I never liked Stones. He looks good but under pressure can make mistakes. They get very high and can be liable to a pacy counter. I think Pep knows they are not as strong as us defensively.

We are strong at the back but not great playing off the back foot as the City game showed. I said we face the mother of all football battles to keep City at bay. It could come down to our luck with injuries, lose a vital player and it will be very difficult. We will need this 4 point cushion. Pep is a course and distance winner and Klopp has won titles but he will need all of his experience and motivational skills. Will it be enough - I don't know.

Quick Reply