Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Huddersfield [Premier League] Fri 26th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Anfield

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

We are top of the league!

Read 120500 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,492 posts | 2296 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: We are top of the league!
      Reply #1900: Feb 07, 2019 01:23:13 pm
      I agree with this and Spurs really have the same issue. They have managed though to dig out the 1-0s without Alli and Kane.

I'm not sure either club can compete with City for squad depth while they are sponsoring themselves 100s of millions a season.

That's the bigger picture that people need to keep sight of.
      Beating City would be phenomenal.
      Being toe to toe with them is something to enjoy.
      barney73
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 402 posts | 55 
      Reply #1901: Feb 07, 2019 01:43:13 pm
      Hopefully fingers crossed we can get a few back for Sat and start moving the ball a bit quicker too slow and lateral lately. Hopefully chelski can kick lumps out of city who despite the amount of games per week are seemingly no one even picking up a knock. Closing down quick and playing at a high tempo I think we win sat though Bournemouth are no mugs.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,257 posts | 2358 
      Reply #1902: Feb 07, 2019 01:50:29 pm
      I agree with this and Spurs really have the same issue. They have managed though to dig out the 1-0s without Alli and Kane.

I'm not sure either club can compete with City for squad depth while they are sponsoring themselves 100s of millions a season.

That's the bigger picture that people need to keep sight of.
      Beating City would be phenomenal.
      Being toe to toe with them is something to enjoy.

In fairness we can’t complain about our ability to grind out results.

Agree though that the difference is resources is vast. It can’t not be with the financial doping.

It ISNT insurmountable though.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,519 posts | 3298 
      Reply #1903: Feb 07, 2019 02:56:08 pm
      Jeez, level on points, game in hand & the most financially fooled team in the PL went ahead of us on goal difference...

Problems..sure

Pep & Co looked stressed & fatigued b6 this run in..they will fall again..

Hell yes they will Shabs. And you could argue that if we can get a couple hard fought wins, we will get our injured players back (including the Ox) just at the right time to make a go of this thing.

I will say, what I wouldn’t give to still have Klavan on the bench. Hardcore mentioned it and he’s right, I think he and Virgil would be fine together till Joe gets back.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,492 posts | 2296 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1904: Feb 07, 2019 03:15:01 pm
      In fairness we can’t complain about our ability to grind out results.

Agree though that the difference is resources is vast. It can’t not be with the financial doping.

It ISNT insurmountable though.

Easier to grind out results when you haven't lost 2 of your best defenders in the same period.
      "But Spurs lost Kane and Alli". Liverpool have lost Ox, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Gomez, TAA, Lovren.
      There is no comparison.
      That aside I'd rather enjoy being in the mix with one of the most financially doped teams in history.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 22,526 posts | 2559 
      Reply #1905: Feb 07, 2019 03:16:05 pm
      Hell yes they will Shabs. And you could argue that if we can get a couple hard fought wins, we will get our injured players back (including the Ox) just at the right time to make a go of this thing.

I will say, what I wouldn’t give to still have Klavan on the bench. Hardcore mentioned it and he’s right, I think he and Virgil would be fine together till Joe gets back.

Lord Klavan May I add 😁 hindsight is a great thing, if Jo was still fully fit & Trent I don’t think we would be in this position, I think we would still be 7 ahead,a point tally I honestly believe we will restore..

Timing and extent of injuries have been sh*te but we came through Xmas looking good and no reason to dip into the market ( Fekir) however as you say with players returning at the right moment we will be fine..

A blip is all it is.. Ox will fix it 😎
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,257 posts | 2358 
      Reply #1906: Feb 07, 2019 03:20:54 pm
      Easier to grind out results when you haven't lost 2 of your best defenders in the same period.
      "But Spurs lost Kane and Alli". Liverpool have lost Ox, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Gomez, TAA, Lovren.
      There is no comparison.
      That aside I'd rather enjoy being in the mix with one of the most financially doped teams in history.

No doubt Racer.

My real point was only agreeing that we should enjoy and more importantly trust this squad (as they return) and manager.

They’ve done nothing to give us anything but belief since August - assuming one’s emotions aren’t based on last 30 seconds 🤣
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,231 posts | 1740 
      Reply #1907: Feb 07, 2019 03:22:23 pm
      That here is crucial. Every single one is, even the very best ones. A lot of people don't realise that they have their expectations all wrong regarding certain positions. As an example, the other day someone in this forum said that all midfielders should have a 15 goals target at the start of the season - despite the fact that only one man in the past 25 years ever scored that many goals from midfield for us. And the same goes for the fullback position; the standards they're held to is often unrealistic high. They need to be so complete in both sides of the pitch, and somehow always stop players that are faster and running towards them. It's impossible to deal with that completely every time, so every single one is vulnerable to that sort of play.

I still reckon Clyne is a better DEFENDER than Milner, does that mean he would have stopped Zaha, not sure, probably not, but he may have been able to push Palace back a bit more as he is quicker and with younger legs. In any case selling Clyne was a mistake, there is no sugar coating that, it was a foolish move from Klopp and I'm sure if you asked him in private he'd admit that now. Anyway hopefully Tent is back now for the rest of the season so it becomes a non issue.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,231 posts | 1740 
      Reply #1908: Feb 07, 2019 03:25:17 pm

I find it funny how people look back at past players with rose tinted glasses, I bet all of you were cursing Klavan at various points whilst he was here. Klavan was an ok defender but Matip and Lovren are both better and by quite a margin as well. I'm hoping we get Lovren back fit and well until we get Joe, that should give a lot more stability to the defence again as Matip doesn't seem to quite fit in in the same way.
      barney73
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 402 posts | 55 
      Reply #1909: Feb 07, 2019 04:39:15 pm
      I hate those grey shirts we have for this season. What is it about grey shirts and teams wearing them in PL who just don't perform. Should kept that Orange kit looked the business and I can't remember us losing a game playing in it. Thought it looked great too. Don't like the grey😂
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,156 posts | 3382 
      Reply #1910: Feb 07, 2019 05:39:59 pm
      Not that Jürgen would need to listen to my advice but I would say we need to play a little bit less "coached" the greatest players ever to play the game from Pele to Messi don't need coaching and we have a couple of players who need to be inleashed
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,156 posts | 3382 
      Reply #1911: Feb 07, 2019 05:55:16 pm
      what is wonderful is posters flip flopping on the one hand saying other posters looking at former players with rose tinted glasses and then saying Clyne is the answer.
      The answer is Jürgen Klopp.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,156 posts | 3382 
      Reply #1912: Feb 07, 2019 05:56:43 pm
      I hate those grey shirts we have for this season. What is it about grey shirts and teams wearing them in PL who just don't perform. Should kept that Orange kit looked the business and I can't remember us losing a game playing in it. Thought it looked great too. Don't like the grey😂

Don't get me started. What part of " come on you mighty Reds " is so hard to understand. Red at Home or when necessary White with Red Collars away.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 22,526 posts | 2559 
      Reply #1913: Feb 07, 2019 06:08:19 pm

It’s a grim kit colour that, I’ve said it before.. Bring back the green or green/white.... yellow too..👍🏼
      RedKop114
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts |
      Reply #1914: Feb 07, 2019 06:11:23 pm
      We really need to beat Bournemouth while hopefully Chelsea will get some points against City.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,427 posts | 914 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #1915: Feb 08, 2019 10:42:58 am
      I don't think we can afford another abject display from here on in.

A bit worrying to hear Robertson (BBC) say it's not nerves but fatigue. You can get over nerves but you can't do more than rest when it's fatigue. Trouble is, we neither have the time nor the squad to be resting our best players at a time like this.

It'll go down to the wire for sure.

When you hear Robertson talking about fatigue you know it's serious. That man runs in his sleep!  :lmao:

barney73
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 402 posts | 55 
      Reply #1916: Feb 08, 2019 03:32:50 pm
      Lord Klavan May I add 😁 hindsight is a great thing, if Jo was still fully fit & Trent I don’t think we would be in this position, I think we would still be 7 ahead,a point tally I honestly believe we will restore..

Timing and extent of injuries have been sh*te but we came through Xmas looking good and no reason to dip into the market ( Fekir) however as you say with players returning at the right moment we will be fine..

A blip is all it is.. Ox will fix it 😎
      Ox not back till end march start April  and then will need plenty of games to get up to speed. Be next season I'd guess before we see best of him. It difficult to know if he be affected by having such a long term injury physiological or slow him down. Hope not on form he a massive asset as he only one can score from distance. Started off here very slow but was coming good when he got injured. Hopefully the best is yet to come.
      Kopite78
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,813 posts | 1815 
      Reply #1917: Feb 08, 2019 03:51:07 pm
      what is wonderful is posters flip flopping

The answer is Jürgen Klopp.

I agree

However you did say on literally the post above that he's coaching them too much

😂
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,243 posts | 514 
      Reply #1918: Feb 08, 2019 04:04:18 pm
      A few seem to be obsessing on the fullback situation, I would be paying more attention to the poor form of Matip in the heart of our defence. He has been poor and represents a huge drop off from Gomez and is a lesser player compared to Lovren as well. 

Agreed Scott, Matip is poor and that's why he will always be considered a 4th choice center back. Lovren and Gomez are just a level above him.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,327 posts | 2934 
      Reply #1919: Feb 08, 2019 10:46:48 pm
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 22,526 posts | 2559 
      Reply #1920: Feb 08, 2019 11:00:03 pm
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,257 posts | 2358 
      Reply #1921: Feb 09, 2019 09:24:35 am
      Knows a thing or two how to close off a title...

Knows a thing or two about everything relating to the beautiful game mate.

One of the gods of this sport we all adore.

Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,158 posts | 446 
      Reply #1922: Feb 09, 2019 09:30:05 am
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,404 posts | 3939 
      Reply #1923: Feb 09, 2019 04:57:01 pm
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,327 posts | 2934 
      Reply #1924: Feb 09, 2019 06:26:30 pm
      Top of the league what’s this!

Didn’t City win the league against the Bitters?

Quick Reply