Trending Topics

Next match: Palace v LFC [Premier League] Sat 23rd Nov @ 3:00 pm
      Selhurst Park

Today is the 13th of November and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D1 L7

We are top of the league!

Read 162947 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,299 posts | 1321 
      Re: We are top of the league!
      Reply #3050: Oct 27, 2019 11:47:35 pm
      Hopefully Laporte is still out in 2 weeks when they come to Anfield. Obviously we need to win at Villa but I feel like we need to get after City like we did in the Champions League two seasons ago.

Laporte out for a good while yet I believe. The problem is theres not many team capable of getting through their press into that city back line.

Peps teams throughout his career I've felt could always be got at if you could actually get at them. The problem is it very rarely happens.

We are a team capable of doing it though. That game will be a very good one for the neutral but I feel either team can run away with it.

I think we will struggle at their place so a win at ours this time around would be a 3 extra point swing against them than last year - 2 more to us and 1 less for them.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,264 posts | 955 
      Reply #3051: Oct 28, 2019 12:57:52 am
      Hopefully Laporte is still out in 2 weeks when they come to Anfield. Obviously we need to win at Villa but I feel like we need to get after City like we did in the Champions League two seasons ago.

I hope they have their full strength team! We can beat them.

With today's game we pass the 25 % point of the season. SUCH a long way to go but like the manager said after today "So far, so good."

heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,556 posts | 2082 
      Reply #3052: Oct 28, 2019 09:36:13 am
      The City game is very important, more from a phycological point of view than in terms of points, if we win that game then I honestly think we will win the league, even if we lose we have a damned good chance, but it will give them a hell of a shot in the arm.

We will have to play much much better to win though and please please no midfield of Fab, Hendo and Gini, that midfield would get completely overrun I think. We have to be on the front foot against Citeh if we want to beat them.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,043 posts | 2105 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #3053: Oct 28, 2019 07:25:59 pm
      Guys, first is Villa away, there is three precious points to take then we have to think about City not before!

What a massive win yesterday :D

My 9000th post :)
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,506 posts | 508 
      Reply #3054: Oct 28, 2019 07:50:51 pm
      Exactly, f**k the reasonable arguments for other threads ,we are f**king top, :ernaehrung004: :kop5cf8koxp6: :action-smiley-055: :action-smiley-055: 
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,275 posts | 674 
      Reply #3055: Oct 28, 2019 07:55:30 pm
      So, we are 6 points clear and the only member of the "big 6" that we haven't played is City.  We've also already played and beaten Leicester. 

City have yet to play Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea, or Leicester.  They will absolutely drop some points somewhere in those fixtures. If we can keep doing the business against the so called lesser sides and avoid defeat in head-to-head match in 2 weeks then we should have a comfortable lead at the top by Christmas 😎
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,643 posts | 507 
      Reply #3056: Oct 30, 2019 10:59:22 pm
      All the talk before playing Spurs was if how much "pressure" was being put on us by City, that a 8 point lead was cut to a 3 point gap, without mentioning we had a game in hand.

When we played the game in hand, we doubled the previous 3 point gap. But one other well known pundit now believes that it's still City's to lose, as they still have to play us twice.

Indeed they do have to play us twice, and the lead could easily be 9 points by the time they're finished here, with all their top 6 games just around the corner. City haven't won here in 15+ years even with good defenders, not the ones that we will get stuck into in 2 weeks. So it's a good chance to make a strong statement to them and the rest, over who is really top of the league and what we want to achieve this season.
      ozi_wozzy
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,474 posts | 257 
      Reply #3057: Oct 31, 2019 01:09:22 pm
      The City game is very important, more from a phycological point of view than in terms of points,

I don't want to jinx this, but City are capable of winning all their remaining games (as are we). In which case, the 6 points difference will come down to the two games against them. I'd prefer the lads approach this as another 3 points to aim for rather than a psychological blow to the main opponents. I'm liking our methodical, ruthless and emotionless approach to games this season. Spurs was a good example, we never changed game plan and went for the points. That's how I want to approach City games.

What a cracking position to be in though right lad?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,264 posts | 955 
      Reply #3058: Nov 02, 2019 05:29:08 pm
      Basically had the same match as City today. Both went down 1-0. I couldn't see ours but they were not at the races first half. Then you see Southampton and Villa both trying to defend deep and both City and us managed to equalize and then go on top, we just took a bit longer.

So we host them next weekend from a position of strength.

BELIEVE, people. We are better than them.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,157 posts | 506 
      Reply #3059: Nov 02, 2019 05:46:06 pm
      I don't want to jinx this, but City are capable of winning all their remaining games (as are we). In which case, the 6 points difference will come down to the two games against them. I'd prefer the lads approach this as another 3 points to aim for rather than a psychological blow to the main opponents. I'm liking our methodical, ruthless and emotionless approach to games this season. Spurs was a good example, we never changed game plan and went for the points. That's how I want to approach City games.

What a cracking position to be in though right lad?

Ok I’ll make sure to disappear next week. Hopefully it’s a good omen. I should do my part. ;D
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,272 posts | 450 
      Reply #3060: Nov 02, 2019 08:46:04 pm
      Pep is not as worried about the 6 point gap as we would be.He thinks our luck (as he sees it) will run out eventually. We have had several close calls, today being the latest. But I believe we are stronger than them defensively but that won't win us the league.

For sure we need Salah back fully fit and back to somewhere near his best form. We need more goals from midfield. We don't have a predatory striker but we need Bobby to score more. No use anybody jumping on me as we can't keep going down to the wire.

Pep knows that as well.And he won't be upset at getting a point at Anfield. The battle will intensify for sure. We are ready for it, whether we have enough strength in depth to keep on winning remains to be seen. It's still to close to call.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,952 posts | 3461 
      Reply #3061: Nov 02, 2019 10:02:05 pm
      Pep is not as worried about the 6 point gap as we would be.He thinks our luck (as he sees it) will run out eventually. We have had several close calls, today being the latest. But I believe we are stronger than them defensively but that won't win us the league.

For sure we need Salah back fully fit and back to somewhere near his best form. We need more goals from midfield. We don't have a predatory striker but we need Bobby to score more. No use anybody jumping on me as we can't keep going down to the wire.

Pep knows that as well.And he won't be upset at getting a point at Anfield. The battle will intensify for sure. We are ready for it, whether we have enough strength in depth to keep on winning remains to be seen. It's still to close to call.

Bobby can’t really help it when they take goals away from him for no good reason.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,299 posts | 1321 
      Reply #3062: Nov 03, 2019 12:14:39 am
      Pep with a pop after the game today on MoTD  :f_whistle:
      harrydunn08

• 5,275 posts | 674 
      Reply #3063: Nov 03, 2019 01:07:20 am
      Bobby can’t really help it when they take goals away from him for no good reason.

Sorry to call you out on this, but as far as I could tell Bobby was just marginally offside.  The difference between his rightfully disallowed goal and Trezeguet's rightfully allowed goal may have been a few millimeters, but in this case I think VAR got both calls right.  Fortunately, we still won anyway!!!  😎
      RedWilly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,055 posts | 1098 
      Reply #3064: Nov 03, 2019 05:38:59 am
      Pep with a pop after the game today on MoTD  :f_whistle:

What’s he had to say?

Hopefully spank them next week, another Ox winner!!
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 23,411 posts | 2928 
      Reply #3065: Nov 03, 2019 08:00:45 am
      What’s he had to say?

Hopefully spank them next week, another Ox winner!!

Having a dig at Mane, calling Mane a diver..,

Living rent free in Pep’s head..
      GERNS

• 7,538 posts | 548 
      Reply #3066: Nov 03, 2019 08:52:47 am
      I think we will beat city as long as we play the system we know they can’t cope with. Full on press, high tempo start to finish.
      If we draw, nothing changes, still a six point gap. That’s why I think pep will have to go all out for the win. That will open up the game just as it suits us.
      Last season it seamed both sides went out not to lose and was s very cautious game. If we go out like that again, a draw is on the cards. That is more damage to them than us.
      I’d rather smash them with our heavy metal football first half. 3 goal lead and back to our current tactics which have served us well up to now.
      Haven’t seen much of the high press lately. City f**king hate it !
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,157 posts | 506 
      Reply #3067: Nov 03, 2019 08:53:42 am
      Having a dig at Mane, calling Mane a diver..,

Living rent free in Pep’s head..

Afraid of losing a pen. Managing Atkinson and co ahead of time. So fearful.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,556 posts | 2082 
      Reply #3068: Nov 03, 2019 10:21:00 am

I 100% agree with Pep, our luck can't last forever and it won't, but then again our current poor finishing and sloppy level of play won't last forever either, sooner or later we will really start to click into gear and win games comfortably again, hopefully next week against Citeh!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,043 posts | 2105 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #3069: Nov 03, 2019 12:06:28 pm
      We need luck to win games! Pep if you want I will buy you a lollipop :P
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,950 posts | 1891 
      Reply #3070: Nov 03, 2019 12:13:36 pm
      What f**king luck?

You don't get lucky every single game. You don't score last minute winners on a regular basis down to luck. You do through perseverance, ability, quality, desire and a never give up attitude. It shows that we keep going right until the last kick of the game and we get our just rewards.

10 wins and a draw (from a goal that never should of stood) from 11 games is not luck. It's f**king boss!
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,556 posts | 2082 
      Reply #3071: Nov 03, 2019 12:24:47 pm
      What f**king luck?

You don't get lucky every single game. You don't score last minute winners on a regular basis down to luck. You do through perseverance, ability, quality, desire and a never give up attitude. It shows that we keep going right until the last kick of the game and we get our just rewards.

10 wins and a draw (from a goal that never should of stood) from 11 games is not luck. It's f**king boss!

Perhaps luck is the wrong word, but we are scrambling over the line a bit to much recently, I want to get back to winning with ease and converting our chances much much better, we have been very sloppy lately.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,272 posts | 450 
      Reply #3072: Nov 03, 2019 12:53:48 pm
      Pep is trying to prep the Ref. by saying we dive. It was one of Fergies sly tricks.Prep the Ref to look at individual players. Hope the Ref doesn't take the bait. The Premier League should be stricter on this type of stuff.

On second thoughts may be the Boss should call them financial fiddlers. But he won't take the bait either. Plus he's a class act and doesn't stoop to this kind of sculduggery

https://talksport.com/football/600278/man-city-ffp-financial-fair-play-punishment/

« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2019 01:03:13 pm by Harrisimo »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,402 posts | 2006 
      • From Doubters to Believers
      Reply #3073: Nov 03, 2019 01:32:25 pm
      Perhaps luck is the wrong word, but we are scrambling over the line a bit to much recently, I want to get back to winning with ease and converting our chances much much better, we have been very sloppy lately.

F**k all wrong in scrambling over the line mate, it's what Champions do, from absolute batterings to Scrambling over the line, it matters not a f***in jot, winning is what counts,  retaining that winning mentality, and confidence of feeling unbeatable, 
      Good old f***in Pep resorting to Ferguson style tactics means he's f***in worried,  he knows in his mind we're better than his lot, he knows anything other than 3 points next week they'll be ex f***in Champions,

Guess who's under more pressure,  give ye a wee clue, it's not the fella with the shiny teeth and thunderous laugh, the normal one who builds champions rather than buying them, the one who doesn't resort to mind games in a attempt to unsettle a opponent or parts thereof.

Only one I see scrambling is Senor Guardiola, he's scrambling his brain trying to find a solution to stop his nemesis, the Mentality Monsters!!

YNWA
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,264 posts | 955 
      Reply #3074: Nov 03, 2019 02:35:35 pm
      F**k all wrong in scrambling over the line mate, it's what Champions do, from absolute batterings to Scrambling over the line, it matters not a f***in jot, winning is what counts,  retaining that winning mentality, and confidence of feeling unbeatable, 
      Good old f***in Pep resorting to Ferguson style tactics means he's f***in worried,  he knows in his mind we're better than his lot, he knows anything other than 3 points next week they'll be ex f***in Champions,

Guess who's under more pressure,  give ye a wee clue, it's not the fella with the shiny teeth and thunderous laugh, the normal one who builds champions rather than buying them, the one who doesn't resort to mind games in a attempt to unsettle a opponent or parts thereof.

Only one I see scrambling is Senor Guardiola, he's scrambling his brain trying to find a solution to stop his nemesis, the Mentality Monsters!!

YNWA

Great post.

If we want only lopsided, comfortable wins, we can withdraw from the most competitive league in the world and find something in say, the 7th Division of the English football pyramid and the northern Premier League. I reckon we could throttle the likes of Banner Bridge and Morpeth Town on a regular basis. It won't have 1/10 of the meaning, but will spare us the indignity of close and hard-fought wins.

Quick Reply