Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

We are top of the league!

Read 425437 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,495 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: We are top of the league!
      Reply #3243: Dec 08, 2019 01:29:33 pm
      I'm not getting ahead of myself, happy to say I think City are are done but not writing off Leicester, we go there Boxing Day after playing the other side of the world. Win that game and we'll be absolutely flying, lose it and we could be just 5 points clear. We rarely do things the easy way so I can't reconcile myself with the idea that this season will be any different!

Yea that game could be massive.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3244: Dec 08, 2019 01:30:39 pm
      22 league matches remaining which means  we have to remain vigilant AND there's still loads to enjoy this season. Soak it in Reds!

EDIT: Sorry - not even sure where 30 came from. Thanks FL Red.

« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2019 09:53:30 pm by Robby The Z »
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,155 posts | 1381 
      Reply #3245: Dec 08, 2019 01:35:33 pm
      Pep says.."it's not realistic to catch Liverpool now"....well may be not but Klopp won't pay any attention to that. One of Klopp's many good points is I think he doesn't read the press or take any notice what other managers say.Any attempt at mind games fall on deaf ears.

In fact for all Klopp's great communication skills he actually plays his cards close to his chest. Doesn't slag refs or other clubs, never have a clue about his line up. He'll stand players down without a hint.In other words he very often says a lot but it's only peripheral stuff. He's a lot more consciously crafty than many think.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3246: Dec 08, 2019 01:38:56 pm
      I'm not getting ahead of myself, happy to say I think City are are done but not writing off Leicester, we go there Boxing Day after playing the other side of the world. Win that game and we'll be absolutely flying, lose it and we could be just 5 points clear. We rarely do things the easy way so I can't reconcile myself with the idea that this season will be any different!

I'm writing off Leicester, there is simply no way they are going to be able to keep up with us for the rest of the season, they have a very good first team but what happens if they get an injury to Vardy or Maddison, where is their squad depth?

I actually fancy Villa to beat or at least get a draw against them today.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3247: Dec 08, 2019 01:39:24 pm
      30 league matches remaining which means  we have to remain vigilant AND there's still loads to enjoy this season. Soak it in Reds!

30???
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3248: Dec 08, 2019 01:40:49 pm
      30 league matches remaining which means  we have to remain vigilant AND there's still loads to enjoy this season. Soak it in Reds!

22 matches left!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,167 posts | 6342 
      Reply #3249: Dec 08, 2019 01:43:45 pm
      Am confused.....did you mean 22?
      Scottbot

• 9,592 posts | 2153 
      Reply #3250: Dec 08, 2019 01:56:03 pm
      I'm writing off Leicester, there is simply no way they are going to be able to keep up with us for the rest of the season, they have a very good first team but what happens if they get an injury to Vardy or Maddison, where is their squad depth?

I actually fancy Villa to beat or at least get a draw against them today.

That's what everyone kept the saying about them the season they won the bloody thing. Much will depend on injuries for them. Take Vardy out for an extended period and they will be a very different proposition but they have no European football to worry about so you never know. It will be a big game on Boxing Day, win it and we will be looking very good indeed.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,002 posts | 3349 
      Reply #3251: Dec 08, 2019 03:04:17 pm
      Bear in mind that we're eight points clear (as it stands, with Leicester winning) and we've dropped just four points since the beginning of March, it's a huge ask for Leicester (or anybody) to overhaul us.

It's not a case of us having to drop those points, it's a case of them having to win practically every game from here until the end of the season and I don't think Leicester are capable of winning 20 games on the spin. Every club below us with hope of winning the League know they can't really afford to drop any points.

So start booking those holidays folks because there's gonna be one hell of a homecoming parade in Liverpool come May.
      Harrisimo

• 8,155 posts | 1381 
      Reply #3252: Dec 08, 2019 03:10:00 pm
      Evans just made it 3-1 with the a simple free header. Villa defence said...after you claude..

That's what happens when yer let John Terry organise the defence
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #3253: Dec 08, 2019 03:28:00 pm
      I think if we get to the end of January after our fixture run of the Christmas period and tough spell of Spurs (A) Manure (H) and Wolves (A) we have same gap between us and the rest the sides as we do now it is going to be tough to to catch us. It was only a couple weeks ago people were talking about Chelsea than they dropped 6 points in 3 games so it is high standard that teams have to match us so right now we just keep collecting points and put the pressure on the rest to match us.
      Harrisimo

• 8,155 posts | 1381 
      Reply #3254: Dec 08, 2019 03:36:10 pm
      While I wouldn't write off City let alone Leicester. Good move by Rodgers to keep Kolo Toure, and he's first team coach. Loved Toure when he was here and I'll bet he's much respected at Leicester, rightly so.

If we give Leicester a sniff they'll come after us, let nobody be fooled into thinking they will go away..they won't. They are a course and distance winner and Klopp knows it. Up 4-1 today

Big game for us on Boxing day at Leicester.
      « Last Edit: Dec 08, 2019 03:40:25 pm by Harrisimo »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3255: Dec 08, 2019 03:41:06 pm
      That's what everyone kept the saying about them the season they won the bloody thing. Much will depend on injuries for them. Take Vardy out for an extended period and they will be a very different proposition but they have no European football to worry about so you never know. It will be a big game on Boxing Day, win it and we will be looking very good indeed.

The season they won, they were incredibly lucky with injuries, ie they had none, and also that all other teams, especially Spurs, didn't put upa challenge to them, it was a complete freak of a season. This season they need to play better than us over 38 matches, not a chance in hell that happens!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3256: Dec 08, 2019 03:44:10 pm
      While I wouldn't write off City let alone Leicester. Good move by Rodgers to keep Kolo Toure, and he's first team coach. Loved Toure when he was here and I'll bet he's much respected at Leicester, rightly so.

If we give Leicester a sniff they'll come after us, let nobody be fooled into thinking they will go away..they won't. They are a course and distance winner and Klopp knows it. Up 4-1 today

Big game for us on Boxing day at Leicester.

Just a shame Brendan could have coaxed a performance out of his team at the end of last season, they were sh*te against Citeh in that game, that Kompany goal broke my heart, then one day later we beat Barca 4-0 and I was happy again :-)
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,532 posts | 3903 
      Reply #3257: Dec 08, 2019 03:45:17 pm
      Fair F***ing play to Leicester - they look incredible
      Harrisimo

• 8,155 posts | 1381 
      Reply #3258: Dec 08, 2019 03:53:23 pm
      ...V Villa today...pressing every ball..running down every Villa player..and 4-1 up. Impressive. While they might not have the strength in depth of us or the other alleged top teams, we must take their challenge seriously. It's true they might not live at our high altitude but if we falter we could put them in the race.

Villa 1 Leicester 4.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,067 posts | 8510 
      Reply #3259: Dec 08, 2019 03:58:41 pm
      This league still a two horse race then? ;)
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,279 posts | 1513 
      Reply #3260: Dec 08, 2019 04:04:27 pm
      Anyone remember who Leicester have played so far from the top 6 apart from us, and how did they get on ?
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #3261: Dec 08, 2019 04:09:01 pm
      Anyone remember who Leicester have played so far from the top 6 apart from us, and how did they get on ?

Chelsea 1 - 1 Leicester
      United 1 - 0 Leicester
      Leicester 2 - 1 Tottenham
      Liverpool 2 - 1 Leicester
      Leicester 2 - 0 Arsenal
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,279 posts | 1513 
      Reply #3262: Dec 08, 2019 04:09:53 pm
      ...V Villa today...pressing every ball..running down every Villa player..and 4-1 up. Impressive. While they might not have the strength in depth of us or the other alleged top teams, we must take their challenge seriously. It's true they might not live at our high altitude but if we falter we could put them in the race.

Villa 1 Leicester 4.

It seems the style of play Rogers has adopted at Leicester is akin to the high press of Jürgen. Suitable when you’ve got a striker with the pace of Vardy looking to break all match. But it will be said it’s Rogers brilliant tactical mind that has discovered this. Other mid table teams see Leicester as equal, so will open up and have a go, which suits them. How will they cope when sides sit back with 8 defenders and there’s no room for Vardy to run into ?
      Not saying they’re a one man team, but without him and that tactic, they’re not nearly as potent.
      Harrisimo

• 8,155 posts | 1381 
      Reply #3263: Dec 08, 2019 05:00:24 pm

It seems the style of play Rogers has adopted at Leicester is akin to the high press of Jürgen. Suitable when you’ve got a striker with the pace of Vardy looking to break all match. But it will be said it’s Rogers brilliant tactical mind that has discovered this. Other mid table teams see Leicester as equal, so will open up and have a go, which suits them. How will they cope when sides sit back with 8 defenders and there’s no room for Vardy to run into ?
      Not saying they’re a one man team, but without him and that tactic, they’re not nearly as potent.

They do rely on pace as Vardy sits on the shoulder, we've done a bit of that.I'm not claiming we can't hold them at arms length and more. We can. Our main challenger, City have fell away somewhat but there's always a challenge coming in this league. If we can hold and possibly increase our lead before the boxing day game at Leicester we could damage them and put paid to any notion of a neck and neck race.

They've got Norwich H, City A, Everton A before they play us.
      « Last Edit: Dec 08, 2019 05:11:31 pm by Harrisimo »
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #3264: Dec 08, 2019 05:01:54 pm
      While we are in Qatar, Leicester travel to the Etihad. One of the 2 or both are gonna drop points and suits us.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,279 posts | 1513 
      Reply #3265: Dec 08, 2019 05:04:06 pm
      While we are in Qatar, Leicester travel to the Etihad. One of the 2 or both are gonna drop points and suits us.

Nice, we can enjoy the break from the intensity of the Prem, and watch one of them self destruct. 😁

Quick Reply