Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

We are top of the league!

Read 422904 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Re: We are top of the league!
      Reply #3266: Dec 08, 2019 05:05:55 pm
      Incredibly brave to write Leicester off at this stage. They're playing very well at the moment and they've already done it once before as underdogs. That and the fact we're in Qatar just a few days before we go away to them makes me think it's a bit silly to write them off so early.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #3267: Dec 08, 2019 06:57:20 pm
      Incredibly brave to write Leicester off at this stage. They're playing very well at the moment and they've already done it once before as underdogs. That and the fact we're in Qatar just a few days before we go away to them makes me think it's a bit silly to write them off so early.

They done it as underdogs but also as front runners as well. They were top from the 13th game onwards bar four or five games at which point the difference between themselves and top (Arsenal) was a mere two points. And the biggest gap between themselves and top was after just seven games when they were four points behind United.

I'm not knocking what they achieved that year, it was a fantastic achievement but like I said, they were setting the pace for most of it due to most of the other teams having really poor seasons. Can they keep up and overtake a team who is setting the pace like we are this year? I don't think so. And if they really do have aspirations of winning the League this year then a draw against us isn't good enough at this stage - meaning they'll have to come out and attack, leaving space at the back for us to exploit.

The only way we lose the League from here is over-confidence or complacency. And even then it'll take a monumental effort to catch us and a sustained run of bad form on our part. A run that hasn't looked likely in the last two years.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3268: Dec 08, 2019 07:11:30 pm
      For Leicester to win it this year they will need a lot more points than they managed when they did win it.

We just need to keep doing our thing and if we do, Leicester will drop points in the end.

At the moment it is no bad thing that we are being pushed rather than left out totally in front. Their game against City and us are both huge.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #3269: Dec 08, 2019 07:54:02 pm
      One thing i have always taught my sons is to never be arrogant but also not be afraid to be confident. I don't wish to speak it but i just can't help feeling there is no way on God's earth we will lose this race. Everything we touch is turning to gold. It's taken a while to get there but we are reaping the rewards of the patience of Klopp. The foundations are now settled and the building has begun.

The most important thing for me is that he is doing it the right way, 'The Liverpool Way'
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3270: Dec 08, 2019 09:55:39 pm
      Am confused.....did you mean 22?

Ah of course. Not sure what I was thinking when I typed 30.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #3271: Dec 09, 2019 05:17:36 pm
      F***ing hell Boston, where did you get that photo of my missus ? 😂

I'll dig out some more if we keep this up..oo er. ;)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3272: Dec 09, 2019 05:22:44 pm

I'll dig out some more if we keep this up..oo er. ;)

Preferably the front this time ..😎
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #3273: Dec 10, 2019 02:03:49 pm
      With City slipping up (again  ;D) the weekend, I reckon 91 points will be enough to win the league, meaning we need: -

13 wins
      6 draws
      3 defeats

from our remaining 22 games, or some variation thereof.

Sounds a piece of p*** when put like that!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3274: Dec 10, 2019 02:14:49 pm
      With City slipping up (again  ;D) the weekend, I reckon 91 points will be enough to win the league, meaning we need: -

13 wins
      6 draws
      3 defeats

That is definitely doable and I think you are right, although I actually think we'll get more than that, I really feel we will win this with quite a few games to spare.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #3275: Dec 10, 2019 02:27:32 pm

13 wins
      6 draws
      3 defeats

I'd rather go for a record points total ;)
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #3276: Dec 10, 2019 03:29:50 pm
      I'd rather go for a record points total ;)

How about 37-1-0? 112 points? People will still be praising that City team though, for their back to back titles.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #3277: Dec 11, 2019 08:48:40 am
      After these last 3 games, just feels like we have turned the corner. I know we have been winning but now the players that has been coming in look hungry they want to stay in the 1st 11 and seems all happy with a great team spirit
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #3278: Dec 11, 2019 02:30:48 pm
      There's a hunger from the players because they're playing in League games with those you'd call the first XI rather than being put in a League Cup tie with a bunch of youngsters where some experienced pros might take it as an insult. Rewarding the players with a starting role in a League game is gonna keep them hungry and wanting to improve, it'll also push the regular starters to pick up their game. It's no coincidence that bringing a few squad players in has seen us lift our game to our most impressive performances of the season in recent weeks.

And that hungry squad is going to drive us to continue to improve as a unit. And then come May, we'll be having the biggest party this city has ever seen with six trophies on our homecoming parade.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3279: Dec 11, 2019 02:36:54 pm
      There's a hunger from the players because they're playing in League games with those you'd call the first XI rather than being put in a League Cup tie with a bunch of youngsters where some experienced pros might take it as an insult. Rewarding the players with a starting role in a League game is gonna keep them hungry and wanting to improve, it'll also push the regular starters to pick up their game. It's no coincidence that bringing a few squad players in has seen us lift our game to our most impressive performances of the season in recent weeks.

And that hungry squad is going to drive us to continue to improve as a unit. And then come May, we'll be having the biggest party this city has ever seen with six trophies on our homecoming parade.

6 you say?

SuperCup, Club World Cup, Premier League, Champions League, FA Cup and  ... ?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3280: Dec 11, 2019 02:37:49 pm

6 you say?

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #3281: Dec 11, 2019 02:39:18 pm
      6 you say?

League Cup.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3282: Dec 11, 2019 03:07:00 pm

It would take a miracle for our B/C team to beat Villa away, best we can hope for is penalties I think.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #3283: Dec 11, 2019 03:32:25 pm

It's a F***ing long time mate since we had this much strength in depth, the other crews know it and are fearful of the red army..
      Our failing  previously at this stage of the game was directly due to quality replacement or the lack of, looking good Billy.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3284: Dec 11, 2019 03:38:59 pm
      After last year and our 6th European Cup and amazing points tally I really was ready for something less superb this season ….
      F***ing WOW was I wrong this team are animals they take the thought of defeat personally don't they.  Lets just keep doing things the right way one game at a time and see were we are in March. In the meantime Watford next at Anfield any win will do
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #3285: Dec 11, 2019 03:39:22 pm
      It would take a miracle for our B/C team to beat Villa away, best we can hope for is penalties I think.

You do know we're Liverpool don't you? The club who have been performing miracles since 1892.

It's a F***ing long time mate since we had this much strength in depth, the other crews know it and are fearful of the red army..
      Our failing  previously at this stage of the game was directly due to quality replacement or the lack of, looking good Billy.

Easily the strongest squad we've had for some time mate. Both in terms of quality and mentality.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3286: Dec 11, 2019 03:41:08 pm
      You do know we're Liverpool don't you? The club who have been performing miracles since 1892.

Easily the strongest squad we've had for some time mate. Both in terms of quality and mentality.

just watched the under 19's mate 2-0 down then they won 3-2 with the last kick of the game so yeah we are Liverpool and I expect us to go to Villa and win.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #3287: Dec 11, 2019 04:10:06 pm

Miracles can happen...we're Liverpool F C....we've done that and worn the t-shirts...one of them says Champions league winners 2005...another one says Liverpool 4 Barcelona 0 returning a 3-0 deficit...there is only one club that produces miraculous performances...Guess Who ?

Have a bit more faith in our young Uns mate, it's 11 V 11 in a cup tie, who'd dya think will be hungrier, and who are more likely to be complacent?

We won't need a miracle that day, just some determination,  hard graft and passion,  oh and a wee bit of lady luck too.

The pressure is all on Villa, not our young lads !

YNWA
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #3288: Dec 11, 2019 04:31:30 pm

Finally I agree with you.  I think if we win the Villa game it will be bigger than Barca.  I want to see the line up but honestly speaking I don't give our players a chance.  Men against kids its going to be.    Aston Villa have a chance to get into a semi finals they going to field a strong team. 

Quick Reply