Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

We are top of the league!

Read 422837 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Dec 02, 2008 01:10:04 pm
      First off I had no idea what to call this topic so sorry for the poor title!!

When I arrived home last night I was far to angry to start posting I dont know what I would have said and even this morning I was fuming. Until I got a text around 11 saying

"Terrible result last night and have been playing terrible too. But were still there. No Nando Stevie still to hit top form,things arent that bad.Were normally at least 10 points off the pace at this stage of the season. we will be there or there abouts"

Its spot on. If in August before the season kicked off you told me wed be top in December Id have been well pleased. We arent playing well at all and traditionally struggle in November but were top and safe in the last 16 of Europe. I agree that the points dropped at home are stupid points to drop but that will come right.

What we need now is to be "fans" and give our all to backing the boys. Again last night you could feel the crowds anxiety so imagine how the players feel? Lets prove that our boys will never walk alone.

Come on were top lets help us stay there 
      « Last Edit: Dec 03, 2008 12:18:20 pm by JD »
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Re: Our current situation
      Reply #1: Dec 02, 2008 01:20:39 pm

When I arrived home last night I was far to angry to start posting I dont know what I would have said and even this morning I was fuming. Until I got a text around 11 saying

"Terrible result last night and have been playing terrible too. But were still there. No Nando Stevie still to hit top form,things arent that bad.Were normally at least 10 points off the pace at this stage of the season. we will be there or there abouts"

Its spot on. If in August before the season kicked off you told me wed be top in December Id have been well pleased. We arent playing well at all and traditionally struggle in November but were top and safe in the last 16 of Europe. I agree that the points dropped at home are stupid points to drop but that will come right.

What we need now is to be "fans" and give our all to backing the boys. Again last night you could feel the crowds anxiety so imagine how the players feel? Lets prove that our boys will never walk alone.

Good post m8! Sums up my thoughts exactly.. If us as fans transfer our anxiety to the players who happen to be top of the league their likely to feel like their in a relegation battle. How the hell are they going to maintain a "were going to win the league" mentality when fans are booing them at the top of the table?..
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #2: Dec 02, 2008 02:10:47 pm
      nice to hear some optimism.were top of the league and in a title race.i wonder if we were offered to be a point clear at the top going into December after only losing one league game weed have bitten there hands off!especially after playing so many games without our two best players.
      come on everybody we should all be proud of the players efforts so far.lets all get behind them!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #3: Dec 02, 2008 02:17:42 pm
      We didn't play well, didn't beat teams we should be beating in the last few weeks but all that matters is that we are through the next round of the Champions League and we are top of the table by a point. And this has surpass beyond my expectations. Title winning teams win at all cost, even if they don't perform well. We took advantage of Chelsea's slip up by going ahead by a signle point but obviously could have done better. It's over, forget the last game and step up gear in the next games.

We have won games we didn't win last season (United, Chelsea, Man City) and it is definitely a season to look forward to and to cheer for the team till the many last few weeks of the BPL.

The lads of course have as much desire as us to win the league. So, let's get behind their backs and help Liverpool stay top till May and we might just be celebrating no 19 and the double :) Jeering just shows how much you want to win the league......
      Imo75
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #4: Dec 02, 2008 02:55:41 pm
      To quote the great Jamie Carragher:

"...normally when you are not playing too well you go down the league. Instead we are going up the league when we are not at our best."
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #5: Dec 02, 2008 06:40:03 pm
      That's us.  Best football club in the country at the minute.

And playing crap.

:lmao:

Oh the media must be in tears!

Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: We are top of the league!
      Reply #6: Dec 02, 2008 06:44:00 pm
      We're too good even when we're bad!
      mkj1972
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 764 posts |
      Reply #7: Dec 02, 2008 06:59:56 pm
      Just hope we can stay at the top,although we won`t if we keep on drawing against teams like West Ham,they did exactly what Stoke and Fulham did,fustrate Liverpool and we could not break them down.
      We have got to start turning these draws into wins.

solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #8: Dec 02, 2008 07:03:49 pm
      We tried to score.

We are that good at attempting to score.

Now we have to win all the other games to stay on top.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #9: Dec 02, 2008 07:06:08 pm
      Oh the media must be in tears!

Screw 'em! :D

After all we have to moan about, this is a position any one of us would have accepted no questions asked before the season began.

OK, there's plenty of faults that need ironing out, but we're still in charge, and so long as we get the right results, we'll stay there.

My God, if this is what we can do playing crap, if ever we get a decent run of form we'll be walking the league this season! :D
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #10: Dec 02, 2008 07:23:23 pm
      Come on step up two gears now. Give us a Xmas presant.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #11: Dec 02, 2008 10:27:48 pm
      And......

WE SHALL NOT WE SHALL BE MOVED

Ah to hear that at Anfield again would be nice
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #12: Dec 02, 2008 11:14:31 pm
      It really is nice, after the way we've played and the way I feel, to come onto this forum and feel so much better about the situation after reading coments in threads like these. Well done.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #13: Dec 02, 2008 11:20:46 pm
      it's brill being top of the league and 'playing sh*te!'

god help the rest of them when we start playing well!

get in there

:aaliverpool2xt1: :kop5cf8koxp6: :clap: :kop5cf8koxp6: :aaliverpool2xt1:

CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #14: Dec 02, 2008 11:28:41 pm
      ;D

Wish a few more people would embrace this feeling now! :D If we carry on playing the way we are, then there's still a half chance we'll win the league.

Or, as most people know, if we turn it on second half of the season (as usual) then we're going to piss it.

Chin up ladies and gents! ;)
      KIN
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      Reply #15: Dec 03, 2008 04:41:34 am
      i miss the thread like this :) but still i confused what i have supposed to do to make my optimism rise up or how to support our lads :(

the best thing i can do is just support them on every match they play, pray, and hope that everything will gonna be allright so they do their best!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #16: Dec 03, 2008 07:28:36 am
       I agree with you Brian 78  no supporter would want to change our position at the top and we are the envy of every club in the country and also we have progressed in the Champions Cup with a match to spare.Although it is not nice to watch when we play lousy football  and not get beat it is worse when we play well and lose,I know what I prefer.If we finish top (and we can ) in May there will not be many complaining when we bring the trophy back to Anfield.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #17: Dec 03, 2008 10:22:43 am
      Please can someone actually tell me when a team has won the league playing total football???? Even Arsenal's invincible team had to "grind out results".

A team that grinds is a team that wins.
      Dangerous Dave
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts |
      Reply #18: Dec 03, 2008 10:36:59 am
      There is room for improvement (an understatement). However, we have still improved from previous years performances.
      This year we are winning games that we would have drawn, and drawing games that we would have lost in years gone by.
      Just wait until we start playing the way we know we can.

CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #19: Dec 03, 2008 11:45:34 am

Excellent post Brian. I was thinking about this myself after the result.

November is a consistently sh*te month for the Redmen yet we're through comfortably in Europe. We're out of the Carling Cup yes, but how many sleepless nights will you have over that? ::)

The results from last month....

01 Nov, 2008 Tottenham Hotspur 1-2
      04 Nov, 2008 Atletico Madrid 1-1
      08 Nov, 2008 West Brom 3-0
      12 Nov, 2008 Tottenham Hotspur 2-4
      15 Nov, 2008 Bolton Wanderers 2-0
      22 Nov, 2008 Fulham 0-0
      26 Nov, 2008 Olympique Marseille 1-0

We lost to Tottenham and then (barring the Carling Cup of course) went undefeated! ;) And we still are! :D

There is room for improvement (an understatement).

I love the fact that there's room for improvement. We're top of the league and there's room for improvement.

Bring on the second half of the season! As I've mentioned in another thread, if we turn it on as per usual after Christmas, then we're going to f*cking piss it this year! :D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Top of the League optimism thread
      Reply #20: Dec 03, 2008 12:19:55 pm
      Almost started a similar topic myself yesterday.

If we take a step back then yeah - we are normally chasing 4th spot at this stage of the season, so to be top of the league and knowing we are chronically under-performing then that does say a lot.

Fingers crossed we start turning our performances around on Satdee!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #21: Dec 03, 2008 12:22:30 pm
      Fingers crossed we start turning our performances around on Satdee!

Fingers crossed eh?

Loving the new thread name by the way! ;D
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #22: Dec 03, 2008 12:26:13 pm
      Like Carra said , we aren't playing that well and are through the next round of UCL and top of the league is one of the positives to take into our head.

Other positives is also that Xabi Alonso is being consistent and showing the form he had just when he arrived in 2004.
      We are also the team that so far only lost once in the league and have a relatively good defensive record of 8(only Chelsea's 6 is better).

We just didn't get the results we'd love to have got but we are still in the title race and will be till May 2009.

Quick Reply