Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

We are top of the league!

Read 423103 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: We are top of the league!
      Reply #1518: Jan 04, 2019 02:00:48 am
      Win 16 and we're champions.

That's it.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #1519: Jan 04, 2019 04:27:16 am
      4 points above is better than being 4 points below. The merits of being flawless in the league in 2018.
      « Last Edit: Jan 04, 2019 04:31:32 am by Gill95 »
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #1520: Jan 04, 2019 06:30:01 am
      Need to go one game at a time and build some momentum and show that last night won’t develop into a wobble. The whole world and his dog will be waiting for us to drop points now and the pressure will be immense, but fortunately we have some very calm and grounded characters in that dressing room.

Jürgen will see us right!
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #1521: Jan 04, 2019 07:05:14 am
      Need to go one game at a time and build some momentum and show that last night won’t develop into a wobble. The whole world and his dog will be waiting for us to drop points now and the pressure will be immense, but fortunately we have some very calm and grounded characters in that dressing room.

Jürgen will see us right!

Add to that, this was probably the last tough away game this season. Toughest by a margin. Still think we can do it. One game at a time.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #1522: Jan 04, 2019 07:58:01 am
      The positive point about being humbled by Man City is that it will keep us on our toes. The bigger the gap gets to 2nd place, the more chance for players to get complacent I feel. It also shows that despite our huge improvements since last year, there’s a few other areas we need to improve.

We’ll bounce back in our next few games and this game will become irrelevant. 4 point gap, let’s keep going.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1523: Jan 04, 2019 09:43:21 am
      The positive point about being humbled by Man City is that it will keep us on our toes. The bigger the gap gets to 2nd place, the more chance for players to get complacent I feel. It also shows that despite our huge improvements since last year, there’s a few other areas we need to improve.

We’ll bounce back in our next few games and this game will become irrelevant. 4 point gap, let’s keep going.

humbled by Citeh?? In what way, they only just beat us in a very tight game and if we'd been a bit more positive in our team selection we may well have won, but this doesn't even register as a set back. We were beaten by a very good team who were super motivated at their own ground, we have all the tools to go on another good run now, I'm just hoping that Arsenal and/or Chelsea can take some points off Citeh.
      For us we have 4 tricky games left, Manure away, which we seem to always struggle in, but hopefully the Solskjaer effect will have worn off by then. Bitters away, on paper we should win easily but Derby games are always tricky and then we have Spurs and Chelsea at home which are also potential banana skins. If we can navigate those and keep our focus against the lower teams, as we have doen so far, then we win the league.
      We have 4 points which we can drop in relation to Citeh and out of those 4 tricky games I'd be expecting us to not lose any more than that but I still think we need Citeh to lose some points as well, which I think they will.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1524: Jan 04, 2019 09:52:11 am
      My workings are that we might well have to go unbeaten again till the end of the season to nick this one.

No reason we cant but an exut Monday night might be a help...unless we go with kids for the cup and give them a go
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #1525: Jan 04, 2019 09:56:29 am
      humbled by Citeh?? In what way, they only just beat us in a very tight game and if we'd been a bit more positive in our team selection we may well have won, but this doesn't even register as a set back. We were beaten by a very good team who were super motivated at their own ground, we have all the tools to go on another good run now, I'm just hoping that Arsenal and/or Chelsea can take some points off Citeh.
      For us we have 4 tricky games left, Manure away, which we seem to always struggle in, but hopefully the Solskjaer effect will have worn off by then. Bitters away, on paper we should win easily but Derby games are always tricky and then we have Spurs and Chelsea at home which are also potential banana skins. If we can navigate those and keep our focus against the lower teams, as we have doen so far, then we win the league.
      We have 4 points which we can drop in relation to Citeh and out of those 4 tricky games I'd be expecting us to not lose any more than that but I still think we need Citeh to lose some points as well, which I think they will.

Maybe 'humbled' was the wrong choice of word; I was referring to the end of our unbeaten run. Potentially a few of the players were starting to feel we could be invincible all season (*cough* Lovren) and our performance does suggest we do need to improve areas of our game. 

I do agree though, this is just a hiccup for us. I don't even think we're at our best considering we are top of the league and there's more still to come. We'll bounce back stronger than ever.

The Chelsea game at home is the 3rd to last game - we may have the title wrapped up by then, you never know. The Spurs game at home is the 5th to last game - City had it in the bag by then last year.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #1526: Jan 04, 2019 10:01:54 am
      I actually fancy Wolves to get a result against City, they give everyone a tough game and almost beat them at their ground earlier in the season.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1527: Jan 04, 2019 10:47:46 am
      I actually fancy Wolves to get a result against City, they give everyone a tough game and almost beat them at their ground earlier in the season.

I think if we win all our next 2 games we could be clear by 7 points before City kick a PL ball..City have Cup games to deal with inbeteeen league games..

Liverpool fixtures...

Monday 7th January
      THE FA CUP
      THIRD ROUND
      Wolverhampton Wanderers
      19:45

Liverpool
      Saturday 12th January
      PREMIER LEAGUE
      Brighton & Hove Albion
      15:00
      Liverpool

Saturday 19th January
      PREMIER LEAGUE
      Liverpool
      15:00
      Crystal Palace

Wednesday 30th January
      PREMIER LEAGUE
      Liverpool
      20:00
      Leicester City

Man City fixtures...

Sunday 6th January
      THE FA CUP
      THIRD ROUND
      Manchester City
      14:00

Rotherham United
      Wednesday 9th January
      EFL CUP
      SEMI-FINAL
      Manchester City

Burton Albion
      Monday 14th January
      PREMIER LEAGUE
      Manchester City

Wolverhampton Wanderers
      Sunday 20th January
      PREMIER LEAGUE
      Huddersfield Town
      13:30

Manchester City
      Tuesday 22nd January
      EFL CUP
      SEMI-FINAL
      Burton Albion

Manchester City
      Tuesday 29th January
      PREMIER LEAGUE
      Newcastle United
      Manchester City
      « Last Edit: Jan 04, 2019 10:59:18 am by Shabs »
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #1528: Jan 04, 2019 10:50:54 am
      The reality is that we were always going to lose at some point. Arsenal and a few other teams aside, you just don't go through a season unbeaten.

That means the critics were always going to be right, in that not if, but when we lost, they could point the finger and shout 'BOTTLED IT'! It was inevitable that was going to happen.

Klopp will know more about his players after a loss not when winning game after game. We lost against City because we were sloppy in possession and because Klopp got it wrong; don't think he should play Henderson and Milner in midfield again. Lovren, well, we know what he can do and that he gets rattled. But what was Klopp going to do with Gomez and Matip out?

I think the next league game is the most important so far. Brighton away is now massive. Wasn't it Houllier who said great teams don't lose two in a row?

I also think that losing our unbeaten run is a monkey off our backs.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #1529: Jan 04, 2019 11:10:48 am
      I still think this is a two horse race as Spurs will drop more points along the way with away trips to ourselves, Chelsea and City along with home games to both Arsenal and United.

We need to in my opinion to stretch our lead over City to 6 or 7 points over January/February. They have Carabao cup games and tricky fixtures away to Newcastle and at home to both Arsenal and Chelsea.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1530: Jan 04, 2019 12:17:36 pm
      I still think this is a two horse race as Spurs will drop more points along the way with away trips to ourselves, Chelsea and City along with home games to both Arsenal and United.

We need to in my opinion to stretch our lead over City to 6 or 7 points over January/February. They have Carabao cup games and tricky fixtures away to Newcastle and at home to both Arsenal and Chelsea.

How is an away match against Newcastle tricky??
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1531: Jan 04, 2019 02:05:40 pm
      Ultimately, we were 7 points clear. If we don’t win the league this season then we’d have had to of seriously fu**ed up a great position to be in. We were going to lose sooner or later, I’d rather that defeat be a narrow one to a team like City than to the likes of Palace, where it really can hit the morale of the team.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1532: Jan 04, 2019 02:07:09 pm
      Ultimately, we were 7 points clear. If we don’t win the league this season then we’d have had to of seriously fu**ed up a great position to be in. We were going to lose sooner or later, I’d rather that defeat be a narrow one to a team like City than to the likes of Palace, where it really can hit the morale of the team.

The cool thing is...we can still take another loss and be 1st place by a point. Our good start enabled us to to have a hiccup here or there and honestly, with this team...there really shouldn't be too many hiccups. And City are still under pressure because they know every single point dropped, just gives us more leverage.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1533: Jan 04, 2019 02:10:20 pm
      The cool thing is...we can still take another loss and be 1st place by a point. Our good start enabled us to to have a hiccup here or there and honestly, with this team...there really shouldn't be too many hiccups. And City are still under pressure because they know every single point dropped, just gives us more leverage.

They will also be aware of just how close it came to being a different situation after the first half. How we didn’t score was the worst luck possible - Mane hitting the post, the line clearance and the ball not falling right for Salah. It’s not like they’ve hammered us 5-0 again. I think if we had taken the lead then we’d have won.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #1534: Jan 04, 2019 05:30:22 pm
      Still top.

Still clear at the top.

Still gonna win the League.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1535: Jan 05, 2019 12:38:01 am
      Let's just hope the Boys believe what we believe.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #1536: Jan 05, 2019 06:09:17 am
      I think we are a different team, mentality wise. We're going to do it. We made them sh*t their pants in the last 10 minutes at their home ground. That says a lot.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1537: Jan 05, 2019 06:55:28 am
      WE'RE STILL TOP,  WE WILL.STAY TOP,

City will drop further points, why ?

Cos they are chasing,  every match they HAVE to win, THAT'S EVERY SINGLE MATCH, just to hang on to our arses,

We ourselves have 3 high end games left against rivals two at home and one away at a mediocre Manure,  no reason we can't get 9 out of 9 from them,

As for the rest, well, we were unbeaten until Thursday,  HOW ?

We took one game, one opponent at a time and dealt with them accordingly,  kept our feet on the ground,  had no complacency,  we played aggressive football when it suited,  and a controlled measured style when required,  have only conceded 9 times in 21 matches,

We have 17 league games to go, and all we need to do is the same and its done.

NO REASON  WHATSOEVER,
      THAT WE WON'T  !!

ITS COMING !!

YNWA
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #1538: Jan 05, 2019 04:06:46 pm
      We just play our own game now, as we have done all season.

Controlled, calm, dominant. A side glance on City’s results, and move on. No reason to say that we will suffer a loss of form due to one game.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1539: Jan 05, 2019 04:09:14 pm
      City will buckle, it’s happened before it’ll happen again...

Klopp under that cool steel exterior of his won’t be letting us slip up...nah..He wants it for us more than himself..
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #1540: Jan 05, 2019 05:19:03 pm

Great point - injuries aside a lead is supposed to allow hiccups - we didn’t get outplayed but if you are going to lose city away is pretty high on the probability factor

Quick Reply