Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

We are top of the league!

Read 423206 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: We are top of the league!
      Reply #1886: Feb 07, 2019 10:32:31 am
      I've felt pretty depressed with it all the past few days and have to admit my belief that we can win it has diminished somewhat but a good win at the weekend will improve my mood and belief considerably. However, I am concerned about the following game at the mancs, they are on fire at the moment and will have a point to prove against us. We desperately need to rediscover the defensive solidity that has been the bedrock of our play this season but clearly we are missing Gomez, TAA and to a lesser extent Lovren. I don't know the wait on Lovren but I believe Trent must be close to a return, the sooner the better.

I'm actually not feeling so down any more as I've realised that both Leicester and West Ham are pretty good teams and we were hampered by injuries and loss of form whilst they both had a good game, in other words it was good to get anything out of those games. We are still a damned good team and will only get better when injured players return plus with Keita and Fabinho finally slotting into place and possibly the Ox re-joining the effort soon we could actually be even better than the first half of the season, we do tend to perofrm better second half anyway.
      Its crucial that we win on Saturday, I think we'll win quite comfortably actually, and then we have 10 days to get more players back fit before we face Manure. I know everyone is raving about them at the moment but I have seen in recent weeks a bit of the Solskjaer bounce begin to fade, they are still good, but we are better, and the way they play now they leave more gaps behind and that defence is still crappy and can be got at but I expect by then we have Lovren back alongside Virgil, Trent and Robbo with Hendo and Fabinho providing extra cover in midfield. If our attackers are on form, and surely for a big match like that they will be, then we can then win or at least draw.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Reply #1887: Feb 07, 2019 10:33:46 am
      I know but we should be 4 points clear with a game in hand it's so f**king frustrating!

Ideally we should have been 17 points clear with 75 points, not 4! But even then, 17 clear is still not enough for some of us.

In truth, we can put any number we like ranging up to 17 points. It still doesnā€™t change the standings on the table today.

Just concentrate on ourselves win the next game and weā€™re back to our 3 point lead.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1888: Feb 07, 2019 10:35:20 am
      Jeez, level on points, game in hand & the most financially fooled team in the PL went ahead of us on goal difference...

Problems..sure

Pep & Co looked stressed & fatigued b6 this run in..they will fall again..
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1889: Feb 07, 2019 10:44:02 am
      City can play any combination of 3 from a group of 6 attacking players.
      LFC have reliably got 4.
      If LFC don't win anything it'll be because of the drop off to Sturridge & Origi,
      not Klopp.

It's because of Klopp and the work put in so far that the team is joint top of the league with a game in hand.

Enjoy the ride.

I agree with this and Spurs really have the same issue. They have managed though to dig out the 1-0s without Alli and Kane.

I'm not sure either club can compete with City for squad depth while they are sponsoring themselves 100s of millions a season.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1890: Feb 07, 2019 10:45:18 am
      So Milly at right back has 2 assists in 2 appearances . That is as many as Clyne has in his Liverpool career add the 7 appearances in 2 years to the equation and poor Nat has nothing to do with our recent ā€œslumpā€.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1891: Feb 07, 2019 10:51:41 am
      So Milly at right back has 2 assists in 2 appearances . That is as many as Clyne has in his Liverpool career add the 7 appearances in 2 years to the equation and poor Nat has nothing to do with our recent ā€œslumpā€.

I'd love to look at the defensive stats though because I'd be amazed if Clyne wasn't much better there. I do agree that Clyne was a bit crap going forwards but overall I'd still play him every time over Milner.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #1892: Feb 07, 2019 11:13:19 am
      I'd love to look at the defensive stats though because I'd be amazed if Clyne wasn't much better there. I do agree that Clyne was a bit crap going forwards but overall I'd still play him every time over Milner.

A few seem to be obsessing on the fullback situation, I would be paying more attention to the poor form of Matip in the heart of our defence. He has been poor and represents a huge drop off from Gomez and is a lesser player compared to Lovren as well. 
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #1893: Feb 07, 2019 11:35:13 am

If you think about the defence he was playing in I really doubt it Heimy.

Every fullback is vulnerable to what Zaha did and the goals vs Leicester and West Ham had nowt to do with Milner.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #1894: Feb 07, 2019 12:22:06 pm
      I don't think we can afford another abject display from here on in.

A bit worrying to hear Robertson (BBC) say it's not nerves but fatigue. You can get over nerves but you can't do more than rest when it's fatigue. Trouble is, we neither have the time nor the squad to be resting our best players at a time like this.

It'll go down to the wire for sure.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,670 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1895: Feb 07, 2019 12:35:02 pm
      If we don't win a trophy this season, Klopp isn't as amazing as people think.
      We won't be top tonight anymore.

Win the league or not, Klopp is a amazing manager. If I'd of said the above I'd be called a WUM  ;D The man has brought belief back into your city yet you still continue to knock him Rib.  :f_doh:

I think you won't be happy till he does the treble, anything less will be a disappointment  :D I'd take him as manager at United regardless. Some fans just don't realise when they have a world class manager in front of them.  :o
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1896: Feb 07, 2019 12:35:36 pm
      Every fullback is vulnerable to what Zaha did

That here is crucial. Every single one is, even the very best ones. A lot of people don't realise that they have their expectations all wrong regarding certain positions. As an example, the other day someone in this forum said that all midfielders should have a 15 goals target at the start of the season - despite the fact that only one man in the past 25 years ever scored that many goals from midfield for us. And the same goes for the fullback position; the standards they're held to is often unrealistically high. They need to be so complete in both sides of the pitch, and somehow always stop players that are faster and running towards them. It's impossible to deal with that completely every time, so every single one is vulnerable to that sort of play.
      « Last Edit: Feb 07, 2019 10:29:09 pm by Diego LFC »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #1897: Feb 07, 2019 12:41:48 pm
      That here is crucial. Every single one is, even the very best ones. A lot of people don't realise that they have their expectations all wrong regarding certain positions. As an example, the other day someone in this forum said that all midfielders should have a 15 goals target at the start of the season - despite the fact that only one man in the past 25 years ever scored that many goals from midfield for us. And the same goes for the fullback position; the standards they're held to is often unrealistic high. They need to be so complete in both sides of the pitch, and somehow always stop players that are faster and running towards them. It's impossible to deal with that completely every time, so every single one is vulnerable to that sort of play.

Spot on D - theyā€™re human beings not ā€œIvan Dragoā€ type robots.

Thereā€™s only so much that defenders can physically do one on one.

Similarly thereā€™s only a finite amount reading the game and making sure passing lanes are shut off can do.

Once a forward has the ball on the run - he has the upper hand because the defender is reacting.

The great ones make the forward react to them - but thatā€™s as much by reputation built up over time as any individual action they take.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1898: Feb 07, 2019 12:45:03 pm
      I think I am starting to understand the moaners now. Basically because we haven't  been playing like the Harlem Globetrotters these past few games its spoilt there entertainment and they must be entertained or someone has to pay.
      Liverpool supporters used to be called the most educated supporters in football I think the entrance exam has been made a lot easier than it used to be.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1899: Feb 07, 2019 12:57:05 pm
      I think I am starting to understand the moaners now. Basically because we haven't  been playing like the Harlem Globetrotters these past few games its spoilt there entertainment and they must be entertained or someone has to pay.
      Liverpool supporters used to be called the most educated supporters in football I think the entrance exam has been made a lot easier than it used to be.

I think it's more than that.
      What I see here is echo'd across social media, where the name of the game is dick swinging, so when they can't do it, they have a tantrum.
      They're more concerned with winning (what they think is) banter than in us winning games.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1900: Feb 07, 2019 01:23:13 pm
      I agree with this and Spurs really have the same issue. They have managed though to dig out the 1-0s without Alli and Kane.

I'm not sure either club can compete with City for squad depth while they are sponsoring themselves 100s of millions a season.

That's the bigger picture that people need to keep sight of.
      Beating City would be phenomenal.
      Being toe to toe with them is something to enjoy.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #1901: Feb 07, 2019 01:43:13 pm
      Hopefully fingers crossed we can get a few back for Sat and start moving the ball a bit quicker too slow and lateral lately. Hopefully chelski can kick lumps out of city who despite the amount of games per week are seemingly no one even picking up a knock. Closing down quick and playing at a high tempo I think we win sat though Bournemouth are no mugs.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #1902: Feb 07, 2019 01:50:29 pm

That's the bigger picture that people need to keep sight of.
      Beating City would be phenomenal.
      Being toe to toe with them is something to enjoy.

In fairness we canā€™t complain about our ability to grind out results.

Agree though that the difference is resources is vast. It canā€™t not be with the financial doping.

It ISNT insurmountable though.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1903: Feb 07, 2019 02:56:08 pm
      Jeez, level on points, game in hand & the most financially fooled team in the PL went ahead of us on goal difference...

Problems..sure

Pep & Co looked stressed & fatigued b6 this run in..they will fall again..

Hell yes they will Shabs. And you could argue that if we can get a couple hard fought wins, we will get our injured players back (including the Ox) just at the right time to make a go of this thing.

I will say, what I wouldnā€™t give to still have Klavan on the bench. Hardcore mentioned it and heā€™s right, I think he and Virgil would be fine together till Joe gets back.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1904: Feb 07, 2019 03:15:01 pm
      In fairness we canā€™t complain about our ability to grind out results.

Agree though that the difference is resources is vast. It canā€™t not be with the financial doping.

It ISNT insurmountable though.

Easier to grind out results when you haven't lost 2 of your best defenders in the same period.
      "But Spurs lost Kane and Alli". Liverpool have lost Ox, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Gomez, TAA, Lovren.
      There is no comparison.
      That aside I'd rather enjoy being in the mix with one of the most financially doped teams in history.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1905: Feb 07, 2019 03:16:05 pm
      Hell yes they will Shabs. And you could argue that if we can get a couple hard fought wins, we will get our injured players back (including the Ox) just at the right time to make a go of this thing.

I will say, what I wouldnā€™t give to still have Klavan on the bench. Hardcore mentioned it and heā€™s right, I think he and Virgil would be fine together till Joe gets back.

Lord Klavan May I add 😁 hindsight is a great thing, if Jo was still fully fit & Trent I donā€™t think we would be in this position, I think we would still be 7 ahead,a point tally I honestly believe we will restore..

Timing and extent of injuries have been sh*te but we came through Xmas looking good and no reason to dip into the market ( Fekir) however as you say with players returning at the right moment we will be fine..

A blip is all it is.. Ox will fix it 😎
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #1906: Feb 07, 2019 03:20:54 pm
      Easier to grind out results when you haven't lost 2 of your best defenders in the same period.
      "But Spurs lost Kane and Alli". Liverpool have lost Ox, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Gomez, TAA, Lovren.
      There is no comparison.
      That aside I'd rather enjoy being in the mix with one of the most financially doped teams in history.

No doubt Racer.

My real point was only agreeing that we should enjoy and more importantly trust this squad (as they return) and manager.

Theyā€™ve done nothing to give us anything but belief since August - assuming oneā€™s emotions arenā€™t based on last 30 seconds 🤣
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1907: Feb 07, 2019 03:22:23 pm
      That here is crucial. Every single one is, even the very best ones. A lot of people don't realise that they have their expectations all wrong regarding certain positions. As an example, the other day someone in this forum said that all midfielders should have a 15 goals target at the start of the season - despite the fact that only one man in the past 25 years ever scored that many goals from midfield for us. And the same goes for the fullback position; the standards they're held to is often unrealistic high. They need to be so complete in both sides of the pitch, and somehow always stop players that are faster and running towards them. It's impossible to deal with that completely every time, so every single one is vulnerable to that sort of play.

I still reckon Clyne is a better DEFENDER than Milner, does that mean he would have stopped Zaha, not sure, probably not, but he may have been able to push Palace back a bit more as he is quicker and with younger legs. In any case selling Clyne was a mistake, there is no sugar coating that, it was a foolish move from Klopp and I'm sure if you asked him in private he'd admit that now. Anyway hopefully Tent is back now for the rest of the season so it becomes a non issue.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1908: Feb 07, 2019 03:25:17 pm

I find it funny how people look back at past players with rose tinted glasses, I bet all of you were cursing Klavan at various points whilst he was here. Klavan was an ok defender but Matip and Lovren are both better and by quite a margin as well. I'm hoping we get Lovren back fit and well until we get Joe, that should give a lot more stability to the defence again as Matip doesn't seem to quite fit in in the same way.

Quick Reply