Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

We are top of the league!

Read 422949 times
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Re: We are top of the league!
      Reply #3059: Nov 02, 2019 05:46:06 pm
      I don't want to jinx this, but City are capable of winning all their remaining games (as are we). In which case, the 6 points difference will come down to the two games against them. I'd prefer the lads approach this as another 3 points to aim for rather than a psychological blow to the main opponents. I'm liking our methodical, ruthless and emotionless approach to games this season. Spurs was a good example, we never changed game plan and went for the points. That's how I want to approach City games.

What a cracking position to be in though right lad?

Ok I’ll make sure to disappear next week. Hopefully it’s a good omen. I should do my part. ;D
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3060: Nov 02, 2019 08:46:04 pm
      Pep is not as worried about the 6 point gap as we would be.He thinks our luck (as he sees it) will run out eventually. We have had several close calls, today being the latest. But I believe we are stronger than them defensively but that won't win us the league.

For sure we need Salah back fully fit and back to somewhere near his best form. We need more goals from midfield. We don't have a predatory striker but we need Bobby to score more. No use anybody jumping on me as we can't keep going down to the wire.

Pep knows that as well.And he won't be upset at getting a point at Anfield. The battle will intensify for sure. We are ready for it, whether we have enough strength in depth to keep on winning remains to be seen. It's still to close to call.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #3061: Nov 02, 2019 10:02:05 pm
      Pep is not as worried about the 6 point gap as we would be.He thinks our luck (as he sees it) will run out eventually. We have had several close calls, today being the latest. But I believe we are stronger than them defensively but that won't win us the league.

For sure we need Salah back fully fit and back to somewhere near his best form. We need more goals from midfield. We don't have a predatory striker but we need Bobby to score more. No use anybody jumping on me as we can't keep going down to the wire.

Pep knows that as well.And he won't be upset at getting a point at Anfield. The battle will intensify for sure. We are ready for it, whether we have enough strength in depth to keep on winning remains to be seen. It's still to close to call.

Bobby can’t really help it when they take goals away from him for no good reason.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3062: Nov 03, 2019 12:14:39 am
      Pep with a pop after the game today on MoTD  :f_whistle:
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #3063: Nov 03, 2019 01:07:20 am
      Bobby can’t really help it when they take goals away from him for no good reason.

Sorry to call you out on this, but as far as I could tell Bobby was just marginally offside.  The difference between his rightfully disallowed goal and Trezeguet's rightfully allowed goal may have been a few millimeters, but in this case I think VAR got both calls right.  Fortunately, we still won anyway!!!  😎
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #3064: Nov 03, 2019 05:38:59 am
      Pep with a pop after the game today on MoTD  :f_whistle:

What’s he had to say?

Hopefully spank them next week, another Ox winner!!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3065: Nov 03, 2019 08:00:45 am
      What’s he had to say?

Hopefully spank them next week, another Ox winner!!

Having a dig at Mane, calling Mane a diver..,

Living rent free in Pep’s head..
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #3066: Nov 03, 2019 08:52:47 am
      I think we will beat city as long as we play the system we know they can’t cope with. Full on press, high tempo start to finish.
      If we draw, nothing changes, still a six point gap. That’s why I think pep will have to go all out for the win. That will open up the game just as it suits us.
      Last season it seamed both sides went out not to lose and was s very cautious game. If we go out like that again, a draw is on the cards. That is more damage to them than us.
      I’d rather smash them with our heavy metal football first half. 3 goal lead and back to our current tactics which have served us well up to now.
      Haven’t seen much of the high press lately. City F***ing hate it !
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #3067: Nov 03, 2019 08:53:42 am
      Having a dig at Mane, calling Mane a diver..,

Living rent free in Pep’s head..

Afraid of losing a pen. Managing Atkinson and co ahead of time. So fearful.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3068: Nov 03, 2019 10:21:00 am

I 100% agree with Pep, our luck can't last forever and it won't, but then again our current poor finishing and sloppy level of play won't last forever either, sooner or later we will really start to click into gear and win games comfortably again, hopefully next week against Citeh!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #3069: Nov 03, 2019 12:06:28 pm
      We need luck to win games! Pep if you want I will buy you a lollipop :P
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #3070: Nov 03, 2019 12:13:36 pm
      What F***ing luck?

You don't get lucky every single game. You don't score last minute winners on a regular basis down to luck. You do through perseverance, ability, quality, desire and a never give up attitude. It shows that we keep going right until the last kick of the game and we get our just rewards.

10 wins and a draw (from a goal that never should of stood) from 11 games is not luck. It's F***ing boss!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3071: Nov 03, 2019 12:24:47 pm
      What f**king luck?

You don't get lucky every single game. You don't score last minute winners on a regular basis down to luck. You do through perseverance, ability, quality, desire and a never give up attitude. It shows that we keep going right until the last kick of the game and we get our just rewards.

10 wins and a draw (from a goal that never should of stood) from 11 games is not luck. It's f**king boss!

Perhaps luck is the wrong word, but we are scrambling over the line a bit to much recently, I want to get back to winning with ease and converting our chances much much better, we have been very sloppy lately.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3072: Nov 03, 2019 12:53:48 pm
      Pep is trying to prep the Ref. by saying we dive. It was one of Fergies sly tricks.Prep the Ref to look at individual players. Hope the Ref doesn't take the bait. The Premier League should be stricter on this type of stuff.

On second thoughts may be the Boss should call them financial fiddlers. But he won't take the bait either. Plus he's a class act and doesn't stoop to this kind of sculduggery

https://talksport.com/football/600278/man-city-ffp-financial-fair-play-punishment/

« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2019 01:03:13 pm by Harrisimo »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #3073: Nov 03, 2019 01:32:25 pm
      Perhaps luck is the wrong word, but we are scrambling over the line a bit to much recently, I want to get back to winning with ease and converting our chances much much better, we have been very sloppy lately.

F**k all wrong in scrambling over the line mate, it's what Champions do, from absolute batterings to Scrambling over the line, it matters not a f***in jot, winning is what counts,  retaining that winning mentality, and confidence of feeling unbeatable, 
      Good old f***in Pep resorting to Ferguson style tactics means he's f***in worried,  he knows in his mind we're better than his lot, he knows anything other than 3 points next week they'll be ex f***in Champions,

Guess who's under more pressure,  give ye a wee clue, it's not the fella with the shiny teeth and thunderous laugh, the normal one who builds champions rather than buying them, the one who doesn't resort to mind games in a attempt to unsettle a opponent or parts thereof.

Only one I see scrambling is Senor Guardiola, he's scrambling his brain trying to find a solution to stop his nemesis, the Mentality Monsters!!

YNWA
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3074: Nov 03, 2019 02:35:35 pm
      F**k all wrong in scrambling over the line mate, it's what Champions do, from absolute batterings to Scrambling over the line, it matters not a f***in jot, winning is what counts,  retaining that winning mentality, and confidence of feeling unbeatable, 
      Good old f***in Pep resorting to Ferguson style tactics means he's f***in worried,  he knows in his mind we're better than his lot, he knows anything other than 3 points next week they'll be ex f***in Champions,

Guess who's under more pressure,  give ye a wee clue, it's not the fella with the shiny teeth and thunderous laugh, the normal one who builds champions rather than buying them, the one who doesn't resort to mind games in a attempt to unsettle a opponent or parts thereof.

Only one I see scrambling is Senor Guardiola, he's scrambling his brain trying to find a solution to stop his nemesis, the Mentality Monsters!!

YNWA

Great post.

If we want only lopsided, comfortable wins, we can withdraw from the most competitive league in the world and find something in say, the 7th Division of the English football pyramid and the northern Premier League. I reckon we could throttle the likes of Banner Bridge and Morpeth Town on a regular basis. It won't have 1/10 of the meaning, but will spare us the indignity of close and hard-fought wins.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3075: Nov 03, 2019 02:40:23 pm
      By the way, this week to next we cross just the 30% threshold of the season. First week of November. SUCH a long way to go.

Stay steady, Reds.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3076: Nov 03, 2019 03:28:50 pm
      As well as may be TAA holding his position a bit more, to thwart Raheem (MADE in Liverpool) Sterling, we'll have to bag off that bleedin' De Bruyne, closest thing to Gerrard in terms of vision.

Suppose man marking him isn't on, but we better not give him time on the ball for sure. He is one of the reasons I think,if Mo doesn't make it we should bulk up the midfield with Fab,hendo,Gini and Milner. Milner can still attack down the right ahead of TAA.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #3077: Nov 03, 2019 05:42:53 pm
      Put 4 in the middle, and let Hendo track Debruyne all game. Them city players don't like the close attention. We've proved that with the gengen press in the past. Debruyne is at his best when he can stroll around looking for those little pockets of space. Its not often one touch though. He usually wants two or three before he picks his pass. Top quality, but may not be, with someone at his ankles all game.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3078: Nov 03, 2019 06:12:45 pm
      VAR balls up again.Dele Alli....hand waving above his head, totally unnatural position, arm clearly goes toward the ball...and VAR say no.That gives all defenders in tight aerial duels license to go up with your arms in the air.

Bad contact by Son and gets a red. Looks like a broken leg for Andrea Gomez.Hope it's not a bad  break. Speedy recovery.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #3079: Nov 03, 2019 07:34:50 pm
      Perhaps luck is the wrong word, but we are scrambling over the line a bit to much recently

United made a habit of it whilst reeling off title after title.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #3080: Nov 03, 2019 07:57:28 pm
      United made a habit of it whilst reeling off title after title.

You see why winning in style is very important to some people? While we won it, I bet no nonsense fans would be upset that we performed poorly. I cannot call them out or insult them, so sometimes I just say I'd be sulking in the corner because the whole team performed poorly despite bringing home three points.

I learned that it's all about the result, who cares how we do it. Just like Divock, he only has a great sense of positioning and puts the balls in. It's all that matters. Get the win. But there are always those who want to win in style. For their insecurity, comfort, comparing with city or whatever reason, all of which I do not understand. Which is why I'm dumb and they're very intelligent fans.

Who cares? We're top of the league. Just enjoy the ride!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #3081: Nov 03, 2019 11:55:18 pm
      You see why winning in style is very important to some people? While we won it, I bet no nonsense fans would be upset that we performed poorly. I cannot call them out or insult them, so sometimes I just say I'd be sulking in the corner because the whole team performed poorly despite bringing home three points.

I learned that it's all about the result, who cares how we do it. Just like Divock, he only has a great sense of positioning and puts the balls in. It's all that matters. Get the win. But there are always those who want to win in style. For their insecurity, comfort, comparing with city or whatever reason, all of which I do not understand. Which is why I'm dumb and they're very intelligent fans.

Who cares? We're top of the league. Just enjoy the ride!

We'd all like to win in style. I know my F***ing heart would appreciate it at least. These last minute winners are gonna do me in one of these days that I end up keeling over and don't get to see us win the League anyway. But yeah, we'd all like to win in style. And sometimes, winning in style isn't actually twatting teams 5-0 every week. You can play exceptionally well and still only manage a one nil win or sometimes not even that. Look at the amount of times we've wiped the floor with United only for De Gea to be man of the match. And I think sometimes that's lost on people. Just because we're getting last minute winners people think we're not playing that well.

But this trait was apparent for all of last season as well. A season where we pushed the all conquering City right to the edge, a season that saw us win the European Cup (again!), a season where almost every player to a man was lauded for being outstanding. These last minute goals were just as frequent then as they are now. So where we not winning with style then as well and where we just lucky then?

And as you quite rightly say all that matters is the result. It's three points for a win whether that win be nine nil like Leicester achieved or a last gasp winner like we got against Villa. And I can guarantee you that every other club in the country would swap their "stylish" performances for ours right now because ours are what is sitting top of the table.

Our "style" is never give up. And F**k me it's working.

People talk about the pressing and the quality of players being what separates Klopp from Rodgers but for me it's the attitude he's installed into the players. In the nearly season under Rodgers, we scored 15 goals in the last 15 minutes of matches in all comps. In Klopp's full seasons there's been 12 goals (16/17), 26 goals (17/18), 33 goals (18/19) and 9 already this campaign in the last 15 minutes of matches. That's not luck. That is a style of play. That is a style of play that says you fight until the last F***ing whistle of the match. And it's working wonders so far.

Quick Reply