Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

We are top of the league!

Read 423049 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: We are top of the league!
      Reply #3082: Nov 04, 2019 12:16:00 am
      We'd all like to win in style. I know my f**king heart would appreciate it at least. These last minute winners are gonna do me in one of these days that I end up keeling over and don't get to see us win the League anyway. But yeah, we'd all like to win in style. And sometimes, winning in style isn't actually twatting teams 5-0 every week. You can play exceptionally well and still only manage a one nil win or sometimes not even that. Look at the amount of times we've wiped the floor with United only for De Gea to be man of the match. And I think sometimes that's lost on people. Just because we're getting last minute winners people think we're not playing that well.

But this trait was apparent for all of last season as well. A season where we pushed the all conquering City right to the edge, a season that saw us win the European Cup (again!), a season where almost every player to a man was lauded for being outstanding. These last minute goals were just as frequent then as they are now. So where we not winning with style then as well and where we just lucky then?

And as you quite rightly say all that matters is the result. It's three points for a win whether that win be nine nil like Leicester achieved or a last gasp winner like we got against Villa. And I can guarantee you that every other club in the country would swap their "stylish" performances for ours right now because ours are what is sitting top of the table.

Our "style" is never give up. And f**k me it's working.

People talk about the pressing and the quality of players being what separates Klopp from Rodgers but for me it's the attitude he's installed into the players. In the nearly season under Rodgers, we scored 15 goals in the last 15 minutes of matches in all comps. In Klopp's full seasons there's been 12 goals (16/17), 26 goals (17/18), 33 goals (18/19) and 9 already this campaign in the last 15 minutes of matches. That's not luck. That is a style of play. That is a style of play that says you fight until the last f**king whistle of the match. And it's working wonders so far.

Outstanding post. As you know, the club's best teams of all time still had their share of nailbiter results (and even dropped points now and then). The tenacity of the competition is part of what makes it such a great accomplishment to win.

One other thing about the late goals. Attitude yes, but also the high degree of fitness Jürgen and staff build with this team in preseason. We see them playing some of those friendlies and looking shattered, but there's a reason for it and the way we keep going until the final whistle all through the season, is the reason. Details matter and our leadership pay close attention.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #3083: Nov 04, 2019 08:41:51 pm
      Quote from ruthcity
      You see why winning in style is very important to some people? While we won it, I bet no nonsense fans would be upset that we performed poorly. I cannot call them out or insult them, so sometimes I just say I'd be sulking in the corner because the whole team performed poorly despite bringing home three points.

I learned that it's all about the result, who cares how we do it. Just like Divock, he only has a great sense of positioning and puts the balls in. It's all that matters. Get the win. But there are always those who want to win in style. For their insecurity, comfort, comparing with city or whatever reason, all of which I do not understand. Which is why I'm dumb and they're very intelligent fans.

Who cares? We're top of the league. Just enjoy the ride!

In the last 3 games, we've had 60 shots approx. And that's "not playing well" apparently.

This period since Napoli away was always going to be difficult, but things haven't worked out too badly.

Anyone who watches German sides, knows that if they're not ahead at half time, or even after 60 minutes, it's not a problem, and there's no pressing the panic button. We're not a German side but Jürgen is. So if we stick to what we're doing, eventually the opposition will crack. And in the last 7 games we've played in all competitions, they have. There's 90 minutes to win a game, and it doesn't matter when it goes in, as long as it does.

After we deal with City, there's a load of bankers where we should be able to boost up the goal difference. People say December is mad, but it's never any different. It's always the busiest time of the season. This December, we can become officially the best team in the world, consolidate our advantage at the top of the table, and hopefully build on it, with a game in hand by Christmas. It's something we should look forward to. Anyone who isn't, will be bricking it by the time we have to face Arsenal and Chelsea in the last 3 games.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #3084: Nov 04, 2019 09:59:04 pm
      In the last 3 games, we've had 60 shots approx. And that's "not playing well" apparently.

This period since Napoli away was always going to be difficult, but things haven't worked out too badly.

Anyone who watches German sides, knows that if they're not ahead at half time, or even after 60 minutes, it's not a problem, and there's no pressing the panic button. We're not a German side but Jürgen is. So if we stick to what we're doing, eventually the opposition will crack. And in the last 7 games we've played in all competitions, they have. There's 90 minutes to win a game, and it doesn't matter when it goes in, as long as it does.

After we deal with City, there's a load of bankers where we should be able to boost up the goal difference. People say December is mad, but it's never any different. It's always the busiest time of the season. This December, we can become officially the best team in the world, consolidate our advantage at the top of the table, and hopefully build on it, with a game in hand by Christmas. It's something we should look forward to. Anyone who isn't, will be bricking it by the time we have to face Arsenal and Chelsea in the last 3 games.

next game is how it is mate, thats all we can look at
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3085: Nov 04, 2019 10:13:00 pm
      Let's make it a 9 point gap on Sunday!!!!
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3086: Nov 06, 2019 08:25:19 pm
      Put 4 in the middle, and let Hendo track Debruyne all game. Them city players don't like the close attention. We've proved that with the gengen press in the past. Debruyne is at his best when he can stroll around looking for those little pockets of space. Its not often one touch though. He usually wants two or three before he picks his pass. Top quality, but may not be, with someone at his ankles all game.

Can't see us man marking him. Have to smuggle Joe Allen out there..! Think today's coaches think it's a bit counter productive. High press accros the team, pressure on the ball.Choke the game. Control possession.Mark and control space rather than man mark. De bruyne has to be pressed as much as the rest.Dangerman for sure.High tempo and high energy to limit their fantastic passing game.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #3087: Nov 07, 2019 03:24:08 pm
      The easiest way to stop City is to concentrate on ourselves and let those cu*ts worry about us.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #3088: Nov 07, 2019 07:41:53 pm
      The easiest way to stop City is to concentrate on ourselves and let those cu*ts worry about us.

Like that ballbag Pep has been for the last 2 years.

If we want to win the title, winning this is critical. A draw keeps it alive, a 9 point lead is hard to recover and might just be the buffer we need with our fixture pile up.

Their squad depth is far superior to ours and I worry about going deep into this season if our legs will last. The margin for error is so small these days, win this and we take a big step imo.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3089: Nov 07, 2019 09:28:45 pm
      At what point of the season last year did we have our biggest lead in the table?

Wasn't it 7 points a full two months after this point in the season?

Would love a win Sunday, but a win wraps nothing up.

« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2019 09:33:00 pm by Robby The Z »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3090: Nov 08, 2019 12:34:19 am
      At what point of the season last year did we have our biggest lead in the table?

Wasn't it 7 points a full two months after this point in the season?

Would love a win Sunday, but a win wraps nothing up.

Around December I think, then we had the chance to go 10 ahead but they beat us so it dropped to 4. But then Newcastle beat them and I think we won to go 7 ahead again but from that point on they smashed everyone in front of them whilst we were picking up draws left, right and centre.

I’d say anything but a defeat would be a good result for us but we would have thought that last season and it’s ultimately what cost us because they took 4 points off us. For us to go that step further this season, I think we have to take a minimum of 3 points from them this time around because I can’t see them dropping too many more points, especially when they get Laporte and Sane back and whether we like it or not, a time will come this season where we drop some points over a few games, unrealistic to assume we will finish the season with 37 wins and draw.
      « Last Edit: Nov 08, 2019 12:38:40 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3091: Nov 08, 2019 09:23:07 am
      Around December I think, then we had the chance to go 10 ahead but they beat us so it dropped to 4. But then Newcastle beat them and I think we won to go 7 ahead again but from that point on they smashed everyone in front of them whilst we were picking up draws left, right and centre.

I’d say anything but a defeat would be a good result for us but we would have thought that last season and it’s ultimately what cost us because they took 4 points off us. For us to go that step further this season, I think we have to take a minimum of 3 points from them this time around because I can’t see them dropping too many more points, especially when they get Laporte and Sane back and whether we like it or not, a time will come this season where we drop some points over a few games, unrealistic to assume we will finish the season with 37 wins and draw.

Nearly correct, we were 7 points ahead when we faced them early January, they won that match to take it to 4, then they lost at Newcastle and we drew with Leicester to take it to 5, then we had more draws than them in the run in, Everton, West Ham and Manure,  so that they had a 1 point lead all the way in, with them winning 14 games on the bounce to our 9 games which is just insane.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #3092: Nov 08, 2019 09:53:15 am
      Whilst a win would be brilliant, a draw would be certainly acceptable. It is up to City to go for a win, which we are more than capable of exploiting. A win for us on Sunday would leave a massive 9 point lead at the top of the table.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3093: Nov 08, 2019 09:56:29 am
      Whilst a win would be brilliant, a draw would be certainly acceptable. It is up to City to go for a win, which we are more than capable of exploiting. A win for us on Sunday would leave a massive 9 point lead at the top of the table.

A win would put is in an incredibly strong position to win the league, not so much because of points but because it would be a big psychological hit for Citeh and Pep, and would push them down amongst Chelsea and Leicester
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3094: Nov 08, 2019 03:56:46 pm
      Nearly correct, we were 7 points ahead when we faced them early January, they won that match to take it to 4, then they lost at Newcastle and we drew with Leicester to take it to 5, then we had more draws than them in the run in, Everton, West Ham and Manure,  so that they had a 1 point lead all the way in, with them winning 14 games on the bounce to our 9 games which is just insane.

Yeah, I thought we were up 7 points in early January (two months from this point of the season).
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3095: Nov 09, 2019 03:59:30 pm
      Chelsea on the up and up, going second and if Leicester City win tonight and we win..that pushes City to 4th.....!

But regardless been very impressed by Frank Lampard. Did well at Derby and OK Chelsea swop managers every couple of seasons, but Lampard is up and running and looks the part..so far
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #3096: Nov 09, 2019 04:42:12 pm
      I think Jürgen will have the lads fired up and go all out for the win, they are missing too many key players so we need to grasp the nettle before they get back to full strength,  they still have a formidable side to field but having lost their keeper as well as La Port, and possibly Silva is a massive blow for them,

Pep trying to butter up Brava as a able replacement is folly,  the fella hasn't played much this season and just won't provide the same confidence for that make-shift back 4,
      Although it won't be as gung ho as some would like I still think we will get at them from the off and pile the pressure on, and if they crack early we could have a very nice afternoon indeed,

If we play as we did at home last season we'd play into their hands imo, a City fan would snatch yer hand off if offered a draw right now,  but we ain't that generous,  for me a win and a 9 point lead over them is a huge psychological boost, and of course it isn't over by any stretch ,however the pressure on them to catch us without dropping further points will be immense,  just as long as we keep doing what we're doing, winning ugly, winning late, it won't matter in the end ,

Massive massive game tomorrow,  probably our biggest test to date, but we go into it better equipped, full of confidence with a home crowd backing the lads full on, what can possibly go wrong?

3-1 Champions Elect

YNWA
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3097: Nov 09, 2019 11:47:58 pm
      Get the 3 points to go 9 points clear....International break then Chelsea make it 7 on the bounce when they play Citeh whilst we go to Palace and go 12 points clear!!!!

Commmeeonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #3098: Nov 10, 2019 07:22:09 pm
      Looks like our main competition now is LC.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #3099: Nov 10, 2019 09:51:58 pm
      Even more impressive to think that of the 12 we've played already beaten City, Spurs, Chelsea, Leicester, Arsenal and drawn away at toilet. City got some huge games coming up with Chelsea, Arsenal and manc derby in the next month. 
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3100: Nov 10, 2019 10:01:06 pm
      Even more impressive to think that of the 12 we've played already beaten City, Spurs, Chelsea, Leicester, Arsenal and drawn away at toilet. City got some huge games coming up with Chelsea, Arsenal and manc derby in the next month. 

Absolutely. It's so important to remember as well we've taken the maximum 9 points from the three teams behind us. That away win at Chelsea underlining the expertise of this Liverpool team.
      Benladdie3000
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts | 19 
      Reply #3101: Nov 10, 2019 10:01:12 pm
      Get the 3 points to go 9 points clear....International break then Chelsea make it 7 on the bounce when they play Citeh whilst we go to Palace and go 12 points clear!!!!

We can only go a max 11 clear. Leicester are 8 behind us

Commmeeonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #3102: Nov 10, 2019 10:01:20 pm
      That's our biggest rivals fallen by the wayside, who's next?
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3103: Nov 10, 2019 10:04:13 pm
      That's our biggest rivals fallen by the wayside, who's next?

Crystal Palace :)  great 3 points, need to keep churning out them out...
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #3104: Nov 10, 2019 10:36:40 pm
      Only going to extend the lead now. When you hear all the ex pros and dickhead managers who always doubt us or hate us saying we’re the best just confirms it for me. We are going to F***ing do it this year!

Quick Reply