Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

We are top of the league!

Read 426544 times
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Re: We are top of the league!
      Reply #3519: Jan 16, 2020 04:22:47 pm
      Won't be like when I was a kid, Hanson leading the team onto the pitch in 88 against Southampton lining up alongside the trophy and then the game kicked off and that was it!! :laugh:

Haha, normal service back then though. Titles & trophies on a constant convener belt. Bet no one believed we'd go 30 years without winning one back then!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,681 posts | 3702 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #3520: Jan 16, 2020 04:29:34 pm
       :lmao:

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,007 posts | 3352 
      Reply #3521: Jan 16, 2020 04:30:10 pm
      Definitely. I think there could be potentially 3 big nights - 1 on the day we mathematically win it (which could be around April), 1 on the day we actually lift the title (Chelsea) & of course one on the day of the parade.

I'm not sure it'll be Chelsea that we lift it.

As things stand, we're 14 ahead with a game in hand to move 17. We play City on the 4th April which (as things stand) would see us go 20 points clear with a win with only 18 left to play. We could effectively pick it up there from the previous owners.

We're then at home the following game against Villa, our last game before the Hillsborough anniversary as well, which may be the game we actually get our hands on it. We'll parade it around at Anfield after the Chelsea game, as it's our final home game of the season but after thirty years I'm sure we'll want to get our hands on it as soon as possible.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #3522: Jan 16, 2020 04:37:37 pm
      I'm not sure it'll be Chelsea that we lift it.

As things stand, we're 14 ahead with a game in hand to move 17. We play City on the 4th April which (as things stand) would see us go 20 points clear with a win with only 18 left to play. We could effectively pick it up there from the previous owners.

We're then at home the following game against Villa, our last game before the Hillsborough anniversary as well, which may be the game we actually get our hands on it. We'll parade it around at Anfield after the Chelsea game, as it's our final home game of the season but after thirty years I'm sure we'll want to get our hands on it as soon as possible.

I always thought it was lifted at the last home game of the season

But f**king hell, I sort of half want us to drop a couple of points now - Imagine clinching it on that Villa game. I'm presuming that would be the day with the mosaic as it's only 4 days before the anniversary?

What a f**king tribute that would be. Liverbird Upon My Chest pumping out of the ground. Nearly welling up in work here just thinking about it
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,007 posts | 3352 
      Reply #3523: Jan 16, 2020 04:49:11 pm
      I always thought it was lifted at the last home game of the season

But f**king hell, I sort of half want us to drop a couple of points now - Imagine clinching it on that Villa game. I'm presuming that would be the day with the mosaic as it's only 4 days before the anniversary?

What a f**king tribute that would be. Liverbird Upon My Chest pumping out of the ground. Nearly welling up in work here just thinking about it

It normally is the final home game because it usually goes that far into the season before it's mathematically sewn up but because we could have it wrapped it up much earlier, I expect some sort of presentation earlier on.

I could be totally wrong, of course, and it could be the Chelsea game.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #3524: Jan 16, 2020 05:00:14 pm
      It normally is the final home game because it usually goes that far into the season before it's mathematically sewn up but because we could have it wrapped it up much earlier, I expect some sort of presentation earlier on.

I could be totally wrong, of course, and it could be the Chelsea game.

Just looking through when Man City walked it a couple of years ago & apparently they lifted it against Huddersfield on 06/05 (Sunday) which was their 2nd to last home game. They played Brighton at the Etihad on the following Wednesday (09/05) - maybe the PL decided they wanted it on a sunday due to TV scheduling & more viewers on a weekend
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1478 
      Reply #3525: Jan 17, 2020 09:38:14 am
      Magical 96 point target to win it. 35 more points. 11 wins and two draws will do. Counting down.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3526: Jan 17, 2020 03:44:18 pm
      Magical 96 point target to win it. 35 more points. 11 wins and two draws will do. Counting down.

Wouldn't expect City to drop points at home vs. Palace, and they will probably be hoping we will drop points to United....but you know we won't.

Then the number will be 32.

This is the season.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3527: Jan 18, 2020 02:17:37 pm
      lets just beat UTD tick another one off then the Parades can take care of themselves

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/jan/17/alan-kennedy-likens-klopps-side-to-his-liverpool-1978-84

Good article from Alan Kennedy comparing this year's team to those he played on, especially circa 1980-81-82. He sees a lot of comparisons and draws some contrasts. Not surprisingly he's a fan.

Walt - do you remember where you were when Alan scored the winner vs. Real Madrid?
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #3528: Jan 18, 2020 02:49:26 pm
      https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/jan/17/alan-kennedy-likens-klopps-side-to-his-liverpool-1978-84

Good article from Alan Kennedy comparing this year's team to those he played on, especially circa 1980-81-82. He sees a lot of comparisons and draws some contrasts. Not surprisingly he's a fan.

Walt - do you remember where you were when Alan scored the winner vs. Real Madrid?

Funny anecdote about Kennedy - his son lives in the same apartment block as me!

Was having a few drinks in mine once with my mates, we were running out at this point so I decided I'd shoot down the off license and pick some more cans up

Anyway as I'm stumbling out of the lobby bit Alan Kennedy walks in! Pulled him aside and started talking about the reds for a good five minutes as you do, absolutely lovely fella. This must have only been a couple of weeks before the CL final last season because I saw it as an omen & decided to put a £50 bet on Andy Robbo to score anytime a few days later

Didn't come in of course but as you can imagine I wasn't bothered in the slightest at the end result!

Always have my eyes peeled now whenever I'm leaving / entering the building in case I see him again ;)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,146 posts | 8540 
      Reply #3529: Jan 18, 2020 02:55:08 pm

About three years old kipping under the TV at Pwllheli Butlins with my dad and his footy team.

Only recently heard some of the Shenanigans that went on while I was akip!!
      LFC007
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 102 posts | 17 
      Reply #3530: Jan 18, 2020 06:00:20 pm
      We win tomorrow and the title is ours, practically. City is not the City from two years ago.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,146 posts | 8540 
      Reply #3531: Jan 18, 2020 06:19:09 pm
      I think it only fair that these shenanigans be shared with the group mate.

Unless it's 'what happens in Pwllheli stays in Pwllheli', then fairy muff. 😉

Two particular scouse pychopaths who played centre back scrapping with half the welsh security lads. According to my dad these lads were the original Crocky crew!!

I was three and sleeping soundly :laugh:
      Benladdie3000
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts | 19 
      Reply #3532: Jan 18, 2020 06:21:23 pm
      Two particular scouse pychopaths who played centre backs scrapping with half the welsh security lads.

I was three and sleeping soundly :laugh:

Reminds me of my childhood ;D. The FA cup final in 01 when owen rescued us, we had approx 30k reds there and there was one arrest that day....... My old man. Nutter.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,286 posts | 763 
      Reply #3533: Jan 18, 2020 06:28:41 pm
      We are top of the league ! Hurrah !
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3534: Jan 18, 2020 06:36:39 pm
      We are top of the league ! Hurrah !

Have been all season.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #3535: Jan 18, 2020 06:48:50 pm
      Champions
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #3536: Jan 18, 2020 06:57:41 pm
      Are we allowed to dream & talk about the title yet or have we still got to "focus on the next game" ?

Because F**k that I'll be putting the flags up tomorrow straight after we tw*t these inbred bas**rds 5-0!
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,345 posts | 1620 
      Reply #3537: Jan 18, 2020 07:10:32 pm
      Are we allowed to dream & talk about the title yet or have we still got to "focus on the next game" ?

Because F**k that I'll be putting the flags up tomorrow straight after we tw*t these inbred bas**rds 5-0!
      Well I’m off for a celebratory drink been as I got let down with my ticket for tomorrow it’s ours mate , as JD pointed out it’s 11 from17.
      Nailed on
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #3538: Jan 18, 2020 07:29:19 pm
      Well I’m off for a celebratory drink been as I got let down with my ticket for tomorrow it’s ours mate , as JD pointed out it’s 11 from17.
      Nailed on

Sorry to hear about the ticket mate, nothing worse!

But it certainly is - Supposed to be off the ale for a bit but i'll be certainly having few to watch us tw*t these crabs tomorrow! :food-smiley-005:
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3539: Jan 18, 2020 07:39:34 pm
      Not new this weekend but it really is astounding when you take stock of our position compared to the other so-called big clubs in the Premier League - relative position heavily reenforced by today's results.

Arsenal draw, Spurs draw, City draw, Chelsea lose.

So we are 13 points ahead of City, 16 ahead of "upstart" Leicester, 21 ahead of Chelsea, 27 ahead of United and Wolves, 30 ahead of Spurs and 32 ahead of Arsenal. This is with two games in hand compared to most of these and one over Leicester and United.

This is just more than halfway through the season. I mean you almost get numb to how badly we are outperforming everybody, and the lead just keeps getting bigger. We are going to have keep self-motivating because our opposition certainly isn't doing it.

Thankfully the team really are a group of mentality monsters.
      « Last Edit: Jan 19, 2020 12:20:33 am by Robby The Z »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3540: Jan 18, 2020 07:39:41 pm

Because f**k that I'll be putting the flags up tomorrow straight after we tw*t these inbred bas**rds 5-0!

I’ll only celebrate on the final game of the season with a 4 point lead at the top..😀
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3541: Jan 18, 2020 07:57:04 pm

Week 1 we were 3rd, but on goal difference.

Quick Reply