Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Pre-match: Blackburn v Liverpool

Read 13023 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,017 posts | 3352 
      Re: Pre-match: Blackburn v Liverpool
      Reply #23: Dec 05, 2008 12:19:14 am
      Blackburn this season are nowhere near the Blackburn of last. They've lost that Sparky Hughes resliance.

In saying that, Ince will have them right up for this one knowing every game from now until Christmas could be the one that saves/loses his job. Still expect a win for the Reds and can't belive Benitez is gonna persist playing Robbie Keane up top on his own. Play Babel, Ngog, Kuyt, Gerrard, F**k it even play Lucas up there just so he has a strike partner. That's when Robbie is at his ultimate best and with Torres out, that's what we need from our number 7 - his best. Few other players need a shake up as well, I'd keep Masch out as he isn't hitting anywhere near his best this year and Riera has gone completely off the boil (something I pointed out about five weeks prior to everybody else seeing it - yes I am saying well done me)

There biggest threat is Santa Cruz and he just doesn't look arsed this year. Moping around so if he plays, he shouldn't be causing us problems if it's the Santa Cruz of this year and not last. Robinson is still a decent keeper and difficult to beat, but he's always liable to make a total balls up in a match and that may well just be the chance we need for the floodgates to open.

Prediction 2-0 and on current form that would be the floodgates being opened.
      KOPMKD
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 129 posts |
      Reply #24: Dec 05, 2008 01:48:37 am
      Only 3 points will be good enough, Blackburn have won one game in their last 8 and that was in the FA or Carling cup.

My formation would be:

Reina

Arby  Carra  Agger  Insua

Alonso  Masch  Gerra
      Babel                                    Riera

Kuyt/Keane
      I definetly wouldn't put Kuyt as a striker,he looked wasted on that position against west ham.The best role for him is a right winger,his most valuable for us both offensively and defensively that way.I prefer Babel on the left instead of Riera(physical strenght and shooting posibilities).Steavi and Robie as atacking partners,they can create something in front i hope.So:
                                             REINA
      ARBELOA             CARRAGHER           AGGER            INSUA

KUYT             ALONSO               MASCERANO          BABEL

GERRARD   

KEANE
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #25: Dec 05, 2008 02:20:18 am
      Blackburn this season are nowhere near the Blackburn of last. They've lost that Sparky Hughes resliance.

In saying that, Ince will have them right up for this one knowing every game from now until Christmas could be the one that saves/loses his job. Still expect a win for the Reds and can't belive Benitez is gonna persist playing Robbie Keane up top on his own. Play Babel, Ngog, Kuyt, Gerrard, F**k it even play Lucas up there just so he has a strike partner. That's when Robbie is at his ultimate best and with Torres out, that's what we need from our number 7 - his best. Few other players need a shake up as well, I'd keep Masch out as he isn't hitting anywhere near his best this year and Riera has gone completely off the boil (something I pointed out about five weeks prior to everybody else seeing it - yes I am saying well done me)

There biggest threat is Santa Cruz and he just doesn't look arsed this year. Moping around so if he plays, he shouldn't be causing us problems if it's the Santa Cruz of this year and not last. Robinson is still a decent keeper and difficult to beat, but he's always liable to make a total balls up in a match and that may well just be the chance we need for the floodgates to open.

Prediction 2-0 and on current form that would be the floodgates being opened.

I dunno, Blackburn put up a hell of a fight at Fratton Park.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #26: Dec 05, 2008 02:37:27 am
      Umm DLS Keane was not alone up front against West Ham he had Kuyt next to him Yossi was on the right!!!!!

We need to win this F***ing game at all costs I dont care if Cavalieri or Rafa himself is playing striker I want a goal and a win.
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #27: Dec 05, 2008 05:59:36 am
      Actually I'd have Nemeth on the bench on Saturday.........love to see what he could do.

MsG I always see you really pushing for Rafa to give Nemeth a go, are you gonna be in the market for an account name change soon?  ;)
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #28: Dec 05, 2008 06:46:42 am
      They just have to get out there, play football and win the game convincingly no matter who they play, ;D. Enough said.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #29: Dec 05, 2008 08:02:58 am
      A MUST win game for us. The last time (last season) starting on 26/12/2007 to 17/01/2008, we have 4 (FOUR) games drawn consecutively.

We can't afford a repeat of that this season. That would kill off our 1st EPL title & a very looooong 19 years wait. We must come back with a win no matter what position we are now. Another draw will be very bad for the manager & our players confidence. We have to leave everything behind, we can't do nothing about the past results. We have to threat this as a cup final game and go full out for the win.

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but anything other than a WIN, we'll have to come back for another season for our title.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #30: Dec 05, 2008 08:26:07 am
      I would like to see Rafa encourage the lads to play football and put everything behind them. No need to think of the ladder, just go out on the pitch with no expectations and play with their hearts.

Reina

Arbeloa          Carragher          Agger         Dossena

Kuyt             Alonso            Masch           Riera

Gerrard

Babel

Cavalieri   Lucas   Benayoun   Keane   Insua   El Zhar   Hyypia

I'll say 1-0, because everytime i say a big win, we struggle. So 1-0 and a Dossena goal.
      freddy
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts |
      Reply #31: Dec 05, 2008 12:03:50 pm
      I'm going with the not-predicting-any-score, my guesses were FAR TOO OFF the mark in the last couple of weeks ... But as to our away form, I'm quite confident.
      We're so going to need the 3 points if we want to have a real shot at 19 this time...
      Here's hoping for a win *fingers crossed*
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #32: Dec 05, 2008 12:14:53 pm

Reina

Arbeloa          Carragher          Agger         Dossena

Kuyt             Alonso            Masch           Riera

Gerrard

Babel

Cavalieri   Lucas   Benayoun   Keane   Insua   El Zhar   Hyypia

I'd go with that too
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #33: Dec 05, 2008 12:16:19 pm
      I'll say 1-0, because everytime I say a big win, we struggle. So 1-0 and a Dossena goal.
      Hmm wonder why people pick the scorers :P the probably of scoring is like 1/13
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,017 posts | 3352 
      Reply #34: Dec 05, 2008 01:25:22 pm
      Umm DLS Keane was not alone up front against West Ham he had Kuyt next to him Yossi was on the right!!!!!

No he didn't. The plan, in theory anyway, was for Kuyt to be up top but when the match kicked off Kuyt was playing as a supporting midfielder. Kuyt did not give Keane the support he needed.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #35: Dec 05, 2008 02:51:34 pm
      Paul Ince has already started to get the cry in stating he has too many players out or injured,that wont stop them from having a go at us,Babel  may get the nod to start but who knows Rafa may go with Kuyt,lets wait and see.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #36: Dec 05, 2008 08:15:17 pm
      if keane plays it will be frigging 0 - 0 again

if babel or kuyt get the nod upfront even together we will win
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #37: Dec 05, 2008 08:35:19 pm
      Dont write Keane off,Ngog may even get a start who knows but I do think Kuyt will start as I said Rafa is the only one who knows lets hope its for the good 3 pts in the bag :aaliverpoolwz0:
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #38: Dec 05, 2008 09:04:03 pm
      Babel and Kuyt would be a good pairing, but I can still see Keane as our lone striker. Where else would he go? Rafa wouldn't sit him on the bench ...
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #39: Dec 05, 2008 09:51:10 pm
      Babel and Kuyt would be a good pairing, but I can still see Keane as our lone striker. Where else would he go? Rafa wouldn't sit him on the bench ...

He doesn't have a problem with it after about 60 minutes.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #40: Dec 06, 2008 12:23:52 am
      Mate I am sure for the first 2o minutes he was paired with him in fact they held hands till about the 30th minute. Then Kuyt drifted somewhere between RK and SG.
      KOPMKD
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 129 posts |
      Reply #41: Dec 06, 2008 02:56:47 am
      Gerrard and Keane upfront,Kuyt and Babel right and left,Xabi and Mascerano will do the dirty work in the middle.

XABI                  MASCERANO

KUYT                                                                 BABEL

GERRARD

KEANE

We'll have 4 men that can score upfront(well one of them should refresh his scoring memories ;))

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #42: Dec 06, 2008 02:59:45 am
      12 hours to go.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #43: Dec 06, 2008 03:00:14 am
      Now. ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #44: Dec 06, 2008 03:20:36 am

Reina

Arbeloa          Carragher          Agger         Dossena

Kuyt             Alonso            Masch           Riera

Gerrard

Babel

Cavalieri   Lucas   Benayoun   Keane   Insua   El Zhar   Hyypia

You read my mind, i was going to put that line up too :D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #45: Dec 06, 2008 10:31:25 am
      Could just be paper talk, but if Rafa is going to leave Keane on the bench and only have Kuyt up on his own, is that a better option?

From the newsfeed section in the Melwood board, a link to the Telegraph

Rafael Benitez set to take Robbie Keane out of Liverpool firing line against Blackburn

Rafa Benitez has hinted that he is set to take Robbie Keane out of the firing line as Liverpool look to strengthen their position at the top of the Premier League table at Blackburn.

Keane, 28, has struggled for form since joining his boyhood heroes from Tottenham in the summer and has been substituted in five of his last six appearances.

His only two Premier League goals so far came in the 3-0 win over bottom club West Brom last month.

Even the absence of hamtring victim Fernando Torres is unlikely to save Keane from being demoted to the bench at Ewood Park as Benitez takes action after failing to see his side score in the last two league games.

Despite establishing a one-point lead over Chelsea at the summit on Monday, Liverpool players were booed off the pitch at Anfield after a goalless stalemate with Fulham.

"He (Keane) is in the same situation as the rest of the players," said Benitez, who is set to play Dirk Kuyt as a lone striker.

"I cannot guarantee a position to anyone.

"He is working hard, he has a good mentality and has enough confidence in himself.

"After this, I have to decide about each team selection because we want to win every game and have to pick the best players for each game."

Meanwhile, Benitez has revealed that talks over a new contract are no nearer being concluded.

The Spaniard had hoped to commit his future to the club by the end of November but discussions look like continuing well into December.

"My advisors are in contact with the club, and that's it. I want to concentrate on football," added Benitez yesterday.

Asked whether there was an end in sight to the talks, Benitez said: "No, but the end has to be sooner rather than later."

Either way, playing one striker up front puts a lot of responsibilities on that striker. Especially with two big grocks in their defence. We'll need lots of sevice today.

Come on you mighty reds!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply