Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Give youth its chance?

Read 5078 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Give youth its chance?
      Reply #23: Jun 16, 2008 02:31:13 pm
      What about Guthrie? I thought he did really well on loan to Bolton last year but not good enough to break into our team really

You answered your own question mate ;)
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #24: Jun 16, 2008 03:25:11 pm
      Danny Guthrie - Loaned to Bolton FC for 07/08 season.
      Godwin Antwi - Loaned to Hatlepool FC for 07/08 season.
      Paul Anderson - Loaned to Swansea FC for 07/08 season.
      Adam Hammill -  Loaned to Southampton  FC for 07/08 season.
      Lee Peltier - Loaned to Yeovil Town FC for 07/08 season.
      Miki Roque - Loaned to Xerez FC for 07/08 season.
      Scott Carson - Loaned to Aston Villa FC for 07/08 season.
      Jimmy Ryan - Loaned to Shrewsbury FC for 1 month.
      Robbie Threlfall - Loaned to Hereford United FC for 1 month.

These are some of the players out on loan last season most of the above, I cant see them making it to the 1st team.

Godwin is only 19, and a big lad over 6foot, players very well as a central defender, had a very good loan spell last season with Accington Stanley, and  done well with Hartlepool, this is the only lad I can see making it out of the ones on loan.

Rafa has a lot of thinking to do, with a few of the youth knocking on the door of the 1st team, the likes of Nemeth, Insua and Plessis.
      All of the above coming back of loan, we now have far to many players, I think Rafa is going to have a good clear out soon, and raise a good few million, just on the above list that are not going to make it.

What do you think, who would you sell.

adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #25: Jun 16, 2008 03:37:38 pm
      The problem with Godwin Antwi is that we are stocked with a good pile of defenders. I would like to see him loan out again this season to a Championship side and see how well he has progressed from League 1 last season because from what I heard he did a very good job from moving up from League 2 level to League one.

Guthrie is an interesting case because I think he shown with Bolton in the Premiership and UEFA Cup that he can play well at that level. I would like to see Rafa maybe keep him and use him as cover because we will be thin in the middle of the park for the first couple of months. If Rafa is indeed worried by the new rule coming in I think keeping him would ease the pressure of him having to go spend some over the odds on a English player who is of the same caliber.

As far as the two wingers Anderson and Hamill I see another loan period for them and see if they can get any better and if they don't then simply sell them because it better off. to do such a thing.

I would like to see a few of the lads this season in the reserves loan out to club because I think it is the most important part of building a players skills and ability when they play a lot of games which really matter. Players like a Spearing, Darby, San Jose would be good experience for them to go out.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #26: Jun 16, 2008 03:47:34 pm
      Lee peltier i always thought was a good player but with degan coming in he doesnt have a chance this season unless finnan leaves
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #27: Jun 16, 2008 04:52:35 pm
      Peltier's loan was made permanent was it not?

Also he's really more of a central midfielder, he just covered right back for a few Carling Cup games as we only had Finnan at the time & he needed a rest.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #28: Jun 16, 2008 05:23:01 pm
      It was indeed, Lee Peltier Signed for Yeovil in January when his loan period ended

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/y/yeovil/7166924.stm
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #29: Jun 16, 2008 07:55:07 pm
      It was indeed, Lee Peltier Signed for Yeovil in January when his loan period ended

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/y/yeovil/7166924.stm

:( i saw him at RB a few times thought he was good.. then again the opposition wasnt to strong but o well thats that sorted out.
      TheSpecialOne
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts | -1 
      Reply #30: Jun 16, 2008 10:30:40 pm
      Couldnt agree more with this youth chance policy
      especially British acadamey boys.
      you only have to look at r two present most consistent and quality players of late to see how much the chances for youths should be given.
      Two local boys stevie g n carra.
      Thats all you have to say
      the passion they play with is somethinelse
      there irreplaceable.
      Youngsters need a chance.
      Dissapointments me to thnk how the youth team has won the Fa youth cup 2 times with in the last 3 years yet no players get chances
      what do you thnk?
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,701 posts | 893 
      Reply #31: Jun 16, 2008 10:44:50 pm
      they should be given a chance, and there is no doubt in my mind that rafa will do that when he thinks they are ready. is there any way a OOT like me can watch nemeth in action? heard alot about him. and how is El zhar doing? amyprogress yet. would love to see him step up next season!
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #32: Jun 16, 2008 10:47:27 pm
      they should be given a chance, and there is no doubt in my mind that rafa will do that when he thinks they are ready. is there any way a OOT like me can watch nemeth in action? heard alot about him. and how is El zhar doing? amyprogress yet. would love to see him step up next season!

Nemeth i would like to see given a chance but i said this earlier i think, El Zhar hasnt got it IMO. If you want to watch them then you should look up the reserve matches last season ;)
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #33: Jun 16, 2008 10:55:07 pm

Check out the reserves thread mate. I posted a link to download the reserve final highlights. Has a good game in that.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #34: Jun 17, 2008 12:05:48 am
      El Zhars a very good player, i dont see what is wrong with him, seems to create alot for teammates. Training with the first team on a regular basis would do him good in my opinion.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #35: Jun 17, 2008 02:56:34 pm
      El Zhars a very good player, I dont see what is wrong with him, seems to create alot for teammates. Training with the first team on a regular basis would do him good in my opinion.

Theres no denying that training with the first team would do him good, thats the case with every player though, i just think that to make it in the first team at a young age you have to have something special you no, and El Zhar doesnt have that just yet IMO, but id still like to hold onto him for a few years to see how he progreses
      TheSpecialOne
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts | -1 
      Reply #36: Jun 17, 2008 03:02:02 pm
      Nemeth certainly does judgin by what ive seen of him in the reserves
      But then again lots of the players from the youth team a few years ago had the potential but for some reason never made it through to the first team:
      e.g. Antwi
            Andersson
            Charlie Barnett
      WERE ARE THESE NOW?
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,701 posts | 893 
      Reply #37: Jun 17, 2008 06:18:03 pm
      Check out the reserves thread mate. I posted a link to download the reserve final highlights. Has a good game in that.

thanks alot!
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #38: Jun 18, 2008 04:40:10 pm
      Nemeth certainly does judgin by what ive seen of him in the reserves
      But then again lots of the players from the youth team a few years ago had the potential but for some reason never made it through to the first team:
      e.g. Antwi
            Andersson
            Charlie Barnett
      WERE ARE THESE NOW?

Still in the reserves or were on loan and the most likly scenario is the same will happen next year
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Are The Youngsters Now Ready?
      Reply #39: Dec 09, 2008 10:52:02 pm
      Obviously this has been a question playing on our minds for a good year or 2 now, well ever since Insua got his first start really.

Insua: Played on the back end of the last 2 seasons and we have all been wondering why he has'nt played more but I think Rafa has done the right thing waiting until now because when he played at the weekend, to me he looked really fired up and as if he was going out there to really stake a claim and I think he done that and that Rafa will be playing him a lot more now.
      The thing I really like about Insua is his attacking ability, he joins into the attacks with ease and the way he ends up crossing and running with the ball you would think he was a left winger. IMO I think he is already our best left back.

Verdict - Ready

El Zhar: Another who has been on the lips of us Liverpool fans for a while now and I for one thought that when he played and scored that great goal in the Carling Cup last season that he was going to go on and play quite a few times but it turned out he did'nt. This season he has made quite a few appearances (all from the bench) and has had an impact by getting a couple of assists as well as being around the play when other goals have been scored. For example, Gerrard's goal at the weekend against Blackburn.
      Where he has been playing in some games this season I think it will continue and in the new year I think he may well be starting as opposed to just coming on as a sub.
      The only thing I am slightly worried about is the competition for places in midfield and that Kuyt is a regular feature on the right wing but I see no reason why El Zhar cannot compete with him as he offers us something totally different and teams don't know what to expect from him.

Verdict - Ready

Darby: Has only really been mentioned since around the start of pre-season when he showed some glimpses of what he has in terms of future potential. When he came on tonight he slotted straight into the game and did'nt look like a youngster who had just came on in a Champions League game. Some people say that it is harder for defenders to come on as a sub because the defence is usually working as a unit and they can have it playing on their minds that they might struggle to fit into that unit. Darby however, showed us tonight that it does'nt make a differance if you are a defender coming on or not regardles of how well Arbeloa was doing.
      Personally I don't think he will get a lot of games this season even though Arbeloa is our only other right back (Degen wont be included until he stops getting injured every 5 minutes of playing time) because I get the feeling Rafa will do the same as what he done with Insua and not play him even though he appears to be ready as this could just build up the desire to stake his claim and will truly give his all when he does finally get the nod.

Verdict - Not Just Yet

Spearing: A difficult one to judge IMO. He has played in numerous friendlies and I believe he played against Galatasary did he not??
      He has shown us that he could well be a very good player but it's whether or not he has that future at Anfield at the moment. We have a lot of players in his position such as Gerrard, Masch, Alonso, Lucas as well as Plessis. I'm not saying get rid of Spearing altogether, I am thinking on more of a loan deal so it gives him a chance to gain some extra experience. I thought he played well tonight and looked comfortable when with the ball and even though he could get in the team at the moment it would mean a lot of rotation in that position and I don't think it would be a good risk to take while we are hunting down number 19. I think he should be given the Carling Cup and a role in the FA Cup.

Verdict - Not Until Next Season At The Earliest (after all, time is on his side given his age)

Martin Kelly: Came on for Carragher which is not an easy thing to do for any player let alone an 18 year old. Hyypia wont be at the club in a playing role for much longer in all honesty and if Kelly would be happy to sit in the reserves, playing a bit part role until Carragher starts to dwindle out and then start to learn from Agger and Skrtel which will become a defensive force then Kelly has the potential to become a very good player for us. He looked confident enough tonight and he played well. Just slightly worried that he might not want to wait a few years for his chance.

Verdict - No Until Hyypia Leaves

Plessis: Broke onto the scene against Arsenal last season and done very well, he also played a few more games since then and done well, along with scoring a goal this season. I think like Spearing the midfield is too packed for him to have a regular spot at the moment but I think he is closer to it than Spearing.

Verdict - Ready, Just A Case Of Forcing His Way In[/b]

Hobbs: I don't think we can really discuss until we know whether or not he will be staying because where he would have had a season of first team football he might not want to stay at a club where he is'nt guarenteed a place. Him and kelly could have the potential to become our future centre backs IMO. (providing they are willing to bide their time)

Verdict - n/a until we know his future in the summer

IMHO I think Rafa prefers to play them a few times and then not play them even though they and the fans may feel as if they are ready to play as it builds up the deire and passion to stake a claim in the team. It may sound silly but it appears as if he has done that with Insua and El Zhar.
      From that list I think only Insua and El Zhar are likely to play more than 10 games for us this season.

We have a very good, talented bunch of youngsters and even though the kids at Arsenal are already playing on a regular basis they don't appear to be developing much where as Rafa seems to know what he is doing in order to get the full potential out of them. Don't get me wrong, Wenger has done a good job with some of them but other than Fabregas none of them really stand out. (Walcott does'nt count because Southampton made him).
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Re: Are The Youngsters Now Ready?
      Reply #40: Dec 09, 2008 11:05:07 pm
      Very good verdicts and reasons, I would maybe say El Zhar is just ready to be starting games, but he works very well as an impact sub
      MsGerrard
      Reply #41: Dec 09, 2008 11:53:56 pm
      Very good post 7KK7

I have to disagree with you though on Stephen Darby...........I'm a big fan of his and I personally think he is ready.

You know who he reminds me of?

Alan Hansen..........looks cool, calm and collected on the ball  ;D

Captain of the Reserves, I have very high hopes for him, very versatile defender, can play any position across the back four.

Anyway a + for you for your hard work  ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #42: Dec 10, 2008 06:25:05 am
      Agree with MsG. Darby looks as though he is very capable no matter where or when he plays.

El Zhar, i think he is very underated. Great player who i feel wont get attention from Prem. clubs once they see him on the teamsheet leaving him space to cause havoc which he usually does. In saying that, a very good impact player.

Spearing, i dont think a loan will do him good. His Scouse passion is enough to get him through and help him improve/succeed. A loan spell for him i see as detrimental as he'll lose some of that passion (may not be right but just a feeling i get).

Overall great summary except for Darby IMO.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #43: Dec 10, 2008 07:59:05 am
      In fact most of Arsenal's first team like Ramsey, Fabregas, Walcott, Clichy, Denilson and Nasri aren't product of Arsenal. they were brought from other countries.

Personally, i think Darby, Insua, and El Zhar are the ones that should be featuring more. Spearing, N'gog and Plessis still need more time.

Quick Reply