Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Xabi Alonso (Arsenal)

Read 8157 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,701 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Xabi Alonso (Arsenal)
      Dec 08, 2008 07:12:48 am
      http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/12/08/arsenal-in-new-swoop-for-liverpool-star-xabi-alonso-exclusive-115875-20954236/
      Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is ready to make a new bid for Liverpool's Spanish midfield supremo Xabi Alonso - and bring his strength and experience into his side.

Wenger sent top and trusted spy Steve Rowley to watch the Kop ace in scoring action against Blackburn Rovers at the weekend ahead of a £12 million move.

The Gunners chief regrets not signing Alonso last summer when Liverpool refused to sell while they were chasing his replacement Gareth Barry.

Now Wenger - alarmed by the occasional immaturity of his team - is back on the case and with the cash backing to make one hugely significant signing if Liverpool will play ball.

The only snag is that Alonso cannot play in the Champions League, but Wenger's main worry is making the elite competition next season by finishing in the top four and a hefty fee is worth investing in that equation.

Alonso has been a big part of Liverpool's title push but Rafa Benitez had admitted that he would still sign Barry from Aston Villa if he had the money to do so.

Barry is about to enter the last 18 months of his contract and although Villa say they are happy to let the season pass they could now have new bids for the England star.

However Liverpool now face rivalry from newly-rich Manchester City, with Mark Hughes keen to land Barry next month - and with the money to outbid them in the market.

A massive tug-of-war is about to start with both Alonso and Barry involved - as they were in the summer - but now with a third club pulling in another direction.

If this happens we will be screwed 'cos he is playing better than gerrard (after his injure). If rafa' decides to sell him he will make his worst decision in world football transfers. Sammy give a rafa an advice to give alonso a new contract. Hope this is not true.  :f_steam: :f_doh:
      « Last Edit: Dec 30, 2008 03:18:21 pm by JD »
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Re: Arsenal in new swoop for Liverpool star Xabi Alonso
      Reply #1: Dec 08, 2008 07:19:59 am
      12 Million quid?
      Wenger's been on the wacky backy.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,701 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2: Dec 08, 2008 07:25:21 am
      I would not take less than 55+m for him end of story. I put a price tag not brcause i want to sell him but to fighthened the buying team.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #3: Dec 08, 2008 07:59:47 am
      if xabi is sold, you can say bye bye to number 19 :P

just trying to say that Xabi is as important as Stevie, Jamie and Fernando
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #4: Dec 08, 2008 09:51:40 am
      Xabi should not leave it would be stuppid for Rafa sell a player of such quality,he has played with such conviction since all the speculation of him leaving.KEEP XABI.i
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #5: Dec 08, 2008 09:52:08 am
      Ahhh Wenger makes me laugh sometimes :D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #6: Dec 08, 2008 10:12:46 am
      if xabi is sold, you can say bye bye to number 19 :P

just trying to say that Xabi is as important as Stevie, Jamie and Fernando

I strongly agree. He has been clearly one of if not THE best player for us this season. If we sold him it would be the worst decision of Rafa's life. Even the decision to have that awful beard is a better decision than selling Alonso.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #7: Dec 08, 2008 10:42:42 am
      I guess we'll see how Rafa fancies getting Barry. I'm strongly against it now. I called for Xabi to stay and give na more advanced role and its eventuated, now he is in the form of his life for us.

Voyeur, bidding starts at 35 million quid.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #8: Dec 08, 2008 11:12:06 am
      £12m, I just don't get the French sence of humor. My reply, "Nique ta m?re "
      http://www.youswear.com/index.asp?language=French

Xabi will be going no where. He is back. Even Rafa said, why wold he go to a disorgised footbaling team, with great admiistration, when he has the opposite here.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #9: Dec 08, 2008 11:59:14 am
      £12m, I just don't get the French sence of humor. My reply, "Nique ta m?re "

:lmao:

Didn't need to translate it either! ;)
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #10: Dec 08, 2008 12:45:48 pm
      :lmao: poor Wenger is going a bit crazy in old age 12million! dont be silly
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #11: Dec 08, 2008 04:33:26 pm
      :lmao: poor Wenger is going a bit crazy in old age 12million! dont be silly

maybe if he became our assisstant manager and he brought walcott, clichy, vela, sagna, fabregas, welshere and adebayor then we MIGHT just THINK about it :lmao:
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #12: Dec 08, 2008 05:12:38 pm
      maybe if he became our assisstant manager and he brought walcott, clichy, vela, sagna, fabregas, welshere and adebayor then we MIGHT just THINK about it :lmao:

Why would we want all of those players? I just want Xabi!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #13: Dec 08, 2008 05:22:12 pm
      Do one Wenger.

If Rafa let Xabi go after the season he's been having for us, I'll send Smigger down to Melwood to have a few words.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #14: Dec 08, 2008 06:57:04 pm
      Wenger really is a stupid b***ard if he thinks that he can offer the same price that he did in the summer.

Perhaps he has failed to notice the fact that he is now playing the best football that he ever has for us. If Rafa even enters negotiations with them, then he really would need his head checking.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #15: Dec 08, 2008 07:08:35 pm
      Hahaha  poor wenger.He offered 12mill.  last summer..Rafa and Liverpool said NO NO NO
         Do you think they will say yes today for that same  sum
         The price  has trippled and more now
       so look elswhere for your team Mr A.W
        Xabi is here to stay
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #16: Dec 08, 2008 07:18:53 pm
      http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/12/08/arsenal-in-new-swoop-for-liverpool-star-xabi-alonso-exclusive-115875-20954236/
      Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is ready to make a new bid for Liverpool's Spanish midfield supremo Xabi Alonso - and bring his strength and experience into his side.

Wenger sent top and trusted spy Steve Rowley to watch the Kop ace in scoring action against Blackburn Rovers at the weekend ahead of a £12 million move.

The Gunners chief regrets not signing Alonso last summer when Liverpool refused to sell while they were chasing his replacement Gareth Barry.

Now Wenger - alarmed by the occasional immaturity of his team - is back on the case and with the cash backing to make one hugely significant signing if Liverpool will play ball.

The only snag is that Alonso cannot play in the Champions League, but Wenger's main worry is making the elite competition next season by finishing in the top four and a hefty fee is worth investing in that equation.

Alonso has been a big part of Liverpool's title push but Rafa Benitez had admitted that he would still sign Barry from Aston Villa if he had the money to do so.

Barry is about to enter the last 18 months of his contract and although Villa say they are happy to let the season pass they could now have new bids for the England star.

However Liverpool now face rivalry from newly-rich Manchester City, with Mark Hughes keen to land Barry next month - and with the money to outbid them in the market.

A massive tug-of-war is about to start with both Alonso and Barry involved - as they were in the summer - but now with a third club pulling in another direction.

Don't see any quotes from Wenger or Rafa...

Utterly over-the-top garbage trying to sell their rag.  ::) Look at the bit in bold, you'd think they'd sent F***ing James Bond to watch Alonso by flying into the stadium on a radar undetectable hanglider.

Honestly!  ::)
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #17: Dec 08, 2008 07:21:14 pm
      Do one Wenger.

If Rafa let Xabi go after the season he's been having for us, I'll send Smigger down to Melwood to have a few words.

I'd gladly do that Ken  ;) :D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #18: Dec 08, 2008 08:19:15 pm
      It's more media bullshit.

Alonso will not be leaving for Arsenal, especially seeing as he is in hot form and Arsenal are a rival so the talk of a January move is also out the question.

And for £12mill :lmao: Juve offered more than that and it was deemed as not good enough and his value has shot up alot more since then.

I dont think he will leave in the summer either.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #19: Dec 09, 2008 05:45:32 am
      Should be going to Anfield and showing support for Xabi. Don't think Rafa would come on here and see this thread.
      sivapc
      • Banned

• 238 posts | -25 
      Reply #20: Dec 09, 2008 02:00:23 pm
      No Way the bearded menace Xabi leaving us for arsenal. Best of player of the season, IMO
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #21: Dec 10, 2008 10:25:44 am
      Oh God No, give me 40million for him and i might think about it. But probably not.
      He's been brilliant this season keeping Masch out of the side a fair bit.
      Don't sell him please Rafa. (this story is probably sh*te anyway)
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #22: Dec 10, 2008 07:40:41 pm
      No way, i want this guy to play till his 34 here end his career here.
      Really like this guy, one of kind.

Quick Reply