Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 6th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W0 D1 L2

Liverpool v Hull City - Match Thread

Read 50002 times
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,539 posts | 34 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Re: Liverpool v Hull City - Match Thread
      Reply #414: Dec 14, 2008 10:13:57 am
      Did well to claw back the 2 goals we conceded but to be honest I don't think we even looked like scoring in the 2nd half.

But how many times do we have to rely on  other teams to drop points because we f**ked up at home AGAIN!!
      Why we play 1 up front without Torres is truely beyond belief, Kuyt just hasn't got the first touch needed, Keane as he's already proved can't do it, and neither can Ngog from his display against PSV.  No point even talking about Nemeth or Brower cos they won't get a game.
      egyptian magician
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #415: Dec 14, 2008 11:21:44 am
      Keane played well midweek and doesn't deserve this treatment from the manager. Benitez needs to get his head out of his own a**e and stop doing the opposite to what everyone else wants. He will get himself the sack and we will never win the title under him. The END.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #416: Dec 14, 2008 12:33:58 pm
      How can Rafa's tactics be so astute and effective against the top teams in europe, and then so bloody useless against mediocre opposition in the Prem. Do you think he is not as stong a character as he would have us believe?
      Does he make these team, and substitute selections, more to keep players happy than to clinicly win games. Does he hope to scrape through games and pinch a win just to give every one a game ?  I'm begining to wonder, a bit like a kids side when the manager gets ear ache from parents because thier lad isn't playing. It does my head in. We should be capable of battering these teams and we're no where near it. Just because of tactics and selection.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #417: Dec 14, 2008 12:36:12 pm
      The problem with Rafa when we play sh*t teams is, he over thinks. Just put your best XI on and the quality will show, you dont mix and match to try to perfectly out play them, just play who's the best at the time and we win. Frustrating.
      mkj1972
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 764 posts |
      Reply #418: Dec 14, 2008 12:42:46 pm
      He deffo under estimated Hull City who have made a decent start in the Premiership and can hold their heads high.
      We are drawing too many games again this season that we should be winning,just fortunate that the other top teams are dropping points as well.
      Rafas constant chopping and changing off the team is doing us no favours,i know injuries have forced his hand(such as torres) but a settled team will always perform better than one that is constantly changed all the time.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #419: Dec 14, 2008 12:44:12 pm
      I dont think it is a case of underestimated, IMO he overestimated them.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #420: Dec 14, 2008 01:02:50 pm
      Deffo. Rafa needs to understand we are top of the league more for the reason that Chelsea / Mancs are slipping up, if we were 9/10 points clear (which we should be) then he can fiddle with the team but we're not, every point counts.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #421: Dec 14, 2008 01:08:11 pm
      Table after 17 matches last season

Arsenal     40
      man Utd   39
      Chelsea     34
      Liverpool   30

This season after 17 matches

Liverpool   38
      Chelsea     36  game in hand
      Man Utd    32  game in hand
      Arsenal      30

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson:

"It is not a bad result. We dominated the game for the most part and their goalkeeper has made two fantastic saves near the end.

"We just needed that bit of luck or a break close to goal but we didn't get it. But you have to admire the intensity of our game. Tottenham have been on a high since Harry Redknapp came.

"There is a bit of life about the club now. You expect to see them higher up the league and I am sure they will be. Overall, I am satisfied with the performance."

Those were SAF's comments after the match, and its interesting to see the different perspectives of the different clubs. Man Utd are 7 points off the pace from last season, albeit with a game in hand. Liverpool are 8 points ahead of where they were at the same time last season. The mood here is sombre and this is despite the terrific position the club is in, and despite being without Torres for many matches this season, who's return will give the club great impetus.

The point is people around here need to cheer up and realise that Liverpool are playing some brilliant football this season but are having exactly the same problems as other big clubs. They are totally dominating matches without being able to finish off the chances, and secure the 3 points every week.
      Liverpool on balance should have beaten Hull 4-2 or 5-2, perhaps 5-3 if the penalty had been awarded to Hull.
      Rafa complained in his after match comments that the game was too open and that exposed Liverpool to the counter attack. He inferred that Liverpool should have played tighter, and attacked less thus shutting the back door on Hull's attacking threat.  However, all the speculation leading up to this match was that Liverpool in previous encounters were not attacking enough from the outset, so clearly they went out there trying to put that right. You cant have your cake and eat it too.

I thought the match was brilliant, and on balance Liverpool were good for 5 goals, on opportunities and balance. If 3 points are to be gained on a regular basis the attacking style of this match must be replicated week in and week out. It would be foolish to go back into the shell, and show less ambition. The goals will start to come if you keep playing that way, and it is "goals" you need, if you want to win the title. The biggest mistake in my books was Rafa taking Rierra off, when clearly he looked to be more likely to score than most.  His substitutions were not attacking enough, I would have had Babel and Keane on in the last 30 minutes and withdrawn defensive players. Thats my only criticism.  
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #422: Dec 14, 2008 01:22:47 pm
      I think that the problem is we're not able to get into the box and give in good delivery for the central striker ( and tin this case ... without Torres isn't clinical enough) I feel bad for Carra though!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,369 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #423: Dec 14, 2008 03:25:52 pm
      Rafa has to but his hands up for yesterday. 4 5 1 at Anfield without Torres doesnt work. Kuyt on his best day hasnt the right tools to play as a lone striker, his touch should be illegal by the way its disgraceful, but in my view Rafa was showing hes the boss as the crowd wanted Keane on he was never putting him on. A 20 million pound man cant get 10 minutes?

What difference did his subs make yesterday? Babel made less impact then Riera and Lucas for Masch made no sense as Lucas didnt play much higher up then masch did. So why not throw Keane on?

We praise Rafa enough so its only fair to say when he got it wrong
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #424: Dec 14, 2008 03:29:39 pm
      Rafa has to but his hands up for yesterday. 4 5 1 at Anfield without Torres doesnt work. Kuyt on his best day hasnt the right tools to play as a lone striker, his touch should be illegal by the way its disgraceful, but in my view Rafa was showing hes the boss as the crowd wanted Keane on he was never putting him on. A 20 million pound man cant get 10 minutes?

What difference did his subs make yesterday? Babel made less impact then Riera and Lucas for Masch made no sense as Lucas didnt play much higher up then masch did. So why not throw Keane on?

We praise Rafa enough so its only fair to say when he got it wrong

I think you're right Brian, sadly.

For me, too often he makes his substitutions too late in the game. I felt like we were getting nowhere around 55 minutes, and could have brought on a couple of subs, to give them time to get into the game and have a fair crack at it. Giving a lad 10 minutes doesn't give him chance to get into the match before it's finished.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,369 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #425: Dec 14, 2008 04:02:58 pm
      Is it true that post match Rafa said "Robbie didnt get on because sometimes its possible to have too many players in the box"

If thats true its the most ridiculous comment to make. Theres no fear of us ever having too many players in the box is ther Rafa?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #426: Dec 14, 2008 04:05:32 pm
      Is it true that post match Rafa said "Robbie didnt get on because sometimes its possible to have too many players in the box"

If thats true its the most ridiculous comment to make. Theres no fear of us ever having too many players in the box is ther Rafa?

I think Rafa is doing what I said he should have done a while ago

Leaving Keane out so that when he gets a chance he will make the most of it
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #427: Dec 14, 2008 04:22:41 pm
      Table after 17 matches last season

Arsenal     40
      man Utd   39
      Chelsea     34
      Liverpool   30

This season after 17 matches

Liverpool   38
      Chelsea     36  game in hand
      Man Utd    32  game in hand
      Arsenal      30

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson:

"It is not a bad result. We dominated the game for the most part and their goalkeeper has made two fantastic saves near the end.

"We just needed that bit of luck or a break close to goal but we didn't get it. But you have to admire the intensity of our game. Tottenham have been on a high since Harry Redknapp came.

"There is a bit of life about the club now. You expect to see them higher up the league and I am sure they will be. Overall, I am satisfied with the performance."

Those were SAF's comments after the match, and its interesting to see the different perspectives of the different clubs. Man Utd are 7 points off the pace from last season, albeit with a game in hand. Liverpool are 8 points ahead of where they were at the same time last season. The mood here is sombre and this is despite the terrific position the club is in, and despite being without Torres for many matches this season, who's return will give the club great impetus.

The point is people around here need to cheer up and realise that Liverpool are playing some brilliant football this season but are having exactly the same problems as other big clubs. They are totally dominating matches without being able to finish off the chances, and secure the 3 points every week.
      Liverpool on balance should have beaten Hull 4-2 or 5-2, perhaps 5-3 if the penalty had been awarded to Hull.
      Rafa complained in his after match comments that the game was too open and that exposed Liverpool to the counter attack. He inferred that Liverpool should have played tighter, and attacked less thus shutting the back door on Hull's attacking threat.  However, all the speculation leading up to this match was that Liverpool in previous encounters were not attacking enough from the outset, so clearly they went out there trying to put that right. You cant have your cake and eat it too.

I thought the match was brilliant, and on balance Liverpool were good for 5 goals, on opportunities and balance. If 3 points are to be gained on a regular basis the attacking style of this match must be replicated week in and week out. It would be foolish to go back into the shell, and show less ambition. The goals will start to come if you keep playing that way, and it is "goals" you need, if you want to win the title. The biggest mistake in my books was Rafa taking Rierra off, when clearly he looked to be more likely to score than most.  His substitutions were not attacking enough, I would have had Babel and Keane on in the last 30 minutes and withdrawn defensive players. Thats my only criticism.  

sorry manilow, you are being way too positive for me, we were lucky to win some games could have lost this season...........it has not really looked good all season to me, keane didnt help, but rafas tactics didnt either....last year he was slagged off by everybody because he did rotate too much,in the end the voice of the people was heared....and rafa stopped doing it....... now he is playing bizzare substitutions too late and mega negative tactics at home...if we all cry loud enough maybe he will see sense.
      Evilone
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts | -1 
      Reply #428: Dec 14, 2008 04:37:37 pm
      OT: yesterday I wrote in this topic that we do not worry that about United and Chelsea's matches this week, I told you guys that Tottenham and United will be a Draw, and it turned out to be a draw to, know I am watching Chelsea VS West Ham and I told you that Bellamy will score two goals against Chelsea and win, it is already 0-1 and Bellamy scored. It is a little scary ? :P
      « Last Edit: Dec 14, 2008 04:50:49 pm by smigger15 »
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #429: Dec 14, 2008 04:58:53 pm
      OT: yesterday I wrote in this topic that we do not worry that about United and Chelsea's matches this week, I told you guys that Tottenham and United will be a Draw, and it turned out to be a draw to, know I am watching Chelsea VS West Ham and I told you that Bellamy will score two goals against Chelsea and win, it is already 0-1 and Bellamy scored. It is a little scary ? :P

A little, but to be honest I wish you'd start predicting Liverpool to win 5-0!

;)
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #430: Dec 14, 2008 05:39:47 pm
      The whole Keane issue is so backwards! How does benching him correct whatever dry spell he might be experiencing? It will only punish him psychologically and even put more pressure on him and make it even more difficult for him to score.

Earlier when he started scoring goals, he got benched the following week. So much for a build up on consistency.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #431: Dec 14, 2008 06:12:14 pm
      The whole Keane issue is so backwards! How does benching him correct whatever dry spell he might be experiencing? It will only punish him psychologically and even put more pressure on him and make it even more difficult for him to score.

Earlier when he started scoring goals, he got benched the following week. So much for a build up on consistency.

What?!
      Earlier in the season, when Keane was firing blanks, people were saying to drop him and some even said bung him in the reserves, now he's not getting as many games and people complain!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #432: Dec 14, 2008 06:15:11 pm
      ^^ I'm not complaining.  Consistently failed to take his chances.  Plenty of other people who deserve a crack up top now - Babel and Ngog for a kick off.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8676 
      Reply #433: Dec 14, 2008 06:15:35 pm
      Happened to Robbie at Tottenham, and when back in the team he started scoring goals again.

Rafa left him yesterday to get him fired up for next week against Arsenal, when he starts Dirk and leaves Robbie on the bench!
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #434: Dec 14, 2008 06:21:22 pm
      I'd rather see Robbie in the team than Yossi. Yossi is constantly drifting in too far and doesn't seem to understand the job of a winger. Causes too much congestion in the centre of the park, and I think Kuyt does a better job in the right wing. Put Robbie and Babel up top against Arse.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #435: Dec 14, 2008 06:28:21 pm
      ^^ I'm not complaining.  Consistently failed to take his chances.  Plenty of other people who deserve a crack up top now - Babel and Ngog for a kick off.

Babel has failed to deliver upfront severally. Recall Carling Cup against Tottenham? He couldn't find the back of the net! He wouldn't pass the ball and he loses it too easily. Ngog scored because Keane put a Gerrard-type brilliant pass to him. Much of the credit for that goal should actually go to Keane. Ngog has been as dismal upfront as Babel.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #436: Dec 14, 2008 06:30:47 pm
      I'd rather see Robbie in the team than Yossi. Yossi is constantly drifting in too far and doesn't seem to understand the job of a winger. Causes too much congestion in the centre of the park, and I think Kuyt does a better job in the right wing. Put Robbie and Babel up top against Arse.

What?!

The game against Hull was ALL about Gerrard-Benanyun-Riera & Alonso. Benanyun adds that extra bite to our attack. Why dont people see that?!

Quick Reply