Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 6th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W0 D1 L2

Liverpool v Hull City - Match Thread

Read 49996 times
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Re: Liverpool v Hull City - Match Thread
      Reply #437: Dec 14, 2008 06:32:43 pm
      Babel has failed to deliver upfront severally. Recall Carling Cup against Tottenham? He couldn't find the back of the net! He wouldn't pass the ball and he loses it too easily. Ngog scored because Keane put a Gerrard-type brilliant pass to him. Much of the credit for that goal should actually go to Keane. Ngog has been as dismal upfront as Babel.

Ngog kept calm in front of goal and took the goal well. With that kind of service from Alonso, Gerrard and Robbie, he could be a regular scorer for us.
      And Babel was on the left wing against spurs, give him a run of games up front (or even on the right) and i'm confident he'll impress.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #438: Dec 15, 2008 10:09:42 am
      What?!

The game against Hull was ALL about Gerrard-Benanyun-Riera & Alonso. Benanyun adds that extra bite to our attack. Why dont people see that?!

Because most attacks that focussed on width, created havoc. Benny, as much as he tries, is trying to show he can play centrally even though he is asked to play on the wing. Riera has been bloody impressive, all done by sticking to his wing.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #439: Dec 15, 2008 10:21:29 am
      I don’t like posting straight after a game as I feel emotions are still high and I wouldn’t say what I really felt so two days after Hull I now feel ready to deliver an honest unbiased opinion. First off although I am a Rafa fan I must admit to being confused and infuriated by some of his decisions and Saturdays starting line up was one of those occasions, we are at home to an admittedly dogged Hull and we line up like we are playing the Mancs at Old Trafford!

Having said that I like the idea of using a five man midfield as you can have really good attacking players in that formation as in Gerrard and Reira with support from a good defensive one as in Mascherano and a fantastic passer of a ball like Alonso who can find anyone when he’s on his game.

But when you have one up front and that player is expected to hold play up and cause the defence problems and also generally make a nuisance of himself why would you play Kuyt in that position? Forget about his good work as a winger and lets concentrate on his forward play, he doesn’t hold play up as his first touch is usually bad his aerial threat is limited and any long ball to him is usually a waste because of these faults, Then you have his distinct lack of pace no long range shooting ability and the scoring threat of Anne Robinson! but I am not on a ‘lets get Dirk’ mission I am honestly totally bemused as to what Rafa thought the team would gain from using him as the lone striker.

He definitely had other options and whilst Keane and Babel do have some of the faults Kuyt has they do have positives that for me should have meant they started ahead of him, Ryan is more direct has pace and isn’t afraid to have a pot shot from distance, Robbie for his poor season so far is clever around the box can lay off passes and also is capable of great through balls as at PSV last week. Would it be wrong of me to suggest Rafa may be playing Dirk ahead of the other two because of some behind the scenes trouble we are not aware of? If not I am open to all arguments as to what he sees in Dirk as a front man never mind a makeshift winger!

As to once the action began I did think we where sleeping to start with and got surprised as to just how lively Hull could be but having a left back who bombs down the wings but then forgets to come back didn’t help and Dossena did get ripped to bits by Mendy until an injury forced his tormenter to play in a right back role.

If I could be controversial now and suggest that as soon as a fit Skirtel returns he and Agger should be played together as often as possible in a centre back pairing that is obviously the future for this club, it has nothing to do with Carra’s own goal I just honestly think he would be better at right back or covering other positions in the later stages of his career. Nostalgia and gratitude should be put to one side and whilst the pairing on Saturday is legendary and still capable of doing a good job I feel the lads waiting in the wings could do a great job and the time has come to start taking a couple of risks with up and coming players and not play it safe with old stalwarts.

A couple of other points I would like to make before I sound too much like a blue nose ;D firstly after clawing back to 2-2 and pushing on in the first half when we could have gone three or four two up why after halftime did we sit back and say ‘we have a point lets hang on to that and see how it goes’ instead of ‘bloody hell its only a point lets get all three!’ also you are chasing a game the clocks running down so why a) replace Bert with Ryan when surely both should have been on the pitch chasing a win. And B) With time running out why bring Lucas on for Mascherano? What in the name of Holy doughnuts was he going to change?

Right with that all off my chest may I add that I am still a Rafa fan it’s just as a fan I feel we have the right to question decisions he makes without appearing like a sack him now supporter and I still believe the ‘In Rafa we trust’ mantra will prove to be right in the long term because after all he knows a hell of a lot more about managing a football team than I do.

Aren’t you glad it’s Monday and I have calmed down?  ;)
      Stevie G-ks
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #440: Dec 15, 2008 12:38:17 pm
      Can anyone tell me please will Torres start in Emirates . :(
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,513 posts | 2873 
      Reply #441: Dec 15, 2008 01:20:39 pm

Most likely no.
      Stevie G-ks
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #442: Dec 15, 2008 02:56:56 pm

Oh man:(  I hope to start, any news from Liverpool for Torres .
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #443: Dec 15, 2008 03:35:27 pm

I'd rather he didn't, either. Rush him back against Arse and he'd more likely to get injured again.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #444: Dec 15, 2008 05:38:44 pm
      What?!

The game against Hull was ALL about Gerrard-Benanyun-Riera & Alonso. Benanyun adds that extra bite to our attack. Why dont people see that?!
      took the words outa my mouth and he can only improve
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #445: Dec 15, 2008 05:53:51 pm
      Sami Hyypia today called on his teammates to put their Hull disappointment in the past and focus on getting three points at the Emirates. http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N162526081215-1002.htm
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #446: Dec 15, 2008 05:58:05 pm
      Babel has failed to deliver upfront severally. Recall Carling Cup against Tottenham?

And Keane hasn't failed?!

And I do recall the Carling Cup.  I recall it very vividly indeed.  It was the game when N'Gog and Torres played up front wasn't it? 

You know full well that Babel hasn't been given a decent chance up front.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,900 posts | 6827 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #447: Dec 16, 2008 02:12:46 am
      Right, I've just read 28 pages of this thread and at least I don't feel as bad as I did after the game. I felt ashamed of myself for thinking bad thoughts about Rafa when he has done so much for this club.

It seems though that the majority of us posters feel the same way as me.

I was gutted with his formation, gutted with leaving Kuyt on for the full 90 minutes and starting to feel really sorry for Robbie and Ryan not getting more match time.

It was easy to see Dirk wasn't up to it as early as the first half...his first touch was disgraceful ...don't let a 20 million pound striker get splinters on his arse by sitting on the bench....if you love Kuyt as much as you do Rafa, take Benni off, Keane or Babel up top and Kuyt to RW.  Don't wait till the friggin 80 min mark to make a change.  >:(

As for Lucas coming on, I too was bemused but the commentator said at the time Mascherano has just walked straight off...is there any sort of injury there?

One last thing.. how about Rafa to manage the team when we play away from home and Sammy Lee to manage when we play at Anfield  :f_tongueincheek:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #448: Dec 16, 2008 08:16:18 am
      took the words outa my mouth and he can only improve

How the devil can he ONLY improve when he is 28? He is likely to decline more than anything.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #449: Dec 16, 2008 09:16:44 am
      How the devil can he ONLY improve when he is 28? He is likely to decline more than anything.
      he looks well for his age- seriously I mean that with more first team opportunities his confidence will grow and his performance should improve
      « Last Edit: Dec 16, 2008 09:24:39 am by stuey »
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #450: Dec 17, 2008 08:25:49 pm
      he looks well for his age- seriously I mean that with more first team opportunities his confidence will grow and his performance should improve

He can be as confident as he likes, he's supposed to be a winger, he's drifting into the centre which means he isn't doing his job that Rafa has appointed him.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #451: Dec 18, 2008 10:32:58 am
      He can be as confident as he likes, he's supposed to be a winger, he's drifting into the centre which means he isn't doing his job that Rafa has appointed him.
      he's following the run of the ball maybe getting too eager and straying out of position but I wouldn't condemn him for it,I still rate him and think he's an asset to the club.

Quick Reply