Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Well in Chris Hoy

Read 3513 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Well in Chris Hoy
      Dec 14, 2008 11:14:59 pm
      Didn't watch the Sports Personality thing (Sky+ it) but if I wasn't too tight to vote he would have got my vote.

Well played.

I assume it all went of well in the Echo Arena as well.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Well in Chris Hoy
      Reply #1: Dec 14, 2008 11:17:27 pm
      Fair play to him. I was guessing Hamilton would get it.

MsGerrard
      Reply #2: Dec 14, 2008 11:23:05 pm
      Yes, Well done Chris Hoy, he seemed genuinely surprised to have won it, nice chap too.

I thought Rebecca Adlington was going to go head first down that steep slope  :o was chuffed for her that she got 3rd, can't be easy getting up at 5am every morning especially in the winter to go swimming.

And nice to see Rushie and Jocky as well.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,017 posts | 3352 
      Reply #3: Dec 19, 2008 12:46:15 am
      Genuinely thought Hamilton would win it, but glad for Hoy. What he did at the Olympics was top class.

Well in fella.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #4: Dec 31, 2008 06:51:46 pm
      He's getting Knighted, too!

"Britain's Olympic heroes dominate the sporting New Year Honours list, with cyclist Chris Hoy knighted.

Team-mate Bradley Wiggins and sailing star Ben Ainslie are appointed CBEs, while double gold medal-winning swimmer Rebecca Adlington becomes an OBE.

Team GB cycling performance director Dave Brailsford is appointed CBE, as is rowing counterpart David Tanner.

Lewis Hamilton becomes an MBE after becoming Formula One's youngest world champion in only his second season.
      " [...]
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #5: Jan 01, 2009 08:41:13 am
      He's getting Knighted, too!

"Britain's Olympic heroes dominate the sporting New Year Honours list, with cyclist Chris Hoy knighted.

Team-mate Bradley Wiggins and sailing star Ben Ainslie are appointed CBEs, while double gold medal-winning swimmer Rebecca Adlington becomes an OBE.

Team GB cycling performance director Dave Brailsford is appointed CBE, as is rowing counterpart David Tanner.

Lewis Hamilton becomes an MBE after becoming Formula One's youngest world champion in only his second season.
      " [...]

Not trying to 'diss' his achievements but the Govt seem to knight or honour anyone who wins anything in sport these days, except footy.

It started with the Rugby World Cup - even every coach got a gong of some sort.  Well done to the team for winning but ffs.

Then the England cricketers won a two-horse race in their own back yard (very narrowly) after the opposition's best bowler missed some of the games due to injury.  All of them got an award from the Queen.  Will the same happen IF (not likely) we win again this year?

Now it's the Olympics.  Won a medal?  Great, have a knighthood, damehood, OBE, etc.

It used to be that honours were given out for 'services to' sport, industry, entertainment, etc.  Now it seems you just win a trophy and get honoured.  I appreciate all the training that they have to do, it takes dedication but that's the life they chose.

It takes as much (if not more) dedication for someone to look after a terminally ill parent or child or someone who is paraplegic, for instance.  For me, they deserve more recognition than a bloke who rides a bike or runs for a living.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #6: Feb 18, 2009 09:07:18 pm
      Chris Hoy becomes Sir Chris Hoy while the most successful English manager, Bob Paisley, isn't!????!??!
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #7: Jun 14, 2009 05:33:08 pm
      Chris Hoy has worked for 20 years to achieve his goals andwithout earning megabucks. In addition his best event the Kilo was taken out of the Olympics so he had to train for a different event. He is a genuinely nice fella and deserving of his award.

Quick Reply