Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Arsenal v Liverpool - pre match

Read 35093 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Arsenal v Liverpool - pre match
      Reply #92: Dec 19, 2008 08:02:47 pm
      Agree with what you said about feeling over Christmas.

I remember last year being very very nearly pissed off on boxing day when Gerrard got the winner against Derby.
      bobobobo
      • Forum Ian St John

• 439 posts | 20 
      Reply #93: Dec 19, 2008 08:30:46 pm
      I reckon 1-0 to us or 1-1 depending on the formation Rafa Plays if he plays 4-5-1 then we'll win, if he plays 4-4-2 then we won't
      I would go:
      Reina GK
      Arbeloa RB
      Carra CB
      Agger CB
      Aurelio LB
      Babel RW
      Gerrard CM
      Xabi CM
      Masch CM
      Riera LW
      as much as I want keane out of the club i would put him or ngog up top on their own. But have it so Babel and riera come forward to make a 4-3-3 on the attack and a 4-5-1 when defending, like chelsea did under mourinho
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #94: Dec 19, 2008 08:55:58 pm
      Rather than Keane or Ngog up top as a lone striker, Kuyt on the right and Babel up front. He suits the lone striker role better than Keane.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,497 posts | 2868 
      Reply #95: Dec 19, 2008 09:02:13 pm
      Rather than Keane or Ngog up top as a lone striker, Kuyt on the right and Babel up front. He suits the lone striker role better than Keane.

I agree. I think playing Keane will effectively mean dropping a holding midfielder (Alonso or Masch) so that Gerrard can play. And I just can't see Rafa doing that away at the Emirates.

Despite saying that, I think Rafa will go for Keane as a lone striker although I hope he goes for Babel.
      Vedder
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 186 posts | -6 
      • Olivavu
      Reply #96: Dec 19, 2008 09:04:08 pm

Babel may well suit the role better, but he's barely anymore of a goalthreat...but what choice do we have?

Perhaps Rafa might like to look at this current situation and realise that he shouldn't have wasted £20m on Keane... :f_whistle:

I agree. I think playing Keane will effectively mean dropping a holding midfielder (Alonso or Masch) so that Gerrard can play. And I just can't see Rafa doing that away at the Emirates.

Despite saying that, I think Rafa will go for Keane as a lone striker although I hope he goes for Babel.

You think Keane will start?

I wouldn't be so sure...he didn't even get on against Blackburn or Hull.
      « Last Edit: Dec 20, 2008 12:31:58 am by Venison 86 »
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #97: Dec 19, 2008 09:09:07 pm
      He has to get him playing soon .His confidence is very low and every game he misses its going to get lower and lower and eventually he will be no good for us and no one will want to touch him with a barge pole . I think Arsenal could be the arena the gladiator needs ....Touch wood
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,497 posts | 2868 
      Reply #98: Dec 19, 2008 09:10:53 pm
      You think Keane will start?

I wouldn't be so sure...he didn't even get on against Blackburn or Hull.

I'm dying for him to get going so that's why I hope he starts so his confidence builds up and so he can fulfil his potential.
      Vedder
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 186 posts | -6 
      • Olivavu
      Reply #99: Dec 19, 2008 09:33:00 pm
      He has to get him playing soon .His confidence is very low and every game he misses its going to get lower and lower and eventually he will be no good for us and no one will want to touch him with a barge pole . I think Arsenal could be the arena the gladiator needs ....Touch wood

He's only scored in one Premiership game and hasn't looked remotely like scoring in practically all the rest he's appeared in.

There'll be plenty of takers lining up if we decide to get rid. Newcastle and Spurs would be straight in for him.

We should just get rid and get Owen back. Simple as that.

I'm dying for him to get going so that's why I hope he starts so his confidence builds up and so he can fulfil his potential.

We all want him to succeed, but it doesn't look promising.
      « Last Edit: Dec 20, 2008 12:32:38 am by Venison 86 »
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,497 posts | 2868 
      Reply #100: Dec 19, 2008 09:51:53 pm
      We all want him to succeed, but it doesn't look promising.

doesn't look promising yet.
      Vedder
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 186 posts | -6 
      • Olivavu
      Reply #101: Dec 19, 2008 09:54:02 pm

He cost £20m, has years of Premiership experience and goals behind him...he should've have shown at least a spell of decent form.

He's put in some decent performances, but for £20m you'd expect more than a good workrate.

The fact that he's not even got on the pitch lately when Torres is out injured suggests that Rafa is growing very tired of standing by him...and who can blame him? We're in the title race here and can't afford to carry any passengers.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,497 posts | 2868 
      Reply #102: Dec 19, 2008 09:56:48 pm
      We're in the title race here and can afford to carry no passengers.

He's not a passenger. Anyone who puts on that Liverpool shirt, walks out on to that pitch and gives 100 percent does not deserve to be called a passenger.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #103: Dec 19, 2008 09:56:59 pm
      Well at least you talk some sence Vedder
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #104: Dec 19, 2008 09:57:07 pm
      It'll be either Keane and Babel or Keane and Kuyt up-front. The one remaining will take the right wing.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,497 posts | 2868 
      Reply #105: Dec 19, 2008 10:02:34 pm
      It'll be either Keane and Babel or Keane and Kuyt up-front. The one remaining will take the right wing.

Going with two upfront?
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #106: Dec 19, 2008 10:04:59 pm
      He's only scored in one Premiership game and hasn't looked remotely like scoring in practically all the rest he's appeared in.

There'll be plenty of takers lining up if we decide to get rid. Newcastle and Spurs would be straight in for him.

We should just get rid and get Owen back. Simple as that.

Won't be going to Spurs in January:

As has been well documented, rumours have been circulating in the media regarding the sale of Liverpool's Robbie Keane to Tottenham Hotspur following the Irishman's poor start to his Anfield career.

The speculation mounted following Rafa Benitez's refusal to utilise the striker in last weekend's match against Hull and reached a frenzy in light of publicised comments made by BBC pundit Mark Lawrenson.

However, Sport.co.uk have consulted the rules and regulations of the FA Premier League (FAPL), and any proposed transfer to Tottenham would need written consent from the FAPL due to Rule L19.

According to the Premier League’s "Rules of The Association and Laws of the Game Season 2008–2009" Rule L19 states:

“A Club which transfers or cancels the registration of a player may not apply to register that player within a year except with the prior written consent of the FAPL.”

If Harry Redknapp's Spurs do launch an offer to rescue Keane from his Liverpool nightmare, the transfer can only be completed with the consent of the FAPL.
      Vedder
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 186 posts | -6 
      • Olivavu
      Reply #107: Dec 19, 2008 10:22:25 pm
      Won't be going to Spurs in January:

"the transfer can only be completed with the consent of the FAPL"

And why would that not be gained?

He's not a passenger. Anyone who puts on that Liverpool shirt, walks out on to that pitch and gives 100 percent does not deserve to be called a passenger.

If they aren't performing to the best of their ability and not doing their job, then they can be called a passenger.

There's no room for romance and sentiment in football anymore. Keane isn't doing it and fully deserves to be on the bench.
      « Last Edit: Dec 20, 2008 12:33:23 am by Venison 86 »
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #108: Dec 19, 2008 10:24:35 pm
      "the transfer can only be completed with the consent of the FAPL"

And why would that not be gained?

It would be very unlikely.

You really think they'd go to all that effort? That he'd want to go back?

Not saying he won't leave, but it won't be to Spurs. I honestly think he'll stay.
      Vedder
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 186 posts | -6 
      • Olivavu
      Reply #109: Dec 19, 2008 10:24:59 pm

I can't see us starting with two upfront. I expect Alonso and Mascherano to start to smother their slick midfield:

________________Reina___ _____________

Arbeloa___Carragher____H yypia_____Dossena

_________Mascherano___Al onso__________

Benayoun________Gerrard_ ___________Riera

________________Kuyt____ _____________
      Vedder
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 186 posts | -6 
      • Olivavu
      Reply #110: Dec 19, 2008 10:26:14 pm
      It would be very unlikely.

You really think they'd go to all that effort? That he'd want to go back?

Not saying he won't leave, but it won't be to Spurs. I honestly think he'll stay.

Rafa looks like he's given up on the guy, at least in the Premiership...and I don't blame him at all. Keane just hasn't looked remotely like a £20m player.

And people can go on all they like about how he'll come good, but it's just not happening.

I think we should just get rid in January and bring in someone who can score - Michael Owen.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,497 posts | 2868 
      Reply #111: Dec 19, 2008 10:26:53 pm
      I apologize for my part in starting all this, but we have a huge game on sunday so could we focus on the game and not the consent of the FAPL.
      Vedder
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 186 posts | -6 
      • Olivavu
      Reply #112: Dec 19, 2008 10:27:05 pm
      Well at least you talk some sence Vedder

Too many biased fans and not enough objective ones...
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,497 posts | 2868 
      Reply #113: Dec 19, 2008 10:29:49 pm
      If they aren't performing to the best of their ability and not doing their job, then they can be called a passenger.

There's no room for romance and sentiment in football anymore. Keane isn't doing it and fully deserves to be on the bench.

And who's going to go upfront then?

Too many biased fans and not enough objective ones...

Being a fan of a football club does kind of make you biased towards them......
      « Last Edit: Dec 20, 2008 12:29:14 am by Venison 86 »
      Vedder
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 186 posts | -6 
      • Olivavu
      Reply #114: Dec 19, 2008 10:36:09 pm
      I apologize for my part in starting all this, but we have a huge game on sunday so could we focus on the game and not the consent of the FAPL.

I think Sami Hyypia should play. Adebayor is a strong threat in the air and the big Finn would be a major asset in preventing that. van Persie has looked better of late though and could expose his lack of pace.

Mascherano will need to keep a close eye on Fabregas, who pulls the strings in midfield for them.

No Walcott is good as I reckon he'd slaughter Dossena - who I wouldn't pick myself, but I suspect Rafa will. Actually, Aurelio is back...

SQUADS:

Arsenal (from): Almunia, Sagna, Nasri, Gallas, Djourou, Clichy, Denilson, Fabregas, Song, Diaby, Wilshere, Eboue, Fabianski, Vela, Ramsey, Van Persie, Adebayor, Bendtner.

Liverpool (from): Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Agger, Dossena, Aurelio, Babel, Benayoun, Gerrard, Mascherano, Lucas, Alonso, Riera, Kuyt, Keane, Ngog, Cavalieri, Insua, El Zhar.

Being a fan of a football club does kind of make you biased towards them......

If you let it. People need to be more honest in their assessment of players and not just slap hyperbole all over Reds...
      « Last Edit: Dec 20, 2008 12:30:43 am by Venison 86 »

Quick Reply