Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Newcastle v Liverpool: Match Thread

Read 33443 times
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Re: Newcastle v Liverpool: Match Thread
      Reply #230: Dec 28, 2008 04:33:53 pm
      I watched the game until it was 3-1 to us then I lost the stream, but think this is the best performance i've seen from the team for la while !
      The recent draws have been a bit of a worry but we're top for the year end just finding our feet (performance wise )!
      I'm not going to say how I think the season will end up but lets take one game at a time and see whats happened when May comes.
      For once we have the squad to go the distance, for me the 3 games to worry about are against Manure, Chel$ki and the Arse but we'll hopefully be out of reach by the time they come around !
      everybody was complaining about the goal difference but our last two games have shown that its not a concern.
      HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !
      And heres to a prosperous and hopefully fruitfull 2009 !
      « Last Edit: Dec 28, 2008 06:02:43 pm by frizzby5 »
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #231: Dec 28, 2008 04:37:55 pm
      To make things more wonderful. Fulham held Chelsea to a draw. Let's hope United slip up! ;D.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #232: Dec 28, 2008 04:44:11 pm
      We were excellent today. What made it more sweet was that it was without Torres, Skrtel (who did come on) nor Keane. At the minute, the league does make for good reading, but lets not get too carries away. There are a lot of games left (18 to be exact), and we still have to play Chelsea at home, Manure Away and Arsenal at home. Tough matches including the ones against the so called "lesser" teams. Are next two matches are Stke away and Neverwon at home so it could be an interesting couple of weeks for us. On top of that, i believe that United play Chelsea at Old Trafford. The games in hand for United dont necessarily mean definate points so fingers crossed. Come on Boro tomorrow night.
      koppiteal
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      • CMON THE REDS
      Reply #233: Dec 28, 2008 04:55:04 pm
      yeah will deffo be shouting for boro tomorrow night,mostly just o annoy ne brother who is a manc fan. Oh the shame of it
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #234: Dec 28, 2008 05:00:35 pm
      I just like to praise out squad player and today we shown we do have depth in the squad. Many times the only time depth comes up is when we lose or drew games saying that the team lacks depth etc etc.

Lucas, Yossi, Babel, Insua and Sami are all players who are no regulars yet they had a very good showing in the game today and looked every bit the part as strong as our best line-up.

Of coarse the more established players like Gerrard who had his best game all season, Kuyt who really hold the ball up quite well today and made some nice plays while Carra and Agger were both very good.

I think now with our next fixture in the Premiership not until the 11th it will be good to rest up after a crazy and productive last couple of weeks.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #235: Dec 28, 2008 05:07:00 pm
      I just like to praise out squad player and today we shown we do have depth in the squad. Many times the only time depth comes up is when we lose or drew games saying that the team lacks depth etc etc.

Lucas, Yossi, Babel, Insua and Sami are all players who are no regulars yet they had a very good showing in the game today and looked every bit the part as strong as our best line-up.

Of coarse the more established players like Gerrard who had his best game all season, Kuyt who really hold the ball up quite well today and made some nice plays while Carra and Agger were both very good.

I think now with our next fixture in the Premiership not until the 11th it will be good to rest up after a crazy and productive last couple of weeks.

11th? close enough mate, its the 10th

Thats gutting though, cause i would have liked another league match more sooner but the lads need a rest. Just make sure you come back after beating Preston (hopefully) refreashed and ready for a fight for the title
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #236: Dec 28, 2008 05:19:49 pm
      great performance again today by the lads
        would have liked  that next saturday would be a league game instead of FA cup vs Preston   so the lads would keep the very good momentum they have at the moment .BUt i am sure Rafa and sammy  will see to that
                   YNWA
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      • With hope in your heart...
      Reply #237: Dec 28, 2008 05:20:21 pm
      Im just too happy! Gerrard is KING!
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #238: Dec 28, 2008 05:40:55 pm
      Forgot to mention, anyone else see the relief on Babels face to get a goal today. Priceless. You would have thought he had scored a screamer
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #239: Dec 28, 2008 05:42:48 pm
      Everyone played decent except for Babel, Lucas played very well IMO.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #240: Dec 28, 2008 05:54:38 pm
      Still buzzing off today's result.  I thought we were World Class today.  I know it's only Newcastle but we made them look a lot more average than they were.

The only shame is that we didn't record a completely ridiculous scoreline against them.

Well played to every single Liverpool player today.  I thought they were all superb.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #241: Dec 28, 2008 06:10:26 pm
      I remember when we beat them away last season 3-0, that wa a really good performance and totally dismantled them. Maybe that is starting to become a very good place to play for us now :D
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #242: Dec 28, 2008 06:12:54 pm
      I remember when we beat them away last season 3-0, that wa a really good performance and totally dismantled them. Maybe that is starting to become a very good place to play for us now :D

I was thinking that myself earlier. We generally play very well agaisnt Newcastle, at Anfield or St James'
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #243: Dec 28, 2008 06:36:12 pm
      Anyone check out Sammy's post match interview with the BBC? Absolute class that man, knows what to say and when to say it.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #244: Dec 28, 2008 06:43:45 pm
      Just got home been out for the day second game ive missed and we score 8 goals cant be bad well done lads ,im off out now for a few swift ones be back later .
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #245: Dec 28, 2008 06:49:16 pm
      What will it take to make you miss the remainder of the season ! ;D
      rafasgoons
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #246: Dec 28, 2008 06:54:58 pm
      Emphatic victory! really got me buzzing. Think every one played really well today lucas, insua, kuyt, mascherano and not to mention gerrard, alonso, agger, carra.

Lucas showing improvement, was strong in the tackles, good ariel ability and should have had a goal if not for shay given, great early ball to gerrard for the 4th goal. Still needs to work in certain areas, gave away  one or two silly free kicks today.

Babel was average against an average newcastle side and I think apart from the goal he scored( and celebrated as if he had scored a screamer) he did little to  displace riera and warrant his place in the starting eleven.

Insua was looking quite comfortable today as new caslte struggled for possession but his real test came when duff switched on to the right skinned past him and put in a dangerous low cross. tbh it had me a bit worried though one can argue that duff is a quality winger and can beat even the best of defenders.

Lot of positives to take from todays game and litle negetives like riena looked a bit shakey today and the manner  and time in which we let them a goal it happned against bolton at the reebok also though it was ruled for offside.  all in all one of the best displays by us today and sent out a strong message to the rest of the teams.
      Next up stoke(a) and neverton(h) Keep the momentum going boys!!
      ArkansasRed
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts |
      Reply #247: Dec 28, 2008 06:58:57 pm
      What a perfect way to end the year. Couldn't ask for more than that (I know it should've been about 12-1, but I won't be too greedy :D )

Great momentum going into the second half. Just think, we're three points clear and haven't had the best striker in the world for most of the season.

Gonna be a long time before I come down from this. What a great day. Well done to all the players.
      KOPMKD
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 129 posts |
      Reply #248: Dec 28, 2008 07:35:23 pm
      I have no words for our performance!!!We are getting in top gear,just in right time!!!With NANDO back in 2009,we'll make a boring rest of the season ;)
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,122 posts | 450 
      Reply #249: Dec 28, 2008 07:35:39 pm
      That I think was the most commanding performance since the Besiktas game.  I was a bit worried with the inclusion of Lucas, but like most have said before me, probably the best performance so far for the youngster. We totally annihilated them especially in the first half an hour until the goal.  Newcastle are not a bad side of late, I just feel that we just made them look that way.

It was nice to give a rest to Gerrard and Riera as both will be vital in the coming month, even though they don’t really deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence, but then again who in football can really stand shoulder to shoulder with our captain best attacking performance of the season for him, got a standing ovation from the Geordies can’t remember that happening before.  Deserved a hatrick for the performance, but overall everyone played very well except Reina who didn’t look at his usual best.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #250: Dec 28, 2008 07:42:09 pm
      A++   today boys great to watch now they all know who they are going to have to beat ,bring them all on ,I was jumping about the boozer like a kid great day f....n great day . Lucas was superb Stevie G , Benni , Mash , Xabi when he come  big Sammy ,,now for a curry and a few more cans .
      Thanks boys and well done.
      collector
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts |
      Reply #251: Dec 28, 2008 07:50:01 pm
      loved evry minute of the match we were so well organized the best part is that we are still first and chelski made a draw vs Fulham ;]
      rafasgoons
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #252: Dec 28, 2008 07:55:23 pm
      got a standing ovation from the Geordies can’t remember that happening before. 
      no he did get one last year in the 3-0 victory at st james', read this:

Equally capable of overcoming Newcastle with his physical and his footballing qualities, Gerrard's eventual tally included two goals and two assists. He was too good for Newcastle and, for a second successive season at St James' Park, a section of their support granted him a standing ovation.

source: espn soccernet

Quick Reply