Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Lorik Cana (Marseille)

Read 3490 times
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Lorik Cana (Marseille)
      Apr 30, 2009 02:14:20 pm
      Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is lining up a shock move for Marseille skipper Lorik Cana – in case Xabi Alonso is sold in the summer.

Benitez is a big fan of the Albanian international whose style is identical to Spanish playmaker Alonso’s and he has been making inquiries about him in the past few days.

The Kop chief has contacted Anfield old boy Bolo Zenden to ask about Cana’s personality and the Kop spies have also been compiling a hefty dossier on the combative and clever midfielder.

Cana would cost around £10million, which comes with Benitez’s budget – especially if the interest in Alonso from Juventus and possibly Arsenal comes to a head.

The 25-year-old was born in war-torn Pristina in Yugoslavia but fled to Albania along with his family. His dad was a former Yugoslav international but Lorik opted for his adopted homeland.Since joining Marseille Cana has progressed into one of the most respected midfielders in France, and Liverpool saw him at first hand in their Champions League clashes this season.

Marseille are on the brink of a sensational title success in France, with Cana playing a major part, although hard-man coach Eric Gerets has left him out occasionally.

Benitez would love to snap up Cana whether midfield schemer Alonso goes or not. He would be ideal to bring into his squad in either outcome.

The interest in Cana does not cut across any move for Aston Villa’s Gareth Barry.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/04/30/liverpool-line-up-marseille-s-lorik-cana-to-replace-xabi-alonso-115875-21319475/

I like Cana but the idea of selling Alonso does not sit with me well
      Bowlesy88
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 200 posts |
      Re: Lorik Cana (Marseille)
      Reply #1: Apr 30, 2009 02:54:49 pm
      same, xabi has been great this season, shame to lose him, but on the other hand if a bidding war erupted between real, arsenal and juve then, and we managed to get 20 - 25 million for him, i think we'd have to take it
      thedagger
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts |
      Reply #2: Apr 30, 2009 05:28:05 pm
      yes, lorik is good, i saw him at some matches but i think Barry is better than Cana. i think Cana can´t replace Xabi
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #3: Apr 30, 2009 05:35:00 pm
      Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is lining up a shock move for Marseille skipper Lorik Cana – in case Xabi Alonso is sold in the summer.
      In case Xabi Alonso is sold? Can't we just not sell him?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #4: Apr 30, 2009 05:35:53 pm
      In case Xabi Alonso is sold? Can't we just not sell him?

My thoughts exactly.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #5: Apr 30, 2009 08:23:16 pm
      Come on how can we expect this lad to replace Xabi, Cana is a decent player in France that is all, if we are going to start replacing players of the calibre of Xabi with players of the calibre of Cana, its going to be a long long time before we are going to compete with Utd, I hope this story is just a rumour being spread by Cana agent to get him a better contract.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #6: Apr 30, 2009 08:25:13 pm
      Is this the lad who scored against us in the Champions League this season?
      john jones
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #7: Apr 30, 2009 08:44:16 pm
      Cana may be a good player but Alonso is better and should not leave.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #8: Apr 30, 2009 09:04:22 pm
      Is this the lad who scored against us in the Champions League this season?

Aye. Very good player from what I've seen. Not as good as Xabi though.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #9: Apr 30, 2009 10:46:28 pm
      Really want to dismiss this.

I'll not be pleased if Xabi goes, not one bit.

No one can replace him.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #10: Apr 30, 2009 10:58:20 pm
      Cana is a solid player, but nothing compared to Xabi
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #11: May 01, 2009 08:28:32 am
      Selling Xabi just doesnt make any sense to me.

It didnt make much sense last season but it was more reasonable since Xabi didnt have the best 07/08 season, but now they keep talking about that??? Alonso was amazing this season and selling him would be a mistake. A big mistake.

As for Cana, he seems to be a good player, I liked him when I had the chance to watch him.
      Thor
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #12: May 02, 2009 04:37:00 pm
      I think it's difficult to compare Cana and Xabi Alonso.

Cana is a cult player for Marseille. A true hero. He's a very strong warrior and a leader, while Xabi is a playmaker. The skill level of Xabi is without a doubt higher than Cana's, and I'd say Xabi is a more useful player for Liverpool, even though Cana could perhaps arrive as a replacement for Leiva?

Cana vs Gareth Barry? Well, Barry is much more versatile than Cana and because of that, Barry would probably be more useful to have in the squad, as there are so many great central midfielders in the current Liverpool squad.
      tedward78
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 204 posts | -5 
      Reply #13: May 02, 2009 08:18:48 pm
      Cana vs Gareth Barry? Well, Barry is much more versatile than Cana and because of that, Barry would probably be more useful to have in the squad, as there are so many great central midfielders in the current Liverpool squad.

But I've heard somewhere that Cana can play centre back and centre midfield, so he would be a handy player to have.
      Thor
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #14: May 02, 2009 11:16:51 pm
      But I've heard somewhere that Cana can play centre back and centre midfield, so he would be a handy player to have.
      Yes, Cana can play centre back if needed.
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Reply #15: Jul 25, 2009 01:37:49 pm
      Sunderland boss Steve Bruce has confirmed the £5million signing of midfielder Lorik Cana from Marseille on a four-year deal.

The Albanian international was the French outfit's captain and Bruce believes he has pulled off a major coup having beat off a number of top clubs to land the 25-year-old.

"I'm delighted to have brought Lorik to the club, especially given the number of clubs who had expressed an interest in signing him," Bruce told the club's official website.

"He brings with him a tremendous amount of experience both at club level and internationally and is a great addition to our squad.

"To captain a side of Marseille's stature says a lot about the player and his character, and I'm sure he'll go on to be a fantastic signing for Sunderland."

The defence-minded anchorman has previously had a spell at Paris St Germain while also accumulating 31 caps for his country.

He becomes Bruce's third signing since taking the reigns at the Stadium of Light in June.
      « Last Edit: Jul 25, 2009 02:12:58 pm by cezar_sl »
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #16: Jul 25, 2009 01:40:56 pm
      Sunderland boss Steve Bruce has confirmed the £5million signing of midfielder Lorik Cana from Marseille on a four-year deal.

The Albanian international was the French outfit's captain and Bruce believes he has pulled off a major coup having beat off a number of top clubs to land the 25-year-old.

"I'm delighted to have brought Lorik to the club, especially given the number of clubs who had expressed an interest in signing him," Bruce told the club's official website.

"He brings with him a tremendous amount of experience both at club level and internationally and is a great addition to our squad.

"To captain a side of Marseille's stature says a lot about the player and his character, and I'm sure he'll go on to be a fantastic signing for Sunderland."

The defence-minded anchorman has previously had a spell at Paris St Germain while also accumulating 31 caps for his country.

He becomes Bruce's third signing since taking the reigns at the Stadium of Light in June.

Tooopic Looocked? :P
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Reply #17: Jul 25, 2009 01:44:13 pm
      I allready reported it.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #18: Jul 25, 2009 01:44:52 pm
      I know ... I quoted it :lmao:
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Reply #19: Jul 25, 2009 01:47:44 pm
      I mean I reported the topic to a mod so he can close it...
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #20: Jul 25, 2009 02:30:03 pm
      £5million? They supposedly wanted £10million+ from us.

Topic locked.

Quick Reply