Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Gerrard to be charged with affray

Read 36293 times
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: Gerrard Arrested For Alleged Assault!!
      Reply #23: Dec 29, 2008 12:07:34 pm
      My take on this is that one of his mates probably went off on one for God knows what, and the police have been called. It's simple. All it basically is is guilt by association - which is not bad at all.
      Chitose
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 176 posts | -18 
      Reply #24: Dec 29, 2008 12:10:08 pm
      Another echo:

England and Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard has been arrested on suspicion of assault, a police source said on Monday.

Gerrard, 28, was one of six men arrested in the early hours of the morning after police were called to a disturbance at a bar in Southport, north-west England.

Merseyside Police confirmed they had arrested a 28-year-old man from the Formby area of Liverpool on suspicion of assault and said he remained in police custody.

The other five men arrested, also for assault, all came from Liverpool and were aged 33, 31, 29, 19 and 18.

Police said a 34-year-old man from Southport, north of Liverpool, was taken to hospital with facial injuries.

A Liverpool spokesman said the club would not comment on the matter.

Gerrard scored twice in a man-of-the-match performance in Sunday's 5-1 Premier League victory at Newcastle United.

(souce: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=605757&sec=england&cc=4716)

Merseyside Police confirmed they had arrested a 28-year-old man from the Formby area of Liverpool on suspicion of assault and said he remained in police custody.

It's still in doubt mates! I would never believe that Gerrard might get intentionally involved in something that might get him hurt, he's a professional player, he know well that's very unprofessinal for a player to risk his leg in a fight, specially now when we're in the top and he just hailed it's the best Liverpool team that he ever played in! He was arrested with another 5 and I think that all the things he was doing at the time is to stop somes of those five from the battle, and since he's in this group, he was arrested, that's all! Even in the field, we hardly see him start a fight, It's too long ago since the last time Gerrard was involved in a fight in the field! I think tomorrow, everything will be clear. There was a time that Gerrard was reported to be a big drinker who spended 14 hours in bars, but in the end, it's just rumours! I think we should believe in Gerrard's manner!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #25: Dec 29, 2008 12:12:43 pm
      I real hate the f***in The S** and their people. Because my father was surfing in the Bullshit-S** website & he pressed in gerrard arrested article and i looked at it for a moment and  i saw a some article 'if you was in the bar or something' they can inform them.
      F**k off The S** & let don't buy the S** company continue for many years till the earth is destried.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #26: Dec 29, 2008 12:13:13 pm
      I really wouldn't have thought Gerrard was the type.  Probably high-jinks.

Will wait for further information me thinks.  This is what happens when he hangs around with the Huyton mob! ;)
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #27: Dec 29, 2008 12:13:38 pm
      It's only suspected of assault. I highly doubt he'll do that.

Anyone who has read his autobiography would know that Stevie isn't that type of person. He was brought up in a good family. Hopefully everything goes well for him. He doesn't even fight on the field anymore.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Steven Gerrard Arrested!
      Reply #28: Dec 29, 2008 12:45:10 pm
      Liverpool's Steven Gerrard arrested over assaultReuters, Monday December 29 2008 (Adds club response)
      LONDON, Dec 29 (Reuters) - England and Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard was arrested on Monday suspicion of assault, a police source said.
      Gerrard, 28, was one of six men arrested in the early hours of the morning after police were called to a fight at a bar in Southport, to the north of Liverpool in north west England.
      Merseyside Police confirmed they had arrested a 28-year-old man from the Formby area north of Liverpool on suspicion of assault and said he remained in police custody.
      The other five men arrested, also for assault, all came from Liverpool and were aged 33, 31, 29, 19 and 18.
      Police said a 34-year-old man from Southport was taken to hospital with facial injuries.
      Gerrard scored twice in Sunday's 5-1 Premier League victory over Newcastle United.
      A spokeswoman for Liverpool FC declined to comment. "The club is making no comment whatsoever," she said

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/feedarticle/8170163

:o :o :o

Wow there really has to be more to it then this! It is so out of chartacter for Stevie to do this he is a family man!

Yet this has me really worried and im a tad shocked also!!!

I hope and pray to God he is cleared of any wrong doing.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #29: Dec 29, 2008 03:54:22 pm
      Update - 3.30pm

The alleged victim of a nightclub brawl for which footballer Steven Gerrard was arrested is a DJ there, police sources confirmed today.

The Liverpool star remains in police custody after the 34-year-old Southport man was taken to hospital with facial injuries.

Sources confirmed the man was an employee of the Lounge Inn, in Southport, Merseyside, where the midfielder and five other men were arrested on suspicion of assault in the early hours of today.

Gerrard's wife, Alex Curran, left a coffee shop close to the police station where Gerrard was being questioned shortly after 2.30pm.

She refused to answer questions from reporters as she walked to her Bentley car and then drove off in the opposite direction from the police station, heading towards Liverpool.

The sister of the Lounge Inn co-owner, Dario Curcillo, said the footballer had been in the club to celebrate his team’s win over Newcastle United earlier in the day.

She said: “As far as I know he comes here regularly and it was just a normal night at the bar.”

She added that her brother was unavailable for comment.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #30: Dec 30, 2008 01:29:41 am
      From The Telegraph

By Richard Bright
      Last Updated: 12:53AM GMT 30 Dec 2008

Steven Gerrard released from custody after questioning over alleged brawl

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is unlikely to face a Football Association or club charge following his arrest in a Merseyside bar.

Gerrard - who was released by police at 11.25 last night - has been arrested with five other men after an alleged brawl in a Southport night club, during which a man suffered facial injuries and was taken to hospital. The row allegedly began over the choice of music being played in the bar.

The England player, who was thought to be out celebrating his club's 5-1 win over Newcastle on Sunday, is expected to be free to lead his side out to face Preston in the FA Cup next weekend, unless he is rested by manager Rafael Benitez. No other Liverpool players are thought to be among those being interviewed by police.

The FA and Liverpool have so far declined to comment but they are expected to treat this as a personal matter for Gerrard.

Liverpool lead the Premier League and after scoring two goals against Newcastle, Gerrard said that it was important to deal with the pressures that came with a title challenge.

Gerrard has been a key part of Liverpool's push for a first title in almost 20 years, having scored eight Premier League goals this season. He has also been an influential member of Fabio Capello's reinvigorated England side, who have made an unbeaten start to their World Cup qualifying campaign.

The midfielder has previously made the headlines over off-the-pitch events.

At the end of last year, Gerrard's wife, Alex Curran, was held as masked men burgled their house while he was on Champions League duty.

Yawn. End of that bollocks then I assume.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,014 posts | 3352 
      Reply #31: Dec 30, 2008 01:44:17 am
      I love Stevie to bits, best player I've ever seen live and can't believe for one minute he'd assault somebody but if it is true that he's assaulted this DJ fella then I hope to God he gets similar treatment to what happened to Barton. Barton took a lot of stick on this forum, from a lot of other people, none more so than my good self and I'll be happy to give Stevie similar criticism if he's found guilty of any wrong doings.

When you're a professional footballer you have a responsibilty to be a professional on and off the pitch. With millions of people (not just kids either) idolising you and worshiping you, it's massively important you are that professional. You are the role model for these people so you have a duty not to go round getting involved in incidencts such as this. Like I've already said I doubt Stevie would do such a thing because he doesn't seem that type of person whereas just by the way Barton "plays" the game you can tell he's a thug. So thankfully I don't think I will have to bad mouth our captain and now he's been released without any further repremands from the FA (at the moment) it looks like he's in the clear.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #32: Dec 30, 2008 01:46:04 am
      I'd take a step back from the fire DLS.

As I understand Gerrard hasn't been charged with any offence.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #33: Dec 30, 2008 01:46:50 am
      I love Stevie to bits, best player I've ever seen live and can't believe for one minute he'd assault somebody but if it is true that he's assaulted this DJ fella then I hope to God he gets similar treatment to what happened to Barton. Barton took a lot of stick on this forum, from a lot of other people, none more so than my good self and I'll be happy to give Stevie similar criticism if he's found guilty of any wrong doings.

When you're a professional footballer you have a responsibilty to be a professional on and off the pitch. With millions of people (not just kids either) idolising you and worshiping you, it's massively important you are that professional. You are the role model for these people so you have a duty not to go round getting involved in incidencts such as this. Like I've already said I doubt Stevie would do such a thing because he doesn't seem that type of person whereas just by the way Barton "plays" the game you can tell he's a thug. So thankfully I don't think I will have to bad mouth our captain and now he's been released without any further repremands from the FA (at the moment) it looks like he's in the clear.

I dont think he would have been released unless he was 100% clear so no need to worry mate :)
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #34: Dec 30, 2008 01:49:28 am
      Thank god he's innocent. I really love this captain of ours. I, too very much doubt that he's that type of person. He rarely or in fact never argues on the pitch since he took the armband. He's a family man and I don't think he'll assault anyone.
      TommyLoft
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Reply #35: Dec 30, 2008 02:20:47 am
      Thank God for that.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #36: Dec 30, 2008 02:37:19 am
      well perhaps his mates were blacked out,steve doesnt seem to be of bad character. thank god the facts coming out will be positive because liverpools title hopes would be jepordized a lot. for incidents like this something can be learnt. seems to be a familar story of footballers at drinking establisments and icidents  happening in the wee hours of the morning.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #37: Dec 30, 2008 03:02:55 am
      I would love to hear El capitano's or any of his comrades side of the story as to what sparked it off. Especially with the DJ being a manc.........no doubt he saw ££££££ 
      Chitose
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 176 posts | -18 
      Reply #38: Dec 30, 2008 04:14:08 am
      Echo:

Liverpool captain Gerrard charged with assault

England and Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard was charged Tuesday with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray following an alleged nightclub brawl, Merseyside police said.

The Reds captain was charged along with two other men who had also been arrested after a "disturbance" outside a late-night bar in Southport, Merseyside in the early hours of yesterday morning.

The venue's DJ, a 34-year-old local man, required hospital treatment after suffering facial injuries.

Gerrard, 28, was released from Southport police station early this morning.

He was at the restaurant and bar -- which turns into a nightclub -- with friends to celebrate Liverpool's 5-1 win over Newcastle.

In a statement, a Merseyside Police spokesman said: "Merseyside Police has charged Steven Gerrard, 28 years, of Formby, Sefton, John Doran, 29, and Ian Smith, 19 years, both from Huyton, Liverpool, with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray following an incident at Bold Street in Southport in the early hours of Monday, Dec. 29.

"The three men will be appearing at North Sefton Magistrates' Court on Jan. 23.''

The spokesman said Gerrard and the two other men had been bailed and three other men who were arrested in connection with the incident were released on police bail pending further inquiries.

After the game on Sunday the Reds' captain, who scored twice, hailed his table-topping side as the best he has played in.

But several hours later he was apparently caught up in an altercation outside the Lounge Inn in Bold Street.

Police were called and arrested six men on suspicion of assault in nearby Lord Street.

The town centre business remained shut yesterday but evidence of a fight inside could be seen through the windows.

Spots of blood were clearly visible on the floor, along with shards of broken glass.

Gerrard has been capped by England 70 times and has captained his country on four occasions.

He was made an MBE last year and received an honorary fellowship from Liverpool John Moores University.

Liverpool's next match is against Preston in the FA Cup on Saturday.

(source: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=605890&sec=england&cc=4716)

Well, seem like he was involved along with two others mans and he'll be charged, the others 3 seem to be clear! I wonder what could make him be involved with a fight like that, that they can even see the disaster and blood spot through the window. The police doesn't inform more about the detail and Gerrard will have to face the count in 23rd January. I hope he didn't do anything wrong, no one in a million of his fans would believe he can assault someone without any good reasons, may be that DJ insult Liverpool or mocking of the fact that we are ruling the table (if he did, he's probably a Manchester United's fan). Well, I wonder why they don't give any further informations! I would never believe that Gerrard can get involved directly with a fight like that, even if he was drunk! At least he was released, even if he has to face the count, he can find a good lawyer and witness to prove his innocence.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #39: Dec 30, 2008 04:17:37 am
      Ok now he has been charged  with assault and affray also due to appear in court on the 23rd of January. So he is far from inoccent now I am gutted at this and can not help to wonder how this will shake the club now. Instead of enjoying being on top of the table and hitting excellent form we have now given the media a decade worth of ammunition to hammer us with!!

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #40: Dec 30, 2008 04:37:41 am
      Teaches him a lesson to stay home when we win the premier league!
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #41: Dec 30, 2008 05:01:14 am
      From The Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article5415935.ece

Steven Gerrard charged after brawl

The England footballer Steven Gerrard was charged early this morning with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray following an alleged nightclub brawl, Merseyside police said.

The Liverpool captain was charged with two other men who had also been arrested after a "disturbance” outside a late-night bar in Southport, Merseyside in the early hours of yesterday.

Gerrard, who has 70 caps for his country, was celebrating at the club in Southport when trouble broke out at about 2.30am on Monday.

It is understood that the alleged victim, Marcus McGee, who was a DJ at the club, was sitting behind the bar when Gerrard asked him to change the music. He is then said to have asked for the music card that operates the sound system. Mr McGee apparently refused.

Gerrard and five other men aged between 18 and 33 were arrested after the row. The Liverpool player was released from custody early this morning.

Mr McGee, a father of two who is thought to be a supporter of Liverpool’s great rival, Manchester United, was taken to hospital, where he received treatment for facial injuries before being released. His family said that he suffered a cut nose and swollen eye and was given four stitches. He also lost a tooth.

Gerrard, 28, who is married with two children, is understood to have been given permission by his club to attend the private party, hours after he had scored two goals in Liverpool’s 5-1 demolition of Newcastle United.

Staff at Liverpool FC declined to comment officially about the incident. He has the reputation of being a model professional who rarely drinks, and even more rarely stays out late.

Gerrard, who has captained England four times and is regarded as one of the world’s best midfielders, was appointed MBE last year and received an honorary fellowship from Liverpool John Moores University Sources at the club suggested that Rafael BenÍtez, the club manager and a noted disciplinarian, would take disciplinary action only if Gerrard were charged with any offence. The footballer is due to play on Saturday, when Liverpool take on Preston North End in the FA Cup third round.

The Lounge Inn, a restaurant that becomes a nightclub later in the evening, remained firmly closed yesterday despite continuing to advertise its New Year’s Eve menu at £59.95, but spots of blood were clearly visible on the floor, surrounded by shards of glass.

Mr McGee’s mother, Patricia McGee, 61, said last night: “He was only with his partner in the bar. I have absolutely no idea how he became involved in this. He was just out for a drink. The whole family is shaken up.”

John Watts, a lawyer whose daughter Eve was hosting a birthday party at the venue, said that Gerrard had been in good spirits during the night. He said: “He bought a bottle of champagne for my daughter when he found out it was her birthday. It was a really civilised occasion in a middle-class bar.”
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #42: Dec 30, 2008 12:08:46 pm
      Topic unlocked.

HOWEVER...

Do NOT speculate on what may or may not have happened as none of us were there.
      « Last Edit: Dec 30, 2008 12:16:28 pm by JD »
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #43: Dec 30, 2008 12:18:19 pm
      From the official website:

LFC STATEMENT ON STEVEN GERRARD

Liverpool Football Club today pledged its full support to skipper Steven Gerrard following the events of the past 48 hours.

A statement from the club said: "Steven has been an outstanding servant to Liverpool for the last 10 years and the club will give him all the support he needs at this time."
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #44: Dec 30, 2008 12:19:40 pm
      Even if it's not true, it'll affect everyone :(
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #45: Dec 30, 2008 12:28:41 pm
      Ok now he has been charged  with assault and affray also due to appear in court on the 23rd of January. So he is far from inoccent

I'm sorry mate but Innocent is exactly what he is until a court says otherwise, does every charge ever brought by the Police stand up in court? if it did their crime clear up rates would be fantastic.
      I agree the fact it is going to court is worrying as the Police obviously feel they have a case that can be proved at a later date but for me until the full facts of who did what to who come out in court Stevie G should get the full support of the fans, i am also pleased the club have issued a short statement saying they will give him all the support he needs.

Best wishes to the lad who was hurt and i hope he makes a full recovery and i also hope to hear how he received those injuries if and when all is revealed in court.

Quick Reply