Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Should Stevie be put back in the middle

Read 5227 times
      mingles
      • Forum Matt Busby
      • Started Topic

• 128 posts |
      • GOD, THE NATION AND LIVERPOOL
      Oct 24, 2006 11:25:29 am
      hi everyone, i think our captain is not finding it easy on the wings this season around. Benitez should probably try him in the middle to see if it works out for him.It will be dissastrous for us the fans if Steven is uncomfortable the whole season in a particular position.

He may have second thoughts of staying if we fail in our bid to claim silver ware this season.We should have beaten Man U.I hate it it Ferdinand gets the last laugh..... :twisted:

I hope we rediscover our scoring form against a Reading side which is becoming a tough to beat
      michellelfc
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts |
      Reply #1: Oct 24, 2006 04:00:31 pm
      I agree stevie G should be put back in the middle.Rafa has to be tougher and drop alonso or momo-which i dread saying ,but it has to be done,stevie needs to be in his best position..... :D
      Rushie
      • Forum John Toshack

• 255 posts | -3 
      Reply #2: Oct 24, 2006 04:15:26 pm
      To be honest Stevie G hasn't looked great in the middle either yet this season.  I think if he had been at the top of his game then playing out wide he would have played well there as well and none of this garbage about rotation would have even cropped up.

Everyone's only going on about it cos the results have been against us.

But we have played United, Chelsea and Everton away.  We didn't have those three games in our first 9 last season.

Let's hope we can kick on now, irrespective of where Stevie G plays.  I just want him to return to form.

Reading have been tough to play against this season so we will need to be at the top of our game tomorrow especially with a slightly weakened team.

Come on you red men.
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Reply #3: Oct 24, 2006 04:45:12 pm
      well the centre is stevie's favorite possition and hes playing on the wing we are going to get the best out of him in the middle with his runs on and of the ball and his exelant passing ability so the anser is ................play him in the middle
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #4: Oct 24, 2006 04:56:29 pm
      According to Me, yes. I would have Stevie back in the middle for us.
      Give Alonso a little rest for a few games.
      However, those of you might of spotted Phil Thompson's article on the Skysports website. That we should have him back in the middle for us.
      YNWA
      Mickey LFC4Ever
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts | -6 
      Reply #5: Oct 24, 2006 04:56:36 pm
      the midfield should b

Gonzalez    Alonso        Gerrard    Pennant

and put sissoko on when alonso or gerrard are injured or need rested
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #6: Oct 24, 2006 05:01:16 pm
      Sorry Mickey but Sissoko has been arguably our best player this season.

No way you can leave him out. He is filling the old Didi Hamann role to perfection.

It's probably Alonso who should be dropped if you want to put SG in the middle.

But Rafa has just said that he intends to keep Stevie on the right so what do we know.

Quote from: "BBC Sport Website"
      Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez insists he will continue to play Steven Gerrard on the right side of midfield.

Sunday's defeat by Manchester United left Liverpool 11 points adrift of the leaders in the Premiership title race.

And there have been reports that Gerrard is not happy with the role he is being asked to play.

But Benitez told BBC Five Live Sport: "He's as happy as he is in the national team. He's playing for England boss Steve McClaren on the right side."

He continued: "Steve McClaren is clever, he knows the best season of Steven Gerrard was playing as a right winger going inside, not as a right winger close to the touchline, and scoring 23 goals.

"Steven is the captain, he knows the most important thing is the club, the supporters and, if he plays on the right side, going inside with freedom, and Momo Sissoko and Xabi Alonso can give the balance to the team. He knows that is better for the team."

Liverpool will look to return to winning ways in the Carling Cup on Wednesday night when Reading are the visitors to Anfield.

But Benitez insisted he was happier with the way the team has been performing, compared to 12 months ago.

"Last season was worse for me. We started with a lot of problems in the Premier League and were 24 points behind," he said.

Benitez will rotate his squad for the visit of Steve Coppell's side and confirmed that striker Robbie Fowler will be in the side after overcoming a back problem.

"When we decided to bring Robbie here, we knew he was a very good finisher and could do the job for us because he had a lot of passion," he commented.

"He knows he has some players in front of him this season but he can do a good job for us because he is a fan, not just a player, and he must support his team-mates and the young players and be an example for them."
      brianrson
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #7: Oct 24, 2006 08:07:47 pm
      rafa needs to stop putting this off alonso isnt playing well at the moment so there should be no be big debate about this gerrard has done so much already for this club he deserves his chance in the middle,lets face facts things arent working so lets try something we know dat works which is gerrard in the middle of the park running the show, if alonso is up to it he will fight for his place back or maybe give sissoko a run for his money but gerrard needs to be back in the centre no question
      liverbobs
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #8: Oct 25, 2006 12:49:55 am
      Where to play Stevie G?  

Barcelona or Real Madrid.   Possibly even United.  

If LFC don't get there act together quickly, he'll be gone this summer, or next at the latest.
      liverbobs
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #9: Oct 25, 2006 02:18:30 am
      The only reason Gerrard is playing out of position so much is because of the shortcomings at those positions.

If LFC were so good at the other positions, Gerrards would play at his natural position.

Until better players come in on the right, you'll suffer and Kewell is not the answer.  Not now, tomorrow, or ever.
      Brighty 7
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #10: Oct 25, 2006 01:36:10 pm
      to put it plainly we are playing the best player on the planet out of position surely any sensible manager would sort that out.Even if alonso or sissoko have to be sacraficed BUT stevie MUST play in the middle :!:
      brianrson
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #11: Oct 25, 2006 04:11:02 pm
      listen i think the team isnt playing well at the moment mainly because alonso isnt playing well sure we have other problems in other areas but this is the main issue and the only way to solve it is to play gerrard in the middle at least till we get up and running,his range of passing,his stamina and his ability to score goals on a regular basis make this an obvious answer to our problems......is this not common sense surely?????
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #12: Oct 25, 2006 06:20:45 pm
      Quote from: "Footie Fan"
      Where to play Stevie G?  

Barcelona or Real Madrid.   Possibly even United.  

If LFC don't get there act together quickly, he'll be gone this summer, or next at the latest.

You're right, GET HIM BACK IN THE F***ing MIDDLE  :shock:
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #13: Oct 28, 2006 05:34:53 pm
      I think today showed that he doesn't need to be in the middle.

Momo and Xabi were my men of the match today.
      fanatic dee
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 114 posts |
      Reply #14: Oct 28, 2006 08:47:35 pm
      The game against the scum proved that Rafa needs to pick either Alonso or Momo in the middle especially for the bigger games. You can probably get away with it against lesser teams, but for top sides you need Stevie G in the middle influencing the game driving forward making things happen, not stuck on the wing or coming inside tripping over two other central midfielders.
         Squad rotation is clearly the policy for what Rafa thinks will stand us in good nick throughout the season right to the end, so accomodating Xabi and Momo game after game does n't hold up.
      It's one or the other for me, simple as, and hopefully we can push on and challenge at the top of the table.
       :) KEEP THE FAITH :)
      chilledoutentertainer
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #15: Oct 29, 2006 07:34:12 pm
      At times when Gerrard is on the right he does not get involved in the game enough. This is not his fault as he is doing his job by offering width, which is what he is meant to do it that position. For large moment of the first half this was the case. Gerrard is our best player and this means he should be given as much of the ball as possible. Which is why I personally feel he should be in the centre. I understand Rafa why plays Gerrard on the right, especially away from home and last season. Now we have Pennant I don't think he should be used there quite as much.

But when he is played on the right and he is not getting involved enough I feel he should bemoved back into the centre.

Not sure whether people like him in the centre or not. Whether they feel he works hard enough defensely, as he does in attack. Well if he doesn't he can be moved or a quick word from Rafa will sort that. If Gerrard wants to play in his favoured position, then he needs to be disciplined at times. When he played in that position with Hamann for years no one so it as a problem. Maybe Gerrard misses the security Hamann would give him centrally. Alonso is a great player, but he isn't half as an effective defensive midfielder than Hamann was. He would give Gerrard the licence to get forward, with Gerrard always getting back to do his job defensive-wise when needed.

When Alonso and Gerrard are partnered in the centre, maybe it is abit more open... but we will also create far more oppotunites. Against the weaker sides in the league at home I think they should be used alot of the time. I'm a massive fan of Sissoko and I would love to see him and Gerrard given a chance in the middle (due to Alonso's inconsistant for thus far, although he isn't alone in this). Sissoko is a beast of a player and if he can make Zenden look good against Chelsea in centre mid, then alongside Gerrard they could be immense.

Sissoko however isn't what I'd classify as a 'holding player'. He doesn't sit infront of a backfour, like Hamann or Makelele would for example. He is very like Viera when he first came to Arsenal. He uses his high energy and presses the opposition winning the ball back. That is why it is often Alondo the deepest midfielder and not Sissoko. If Gerrard was played in the centre against top teams, or even the mid table clubs in the league, I feel we need a Hamann / Makelel type player sitting alongside him, rather than an Alonso / Sissoko... who's games aren't just evolved around protecting and defending. I'm sure Sissoko will mature into the player Viera did and become the great defensive midfielder. But at the moment I think the squad miss a Hamann type player, which is maybe why we have looked far more vulnerable this season.

If we signed Alves, I think we would have seen the three man centre midfield, in probably a 3-5-2 formation. This would accomadate Sissoko, Gerrard and Alonso. But we haven't and that probably influences Rafa's decision, reagrding Gerrards position. I personally love seeing him in the centre and think that is where he wants to be and is most effective. Is Rafa playing Gerrard on the right to give the team more balance? (which I'm not so sure, as Pennant would give the team more balance with Gerrard's constant roaming). Or does he play Gerrard on the right to simply fit Sissoko, Alonso and Gerrard all in the same team?
      liam06
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #16: Oct 30, 2006 08:59:52 pm
      rafa shud play stevie in center right mid thats wat i think
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #17: Oct 30, 2006 09:32:22 pm
      i think it's ok to play him there in home games but in away games it should be a 4-5-1 with crouch up front and gonzo n pennant on the wings and sissoko playing behind stevie and alonso.
      Kernow-Kop
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 80 posts |
      Reply #18: Nov 09, 2006 06:14:26 pm
      hello to all :D
      i agree with all about gerrard geing central, but it always brings up the debate on who should play/and be dropped in midfield. Cause how can you drop someone thats playing as good as sissoko,then theres alonso that can change the outcome of a game with one of his sweet passes and last but noy least 'gerrard' i need to say no more. but if you play a 5man midfield that leaves us with either a back three or a lone striker, and i think that are first chioce defence hasnt enough pace to cope with a 3-5-1 and who do you play as a lone striker, cause with our current strike that would be a waste especially the way crouch/kuyt are gelling together,cause its been since the mighty fowler/collemore partnership  since we had a strikeforce.
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Reply #19: Nov 09, 2006 07:24:28 pm
      stasts dont lie 21 goals from the middle last season and on the right 1 so far
      liverpaul
      • Forum John Barnes

• 409 posts |
      Reply #20: Nov 09, 2006 07:40:12 pm
      well it looks like everyone may just get their wish with the unfortunate injury to momo for the next 3 months it stands to reason that stevie will be put back in the middle
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Reply #21: Nov 09, 2006 07:42:22 pm
      i think every liverpool fan would agree we will want sissoko fit more than gerrard in the middle but its come to the point were stevies gunner ave to play in the centre
      REDLANCE
      • Forum Ian St John

• 451 posts |
      Reply #22: Nov 10, 2006 11:23:52 am
      With Stevie back in the middle now it is time for  Pennant to start performing the way we all know he can.

Plus lets hope Speedy starts getting a few more games now and proves to everyone that he is as good as what he looked like last season in Spain ;)

Quick Reply