Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Liverpool's Hard Pubs.

Read 32143 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Re: Liverpool's Hard Pubs.
      Reply #46: Jan 04, 2009 05:18:55 pm
      Completely forgot... another pub no longer there.

The Quiet Man in Huyton.  Possibly the most ironic name for a pub in Britain.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #47: Jan 04, 2009 05:20:07 pm
      Think robbyr mentioned that one JD  ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #48: Jan 04, 2009 06:53:23 pm
      Think robbyr mentioned that one JD  ;)

Should have known.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #49: Jan 04, 2009 08:41:51 pm
      coughs.........think I mentioned it first.......coughs

Although robby did help me remember the fusilier, or the fusi to give it's proper title!

The QM - jesus I think that only went quiet when Barney stopped drinking in there!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #50: Jan 04, 2009 10:11:04 pm
      Is the Fusilier really a hard pub though?

I believe it's JD's favourite isn't it?  :f_whistle:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #51: Jan 04, 2009 10:24:08 pm
      Don't know about now.

Used to have a rep years ago, guaranteed though any trouble in prescot and it usually start in there!!!

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #52: Jan 05, 2009 06:44:33 am
      Re the Eagle and Child,if my memory is correct the last manager to run it single handed was a man named Bradley.He was the manager in the 1950s/60s.It was when he retired the brewery decided it was too big for one manager and brought in two managers.I do not know how this worked as in those days it was still one big pub and there was no dividing wall.I had many a pint there on a Sunday dinner time discussing saturdays match
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #53: Jan 05, 2009 07:19:31 am
      Is the Fusilier really a hard pub though?

I believe it's JD's favourite isn't it?  :f_whistle:

I don't think the Fusi has ever been a hard pub.  Even going back about 10/15 years it was always the pub to go to if you were about 15.

Don't think it deserves a place in this thread - the Tommy Halls in Prescot.  If it could seat more than 12 people I reckon that would be a hard pub - possibly the least pleasant drinking establishment I've ever been in.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #54: Jan 05, 2009 08:04:13 pm
      ha ha ha remember Clicks!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #55: Jan 05, 2009 08:21:40 pm

Shocking...
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #56: Feb 09, 2013 11:30:47 am
      What's the Weighing Machine like over there. Is it in Kenny?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #57: Feb 09, 2013 01:04:22 pm
      Completely forgot... another pub no longer there.

The Quiet Man in Huyton.  Possibly the most ironic name for a pub in Britain.

That was the worst named alehouse ever, used to have a mate lived opposite. The Quiety was a rough house and it went right down the nick, it got torched and was closed for a while then it was completely refurbed and reopened then torched again. I believe it was demolished.

It's the top of Wavertree Rd, had a number of stabbings and shootings there over the years, the last shooting was last year.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #58: Feb 09, 2013 01:40:32 pm

Just thought on, think the bizzies closed it and there was a dispute about re-opening it again on account of all the kick offs in there. Haven't been past lately, well I have but never noticed if it was opened, think I was only in there once and we got that 'get the F**k out of here' feeling which we did.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #59: Feb 09, 2013 01:58:40 pm
      One of the worst boozers we lived in (Mam was a Bass Relief) was the Cattlemarket in the swan (also my Aunties boozer for a while) , a fella got his head kicked in there by the bar and every time it got kicked you could hear the brass foot rest bong. Eventually it got stopped and he picked himself up and had a flap of skin hanging off his head, he put a soaking bar towel off the bar on it and finished his pint and left. We heard after that he went straight to the Eagle and finished his night there. My Arl fella also got an eye like an ostrich after being hit by a pool ball in one particular kick off.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #60: Feb 09, 2013 09:51:12 pm
      I had my first pint in the Eagle as we used to call it back in 1955 at the tender age of 16,I sat in the corner shitting myself in case my Dad came in and saw me,luckily he didnt.Now the Eagle was a big pub by anyones standards and up to the 1960s it was managed by 1man,a man by the name of Bradley.When Bradley retired Bents made it to be run by 2 managers and the Eagle was split in half.It had a chequered career the old Eagle and just after the 2nd world war the local lads got fed up with the American military who were based in Burtonwood and took to them and had a sort out.The local lads did not like the idea of the Yanks pulling the local girls.I must say I never felt threatened  in the Eagle and often took my girl friend(now my Wife in there many times. I recall the lads playing pitch and toss outside the Eagle when the Eagle was closed and the coppers would walk past on the other side of the road as though they had not seen them.So many memories and so much to tell if only the Eagle and Child could talk.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #61: Feb 09, 2013 11:35:17 pm
      I must sorry to you all,I did not realise I had posted in this thread,Mods you can delete my last post if you wish.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #62: Feb 10, 2013 06:28:06 pm
      That was the worst named alehouse ever, used to have a mate lived opposite. The Quiety was a rough house and it went right down the nick, it got torched and was closed for a while then it was completely refurbed and reopened then torched again. I believe it was demolished.

It's the top of Wavertree Rd, had a number of stabbings and shootings there over the years, the last shooting was last year.

Sounds nice, must pop in the next time I'm passing.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #63: Feb 12, 2013 06:09:07 pm

It's an old folks home now!!!

Quick Reply