Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Out, Injured!

Read 11332 times
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Out, Injured!
      Jan 05, 2009 05:29:40 am
      Over the last few years, being a proud Aussie, I was rapped to see our home grown imports do so well in the Premiership.
      However, just as they seemed to dominate, they tended to constantly get injured.

This ruined match fitness and momentum on many an occasion, namely our Harry :f_steam:

A pattern developed in not only Kewell, but continued on with Viduka and then Cahill. Whenever they have been on the park, they are usually influential, but never really have a long string of games in a row.

What perplexes me is that in Oz, our sportsmen are bred tough. Our cricketers for years have been hard nuts. Our Rugby League players are rock hard (bar 1 game! :-[ :-[ :-[ )

We have also had good boxers, athletes of all kinds who tough it out without too much whingeing (excluding Ponting).

So why do a host of our players fall down in the EPL with feather touches, or are out with papercuts and a whole host of other innocuous injuries.
      Had it not been for the 2 dreaded words: Septic Athritis ( What the hell is that anyway? Was Harry tossing on the toilet?), we probably would've crept past Italy in the last World Cup.

Is it all just a coincidence or are we soft footballers?

Are there any other Nationalities in the past that can be labelled as soft?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Out, Injured!
      Reply #1: Jan 05, 2009 10:51:17 am
      Over the last few years, being a proud Aussie, I was rapped to see our home grown imports do so well in the Premiership.
      However, just as they seemed to dominate, they tended to constantly get injured.

This ruined match fitness and momentum on many an occasion, namely our Harry :f_steam:

A pattern developed in not only Kewell, but continued on with Viduka and then Cahill. Whenever they have been on the park, they are usually influential, but never really have a long string of games in a row.

What perplexes me is that in Oz, our sportsmen are bred tough. Our cricketers for years have been hard nuts. Our Rugby League players are rock hard (bar 1 game! :-[ :-[ :-[ )

We have also had good boxers, athletes of all kinds who tough it out without too much whingeing (excluding Ponting).

So why do a host of our players fall down in the EPL with feather touches, or are out with papercuts and a whole host of other innocuous injuries.
      Had it not been for the 2 dreaded words: Septic Athritis ( What the hell is that anyway? Was Harry tossing on the toilet?), we probably would've crept past Italy in the last World Cup.

Is it all just a coincidence or are we soft footballers?

Are there any other Nationalities in the past that can be labelled as soft?

Its the 'top' footballers in his country that you hear get injured. Look at the A-League and there's no clear injury prone player like Harry was/is and then look to other players overseas like Spiranovic and co. and there's nothing wrong with them. I dont know how to explain it but something is going on with our big name players in England.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #2: Jan 05, 2009 01:32:38 pm
      Maybe you Aussies are only good at sports where you get to put on lots of padding?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #3: Jan 05, 2009 02:11:57 pm
      Too much Aussie rules when they were younger ::)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #4: Jan 05, 2009 02:12:49 pm
      Maybe you Aussies are only good at sports where you get to put on lots of padding?

League, Union, AFL? We're as tough as they come in sport, just not this one.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #5: Jan 05, 2009 02:14:03 pm

Yea cricket is a killer for the bumps ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #6: Jan 05, 2009 03:15:29 pm

I know but you wear all them helmets and gumshields and stuff.  I've seen it... ;)

Actually it's probably the case in Australia that the likes of Cahill and Kewell were too scared of the games you just mentioned.

Easy Aussie boys, we all know that you're 'real men'...

(Who can't drink pints....  :f_whistle: - apart from Viduka who has clearly overindulged)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #7: Jan 05, 2009 06:01:49 pm
      Helmets? No. Unless they have some health problem they go without. Much like Petr Cech.

I'll admit, Brits guzzle down more pints but its not like we cant handle it. Atleast we're not dumb enough to chase cheese down a hill... :f_whistle:
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #8: Jan 05, 2009 06:06:31 pm
      Helmets? No. Unless they have some health problem they go without. Much like Petr Cech.

I'll admit, Brits guzzle down more pints but its not like we cant handle it. Atleast we're not dumb enough to chase cheese down a hill... :f_whistle:

:lmao: I'll just sit back and enjoy Aus vs. Britain and hope you both dont turn on me and start slagging of Ireland :P
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #9: Jan 05, 2009 06:10:05 pm
      :lmao: I'll just sit back and enjoy Aus vs. Britain and hope you both dont turn on me and start slagging of Ireland :P

The only sport we verse you lot in is International Rules in which you's have the wood over us. It'd be a very, very short debate ;)
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #10: Jan 05, 2009 06:12:33 pm
      The only sport we verse you lot in is International Rules in which you's have the wood over us. It'd be a very, very short debate ;)

:lmao: I remember we basically said "give us out ball back" a few years ago, its back up and running now with half the Gaelic players actually on the panel and I think we still won ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #11: Jan 05, 2009 06:14:31 pm
      :lmao: I remember we basically said "give us out ball back" a few years ago, its back up and running now with half the Gaelic players actually on the panel and I think we still won ;)

Although we are starting to steal some Irish talent and transform them into Aussie Rules players. I think late last year was the most competitive i have seen it.
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #12: Jan 05, 2009 06:27:52 pm
      Atleast we're not dumb enough to chase cheese down a hill... :f_whistle:

No mate.  Australians are far too clever to mess around with dumb sports aren't they?

Smoothly does it - a team of Australian scuba divers has flattened their way in to the record books for ironing under water.

The seventy-two-strong team submerged with all the gear required for their underwater housekeeping: ironing boards, irons - with the electrical cords removed for safety reasons - and their clean linen.

"Extreme ironing" has become something of a cult in recent years, with "ironists" taking their chores to places as inhospitable as the Antarctic, the bottom of a Welsh bog, and in the middle of a go-kart race at Streatham Raceway.

The Australian underwater ironists topped the previous record of seventy participants in their 3-metre (10 foot) deep dive off the coast of Melbourne, south-east Australia, on Saturday.

"It was cold and I think they were bloody crazy," said local councillor Tom O'Connor, who with police helped authenticate the new record.

Debbie Azzopardi, who organised the event, said that the attempt beat a 2005 record set in a swimming pool in nearby Geelong, which had itself beaten a New Zealand group's earlier record.

"I was having a chardonnay a few years ago with a girlfriend, and I thought 'I'm going to beat that'", Azzopardi said.

"We had a few fish going by, and a stingray. It was great,"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1583552/%27Extreme-ironing%27-on-the-sea-bed-in-new-record.html

Really serious stuff that underwater ironing.  ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #13: Jan 05, 2009 06:51:40 pm
      Whats that? We kill you in everything despite a smaller population?

And you want stupid? Paul Mccartney and Heather Mills' divorce, your queen farts constantly and a Brit invented a device to help a mother give birth by spinning around on a table.

Whereas we invent stuff like this:

The Iron Saddle, an upside down iron that heats your ass if it gets cold while riding your bike.

Not to mention, everyone loves Aussies. We're the easy going 'g'day-ers'.
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #14: Jan 05, 2009 07:20:58 pm
      To be honest, we invented virtually every global sport.  Most of these were nicked and bastardised by the colonies (mostly you and America).  The fact that we are crap at them is well documented - instead of concentrating on one or two, we try to master them all - and fail miserably.  If our government had spunked the amount yours has on sports excellence centres, we might have a chance.

Paul McCartney's divorce - who cares?
      As you're still part of the Commonwealth (you still take part in the Commonwealth Games) we share a Queen (she's not head of state in my country, either).
      I've no idea what the birthing device you mention is but there's probably a need for it or it wouldn't have been invented.
      Is that seat warmer the best you could find?  I don't fancy sitting on a lump of warm metal while out riding - the things you colonials get up to... ;)

"Everyone loves Aussies."  Have you asked everyone?   :f_whistle:
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #15: Jan 05, 2009 07:26:21 pm
      Although we are starting to steal some Irish talent and transform them into Aussie Rules players. I think late last year was the most competitive I have seen it.

I no and trying to kill them aswell, poor Marty Clarke nearly died :lmao: you see that "tackle"
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #16: Jan 05, 2009 07:26:38 pm
      We're better in sport, we have a better economy, we have a better government, we have better weather, we have better sites, sure we may be the fattest country in the world but that just shows we have better food too.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #17: Jan 05, 2009 07:28:12 pm
      I no and trying to kill them aswell, poor Marty Clarke nearly died :lmao: you see that "tackle"

Now who said we're not man enough?  >:D   Was a shocker though.
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #18: Jan 05, 2009 07:43:48 pm
      sure we may be the fattest country in the world but that just shows we have better food too.

:lmao:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #19: Jan 05, 2009 08:31:20 pm
      Okay that's enough of the Aussie - Brit bashing.  We don't want to upset them and make them unleash the might of their army on us...

All four camper vans full. ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #20: Jan 05, 2009 08:40:20 pm
      In WW1 Australia developed a reputation to be the toughest and bravest but their strength was tied down by the leadership of General Haig, a Brit.

History like soooo comes in handy doesnt it?
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #21: Jan 05, 2009 08:42:54 pm
      Well, we're not gonna send our own boys in when we've got cannon fodder Aussies, are we?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #22: Jan 05, 2009 08:52:38 pm
      Well, we're not gonna send our own boys in when we've got cannon fodder Aussies, are we?

Actually, Haig was so stupid he kept on sending troops over the top (his British troops, mind) in a line as a cavlary charge, what made this worse was that it was in daylight leaving them as a clear target and an easy one at that. They got slaughtered yet he continued to shell the Germans, stop and then go over the top. Once the Germans heard the shelling stop, they knew that they were coming over the top so they gunned millions of Brits down. Haig did not change his tactics though and has been described as one of the worst leaders ever, the show Blackadder with Rowan Atkinson is based on Haig's incompetence.

Compare this to the Aussie's who were the first to employ the tactic of attacking in the dark to catch their opponent by surprise. It was Sir John Monash who thought of it first, an aussie. Add that to the famous 'Jacka's men'.

Quick Reply