Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Out, Injured!

Read 11334 times
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Re: Out, Injured!
      Reply #69: Jun 11, 2009 12:46:21 am
      Uhh... no. Personally, I hate England football team, in fact I hate anywhere in england bar, north west and south west. But you are right, I really dislike Londaaaaaannnnnn, and the whole area of it, people think they are in another class there, everyone is like oh your from Wales, Merthyr Tydfil, Rhonnda and all this sh*te like we're inbred and theres no jobs here (only one of these is true ;) ). Its sad people get views of a place from what they;re told without actually experiencing it.

Never thought I'd see my hometown mentioned on this site!......

albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #70: Jun 11, 2009 06:02:42 am
      Never thought I'd see my hometown mentioned on this site!......

I was quite shocked a few years ago when a Canadian singer/songwriter called Jane Siberry mentioned "the slags of Merthyr Tydfil" in a song. I was so intrigued I e-mailed her to find out if she had a connection...she told me her Grandfather was from there if I remember rightly.

Just for the record, I am from Swansea but lived and worked in the Valleys at times many moons ago and know Merthyr fairly well. I'm in Canada now.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #71: Aug 23, 2009 05:55:23 pm
      This was probably the best thread of banter i can recall. All the Ashes chat has just reminded of how good the Pom v Convict humour can be.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #72: Aug 24, 2009 05:20:22 pm
      Its a really interesting fact that the Aussies playing in England have largely been injury prone. 
      eg   Viduka-Kewell- Cahill-Emerton-

Not so sure about Lucas Neil and Mark Schwarzer, someone may have to help me on those

I remember arriving in Australia from England at age 7 and have lived there for the past 40 years. In that era we took our soccer ball to school and there were no soccer goal posts so we had to put down jumpers as goal posts. In physical education classes occasionally we were allowed to play soccer, because we had an English born teacher, although it was normally aussie rules footy due to it being the national game here.

What used to happen was because the aussie kids were so uncoordinated playing soccer they would kick the sh*t out of you when they went in for a tackle, and they didnt like us poms too much because we would make them look pretty silly when we popped the ball thru their legs and ran around them leaving them spreadeagled on the ground after losing their balance. So maybe our aussies in England are still carrying those knocks from such experiences, well its just a theory.

Then you had days where you took a soccer ball to school and played soccer in your playtime. You recruited all the Italians, Greeks, Yugoslavs, and whatever poms you could muster and you just about had 5 a side, so the jumpers went down. The problem was that often you got set upon by 30 aussies wanting your ball because they didnt have the intelligence to remember to bring a footy to school.

One kid called Charlie, they would set upon, and often about 20 of them chased him wanting to bash him senseless. Because he lived close to the school he would run home and not come back for a couple of days, feeling too scared until the heat died down. He had Italian parents who couldnt speak English, and he would bluff them that there was an excursion on that he wasnt attending so there was no need for him to attend school on those days. It was all quite a laugh when you look back on it, but pretty scary at the time.

So we joined our local soccer club, Springvale City, and this was the place to find all the brits and europeans, a place of safety to practice our religion (football) My brothers and I played for many years, I was a striker who racked up plenty of goals playing club soccer. One team we regularly used to play was Doveton, where there were a lot of Aussie kids who had strangely adopted our game, but in truth we were back to the school days playing them, and once again we would get the sh*t kicked out of us. I always remember my dear old dad telling me to wear double shin pads the day we played Doveton. 

Further reinforcement of my theory, perhaps this is where Cahill, Viduka and co all got their legs kicked to hell before migrating to England.   ;D

Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #73: Aug 24, 2009 05:25:09 pm
      This was probably the best thread of banter I can recall. All the Ashes chat has just reminded of how good the Pom v Convict humour can be.

Ahh, so this is the thread you were talking about in The Ashes thread! :D

Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #74: Aug 24, 2009 05:32:48 pm
      Further reinforcement of my theory, perhaps this is where Cahill, Viduka and co all got their legs kicked to hell before migrating to England.   ;D
      I know I wasn't around back then so I dont know if I can be totally accurate but similarly to your theory they may have picked up some injuries playing sport however it could of been when they were playing aussie rules not soccer. I know in primary school when we'd have interschool matches even at age 10 and 11 it was really rough I know I picked up a few knee injuries from landing awkwardly after getting tackled I even got hit pretty hard in the face once and rocked up to school on the monday with a bright purple eye but that's another story.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #75: Aug 24, 2009 06:02:27 pm
      Ahh, so this is the thread you were talking about in The Ashes thread! :D

Nope, that was in case we won! :D That thread will forever remain a secret.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #76: Aug 26, 2009 03:36:33 am
      I know I wasn't around back then so I dont know if I can be totally accurate but similarly to your theory they may have picked up some injuries playing sport however it could of been when they were playing aussie rules not soccer. I know in primary school when we'd have interschool matches even at age 10 and 11 it was really rough I know I picked up a few knee injuries from landing awkwardly after getting tackled I even got hit pretty hard in the face once and rocked up to school on the monday with a bright purple eye but that's another story.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another theory Ive just had on this is the fine Aussie tradition of "taking a sickie off work"

Perhaps because of the good weather out here most golf courses during the week are full of people who have taken the "sickie" and preferred a day out on the golf course to going to work.

Maybe the great Aussie tradition of the "sickie" has been bred into these guys and thats why they are often a sick note.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #77: Aug 26, 2009 10:05:19 am
      Nope, that was in case we won! :D That thread will forever remain a secret.

I've only just seen your post. :D

Anyway, you knew you were going to lose the Ashes so you just bumped this topic anyway. Lying isn't a good thing. ;)

Quick Reply