Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Downing submits transfer request

Read 5392 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Jan 05, 2009 12:46:30 pm

Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing has signalled his intent to leave the Riverside Stadium by handing in a written transfer request.

The 24-year-old, who has 21 England caps, signed a new five-year deal in February 2008 but is rumoured to have become increasingly unsettled recently.

Tottenham had a reported bid of £6m rejected by Middlesbrough last week.

Manager Gareth Southgate has repeatedly stressed that local boy Downing would not be sold.

And chairman Steve Gibson added that no senior player would be leaving in the January transfer window.

"I can confirm that we have received an offer from Spurs for Stewart Downing and I can also confirm that we have rejected that offer," Gibson told The Times.

"I've spoken to Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy and told him categorically that their interest is not welcome.

"I've also told him that we will not entertain any further offers for Stewart or, for that matter, any other senior member of our squad. The same applies to Tuncay and it also applies to Gary O'Neil.

"I repeat: none of our senior players will be leaving the Riverside Stadium this month."

The Teesside club are under no financial pressure to offload one of their most prized assets but Southgate is not thought to have been previously aware of Downing's desire to leave.

His view may now become similar to the scenario involving Yakubu when he made it clear his future lay away from the Riverside Stadium and he was swiftly allowed to leave.

The Nigeria international was sold to Everton for £11.25m in August 2007, with Southgate saying he felt the striker was "struggling emotionally" and playing below his best as a result.

Southgate stated at the time: "When a player is unsettled to that point, it's time to get the best possible deal for the club."

Boro's valuation of Downing is nearer £15m, which would smash their record transfer sale, but it remains to be seen if Spurs will have the same opinion.
      Story from BBC SPORT: http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/middlesbrough/7810560.stm

This kind of things gets right up my nose.  Apparently he has released a statement saying he has been unhappy since the summer.... a couple of months after he signed a 5 year contract extension.

It would be pretty foolish for Boro to sell him to relegation rivals Spurs.  Players have way too much power.  Disappointing that yet again contracts don't appear to be worth the paper they are written on.  I think player valuations should be written in to all contracts so that clubs can better protect their investments?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Downing submits transfer request
      Reply #1: Jan 05, 2009 12:49:35 pm
      O'Neill did it, Southgate should just hold out for what he wants but if not, keep him.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #2: Jan 05, 2009 01:09:53 pm
      Personally, i rate this guy. Probably one of those only English left wingers of this decade.
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #3: Jan 05, 2009 01:25:29 pm
      looks like I saw his last game in a Boro shirt as I support Barrow AFC as well :)
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #4: Jan 05, 2009 02:13:09 pm
      Well, Spurs v. City for this one IMO we dont need him anymore
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #5: Jan 06, 2009 12:06:27 am
      Levy is such a little two face c**t, him crying and complaining about the Keane and Berbatov deals (where they great deal on both players) and now he is doing the same thing to Boro and Downing.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #6: Jan 06, 2009 01:16:18 am
      What irks me is how Managers stubbornly hold on to a player that has no desire of remaining in the squad. Sell him and get a replacement. O'Neil was a moron. If Barry picked up a long term injury, his midfield will collapse.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #7: Jan 06, 2009 04:09:03 am
      I don't blame managers for playing hardball with their players, it is how the transfer market works and it is the best way to get top value for your assets or best of all keep them if you really don't want them to leave in the first place. I often found it odd how much hostility O'Neill got over the Barry deal because he was holding out for value for his best player (came pretty close to getting it) but now has kept one of his best players thus resulting in a good season.
      drawde
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts | -1 
      • Adward
      Reply #8: Jan 06, 2009 09:28:53 pm
      Personally, i rate this guy. Probably one of those only English left wingers of this decade.

Exactly. The failure of Middlesbrough, once again, means that it was only a matter of time before his patience snapped.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #9: Jan 06, 2009 09:30:53 pm
      Southgate is rageing at this so he is
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #10: Jan 07, 2009 11:18:58 am
      Fair play to Middlesbrough.

Rejected three bids. 

Wonder if Spurs will take the hint?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #11: Jan 07, 2009 12:18:37 pm
      'Arry not happy one bit either. What did he expect? 6 million for their best player, an England interational and one of the best natural left midfielders you'll see in the Prem. w**ker - definately with Southgate on this.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #12: Jan 09, 2009 06:18:12 am
      Another 5 year deal a Boro ,thats a bargain eh ,

Quick Reply