Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Player Confidence

Read 998 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Player Confidence
      Jan 22, 2009 12:08:36 pm
      I don't know whether this is going to be a pointless/stupid question so delete if neccessary.

I've always wondered whether training sessions can dint players confidence. For example, if in training Keane was finding it difficult to get past Carra, Skrtel and Agger, this could be a reason why a lot of the time he's not prepared to take on players in real matches, opting to pass instead. Also, if a winger was finding it difficult to beat his defender in training for his club, this could have a knock on effect on when he plays in an actual match as he may then not be fully confident about taking on his defender in the match.

Just something that I've thought about before, don't know whether this is true or not but I'm sure it must have at least some effect, and if this is the case then teams may need to change the training slightly to ensure the confidence in the players isn't lost?
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Re: Player Confidence
      Reply #1: Jan 22, 2009 12:13:03 pm
      Look at when Crouchy wasnt scoring and they played Red Arse!
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #2: Jan 22, 2009 12:14:50 pm
      I dont think if you are a proven goal scorer that getting tackled every now and then in training will dint your confidence.

Robbie just isnt settling in, and in reality, some fairytale moves dont turn out so great
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #3: Jan 22, 2009 12:14:56 pm
      What do you mean, about the Crouch comment?

No I know that, I was just using Keane as an example.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #4: Jan 22, 2009 02:11:06 pm
      Keane isnt afraid to take a defender on though, its just that he either smacks the ball into them or loses it.

Fernando, you often see take on defenders and even though sometimes he looks silly he tries again and usually succeeds next time.

Confidence plays a massive part in how a player plays, some things come natural but mostly you'll find a player needs to be on top of his game or thereabouts to try something audacious/find his passing range etc.

Quick Reply