Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Pietersen and Moores resign

Read 6574 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Pietersen and Moores resign
      Jan 07, 2009 11:15:41 am
      Great news for the Aussies!

Looks like the ECB had decided last night to sack the pair of them so they both got in there first and resigned this morning.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Pietersen and Moores resign
      Reply #1: Jan 07, 2009 12:08:31 pm
      Well if it was easy before, its a stroll in the park now. It was always coming, Moores i believe though is mostly at fault. The captain should run the side, the coach should coach it. Now they've lost their best player because of one dickhead.

5-0 last year wasnt it? Might do the double...
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #2: Jan 07, 2009 04:29:50 pm
      Pitersen has stepped down as captain, thankfully because he wasn't up to the job. Simple as that. KP is a great player, but not captain material, let him concentrate on batting.

Moores was doing a good job until he started telling Pietersen who was and wasn't able to be picked for selection. It's up to the captain to decide which players he wants playing for him. I don't know why KP was adamant for Harmison and more so Vaughan to be in his test side but he wanted both in the side, got the Durham seamer but no place for Vaughan. I agree Vaughan shouldn't be in the squad, but don't agree that Moores is the one deciding.

Another great warm up for an England touring side. Exactly what we needed ahead of a tour to the West Indies. After consecutive test defeats to South Africa and India, we need to get back to winning ways. The two needed to go from their responsibility, but should have been well before the squad was announced so the new captain can pick his own squad not Pietersen or rather Moores'. Speaking of a new captain it looks to be Strauss, wouldn't be my choice as only last year he was dropped for bad form. It's got to be a certainty in the side who is captain, and I like the idea of Cook or Broad. A youngster who has a future, not someone who is close to be past his prime already.

As for new coach? I'd love somebody like Alec Stewart or Darren Gough. A real passionate Englishman who has played for England for a long time. Stewart our most capped wicket keeper and Gough a lad who carried the bowling attack for years, along with Caddick. Somebody along those lines, who'll make sure we don't under perform not some coach who doesn't have a clue about cricket at the highest level.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #3: Jan 07, 2009 04:35:01 pm
      But he's not even English is he..... I mean surly the captain of the England team should be English
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #4: Jan 07, 2009 05:07:57 pm
      What a mess!!

Did not need that just before the West Indies series and The Ashes. But i suppose its better all out now when we don't have any matches.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #5: Jan 07, 2009 06:20:48 pm
      It's up to the captain to decide which players he wants playing for him.

No it isn't it's up to the board of selectors.

In any case the fact that KP needed Vaughan back in proves he couldn't cut it as a captain.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #6: Jan 07, 2009 06:33:21 pm
      No it isn't it's up to the board of selectors.

In any case the fact that KP needed Vaughan back in proves he couldn't cut it as a captain.

The captain sits with the board of selectors to decide though. Or at least they're meant to.

On that point when KP first got the captaincy I remember him saying "I'll pick the best XI out of the players the selectors pick". But now he's changed his tune. KP never was captain material.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #7: Jan 07, 2009 07:57:11 pm
      Looks like KP was proper stitched up in any case.

"Contrary to media speculation, I wish to make it very clear that I did not resign as captain of the England cricket team this morning.

"At no time, contrary to press speculation, have I released any unauthorised information to the media regarding my relationships with the players, coaches and the ECB itself."

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #8: Jan 08, 2009 01:52:02 am
      Looks like KP was proper stitched up in any case.

"Contrary to media speculation, I wish to make it very clear that I did not resign as captain of the England cricket team this morning.

"At no time, contrary to press speculation, have I released any unauthorised information to the media regarding my relationships with the players, coaches and the ECB itself."

Suss that. Feel sorry for KP.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #9: Jan 08, 2009 02:12:02 am
      The way Sky have portrayed it, KP resigned but Moores was actually sacked.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #10: Jan 08, 2009 06:39:22 am
      Doesnt KP write a column in the News of the World? Sure that will add fuel to the fire with what he says.

IMO the captain should decide who is in his team, after all he is the one leading them whereas the coach should coach who he has been told to coach.
      Walk-wright-on
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts | 13 
      • FSG - The future is bright!!
      Reply #11: Jan 08, 2009 07:51:55 am
      KP has been stitched up good and proper! Just a good job he has decided to continue playing cos our batting would look really thin without him in the team!! He is a class act! Unlike some, I think he would've been a very good captain if he was allowed to have the players he believed would win games!! He wears his heart on his sleave and isnt afraid to try different things.

A cricket captain is almost on the same level as a manager in football, he should be in charge of the team! After all, he makes all the decisions as to what goes on on the pitch. A coach should be purely that a coach! Get on with preparing the players and let the captain take "his" team onto the field.

My shout for the next England coach would be Jeff Cook at Durham. He has played international cricket so knows what to expect and look at his pedigree with Durham!!
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #12: Jan 08, 2009 11:19:53 am
      But he's not even English is he..... I mean surly the captain of the England team should be English
      Strauss was also born in South Africa he left here when he was 6 or so
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #13: Jan 14, 2009 03:17:42 pm
      I'm loving this.

Bring on the Ashes boys.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #14: Jan 14, 2009 04:00:39 pm
      I'm loving this.

Bring on the Ashes boys.

When all this will be long behind us and KP's mindset will be solely on batting, like it should be. Between now and then we have two series' against the West Indies (one home one away) so any ego KP has about losing the captaincy will be long by the time the Ashes come round.

England 5-0 Australia 2009 Ashes. ;D
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      Reply #15: Jan 14, 2009 04:06:35 pm
      Just ask Glen McGrath what the outcome will be. :D
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #16: Jan 14, 2009 04:09:50 pm
      When all this will be long behind us and KP's mindset will be solely on batting, like it should be. Between now and then we have two series' against the West Indies (one home one away) so any ego KP has about losing the captaincy will be long by the time the Ashes come round.

England 5-0 Australia 2009 Ashes. ;D

I like your optimism!!  ;D

And i agree with the scoreline!!  :D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #17: Jan 14, 2009 04:18:31 pm
      Just ask Glen McGrath what the outcome will be. :D

Didn't Glen McGrath predict 5-0 for the Aussies in 05? Anybody remember what happened?

I surely did, I was one of the lucky ones not to be turned away from Old Trafford. Best Test ground in England and this year's Ashes doesn't contain a Test there. Absoloute joke the ECB
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      Reply #18: Jan 14, 2009 04:23:51 pm
      He also predicted 5-0 in the return in Oz. Anyone remember the scoreline there?

Such a wonderful defence of the urn started ever so well with Harmy bowling first ball to.....was it gully!!  :lmao: :lmao:
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #19: Jan 14, 2009 04:27:20 pm
      No it was to 2nd slip. ;)
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      Reply #20: Jan 14, 2009 05:20:22 pm
      I know that but was taking the piss with just how laughable it was. ;)

Quick Reply