Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Refereeing Standards

Read 2710 times
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,220 posts | 917 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Refereeing Standards
      Feb 15, 2010 09:25:10 pm
      What is happening to the standard of Refereeing lately, the quality of refereeing seems to be on a downward spiral. With the advancement in communication between the Referee and his Assistant, the standard should be getting better. But week in obvious decisions are not made. Is this due to the pressure the Referees are under from Hacket. Or our the Referees influenced by the  pressure from home crowds. What ever the cause Refereeing standards must improve, you see one Referee let a scandalous tackle go unpunished while another Referee will let a similar tackle go unpunished.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Re: Refereeing Standards
      Reply #1: Feb 15, 2010 09:55:13 pm
      What's all this about standards? nothing is standard when it comes to refereeing decisions and performances vary wildly with individual officials.
      Comparing refereeing in general goes off the chart in that the application of rules is interpreted as the official himself views it rightly or otherwise and is never questioned.
      The glaring solution is bring in an aid in making match changing decisions technology is used in cricket and rugby to great effect so what's the problem?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #2: Feb 15, 2010 09:58:54 pm
      I don't think i have seen standards drop at all. Its more we as fans see more than ever with the advancements in Television and thus see a hell of a lot more than we ever used to. For as long as ive been watching (which is less than a lot, but still a while) its been pretty much the same for me. Yeah, there are some shocking ones at times, and ones the referee's see and don't give, but thats been happening for years i reckon.

It aint standards dropping, its coverage rising.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #3: Feb 15, 2010 10:16:53 pm
      I don't think i have seen standards drop at all. Its more we as fans see more than ever with the advancements in Television and thus see a hell of a lot more than we ever used to. For as long as ive been watching (which is less than a lot, but still a while) its been pretty much the same for me. Yeah, there are some shocking ones at times, and ones the referee's see and don't give, but thats been happening for years i reckon.

That's what it's all about mate - they've been found to be clearly inefficient at what they do and some teams are better at persuading and harassing officials than others and we all know who they are .
      How good would it be if there was camera evidence on request for any major decision where there is any dispute? The very same equipment has been used in rugby for years and found to be a huge success.
      « Last Edit: Feb 15, 2010 10:26:18 pm by stuey »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #4: Feb 15, 2010 10:27:55 pm
      How good would it be if there was camera evidence on request for any major decision where there is any dispute? The very same equipment has been used in rugby for years and found to be a huge success.

Have had that thought as well. Would have to be careful with it though, as you wouldn't want the game slowed down too much. But just for big decisions i think it is needed. Dubious penalties it is definitely needed for, stuff like that, very warranted i feel.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #5: Feb 15, 2010 10:35:51 pm
      When you talk about time mate think about all  those crying b***ard mancs- Ferdinand,Giggs,Rooney and Scholes surrounding the ref  for minutes on end but in rugby they look up at the screen and it's sorted.

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #6: Feb 15, 2010 10:49:41 pm
      When you talk about time mate think about all  those crying b***ard mancs- Ferdinand,Giggs,Rooney and Scholes surrounding the ref  for minutes on end but in rugby they look up at the screen and it's sorted.

Very true, im more talking if they didn't set good controls on when to use it you would have teams debating every little incident no matter how insignificant. I wouldn't want it being used for everything, only major decisions. Otherwise you might as well not have a referee at all... oh theres an idea >:D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #7: Feb 15, 2010 10:59:19 pm
      Nah I know what your saying there bud but if they did like they do in rugby and only use the camera for disputed penalty or send off shouts it would go like clockwork as I say it could even be quicker than now with all the fannying about and it would sort all the diving out.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #8: Feb 15, 2010 11:03:35 pm
      Nah I know what your saying there bud but if they did like they do in rugby and only use the camera for disputed penalty or send off shouts it would go like clockwork as I say it could even be quicker than now with all the fannying about and it would sort all the diving out.

Agree 100%. Diving is a blight on the game and this would really make players think twice, and if not, then they would be carded for it rather than get away with it. Simple as that. When we drew against Birmingham because of that N'gog dive i didn't and still don't feel right about it. I take the result, but never like getting it that way.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #9: Feb 15, 2010 11:26:35 pm
      The Refereeing this season has been abysmal, so inconsistent, in fact its been a disgrace, and it is the inconstancy that gets fans so angry, as one Ref will give something whereas another will turn a blind eye.

I think we need some better guidelines on Refereeing, I know it must be a very difficult job but they somehow seem to miss the most blatant of fowls and instances....cough cough Fabregas last week.

This is the best Ref I've ever seen...

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #10: Feb 15, 2010 11:32:17 pm

Find the differance? I can't..
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #11: Feb 15, 2010 11:34:07 pm
      Jesus is he a sight for sore eyes.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #12: Feb 15, 2010 11:35:07 pm
      Collina was boss, until he fu**ed the blushite over, then he was even better!

In all seriousness though, replays would have to have strict guidelines. I think if the FA weren't so sh*t scared of slowing the game down they would have well done it by now. I reckon they're already going that way with the introduction of the 4th official (who has been known to consult a replay on occasion ;)). I just think they all need to have a group hug and just maybe a little cry and then go for it. As long as there were strict guidelines as to what was called. A 2 call limit from each bench within parameters of 5 scenarios ie, offside where a goal is scored, did the ball cross the line?, penalty decision, possible red card decision, did a goalie come off his line when facing a penalty?

That would work. 4th official consults a replay. Then it comes up on a screen so Sky can get some glamour into it.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #13: Feb 16, 2010 09:01:41 am
      When you talk about time mate think about all  those crying b***ard mancs- Ferdinand,Giggs,Rooney and Scholes surrounding the ref  for minutes on end but in rugby they look up at the screen and it's sorted.

Yes but the rules in Rugby are more clear cut for fouls or trys etc and there is no room for personal interpretation of these rules.

In football it is different, how many times has a replay shown the decision to be just as hard to decide on than it was at full speed.

It wont work, the only thing TV should be brought in for is balls crossing the line with cameras in the goal posts.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #14: Feb 16, 2010 09:24:32 am
      Yes but the rules in Rugby are more clear cut for fouls or trys etc and there is no room for personal interpretation of these rules.

In football it is different, how many times has a replay shown the decision to be just as hard to decide on than it was at full speed.

It wont work, the only thing TV should be brought in for is balls crossing the line with cameras in the goal posts.

Personal interpretation of rules? We are not talking about anything like that, we are talking things that are clearly wrong. Penalties that shouldn't be awarded and the like. The penalty in Nando's first Anfield outing against Chelsea in '07, and even the one we got against Birmingham this season. Those were clearly unjust and can change the course of seasons, unfairly. Thats the kind of thing we are looking at. Yeah there would have to be strict governing of the system as to not let it take away from the game, but it would work given it is implemented right.

Anyways, this is getting a little off what the original topic was about, so leave it at that.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #15: Feb 16, 2010 11:01:46 am
      I don't think I have seen standards drop at all. Its more we as fans see more than ever with the advancements in Television and thus see a hell of a lot more than we ever used to. For as long as ive been watching (which is less than a lot, but still a while) its been pretty much the same for me. Yeah, there are some shocking ones at times, and ones the referee's see and don't give, but thats been happening for years I reckon.

Well in that case Big V I agree with what you say here.

We will leave our discussion to another thread.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #16: Feb 16, 2010 11:10:21 am
      The crux of the matter here is the advances in technology have shown the officials to be wanting in their decision making sometimes embarrassingly so, and it's not a highly trained observer that is privy to these errors but the viewing public and the mistakes are replayed to highlight the shortcomings.
      As surely as night follows day the technology could be used in unison with the referees aspect of an incident and a 99.9% safe decision could be passed. The dinosaur FA are resisting any changes as is their way.
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #17: Feb 16, 2010 03:59:49 pm
      Get rid of referees and bring in hawkeye i see.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #18: Feb 16, 2010 05:08:12 pm
      Pay them less, is what i say.

And a limit of 3 yellow cards per team. Unless a 4th is needed to send someone off.

Too obsessed with their motto, 'It's not about the players, it's about the referees!'
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #19: Feb 16, 2010 09:47:03 pm
      Alan Wiley was a typical example today. Poor
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #20: Feb 16, 2010 09:52:18 pm
      Alan Wiley was a typical example today. Poor
      A standard performance then mate?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #21: Feb 16, 2010 09:56:07 pm
      Get rid of referees and bring in hawkeye I see.

Do we do what happens in the Tennis as well and when the video starts showing the crowd builds with a "whoooaaaaaAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!"? :D

Quick Reply