Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

The Sami Hyypia Appreciation thread - 700 career apps

Read 10142 times
      TNAwrestling
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 352 posts |
      • Cross The Line
      The Sami Hyypia Appreciation thread - 700 career apps
      Jan 08, 2009 03:23:55 pm
      I figured since the big Finn's 700th game for the club was coming up against Stoke, it's time to show appreciation to our long serving rock at the back, year upon year he has provided outstanding service and more than deserves to be mentioned in the same breath with legends the likes of Dalglish, Callaghan, Hansen, St. John, Hughes, Thompson and many others.

'Phil Thompson today paid tribute to Sami Hyypia as the long-serving Anfield defender prepares to make his 700th career appearance at Stoke City this weekend.
      Hyypia has played an integral role in Liverpool's march to the top of the Premier League and has belied his 35-years with a series of outstanding displays at the heart of the Reds' back-line.

With 477 games, seven league titles and two European Cups behind him, Thompson is better placed than most to assess Hyypia's career at Anfield - and he insists the big Finn deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as the great Alan Hansen.

"He has been, and still is, brilliant for Liverpool," said Thommo. "When you consider how much he cost then pound-for-pound he is up there with the £440,000 the club paid for Kenny Dalglish.

"I remember going to watch him playing for Finland against Oliver Bierhoff and Germany in Nuremberg. Bierhoff's strength was in the air and Sami never let him win a header.

"We signed Stephane Henchoz at the same time as Sami and he was the better known of the two and people probably expected more from him.

"But after a couple of days on the training pitch with Sami, I was thinking we've signed a central midfielder here because he was that authoritative and comfortable on the ball.

"It always makes me laugh when people started saying a few years ago his pace had gone. Sami Hyypia never had any pace to lose! What he has got is an incredible ability to read the game and that has been his biggest asset. More often than not he is in position.

"I'd be lying if I said that when we signed him I thought he'd still be going strong 10 years later. That's incredibly difficult to do, especially for a foreign player in the Premier League.

"He's a legend and, for me, Sami is in Alan Hansen’s ilk."

Rafael Benitez has spoken of his admiration for Sami Hyypia as the defender prepares to reach another career milestone.
      Many pundits expected the Finland international to feature as a squad player this season, but the 35-year-old has started five out of Liverpool's last six Premier League games, and has been in outstanding form.

As he prepares to make his 700th career appearance at Stoke City this weekend, the Reds boss has paid tribute to his tower of strength at the back.

"I have a lot of confidence in Sami," said Rafa. "He is a fantastic professional so I knew he would play really well.

"Clearly, when you talk about Sami you are talking about a player who has been here for a long time.

"Everybody knows he is a nice lad, a very good professional and a very good player, so we are really pleased to keep him here.

"We have very good centre-backs here and it is good to see all of them competing for a place. That can only be good for the team."

Heres to you Sami Hyypia, an Anfield Great!!
      « Last Edit: Jan 12, 2009 06:55:29 pm by JD »
      Kopite09
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts |
      Re: The Sami Hyypia Appreciation thread
      Reply #1: Jan 08, 2009 03:32:10 pm
      Fact.Sammy has been as solid as a rock for us since he arrived and has never got as much praise as he deserved. although he has lost lost his pace his inteligance,positioning,and awareness give him that extra yard and evreytime we have a set piece he is our biggest threat i think sammy has another season left in him after this one ! im going to the stoke match on saturday and cant wait to sing my heart out for him ! Oh Sammy Sammy , Sammy Sammy Hyppia a true liverpool ledgend
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #2: Jan 08, 2009 03:56:20 pm
      He is a rock, and has served this great club with gentlemanly class.

He has given his all for the Reds, and we should all stand up and applaud this Colossus.

Who can ever forget his contribution over the years including some crucial goals.

You are a legend Sami. Done us proud. :angel:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3: Jan 08, 2009 04:06:07 pm
      If it is one player who deserves one hell of a lot of praise and congratulations for his hard work and desire then it's this man. He is in my eyes one of the biggest anfield greats in my life thats for sure. Well done Sami :D
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #4: Jan 08, 2009 04:19:52 pm
      Never gets the credit he deserves. Been consistant and rock solid at the back for 10 years for this club.  It'd be an injustice if he retired without a Premier League medal.

The man is a legend.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #5: Jan 08, 2009 06:10:06 pm
      I hope still amongst this transfer speculation he remains at the club, he has been an absolutely brilliant servant to Liverpool F.C. He will always be a legend in my eyes, and such a great professional both on and off the pitch.

Thankyou Sami for everything!
      redman2907
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 125 posts | 13 
      Reply #6: Jan 08, 2009 06:26:06 pm
      got to be one of are best pound for pound buys ever right up there with kenny in that respect. people talk about hansen being a legend at cb for us but sami can be metioned in the same breath to.  a legend with out a doubt. also has been are best defender this season
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,344 posts | 2818 
      Reply #7: Jan 08, 2009 06:28:35 pm
      got to be one of are best pound for pound buys ever right up there with kenny in that respect. people talk about hansen being a legend at cb for us but sami can be metioned in the same breath to.  a legend with out a doubt. also has been are best defender this season

You pretty much echoed what Phil Thompson said...

It's all true though ;)

True legend I think.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #8: Jan 08, 2009 07:31:18 pm
      A rare player and an outstanding professional. Easily a role model to any aspiring defender. Honored to have watched him play in my lifetime...
      Milestone
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts |
      • Liverpool FC - The only club to watch in England
      The legend
      Reply #9: Jan 08, 2009 08:35:06 pm
      Sami is indeed a legend and as other legends in other clubs like Giggs call it a day at the end of this season, we hope Sami will still be there for the reds.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #10: Jan 08, 2009 09:24:10 pm
      I tell you what. I bet he's got another season left in him. Get him signed up again in the summer.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #11: Jan 08, 2009 09:36:36 pm
      Sorry it seems its not 700 games for the club, he's on 459 total for the REDS, and according to BBC he's on total of 624.
      where did you get the figures of 700? All the same it is a fantastic total.
      Always liked Sami, Quiet Professional, plus the double act with Hencoz.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #12: Jan 08, 2009 10:22:31 pm
      I tell you what. I bet he's got another season left in him. Get him signed up again in the summer.

I was thinking exactly the same.

To be honest, before Agger done his foot last season i thought that he would only play a bit part role but he ended up playing most games and earnt himself a new contract and this season when Skrtel got injured not only did he get back in the team but he kept his place and has been keeping Agger out until a few weeks ago when Rafa went with Carra at right back (obviously due to Arbeloa's injury but who cares).

If he gets another 1 year deal at the end of the season then he bloody well would have earnt it because he keeps on proving how good he still is and that he still has more to give.

LEGEND!
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #13: Jan 08, 2009 10:26:29 pm
      Absolute legend and model professional. Dosent get the credit he deserves from outside the club but it dosent seem to bother him as he just gets on with his game. I would sign him up on another 2 year contract. And then offer him a coaching role. OH SAMI SAMI!!!!
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #14: Jan 09, 2009 01:45:16 am
      I wondered where the 700 games came from myself, simple math would tell me that over a ten year period that is 70 games a season just didnt sound right. Besides that Carra is our most capped player. But Sammi what a true legend and model proffesional of the club, I am certain he will be here next season I dont care if it is as a player I would love to see him side to side with Pellegrino in the defensive coaches role sometime soon.

Oh Sami, Sami!!!!!!!
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #15: Jan 09, 2009 07:29:36 am
      In 2003, Hyypiä received a red card against Manchester United, the only red of his career. "Van Nistelrooy was going through and maybe I took his shirt a little bit. The referee thought so. I got a straight red card. They got a penalty. It was an agony to watch the game in the dressing room. The only red card of my career. You remember that sort of thing."

One red card goes to show exactly how much of a professional (and legend) he is. The fact that Hyypia has 1 red card in all of his career and John Terry has 2 this season speaks volumes.

Great player, Great man.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #16: Jan 09, 2009 10:18:26 am
      Top, Top man. An absolute legend. love him to bits...hopefully he has another couple of seasons in him but most of all I hope he gets that medallion around his neck come this May.

bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #17: Jan 09, 2009 10:39:01 am
      Sami is one of a rare breed a single minded Red who only ever wanted to play here and I believe Sami would have been a part of and Red team from Shanks to Rafa that's how good a player he is. He is already a legend with all the others and when he retires he is assured of greatness at this club for the rest of it's history.....
      Bristol Scouse
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 101 posts |
      Reply #18: Jan 09, 2009 12:01:33 pm
      Sami is a legend end of, he deserves a testimonial at the very least, but he has the love and respect of the fans and you can bet that means more to him than anything
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #19: Jan 09, 2009 09:12:40 pm
      Set for another premiership appearance at the weekend.

I love watching him play because it is great to see him up against a quick player because he has so much more game intelligance than them and seems to read where the ball is going and will get it 1st. Also his heading is a joy to behold, can see him getting a goal against Stoke to be honest.

Certainly earnt his Legend tag.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #20: Jan 09, 2009 10:03:18 pm
      One of the most solid, natural and influential defenders ive ever seen !! Does any1 know if any steps are being taken to make him a member of coaching staff or anything like that when he retires ??
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #21: Jan 10, 2009 04:36:35 pm
      Top player is our Sami, always rises to the challenge! always looks in good form and is the next best thing to Carra in any team IMO, I really hope he stays and finishes his career here and would love to see him teaching his skills to our stars of tomorrow when he is done.  If Gary Mac was like 35 when he joined us in 2000 and still in superb form then how long can Sami do it for?

Hats off to a living legend  :)
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #22: Jan 10, 2009 04:54:32 pm
      Made the starting line-up again today I see! ;D

Quick Reply