Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Michael's Coming Home

Read 4004 times
      liverpaul
      • Forum John Barnes
      • Started Topic

• 409 posts |
      Michael's Coming Home
      Oct 28, 2006 01:20:11 pm
      According to reports micheal shields will be coming home next week to serve the rest of his sentence as the family have raied the 90,000 needed for his release.

i would like to take this oppurtunity to say well done to ALL Liverpool supporters who put their hand in their pocket and contributed to this worthwhile cause.

Hopefully now the home office upon michaels return will say there you go mike off you pop home to ur family
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,655 posts | 6949 
      Michael's Coming Home
      Reply #1: Oct 28, 2006 01:36:01 pm
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Michael's Coming Home
      Reply #2: Oct 28, 2006 06:54:00 pm
      Micheal still isn't free, so the fight for justice will go on for him and please remember his family have borrowed the money to get him back over here so please continue to dig deep and give any thing you can afford  ;)
      LFC_FOREVA
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 161 posts |
      Michael's Coming Home
      Reply #3: Oct 28, 2006 07:59:05 pm
      i watched the tonight with trevor Mcdonald documentary, he had nothing to do with the making. except a few interviews. He is inoccent, what has happened to him is discraceful. The police who arrested him are lazy foriegn sods, they arrested him with out any true information he commited the crime. If you can get hold of this tape, watch it. It changes your view... people say michael has done it by sterotyping scousers, i am not a scouser but i know his is innocent.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Michael's Coming Home
      Reply #4: Oct 28, 2006 08:27:32 pm
      I'm disgusted.
      I hate it when all these fans go on about how he accually did do it. (None Liverpool fans).
      Do they have proof at all?
      This is ten years they are wasting away of his life!!
      Rushie
      • Forum John Toshack

• 255 posts | -3 
      Michael's Coming Home
      Reply #5: Nov 01, 2006 10:03:13 pm
      Quote from: "Crazy Horse"
      Micheal still isn't free, so the fight for justice will go on for him and please remember his family have borrowed the money to get him back over here so please continue to dig deep and give any thing you can afford  ;)

I actually think it's disgusting that they had to borrow money at all.

Whatever happened to the players promise of making up the shortfall?

I think he will be well placed to fight the case when he returns.  Not too sure about the legality of it all (does a re-trial need to take place in a Bulgarian court) etc.

I hope the lad gets out soon, and to on another point (and not trying to instigate violence at all) but can't believe that Sankey lad is still walking.
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Michael's Coming Home
      Reply #6: Nov 02, 2006 12:47:48 pm
      There's a benifit gig at the Liverpool Empire on 4th December and all profits will go to Micheals family to pay off their debt, There's A few groups on and comidiens that sort of thing so any locals get your tickets and lets sell the place out.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,655 posts | 6949 
      Michael's Coming Home
      Reply #7: Nov 02, 2006 08:49:50 pm
      There's a benifit gig at the Liverpool Empire on 4th December and all profits will go to Micheals family to pay off their debt, There's A few groups on and comidiens that sort of thing so any locals get your tickets and lets sell the place out.

Noticed you didn't point out that one of the bands was the re-forming of Atomic Kitten.  I take it you think this may negatively affect ticket sales...  ;)
      REDLANCE
      • Forum Ian St John

• 451 posts |
      Michael's Coming Home
      Reply #8: Nov 02, 2006 09:04:18 pm
      ;D Definatley ;D

remember them at Anfield about 8 years ago and nobody took a blind bit of notice of them :x

I will be going the gig though  ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,655 posts | 6949 
      Michael's Coming Home
      Reply #9: Nov 02, 2006 10:20:55 pm
      Quote from: "REDLANCE"
      ;D Definatley ;D

remember them at Anfield about 8 years ago and nobody took a blind bit of notice of them :x

I will be going the gig though  ;)

Yeah, remember that game.

They were awful, or maybe we weren't winning at half time.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Michael's Coming Home
      Reply #10: Nov 06, 2006 10:29:30 pm
      Lmao!
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Michael's Coming Home
      Reply #11: Nov 07, 2006 10:50:37 am
      Quote from: "JD"

Noticed you didn't point out that one of the bands was the re-forming of Atomic Kitten.  I take it you think this may negatively affect ticket sales...  ;)

Not at all JD, while my musical tastes Inculde Weller, Bowie and the Kooks, Im fully looking farward to seeing the kittens strut their stuff at the Empire, after all Im just male with a mans way of thinking  ;)
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Michael's Coming Home
      Reply #12: Nov 07, 2006 03:35:33 pm
      has michel still go to serve his years?
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Michael's Coming Home
      Reply #13: Nov 07, 2006 04:57:31 pm
      Quote from: "willowlfc"
      has michel still go to serve his years?

His sentence was reduced to 10 years but he still has to serve the remainder. I believe his family are continuing the fight to clear the lads name and are trying to take the case to the European court of human rights.
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Michael's Coming Home
      Reply #14: Nov 07, 2006 05:49:57 pm
      lets hope its reduced to 0 years  :D  :D
      liverpaul
      • Forum John Barnes
      • Started Topic

• 409 posts |
      Michael's Coming Home
      Reply #15: Nov 07, 2006 07:52:18 pm
      if the home office have any sense at all they should just send him home back to his family
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,655 posts | 6949 
      Re: Michael's Coming Home
      Reply #16: Nov 23, 2006 06:25:34 pm
      With a goody bag of sweets and fruit from mum, Michael Shields boards a plane home

Nov 23 2006

EXCLUSIVE By Greg O'Keeffe, Liverpool Echo

MICHAEL Shields was finally back on British soil today after his 18-month Bulgarian prison nightmare ended.

The 20-year-old was due to land at Heathrow airport on a British Airways flight, which left the capital Sofia earlier this afternoon.

He was accompanied by prison officers from Wandsworth jail in London where he will spend two months being assessed. His return had been delayed by months through Interpol red tape.

It is the first time the engineering student has been home since leaving Wavertree to watch Liverpool FC play in the Champions League final in May 2005.

His mother Marie paid her last visit to Varna prison yesterday, where Michael has spent the past 18 months, before she returned on an earlier flight.

She said: "His face just burst into a smile when he saw me. We were together for about half-an-hour and he was dead excited, but really nervous as well.

"Michael has no idea what it will be like inside a British prison because he's never set foot in one.

"But more than anything he's just glad to be going home.

"I said he should try and get a good night's sleep because of all the travelling he'll be doing, but he said he would be awake counting down the seconds last night.

"I was allowed to give him a little goody bag with sweets and fruit in for the flight home.

"He suffers with his ears sometimes, so I told him to put cotton wool in them for take-off and landing. He just smiled and said that with what he's been through over the last year not to worry about his ears.

"When I was leaving some of his friends in the prison came and shook my hand and the jail social worker said he is a lovely lad and she'll miss him.

"They've formed a close bond while he's been there because she is one of few who can speak any English.

"Just before I left, Michael said he can't wait to see his Nan when he gets back. She hasn't been well and it's been worrying him.

"He saw her almost every day before all this happened. She will be one of the first down to see him."

Michael's father Michael Snr added: "I'm full of mixed emotions. I'm full of joy that he will be in his own country and we won't have to be travelling and banging our heads against a brick wall with the Bulgarians.

"The past 18 months have been the worst of our lives - just so exhausting and now we can try and get some normality back.

"But I'm sad that he has to come home and then go into a prison cell because he's an innocent lad.

"Now we just want to focus on getting Michael's innocence proved in the European courts.

"For now though I want to thank the ECHO and the people of Liverpool because without them we wouldn't be bringing him home today."

Michael has even vowed to return to Bulgaria if a bid to have his conviction for attempted murder of a barman overturned is successful.

He has already discussed the visit with Labour leader Joe Anderson who led the campaign to bring Michael home.

Cllr Anderson said: "We're all thrilled but this is only the first major obstacle cleared.

"Michael wants to go back to Bulgaria with me one day and explain to them that they locked up an innocent man and what a major miscarriage of justice he has suffered.

"He is determined to do that"

The handover follows months of negotiations with officials in Bulgaria, where he has been held for 18 months following his 10-year sentence for the alleged attempted murder of a barman.

The next stage in Michael's fight to prove his innocence is an appeal to the European court of human rights on the grounds that he did not receive a fair trial.

Michael will be in London's Wandsworth Jail, used as a clearing station for all prison transfers, for a month until a place is found for him in a Northern jail.

He will undergo physical and mental assessment by psychologists and wardens before the next move, which his family hope will be to a jail in Merseyside, preferably Altcourse

Timeline

May 29, 2005: Martin Georgiev is attacked with paving slab.

May 30: Michael Shields arrested with others. Graham Sankey released after questioning.

June 3: ECHO reveals Michael says he was in his hotel at time of attack.

June 27: Michael charged with attempted murder and hooliganism.

July 21: Trial starts.

July 23: Sankey confesses to attack through solicitor, but judge rules confession inadmissible.

July 26: Michael jailed for 15 years. April 2006: Michael's bid for a retrial fails. His sentence is cut to 10 but his fine increased.

May: Bishop of Liverpool Rt Rev James Jones visits Michael. Says: "I'm convinced he is innocent."

November 23: Michael flown to Heathrow to be transferred to Wandsworth Prison.
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Reply #17: Nov 23, 2006 07:33:34 pm
      Welcome back Michael.
      « Last Edit: Nov 23, 2006 08:51:36 pm by JD »
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #18: Nov 23, 2006 09:44:14 pm
      Was made up to see that on the front of the Echo tonight, his family must be thrilled to bits to have him home....well nearly !
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Reply #19: Nov 24, 2006 08:17:39 pm
      when is his next hearing?
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #20: Nov 24, 2006 08:48:37 pm
      Not sure - he is due to be assessed first for a move - hopefully back nearer his family who have already had to do far too much travelling to see their son.  I hope the case doesn't take too long to get before the European Courts.

Quick Reply