Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Rafa will NEVER sell Gerrard.

Read 1638 times
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Oct 30, 2006 02:37:15 pm
      Source - Sky Sports.

Rafa Benitez has declared that he will never sell Steven Gerrard amidst reports that the England midfielder is unsettled with his role at Liverpool.

Speculation has been rife on Merseyside that the Reds captain is unhappy with Benitez's infamous rotation scheme, and that Gerrard is keen to move back into a central position after being exiled to the right wing to accommodate Mohamed Sissoko and Xabi Alonso in recent times.

The England star has even been linked with Spanish titans Real Madrid, after twice turning down Chelsea in the past, but Benitez has now moved to calm fans' fears regarding the future of the Anfield hero.

The Spaniard claims he would never countenance selling Gerrard and that the reigning PFA Player of the Year remains 'key' to his plans on Merseyside.

"I will never sell Steven Gerrard," Benitez told the Sunday Mirror.

"The last time we had this question I supported Steve.

"I told him I wanted to see him at Liverpool for a very long time, winning lots of trophies. My ideas on that have not changed.

"He is a great player and I want to build my team around him.

"I want to win things with Liverpool and I want Steven Gerrard to be a part of that success. He is vital to us.

"I am clear on this. He is key to what I want at Liverpool."

Regarding Gerrard's positioning, Benitez insists that the right-sided role gives the captain more freedom to surge forward and score goals.

The midfielder has publicly stated he is happy to play anywhere for the team, despite reports of private unease, and Benitez believes the Huyton-born star is content with his current role.

"We have three very good players in Steven Gerrard, Xabi Alonso and Momo Sissoko. I play Steven on the right when I want him to have freedom," Benitez continued.

"Last season he scored 23 goals for us because the role on the right also gives him the freedom to come inside.

"If I feel that we have an option which means Steven must play in the centre then I will use it.

"Last season, when we won 11 games in a row, no one was bothered that Steven was playing wide on the right.

"When we won the Champions League, he was basically playing right back for us. No one criticised or questioned me then.

"The very best players are happy if they are giving something to the team - and I would say that Steven is happy despite what others are trying to suggest."
      championlonglegs
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 55 posts | -3 
      • Yes
      Reply #1: Oct 30, 2006 03:43:29 pm
      He better fukin not sell Gerrard or ill break the spaniards legs!
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Reply #2: Oct 30, 2006 05:17:00 pm
      he will never sell gerrard for that anf many other reason's like that we cant win the league him and stuff like that
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #3: Oct 30, 2006 08:08:54 pm
      Rafa said he will never sell Gerrard, but one of the best quotes i've ever heard was in tonights Liverpool Echo. It was at the end of the Liverpool story started on the back page. When asked about all the media speculation, Stevie said (in his own words!) "I've never read such Bollocks".  ;D
      lfc kid
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts | -1 
      Reply #4: Oct 30, 2006 10:38:37 pm
      ano what a load of bollocks
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #5: Nov 06, 2006 10:30:33 pm
      "Bollocks"
      can they accually publish this??????
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #6: Nov 07, 2006 10:46:04 am
      Quote from: "Court_LFC"
      "Bollocks"
      can they accually publish this??????

They published "I've never heard or read so much b*****ks in my life". But I new what they meant thats why I translated it!  ;)

Quick Reply