Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Boxing

Read 223562 times
      Kopite78
      Re: Boxing
      Reply #1035: Aug 27, 2017 08:00:40 pm
      McGregor can hold his head high but it went as most boxing people thought and Floyd won it when  he wanted and fairly easily

Still a farce like
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1036: Aug 27, 2017 08:38:55 pm
      Horrendous from 2 judges who gave 2 of the first 3 rounds to Floyd, one of which Floyd threw 5 punches.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1037: Aug 27, 2017 09:34:47 pm
      Horrendous from 2 judges who gave 2 of the first 3 rounds to Floyd, one of which Floyd threw 5 punches.

Bet it was the 2 American judges.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #1038: Aug 27, 2017 10:53:17 pm

That was my first thought too, not sure if it was or not though.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1039: Aug 27, 2017 11:08:44 pm
      Now let Floyd step into the octagon with McGregor..
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1040: Aug 27, 2017 11:21:53 pm

McGreggor would kill him, McGreggor had a slim chance of hurting Floyd in the boxing but Mayweather wouldn't have anything going into the octagon, Mayweather loves money but I don't think there's any amount that could even tempt him for that, he's not stupid
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1041: Aug 27, 2017 11:24:02 pm

Would hand Floyd's arse on plate... 20 second KO.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #1042: Aug 28, 2017 07:47:34 am

It would last 20 seconds...

Unless McGregor wanted it to go longer to put a beating on him
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,177 posts | 1630 
      Reply #1043: Aug 28, 2017 09:00:20 am
      Would hand Floyd's arse on plate... 20 second KO.

But of course he would. People say this as if Floyd would realistically consider it.

I can see how you would jump from the octagon to the ring as one set of skills is transferable and needs honing (a lot).

To go the other way a boxer would have to learn as a complete novice, it would be ludicrous.
      « Last Edit: Aug 28, 2017 09:07:22 am by RedWilly »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6916 
      Reply #1044: Aug 28, 2017 11:34:47 am

Didn't think McGregor hurt him once.  I think Lennox Lewis got it spot on when he said Mayweather let McGregor win what he wanted to let him win, which considering McGregor is 28 and at the age of peak fitness then it's even more impressive.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #1045: Aug 28, 2017 05:07:32 pm
      Didn't think McGregor hurt him once.  I think Lennox Lewis got it spot on when he said Mayweather let McGregor win what he wanted to let him win, which considering McGregor is 28 and at the age of peak fitness then it's even more impressive.

He didn't let him uppercut him, no way. I think he coasted for the first few rounds but that shouldn't have been taken jnto account for the judges. Not like it's the first time boxing judges have been shameful. In the end it didn't matter though so it is what it is
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8519 
      Reply #1046: Aug 29, 2017 03:02:09 am

Got to be honest, definitely don't think it was a great fight, yeah McGregor was unlucky when the ref stepped in, but he was pretty gassed from about the seventh round. Good to see Floyd be more aggressive but was always going to be one winner.

But now that pantomime is out of the way the fight I'm looking forward to in a couple of weeks is Canelo v GGG.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #1047: Aug 29, 2017 07:06:09 am
      Got to be honest, definitely don't think it was a great fight, yeah McGregor was unlucky when the ref stepped in, but he was pretty gassed from about the seventh round. Good to see Floyd be more aggressive but was always going to be one winner.

But now that pantomime is out of the way the fight I'm looking forward to in a couple of weeks is Canelo v GGG.

Canelo vs GGG will be a great fight. Think Canelo has him, if it were 3 years earlier he'd have beeb outclassed but GGG looked old in his last fight
      RedWilly

• 9,177 posts | 1630 
      Reply #1048: Aug 29, 2017 01:54:19 pm

Can't wait for that fight. Massive fan of Canello but GGG is an absolute machine, never seen someone with a chin like his! Going to be interesting that, very hard to call.
      Baconbutty
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts | 22 
      Reply #1049: Sep 11, 2017 07:43:40 pm
      The big one on Saturday. Got the potential to be a fight of the year contender, a modern day Hagler - Hearns. Hope we aren't disappointed. 12 months ago I'd have backed Golovkin but I'm edging towards a Canelo points win at the minute.

Expecting Billy Joe Saunders to put a disappointing couple of years behind him with a win against Munroe Jr too which would set up a unification for all the belts against the winner of Canelo - Golovkin.

Massive night for the middleweight division; I haven't looked forward to a night of boxing like this for a long time.
      RedWilly

• 9,177 posts | 1630 
      Reply #1050: Sep 11, 2017 07:50:26 pm
      The big one on Saturday. Got the potential to be a fight of the year contender, a modern day Hagler - Hearns. Hope we aren't disappointed. 12 months ago I'd have backed Golovkin but I'm edging towards a Canelo points win at the minute.

Expecting Billy Joe Saunders to put a disappointing couple of years behind him with a win against Munroe Jr too which would set up a unification for all the belts against the winner of Canelo - Golovkin.

Massive night for the middleweight division; I haven't looked forward to a night of boxing like this for a long time.

Canello GGG is the most exciting match up there has been in years imo.

Don't know which way this goes to be honest, I think Canello is brilliant and would win on points but GGG has so much power and an absolutely granite chin, so can't see Canello winning by KO.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1051: Sep 11, 2017 08:41:45 pm
      Canello GGG is the most exciting match up there has been in years imo.

Don't know which way this goes to be honest, I think Canello is brilliant and would win on points but GGG has so much power and an absolutely granite chin, so can't see Canello winning by KO.

I've got Canello points mate.

Think it's technically a great 12 rounder, neither will gain a ko,but Canello does the better work overall.
      Baconbutty
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts | 22 
      Reply #1052: Sep 11, 2017 09:39:28 pm
      Off the top of my head I can't think of any really big punchers that Canelo has been in with. Has his chin been tested yet? Kirkland is a decent puncher but can't remember him landing, Chavez Jr was weight drained and the majority of his other fights have been in the lower divisions.

You'd expect Golovkin to stalk him from the first bell as he usually does, and perhaps that will play into Canelo's hands as he's a solid counter puncher.

If that's the case though, then you've also gotta think GGG will land a bomb at some point. Think some people forget how good of a technical boxer GGG is too; his amateur record was superb and I'm pretty sure he won an Olympic medal, silver I think.

Proper interesting fight this, could go any way and nobody would be one bit surprised.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #1053: Sep 11, 2017 11:26:51 pm
      Can't wait for the fight.  Canello has ducked him till he has a chance against the 35 year old.   GGG isn't the fighter he was a couple of years ago.  GGG will need to deliver one more big performance and if he does he is going to knock him out.  8th round kO, me thinks.

Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #1054: Sep 11, 2017 11:34:54 pm
      Can't wait for the fight.  Canello has ducked him till he has a chance against the 35 year old.   GGG isn't the fighter he was a couple of years ago.  GGG will need to deliver one more big performance and if he does he is going to knock him out.  8th round kO, me thinks.

I see GGG winning 4/6 of the first half then Canelo taking over and hurting him bad to the body. Can even see a towel being thrown in. GGG looked real old in his last fight.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #1055: Sep 11, 2017 11:43:10 pm
      I agree that GGG doesn't look the same fighter even against a very ordinary Kell Brooks.  I'm hoping he can get ready for one big performance, he will be up for it.  Canelo only took the fight on because he thought GGG is over the hill.  This fight wasn't close to happening until the Mexican realised that his opponent is close to needing a walking stick.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1056: Sep 12, 2017 07:23:04 am
      I'm not sure he's waited until GGG is needing a walking stick mate.
      This is a lad who took on Floyd when he was only 23 and Floyd was still in his prime Miguel Cotto when he was 25, Shane Mosley when he was 22.
      He's got bigger names on his record than GGG.

I like GGG, he's looked great to be fair in the last 5 years apart from his last fight when may be he had his mind already on this one.

It could go either way but I just fancy Canelo points personally
      Baconbutty
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts | 22 
      Reply #1057: Sep 12, 2017 12:16:24 pm
      I'm not sure he's waited until GGG is needing a walking stick mate.
      This is a lad who took on Floyd when he was only 23 and Floyd was still in his prime Miguel Cotto when he was 25, Shane Mosley when he was 22.
      He's got bigger names on his record than GGG.

I like GGG, he's looked great to be fair in the last 5 years apart from his last fight when may be he had his mind already on this one.

It could go either way but I just fancy Canelo points personally

To be fair, Cotto and Mosley were both past their best. Mosley was 38/39 at the time. Canelo was naturally the bigger man in both instances too, and nobody ever turns down a fight with Floyd. Golovkin is an entirely different prospect.

I don't think Canelo was avoiding GGG though; I think that was Golden Boy. Don't think the fight would be happening if Golovkin beat Jacobs as emphatically as he did with others either.
      « Last Edit: Sep 12, 2017 01:00:42 pm by Baconbutty »

Quick Reply