Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Boxing

Read 221998 times
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Re: Boxing
      Reply #1196: Feb 24, 2020 10:08:53 pm
      Ha guess his voice broke at a late age.

It’s because in the build up to the fight he said he’d taste Wilders blood.

Well he certainly kept his word then  :D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1197: Feb 25, 2020 10:25:07 am
      Wilder thought AJ defeat to Ruiz was bad, well Wilder has now completely embarrassed himself by saying he lost because his ring walk outfit was too heavy.

Apparently it weighed about 18kg. If a heavyweight boxer is struggling after essentially carrying an 18kg weight for however many yards then he probably shouldn’t be involved in heavyweight boxing.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1198: Feb 26, 2020 10:59:58 pm
      Wilder thought AJ defeat to Ruiz was bad, well Wilder has now completely embarrassed himself by saying he lost because his ring walk outfit was too heavy.

Apparently it weighed about 18kg. If a heavyweight boxer is struggling after essentially carrying an 18kg weight for however many yards then he probably shouldn’t be involved in heavyweight boxing.

Still though - why would you go and carry nearly 3 and half stone around on your way into a heavyweight championship.

F***ing daft.

It's clearly not the whole reason, but you have to say Fury had a far more relaxing build up to that fight. 

Can't say I've ever been a massive fan of Fury but there must be something about him to beat both Klitshko (admittedly at the end of his career) and this Wilder.

I don't think the Heavyweight division is particularly strong at the minute - go back 20 years and there was loads of proper nuts bas**rds in it.  Hope the two British fellas manage to get it on and unify the belts.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #1199: Feb 27, 2020 06:40:10 am
      Still though - why would you go and carry nearly 3 and half stone around on your way into a heavyweight championship.

F***ing daft.

It's clearly not the whole reason, but you have to say Fury had a far more relaxing build up to that fight. 

Can't say I've ever been a massive fan of Fury but there must be something about him to beat both Klitshko (admittedly at the end of his career) and this Wilder.

I don't think the Heavyweight division is particularly strong at the minute - go back 20 years and there was loads of proper nuts bas**rds in it.  Hope the two British fellas manage to get it on and unify the belts.
      Even if they do that JD it won’t last long as as they would have to relinquish one or two belts to fulfill obligations they all have mandatory challengers and they can’t fight them all , be like the old days then fighting more than twice three times a year,
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1200: Feb 27, 2020 08:05:14 am
      Even if they do that JD it won’t last long as as they would have to relinquish one or two belts to fulfill obligations they all have mandatory challengers and they can’t fight them all , be like the old days then fighting more than twice three times a year,

Surely for the belts Fury has Joshua must be the challenger.

And vice versa.

Or does it not work like that?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1201: Feb 27, 2020 09:41:02 am
      Surely for the belts Fury has Joshua must be the challenger.

And vice versa.

Or does it not work like that?

Nah it's fu**ed.

Pulev is mandatory for one of Joshua's, Usyk is too (there's a strange rule where he automatically becomes mandatory because he was the champion at cruiserweight) and I think now he's cleared of the whole doping thing Whyte might be a mandatory for Fury's belt.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1202: Feb 27, 2020 09:56:00 am
      Nah it's fu**ed.

Pulev is mandatory for one of Joshua's, Usyk is too (there's a strange rule where he automatically becomes mandatory because he was the champion at cruiserweight) and I think now he's cleared of the whole doping thing Whyte might be a mandatory for Fury's belt.

Whyte is yeah, think he is mandatory which has a time limit attached that he gets his shot by April 2021

You're right about the mandatories and if they dont fight those mandatory fighters then they have to give up that belt
      Only ways around it either by a full unification ( like a Fury AJ) being signed, and then those mandatories have to wait to fight the winner down the line or a pre signed rematch like Wilder has, he had 30 days from the date of the second fight to envoke the rematch

Its very very unlikely that AJ Fury will happen this year because of training and fight schedules not matching and the Wilder rematch, that's more likely that they wait until summer 2021 when they can get those schedules aligned and will obviously then depend on Fury Wilder 3, AJ Pulev fights and them both coming through them

Usek is also a AJ mandatory but hes facing Chisora this summer, so after AJ Pulev and Wilder Fury you could have Fury Whyte and AJ Usek late this year early next before the AJ Fury fight summer 21

A lot of fights and aligning to do before AJ Fury potentially happens
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1203: Feb 27, 2020 10:06:31 am
      Its very very unlikely that AJ Fury will happen this year because of training and fight schedules not matching and the Wilder rematch, that's more likely that they wait until summer 2021 when they can get those schedules aligned and will obviously then depend on Fury Wilder 3, AJ Pulev fights and them both coming through them

Usek is also a AJ mandatory but hes facing Chisora this summer, so after AJ Pulev and Wilder Fury you could have Fury Whyte and AJ Usek late this year early next before the AJ Fury fight summer 21

Got to say.  That's a hell of a lot more complicated than I thought.  Just had a quick look at wikipedia and it says that for some of the belts there is 2 or 3 champions as well!!  Christ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_world_boxing_champions#Heavyweight_(200+_lb/90.7+_kg)
      Kopite78
      Reply #1204: Feb 27, 2020 10:21:01 am
      Got to say.  That's a hell of a lot more complicated than I thought.  Just had a quick look at wikipedia and it says that for some of the belts there is 2 or 3 champions as well!!  Christ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_world_boxing_champions#Heavyweight_(200+_lb/90.7+_kg)

Yeah it's bad enough with 4 governing bodies nowadays but when they then throw in their diamond belts, silver belts, franchise champions etc it makes it even more farcical

But ultimately there is only 1 champion for each belt, it's just each sanctioning body of that belt has their own rankings.

Whyte for example is no.1 mandatory with the wbc but apart from the IBO where he is ranked 4 hes no where near the other two

However if he faught AJ again and beat him hed win all the belts

It's a mess now with all the bodies, I'd much prefer one champion at each weight and then a ring champion potentially on top of that

Usek as well has only had one fight as a heavyweight but is straight to no.1 mandatory with WBO because he was their cruiserweight champion and he gave up the belt to go up to heavyweight so they have him mandatory at the new weight

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #1205: Feb 27, 2020 11:15:53 am
      There’s a lot more to boxing ie fights and getting them on , that’s why you very rarely get an undisputed champion these days there are lots of pies and lots of fingers in them .
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1206: Feb 27, 2020 04:46:45 pm

F***ing daft.

Wilder done an interview not long ago saying he trains in a 45lb vest so his excuse looks even worse.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1207: Mar 01, 2020 04:17:55 pm
      Tyson Fury showed why he is levels ahead of the rest when it comes to natural ability.

IF the 3rd fight is going to happen Wilder needs to really re-evaluate his camp and people around him because he showed nothing that fight. I am tempted to say he should go all guns blazing from round 1 because as we saw all it takes is one bad hit to the back of the ahead and nothing is the same.

Looks like we won't see Joshua vs Fury until next year until then I would like to see Joshua fight either Usyk or Whyte again, he wins either/both of those and he goes into rich form to fight Fury.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1208: Mar 01, 2020 05:27:10 pm
      Wilder seemingly determined to go for the third fight. Disappointed as it pushes the unification fight further back. Also disappointing for the likes of Whyte whose shot at a world title will get further delayed.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1209: Mar 01, 2020 05:30:49 pm
      Wilder seemingly determined to go for the third fight. Disappointed as it pushes the unification fight further back. Also disappointing for the likes of Whyte whose shot at a world title will get further delayed.

Unfortunately, I think the chances of Whyte getting a shot anytime soon were virtually non existent regardless. He’s been wanting a rematch with AJ for ages now but keeps having him and Hearn fob him off so the chances of him getting a shot at Wilder or Fury for their title simply wouldn’t have happened when it’s what AJ wants.

As it goes though, reckon Whyte would beat AJ and put up a better fight against Wilder/Fury than what AJ would.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1210: Mar 01, 2020 06:09:16 pm
      Unfortunately, I think the chances of Whyte getting a shot anytime soon were virtually non existent regardless. He’s been wanting a rematch with AJ for ages now but keeps having him and Hearn fob him off so the chances of him getting a shot at Wilder or Fury for their title simply wouldn’t have happened when it’s what AJ wants.

As it goes though, reckon Whyte would beat AJ and put up a better fight against Wilder/Fury than what AJ would.

Hes not in a rankings position to challenge AJ I'm afraid

When they fought the first time it was for a British title. Now AJ is world champion and Whyte isn't in a mandatory position then it's out of AJ and Hearns hands frankly

He is Fury

He has a guaranteed WBC title shot by April '21

If the Wilder Fury 3rd fight happens then depending on a unification he would get the winner with the WBC

He has no right to fight for any of AJs and AJ is duty bound to fight his mandatories which isn't Whyte

Wilder has no choice.. the money is in the 3rd fight.. to start again and try to go through the other sanctioning boards rankings hed get no where near the money hed get for the 3rd
      « Last Edit: Mar 01, 2020 06:20:17 pm by Kopite78 »
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #1211: Mar 01, 2020 06:31:33 pm

Who do you have winning the unification fight?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1212: Mar 01, 2020 06:37:30 pm
      Who do you have winning the unification fight?

Fury if he's at the level he was last week although I think it'll be closer than a lot of people think. AJ's win over Ruiz in the rematch showed he can box a different way when needed but of course Fury is the best around currently in terms of that so he probably edges it. I'm not really bothered either way who wins it but I just want to see the fight and someone get all four belts - will be a long time before it happens again.

Wilder has no choice.. the money is in the 3rd fight.. to start again and try to go through the other sanctioning boards rankings hed get no where near the money hed get for the 3rd

Oh yeah I agree from Wilder's point of view. Just disappointing for the neutral. No way Wilder wins fight number three.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #1213: Mar 01, 2020 06:46:18 pm
      Fury if he's at the level he was last week although I think it'll be closer than a lot of people think. AJ's win over Ruiz in the rematch showed he can box a different way when needed but of course Fury is the best around currently in terms of that so he probably edges it. I'm not really bothered either way who wins it but I just want to see the fight and someone get all four belts - will be a long time before it happens again.

Oh yeah I agree from Wilder's point of view. Just disappointing for the neutral. No way Wilder wins fight number three.

I would love to see Ruiz have another pop at Joshua to be honest, I think Ruiz wasn't prepared at all and we really could get a hell of a third fight out of that one.

Ruiz vs Joshua 3
      Fury vs Wilder 3

Winner vs Winner
      Loser vs Loser

Maybe have Whyte go up against Usyk as well, that would be a hell of a fight.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1214: Mar 01, 2020 07:16:59 pm
      Joshua for me he is far more talented than Wilder who has one weapon and that's it granted it is a hell of a weapon . Fury used Wilder lag a rag doll he really didn't learn anything from their first fight.
      However AJ can win in many different ways although the money side of boxing is always the winner so we may never see the fight
      Kopite78
      Reply #1215: Mar 01, 2020 07:25:20 pm

Hes got a big right hand so theres always a punches chance

I agree though, I'd have a fury all day

But the deal is fair.. whichever fighter lost had the opportunity to enact the 3rd within 30 days

I would love to see Ruiz have another pop at Joshua to be honest, I think Ruiz wasn't prepared at all and we really could get a hell of a third fight out of that one.

Ruiz vs Joshua 3
      Fury vs Wilder 3

Winner vs Winner
      Loser vs Loser

Maybe have Whyte go up against Usyk as well, that would be a hell of a fight.

That's not how the rankings system works unfortunately

Ruiz is a bum, got lucky that AJ didn't take him seriously first fight, he was a late replacement and AJ just thought he would roll him.

AJ wins a 3rd easier than he won the second
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #1216: Mar 01, 2020 07:36:09 pm

Ruiz is a bum, got lucky that AJ didn't take him seriously first fight, he was a late replacement and AJ just thought he would roll him.

AJ wins a 3rd easier than he won the second

Can't say I agree with that, before the Joshua fight Ruiz only lost once and that was a dodgy decision on points in New Zealand against Parker.

I don't rate Joshua as much as most and think if Ruiz goes into the fight again with the appetite of the first then he could pose a big threat to Joshua again, the last fight he didn't get in Joshua's face, I know Joshua changed his game plan to nullify Ruiz's threat but even when Ruiz had the chance to threaten he threw 1-2s instead of throwing combos.

Guess we will have to just wait and see what happens.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1217: Mar 01, 2020 07:45:31 pm
      Can't say I agree with that, before the Joshua fight Ruiz only lost once and that was a dodgy decision on points in New Zealand against Parker.

I don't rate Joshua as much as most and think if Ruiz goes into the fight again with the appetite of the first then he could pose a big threat to Joshua again, the last fight he didn't get in Joshua's face, I know Joshua changed his game plan to nullify Ruiz's threat but even when Ruiz had the chance to threaten he threw 1-2s instead of throwing combos.

Guess we will have to just wait and see what happens.

They wont fight again so I dont think we will find out.

Have you watched the Ruiz Parker fight? The right man won.. Parker threw more, landed more and did overall the far better work.  It wasnt a dodgy decision at all

Like I said with Ruiz AJ 1
      AJ was meant to be fighting Miller who got under his skin, Hearn then took too long in finding a replacement and AJ took him lightly

Have you looked at Ruiz Boxrec? Who he fought prior to say Parker and AJ?
      The likes of Kevin Johnson whod lost 9
      Devin Vargas whod lost 4
      Ray Austin whod lost 6
      Raphael Zumbaro whod lost 11
      Joel Godfrey whod lost 14

Ruiz wasnt robbed against Parker and he was in the right place at the right time against AJ
      Hes set him and his family up for life, fair play, but hes not anywhere near a top level fighter
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #1218: Mar 01, 2020 07:52:11 pm
      They wont fight again so I dont think we will find out.

Have you watched the Ruiz Parker fight? The right man won.. Parker threw more, landed more and did overall the far better work.  It wasnt a dodgy decision at all

Like I said with Ruiz AJ 1
      AJ was meant to be fighting Miller who got under his skin, Hearn then took too long in finding a replacement and AJ took him lightly

Have you looked at Ruiz Boxrec? Who he fought prior to say Parker and AJ?
      The likes of Kevin Johnson whod lost 9
      Devin Vargas whod lost 4
      Ray Austin whod lost 6
      Raphael Zumbaro whod lost 11
      Joel Godfrey whod lost 14

Ruiz wasnt robbed against Parker and he was in the right place at the right time against AJ
      Hes set him and his family up for life, fair play, but hes not anywhere near a top level fighter

Pretty sure Joshua has said he will honour their verbal agreement of the third fight, it might not happen immediately but Joshua doesn't strike me as someone who won't keep to their word.

I will be honest I didn't watch the whole fight but I did see the highlights and from what I saw Ruiz was the one with the pressure and throwing the power punches.

Quick Reply