Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Boxing

Read 222033 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Re: Boxing
      Reply #759: May 05, 2015 03:49:34 pm
      Somehow I think this was always going to come out & be used as an excuse for a 2nd lucrative fight.

Bit like David Haye with his toe excuse, just come out with it from the off.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #760: May 05, 2015 04:24:19 pm
      Manny should have brought it up on the day of the weigh in when he filled in the medical questionnaire.

How can anybody think it's right that a fighter should be getting pain killing injections right before a fight though?

For one it's going to endanger the recipient as his pain threshold has been tampered with meaning it would be harder for him to judge and how is it fair on his opponent that the guy he is meant to be fighting has had pain killers?

Look, I prefer it when two men are trying to knock each other out but Floyd was head and shoulders above him in terms of speed, tactics and boxing ability. Way above.

A great boxer will always beat a great fighter.

Blame Floyd for it coming 4/5 years too late maybe but on the night, Manny just wasn't good enough.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #761: May 05, 2015 06:25:41 pm
      Cry me a river Manny. I lost a tonne of respect for him or any fighter who blames injuries. The Nevada State Athletic Commission as w-a-h-s said make you fill in a form informing them of any injuries. He has to be cleared by a doctor to fight so any injuries not picked up can't be that serious. Now if gets injured during the fight it's different in many ways but still if he had 3 arms he wouldn't have won that fight. Really not the actions of a politician to be thinking of excuses  :f_tongueincheek:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #762: May 05, 2015 09:58:30 pm
      So glad I stayed up to watch that poxy fight! Almost as bad as when I stayed up to watch Hatton get knocked out in the first round.

Mayweather is like Mourinho, a coward.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #763: May 06, 2015 01:08:50 am
      So glad I stayed up to watch that poxy fight! Almost as bad as when I stayed up to watch Hatton get knocked out in the first round.

Mayweather is like Mourinho, a coward.

I'll never forget Tyson V Holyfield at me mates. After 5am I think it came on and with one eye open I managed to stay up for him to bite his F***ing ear off just as me open eye closed. Woke up about an hour later with no eye brows.

Still pisses me off that.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #764: May 30, 2015 10:23:51 pm
      Anthony Joshua needs to fight a big name soon, he's destroying everyone at the moment.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #765: May 31, 2015 06:00:13 pm
      Anthony Joshua needs to fight a big name soon, he's destroying everyone at the moment.

Surely it has to be quits for Johnson now after that demolition by Joshua. He's now lost 6 of his last 7 fights and looked to offer absolutely nothing last night.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #766: Jun 20, 2015 12:57:55 pm
      Andre Ward slams 'unprofessional' Paul Smith who misses catchweight by 4.4lbs

Andre Ward branded Paul Smith 'unprofessional' after the British fighter weighed in 4.4lbs over the 172-pound catchweight limit for their Saturday showdown in California.

Smith came in at 176.6lbs with American Ward at 171.8. The two teams, after hours in talks, have come up with a new, as yet unknown weight limit, which both men must make at another weigh-in later today. Smith will also have to pay a fine for not making 172lbs.

For his last fight, against WBO super-middleweight champion Arthur Abraham, Smith weighed 165.5lbs.

Ward looked lean and in relaxed mood as he returns to the ring after 19 months away and he hit out at Smith for coming in at cruiserweight.

"I'm disappointed with Paul," he told Sky Sports News HQ. "I heard last night that as of yesterday morning he was eight pounds over. You've got to realise in negotiations, my team said 172 and he fought to have it at 170. And he comes in four pounds overweight. It's very unprofessional.

"Right now my team has work to do with the commission and with Paul's team. We're just not going to be okay with that. I did my part to make my weight like a professional. If he struggled that much with the weight he should have alerted us a long time ago. There could have been a change in the weight. If you wait until the last minute and then get on the scales - it's not a good look.

"It makes you think, 'is this a strategy?' It doesn't make me more confident - it makes me more motivated. I did my part to make the weight. He didn't and I feel a certain way about that."

Smith's promoter Eddie Hearn admits Smith miscalculated.

"Obviously he got things wrong," he said. "Mainly with the travelling and the water retention, the way he does the weight - he's taken on a lot of fluids - and it hasn't worked out for him. Now he's missed the weight.

"We'll talk - I'm sure it will be fine for the fight. It seems to be a common trend right now in boxing. There are always issues now to resolve and discuss."

http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/9890548/andre-ward-slams-unprofessional-paul-smith-who-misses-catchweight-by-44lbs

Unfortunately I don't see Smith achieving much in this fight. He seemed quite negative in his interview during the week too, this weight problem only adds to that. Going for Ward to win convincingly and possibly with a late stoppage.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #767: Jul 18, 2015 09:57:14 pm
      Anyone watching the Carl Frampton fight?

Great to see boxing on ITV again and credit to Carl and his team for going this route.

Hope the wee man wins tonight!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #768: Jul 18, 2015 10:01:16 pm
      Forgot how boring Duke McKenzie is.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #769: Jul 18, 2015 10:13:28 pm
      Carl in a bit of bother in the first.

Down twice in the round.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #770: Jul 18, 2015 10:24:00 pm
      Just switched to Frampton now.

Good win for Quigg just now, hopefully Crolla can get a win too after everything he's been through in the last year.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #771: Jul 18, 2015 10:26:02 pm
      Better round there from Carl.

Needs to establish himself more as Gonzalez is a tricky customer.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #772: Jul 18, 2015 10:26:23 pm
      Just switched to Frampton now.

Good win for Quigg just now, hopefully Crolla can get a win too after everything he's been through in the last year.

How did Quigg look mate?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #773: Jul 18, 2015 10:30:05 pm

Looked like it could have been a really tough fight after the first round but he absolutely smashed it in the second round, really impressive stuff.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #774: Jul 18, 2015 10:33:50 pm
      Looked like it could have been a really tough fight after the first round but he absolutely smashed it in the second round, really impressive stuff.

Cheers.

Good couple of rounds from Carl now and getting a hold of this fight.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #775: Jul 18, 2015 10:54:58 pm
      The amount of low blows from Gonzalez has been ridiculous.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #776: Jul 18, 2015 11:02:25 pm
      Carl on points.

Deserved it and came back well after being down twice in the first.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #777: Jul 19, 2015 12:00:05 am
      Crolla could have done with Howard Webb as a referee/judge tonight
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #778: Aug 01, 2015 11:14:57 pm
      Looking forward to this bout, I like Luke Cambell, think he's an excellent young boxer who could go all the way.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #779: Sep 12, 2015 10:48:43 pm
      Anthony Joshua

Big future
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #780: Sep 20, 2015 12:53:59 am
      Big shout to Sean 'Masher' Dodd tonight. Stepped right up to the plate and caused a huge upset by beating Gary Buckland and getting to do it on Sky Sports 1. He was meant to be on the undercard in a 6 rounder but then stepped in late to face the much more travelled, more fancied and definitely more experienced Buckland who I think was meant to be fighting Scott Cardle originally.

If anyone from the Wirral knows me local The Willows, well, his Aunty runs it. She always banging on about him and pushing his fights but to be honest I've always not really been interested or inadvertently turned a blind eye.

I am interested now though ;) #bandwagon. To be fair the lad done very, very well and now unbelievably gets a shot at Scott Cardle for a British title in November I think. What a difference a week makes. His interview after the fight was top drawer too and getting lots of praise on Twitter if you search for Sean Masher Dodd.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #781: Dec 12, 2015 11:12:59 pm
      Tell you what, Joshua's in a fight here.

Quick Reply