Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Boxing

Read 222037 times
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Boxing
      Jan 15, 2009 07:35:44 pm
      There are plenty of boxing fans so I thought it should have it's own thread.

Latest news:

Khan sets up Barrera fight

Amir Khan will fight Mexican legend Marco Antonio Barrera on March 14.

Securing a fight against the seven-times, three-weight world champion - regarded as a modern great - is a coup for promoter Frank Warren.

Warren's website said that while a venue is yet to be confirmed, the bout will take place in the UK.

Barrera has won 64 of his 71 fights and at 34 has plenty of miles on the clock, but he remains a formidable opponent and the biggest test of Khan's 20-fight career to date.

Winning his first world title in 1995, Barrera has faced Manny Pacquiao, Juan Manuel Marquez and Erik Morales in a record that includes a unanimous points win over Naseem Hamed in 2001.

Khan bounced back from his brutal 54-second knockout by Breidis Prescott last September with an impressive two-round demolition of Oisin Fagan.

The 22-year-old lightweight dispensed with trainer Jorge Rubio after the Prescott defeat, his first professional loss, and is now being guided by Freddie Roach.

Facing Barrera is a major gamble for Khan, coming just two fights after being flattened by Prescott, and he will be taking a significant step up in class.

"This is a huge step up for Amir who had some serious thoughts about it. The discussions over the fight finished at 4am this morning," Warren said.

"It's a big fight for Amir who has been champing at the bit. This is the right fight for Amir at this stage of his career.

"I believe it will bring out the best in him. This puts him well and truly on the world stage."

link

I think Kahn is gonna get a hiding.  Barrera is getting on (34) but I think he will have far too much for Kahn.

Barrera is one the greats of this era - his three fights with Morales are a must-see for any fight fan.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Re: Boxing
      Reply #1: Jan 15, 2009 10:59:24 pm
      Wow can hardley believe it.i reckon the first hit on Khan's chin will be the last punch thrown!!Does'nt matter how good a fighter you are,if you have a glass jaw end of,(hope i'm totally wrong. :mad:
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #2: Jan 16, 2009 08:44:45 pm
      I hate Khan with a pashion, hope he gets his ass handed to him again. Like Joey said, he has a glass jaw, he'll never be great because of it
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 188 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #3: Jan 18, 2009 10:29:51 am
      I don't think Khan has the skill he may go 4 or 5 rounds then we'll see the soles of his boots night night :boxing: :sleeping-smiley-011: :f_tardis: is there a doctor in house.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #4: Jan 27, 2009 09:11:32 pm
      The only reason I can imagine Khan is considering this fight is that he thinks Barrera is past it,there's no way he would take him in his prime,the man was literally unstoppable he walked through opponents to order.Even now he's got more than enough fire power to see Khan off,the prospect of him getting KO'd before the third is a real possibility.Barrera packs a KO punch with either hand and Khan cannot take the punishment,no matter what your views of the man you have got to give him credit in the fact that he is a skillful fighter but in fighting Barrera he is stepping up a level,don't reckon he'll make the third.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #5: Jan 27, 2009 09:15:00 pm
      even though he's getting on a bit, Barrera is a class act.  i reckon young amir may have bitten off more than he can chew here.  if he loses this one his career is effectively over.  very risky if you ask me.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #6: Jan 27, 2009 09:26:11 pm
      even though he's getting on a bit, Barrera is a class act.  i reckon young amir may have bitten off more than he can chew here.  if he loses this one his career is effectively over.  very risky if you ask me.
      Can't believe he's taking him on,he's been criticised for selecting easy opponents the majority have been walkovers he has had two or three tough fights but no one in the Barrera class,Frank Warren won't pull him back he'll be on a nice little dropsy thank you very much.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #7: Mar 09, 2009 05:03:38 pm
      So they're getting it on next week F***ing sky have got the exclusive on it have to go the alehouse to watch it,still think Barrera will knock him out.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #8: Mar 09, 2009 06:25:12 pm
      Mr Dunne has a world title fight soon
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #9: Mar 09, 2009 06:52:01 pm
      So they're getting it on next week f**king sky have got the exclusive on it have to go the alehouse to watch it,still think Barrera will knock him out.

You'll be lucky Stuey its pay per view.I wouldn't pay £15 to see Khan get Knocked out in probably 2 rnds.Do hope I'm wrong and will be the first back on here to say so.See with boxers you can't cure a glass chin. Finally i WOULD like to wish Khan the best of luck cos IMO its a brave undertaking. :boxing:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #10: Mar 09, 2009 09:34:54 pm
       There's no way it'll go more than three Joey so £15 is a joke,I think Barrera will be harder to drop now than when he was in his prime,he may have slowed down  some but he's still got too much for Khan to handle,if it goes the other way like yourself mate I'll be on here and hold my hands up but I can't see it happening.   
      « Last Edit: Mar 10, 2009 09:11:58 am by stuey »
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #11: Mar 10, 2009 06:46:29 am
      I think the fight will start around 1 am with the first replay about 2 minutes past...  ;)

I always liked Barrera, he will destroy Khan.

Also on the card:

Nicky Cook defends his WBO featherweight title against unbeaten, number 1 contender, Roman Martinez.  Should be a good fight.

Enzo Maccarinelli resumes his comeback from last years humiliation, at the hands of David Haye, against Ola Afolabi - I don't know much about this American.  Anyone?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #12: Mar 10, 2009 09:28:01 am

Enzo Maccarinelli resumes his comeback from last years humiliation, at the hands of David Haye, against Ola Afolabi - I don't know much about this American.  Anyone?
      Ola Afolabi was born in London is 28yrs. old and 6ft 3,he fights in the cruiserweight division and now lives in California.He has won 13 lost 1 and drawn 3 and goes by the alias of Kryptonite.
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #13: Mar 10, 2009 10:18:24 am
      From Wiki:
      Afolabi turned pro at Light-Heavyweight in California in 2002. In 2003 he was outpointed by Allan Green and went up a division. He beat a small heavyweight clubfighter in Willie Chapman and added James Walton and Michael Simms to his victims. He also KOd faded ex-champ Orlin Norris. His biggest win came over undefeated highly-touted Eric Fields whom he KOd in 2008.

I could be wrong and he could be the next 'big thing' but I will predict Enzo in 2.
      5starred
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts |
      Reply #14: Mar 10, 2009 04:09:51 pm
      enzo maccarinelli win by ko in the 3rd (sort of local boy lives 5 miles from me) and im glad you put boxing on here when ever you say I think khan will lose or I hope khan gets another lose on other sites all you get is racist pig and so on even when you say no im not racist I just think he is over hyped and now proven he got a glass chin and would be a rubbish champion any way how can Ola Afolabi be in a title fight he's ranked 21st in the world may change it to a 1st round ko ok all be it the interim wbo world cruiserweight championship
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #15: Mar 10, 2009 04:28:25 pm
      D'yer know I think boxing has to be the least racist sport there is. :boxing:
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #16: Mar 13, 2009 12:34:35 pm
      Barrera will EAT Khan alive. The man is different class and has been all his career, 7 world titles prove that.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #17: Mar 13, 2009 06:15:49 pm
      Me thinks Frankie Boy Warren just going for one more pay packet from Khan.Cos after tomorrow Khan will be no more.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #18: Mar 14, 2009 11:26:46 pm
      D'yer know I think boxing has to be the least racist sport there is. :boxing:
      Disagree here, not many white fighters in America that ai know of.
      Barrera will EAT Khan alive. The man is different class and has been all his career, 7 world titles prove that.
      Not at the moment, Barrera is badly cut,
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #19: Mar 14, 2009 11:33:36 pm
      Khan WINS!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #20: Mar 15, 2009 12:26:20 am
      Maccarinellli took the knock after underestimating his opponent in the cruiserweight fight with Ola Afolabi ,such a statement is inexcusable from a fighter of his apparent experience and his future can only be described as uncertain in the light of this defeat,he was on the deck early in the fight and knocked out in the ninth its sad
       to say but it looks like the end of the road for this fighter.
      « Last Edit: Mar 15, 2009 12:49:14 am by stuey »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #21: Mar 15, 2009 12:38:27 am
      Amir Khan's rejuvenation was confirmed when he outclassed ring legend Marco Antonio Barrera.

The boy from Bolton turned in a blistering display to dominate the proud Mexican from first the very first punch on a pulsating night at the MEN Arena in Manchester.

The victory eventually came in the fifth round, courtesy of an horrific cut cause by a first-round clash of heads, but was inevitable, such was Khan's dominance.

Too fast, too strong, too big and too young even for the great Barrera, he looked every inch the fighter to pull British boxing back from a bad night that had seen Nicky Cook lose his world title and Enzo Maccarinelli his way.

The punch-perfect performance was also a far cry from the stunning first-round loss to Breidis Prescott six months ago and surely signalled Khan's Coming of Age - and arrival on the world title scene.

It also signalled a sade demise for a true great, a nasty clash of heads doing for Barrera as much as his opponent's blistering handspeed. That said, he'd have done well to stave off the younger man with two clear eyes, Khan was that quick.

Performance

Just as encouragingly, there was a patience about his approach. In and out, he let punches go in bunches before retreating behind a high guard whereas before he might have stood, admired his work and invariably got tagged back. Freddie Roach has re-invented him and as a reward, got the perfect performance he had asked for.

And also, he showed that he can take a shot at last. Twice Barrera did catch him and twice he absorbed them. Admittedly, they were punches from a 35-year-old moving up to lightweight and in the 73rd fight of a storybook career, but still they didn't shake Khan. He even threw his arms to the air as if to make his point after the second left hook had caught him flush on the chin.

The only disappointment was the way it ended, referee Dave Parris and the ringside physician calling it off at the third time of looking. The cut looked like something from a road accident, but even if it did come from a clumsy clash, Barrera had pretty much been run over from the first bell.

Bizarrely he was booed as he made his way into the ring. Barrera meanwhile was cheered to the rafters as Manchester became Mexico for one night only. But it didn't last, as much as the Manchester fight fans love a legend, they also love a fighter who is good and game. And the boy from Bolton was both.

Rejuvenation

It was Barrera though who landed the first real blow of the night, the swivelling left hook to the body that has beaten so many down the years reminding Khan that for all the talk of rejuvenation, he was still in with future Hall of Famer and a man that has been through more world title bouts than he's had professional fights.

The clash of heads aside, the round was slick stuff. Khan popping off a left-right combination before zipping back out of range. Then the size of the cut became clear and soon, the Mexican's face was awash with blood, his left eye a red, blurred mess.

Try as they might, Barrera's corner couldn't stop the bleeding and as soon as the action started up again, Khan was at the cut. Two left jabs rocked his man and then a crunching right showed there is power in both hands. And he had time to land three, four, five punch flurries as the veteran, whether he could see or not, simply couldn't respond.

Khan doubled up that jab at the start and also showed plenty of lateral movement whenever the grizzled old Mexican threatened to fire back. Light on his feet, the 22-year-old was able to keep at a safe distance until he decides to back Barrera up, landing two rights as he pushed him across the ring and onto the ropes.

Blood then spurted up and out of the cut and suddenly it became clear that Khan might not be the official reason for Barrera's seventh professional defeat.

Lightning

Halfway through round four, the doctor was called but of course Barrera wanted to box on. Sensing he was on borrowed time for the first time in the fight he launched at Khan, whipping in that left to the ribs as the youngster back-pedalled.

Tellingly, it was a single-punch onslaught, nothing compared to the lightning six-punch combination that had come the other way, seconds earlier.

The fifth was clearly Barrera's last stand and he came out looking for a finish. Even then you found yourself recollecting him harrying Erik Morales across the ring all those years, the left merrily leading the way, the right cocked waiting for its chance to join the charge.

But try as he might, he could not get close and reality soon kicked back in as Khan caught him with left hook to the chin that even he acknowledged.

Then though, the cut was looked at again and all that was left was for Barrera to catch Khan with a right, that he duly absorbed before being told that the fight was over. Blood-stained but unbowed he may have been - and complaining about a butt - but the Mexican will also know he was out-boxed.

The judges thought so too, the cards returning a 50-45, 50-45, 50-44 verdict - one scoring round one 10-8. It will go down as a technical decision in the books and it might even go down as the last time we see Marco Antonio Barrera in a boxing ring, certainly on these shorts.

But it will also go down as the night Amir Khan finally came of age."

Sky Sports.

Really gutted I missed this fight and if it wasn't for Box Office charging a stupid amount I would have seen it :(
      « Last Edit: Mar 15, 2009 08:25:00 am by ayrton77, Reason: Changed to news format »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #22: Mar 15, 2009 01:00:40 am
      "Amir Khan's rejuvenation was confirmed when he outclassed ring legend Marco Antonio Barrera.[/ed I missed this fight and if it wasn't for Box Office charging a stupid amount I would have seen it :(
      there should be a law against it cos thats nothing but exthortion what they were asking to see this fight,but fair play to the lad he done well

Quick Reply