Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Stevie : Pepe is the man! and mini-me in the making.

Read 1248 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Stevie : Pepe is the man! and mini-me in the making.
      Mar 30, 2009 04:33:37 pm
      Steven Gerrard today hailed Pepe Reina as one of the finest goalkeepers in world football.

The Spaniard's clean sheet in the recent victory over Aston Villa was his 100th for the Reds and meant he became the quickest custodian in the club's history to reach the milestone.

It's a statistic that has impressed his Anfield captain, who also highlighted Reina's contribution to Liverpool's excellent recent run of form.

"We're really happy with the keeper that we've got at Liverpool and as far as I'm concerned Pepe is probably the best in the world in his position right now," said Gerrard.

"If you look at the games we've won of late, Pepe has played a really important part in those victories by making important saves at vital moments and he's even created a couple of goals as well.

"So we know just how good he is and he is definitely one of the world's best."

Meanwhile, Gerrard is tipping Reds youngster Jay Spearing to challenge for a first-team place at Anfield.

The 20-year-old made an impressive cameo appearance in the 4-0 demolition of Real Madrid earlier this month and Gerrard believes the Academy graduate has what it takes to make an impact on Rafa Benitez's senior setup.

"I was delighted for Jay because I think a few people will have been surprised by the way he performed after coming on against Real Madrid but I wasn't one of them," added the Liverpool skipper.

"First of all, you have to give credit to the manager for giving a young player a chance in such a big game and Jay certainly did not let him down.

"I see him in training all the time and he's got a good touch, he passes the ball well and he keeps thing simple and it was good to see him show what he is all about in a game like this.

"He certainly won't let anyone down if he is given more chances in the future."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a seperate topic.

ALDO: MY ADMIRATION FOR STEVIE G

John Aldridge has spoken of his admiration for Steven Gerrard and has joined the list in backing him for the the PFA Player of the Year award.

Kop hero Aldo is a big fan of Gerrard's and believes he should be the leading contender for the 2009 honour.

"I am not in the least bit surprised that Steven Gerrard is receiving so much backing to win the PFA player of the year award because for me he is the number one candidate," said Aldridge.

"Of the leading contenders he is the one who really stands out because he brings so much to the team he plays for.

"Steven is Liverpool's top scorer and is only a couple of goals behind Nicolas Anelka in the Premier League charts, he gives 100 per cent in every single game, he is the talisman and the leader on the pitch.

"It's common in cricket for players who can bat and bowl to be described as all rounders but Steven is football's all rounder because he can do everything to an extremely high standard.

"I know that the likes of Nemanja Vidic and Ryan Giggs have received a lot of support for the PFA award but as well as they have done for Man United I just don't think they contribute as much to their team as Steven does to Liverpool.

"I was trying to think of a weakness to his game and I honestly can't think of any.

"The way he performed against Aston Villa last Sunday was a great illustration of how good he is. Overall, he produced a fantastic display which was rewarded with a hat-trick.

"Two of his goals were penalties and this in itself shows how far Steven has come because I can remember a time when he wasn't that convincing from the spot.

"Zinedine Zidane couldn't have been more right when he came out and said Steven is the best player in the world because that is exactly what he is.

"My only worry with the PFA award is that the votes are cast earlier in the season than the Football Writers award and maybe some of his fellow professionals will have been influenced by all the positive publicity Giggs and Vidic were getting a couple of months ago when United were flying.

"But whatever way the vote goes I think all Liverpool fans should just enjoy the fact that they have got the best player in the world playing for their team."
      Bowlesy88
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 200 posts |
      Re: Stevie : Pepe is the man! and mini-me in the making.
      Reply #1: Mar 30, 2009 11:34:20 pm
      shame if stevie doesnt win the player of the year award, he deserves it.
      Adz
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,192 posts |
      Reply #2: Mar 30, 2009 11:43:35 pm
      shame if stevie doesnt win the player of the year award, he deserves it.
      That's what most of the legendary footballers are talking about, i'm sure he will win the PFA along with other individual accolades as well as the PL and the CL for the team and club! :scarf:
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #3: Mar 31, 2009 09:00:47 am
      Even if he doesn't win it, we can enjoy the fact that we have the best player in the world playing for our team.
      Adz
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,192 posts |
      Reply #4: Mar 31, 2009 09:31:20 am
      Agree with you Ad, but it'd be great if he does win it to show that we, as in LFC fans, are not being biased as many other players and coaches will agree with us and vote for him as player of the year.

Quick Reply