Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Liverpool v Everton (FA Cup) MATCH Thread

Read 19087 times
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Re: Liverpool v Everton (FA Cup) MATCH Thread
      Reply #276: Jan 26, 2009 09:45:09 am
      Everton will have to attack with a little more than they showed us at Anfeild where in the second half they had a defence of eleven with Cahill chasing up field now and then. If anything the second half showed once again that we are back after our mini bad run and the only thing missing was the final ball.

With all the games coming fast now I expect Raffa to use a different team from the one on sunday and that must be Evertons hope because if we put our best team out I think we would win hands down, mind you playing Sat and Wed could work in our favour as when we have breaks we lose our way and it's times like this I'd back Rafa against any other manager.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #277: Jan 26, 2009 10:03:58 am
      I  am tired with drawing we have to show that were going for all ! ANd we have to win the wigan game .. Dani Agger to play !
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #278: Jan 26, 2009 10:05:58 am
      Ah well, its over now.

We play better away any how.

Amazing how things change mate. Could never imagine us droping a point at home 05/06 + 06/07 its only turned around this and last season. We look much better away. We need to sort it big time.  I only see a win at the pit in the reply.
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #279: Jan 26, 2009 10:52:14 am
      Maybe we feel under more pressure at home with all the negative fans we have, than when we're away, hence we play better away.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #280: Jan 26, 2009 10:57:39 am
      Maybe we feel under more pressure at home with all the negative fans we have, than when we're away, hence we play better away.
      I have been to a few away games. We are not the worst. Its more to the fact that teams park the team bus in front of their goal at Anfield. More space away because teams have to come at us
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #281: Jan 26, 2009 02:54:43 pm
      I have been to a few away games. We are not the worst. Its more to the fact that teams park the team bus in front of their goal at Anfield. More space away because teams have to come at us

i know that what you have said is completely correct....and yet it doesn't really make sense, does it? why should it make any difference where a game is played? it is still eleven against eleven...why do even the world's top coaches buy into this home is different to away mantra?
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #282: Jan 26, 2009 04:00:18 pm
      Lets be honest, the reasons we drew this match are twofold

(a) The failure to mark one of the most dangerous finishers from set pieces in England, (cahill)

(b) The inability to score goals, despite total domination of possession and territorial advantage.

Our main rivals also seem to have problem (b) but dont seem to concede goals in such a naive fashion. We could have won ugly with a scoreline of 1-0 in each of these matches and walked away happy, but for the naive defending. 

To see this happen twice in a week against the same opponent is frustrating, but the main thing now is to learn from this experience and put it right in the future. We have that opportunity in the replay.

The inability to score goals is also a worry, and we are not alone in this regard. Having to penetrate the parked bus has almost become the norm, with teams one after the other getting better at defending and denying the top sides.
      In this match Everton were almost completely clueless going forward, and posed absolutely no offensive threat going forward, other than a set piece of course. Without Arteta driving their midfield they truly are a team without ideas. I felt that our downfall was that we continued to pump balls into the box in the air, where clearly Everton had the advantage, and time after time the ball was swept away without threat. Instead we needed to hit the ball in low, and when we did do that we looked a chance, once with the goal when Torres flicked it thru to Gerrard, and the other notable time when Gerrard put it on a plate for Kuyt, who meekly passed it to the keeper.
      The tactic of looping it into the box high was possibly effective in the Crouch era, but I feel that tactic needs to be abandoned, in favour of skimming it in low. The issue of who can partner Torres upfront is no closer to being solved, after Keane fails everyone calls for Babel, and after Babel fails everyone calls for Keane. The problem was tempararily put aside when Kuyt starting scoring, and resurfaces again when he seems to have lost all form in front of goal.
      The bottom line is, we know Keane can do it, we know Kuyt can do it, and most suspect Babel can do it, but how does Benitez get all of them doing it on a consistent basis.?  The answer to this I think lies in the type of delivery, avoid looping it in high, and then in the positioning of the players. We need to get more bodies into the box, particularly when we dominate matches like this one. To  then still find ourselves hopelessly outnumbered in the attacking box time and time again is not good enough. Lets attack more!!!!
      mkj1972
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 764 posts |
      Reply #283: Jan 26, 2009 05:15:36 pm
      We battered the bitters possesion wise but failed to create clear cut chances.Most dissapointed we conceded from a setpiece again,Everton had one chance and took it.Ryan Babel is like a fish out of water on the left wing,he is a striker not a winger,we looked a lot better when Riera came on,as for Kuyt he ran around like a headless chicken and his first touch is terrible.Again Stevie Gerrard was a class act and at times seemed to be playing Everton on his own.Everton defended well but i fancy us to win at Goodison,they will have to come out and attack and Liverpool will exploit that.The Everton fans were celebrating like they had won at the end,deluded souls that they are,i was in the Main Stand and credit to the people in there and the Kop they got behind the team,nobody leaving early like they did on last Monday evening.

Quick Reply