Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the match v Crystal Palace

Allison Becker
      10 (18.2%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      30 (54.5%)
      Ibrahima Konate
      0 (0%)
      Conor Bradley
      1 (1.8%)
      Wataru Endo
      0 (0%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      1 (1.8%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Mo Salah
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Nunez
      3 (5.5%)
      Luis Diaz
      2 (3.6%)
      Cody Gakpo
      6 (10.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      1 (1.8%)
      Diogo Jota
      1 (1.8%)
      Dominic Szoboszlai
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: Apr 17, 2024 04:03:40 pm

Liverpool 0-1 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 7837 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Liverpool 0-1 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #782: Apr 15, 2024 11:34:28 am
      Come on Keith, I know you've not been in a title challenge for many years but of course fans are rightly disappointed, angry, and fuming at our recent performances. Any fan with passion for the team would be devastated at how we have let our grip go, and seemingly all hope for both remaining trophies in one week.

It's not like we played well and conceded some fluke goal. We were appalling and never look like scoring. At the same time we look vulnerable and concede at a whim.

Utd fans would be reacting the same if they were in our position. Ignore the pretence from those who want to take the moral high ground and act like "all is well" while we burn. They just throw in random lines of 'hope' so if by a slim margin things go our way they can pretend that they predicted it and were oh so comfortable and content in their foreknowledge.

Beaten by Atalanta... Beaten by Palace... At Anfield. Failed to score a single goal. Sure... All is well indeed.  :f_doh:

Dan I can honestly say Iā€™ve never come out with some of the things you lot say about manager/players. Iā€™m in totally agreement and fully understand your frustrations the way your team performed of late. Obviously Iā€™ve been in your current situation ( frustrated ) for many a year now and itā€™s just growing year by year with no real signs of improvement.

However, members saying things like Klopp out/Salah out etc etc for me is unacceptable. Basically itā€™s the same as me saying get Fergie / Rooney  out. 🤦ā€ā™‚ļø  Unless itā€™s United v Liverpool I generally keep out of the match threads for two reasons, Iā€™m a manc and itā€™s very very toxic as you know. 😂

I get the devastation, I get the frustration but some of you guys made it sound like you were being relegated. Thereā€™s no fat ladyā€™s singing just yet and like Billy states youā€™ve 6 hurdles to jump, granted I think City will jump them all (( always have ) but seen many a odds on chance fall at the last.

Arguably you losing in mid week has took its toll on the team and moral now will be extremely low. What Iā€™ve learned about Klopp over the years is the fcuker never gives in. Granted I donā€™t think you can win the league but never have even if youā€™d of won against Palace.

Not sure what to think about Thursday match with you playing Fulham at the weekend, what takes precedent? 
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 850 
      Reply #783: Apr 15, 2024 11:38:32 am
      So are eyeball stats a polite way of saying Bullshit ?
      If starting 40% of our games 1-0 down is bullshit to you then by all means yeah. I literally turned around and gave you an official stat that is beyond alarming and its symptoms, along with other problems, pretty much insured we're out of every remaining competition yet you focus on the only non factual thing I said.

The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 132 
      Reply #784: Apr 15, 2024 11:39:16 am

No, no. Don't take this advice. Not if you still want to have hair left on that head of yours.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #785: Apr 15, 2024 12:16:35 pm
      No, no. Don't take this advice. Not if you still want to have hair left on that head of yours.

:lmao:
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,243 posts | 1652 
      Reply #786: Apr 15, 2024 01:47:37 pm
      If starting 40% of our games 1-0 down is bullshit to you then by all means yeah. I literally turned around and gave you an official stat that is beyond alarming and its symptoms, along with other problems, pretty much insured we're out of every remaining competition yet you focus on the only non factual thing I said.

Don't include it then if it's not true simple.really
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,993 posts | 518 
      Reply #787: Apr 15, 2024 02:07:26 pm
      Again, it's beside the point I was making in my original post and I offered a quick rectification of the stat even if it was, in my opinion, easy to understand that I was talking about what I'm seeing rather official stats.

But now that we've put this to the side with an actual correction of the stat which essentially changed nothing to the point(s) I was making in my original post and the one I made to correct it, would you like to discuss those or "eyeball this" and "eyeball that" is where you wanna keep it at?

Sort of becomes funny when someone tries to make a point and someone clings on to a word or a single sentence in a long post as if it somehow invalidates the point it was making. Funny and telling.

Mate, I usually think you are a decent poster. But you've come on here putting the boot in to the team pretty hard, calling them a joke etc ( a team that is still only 2 points off the top). And you've justified this with a "staggering" stat that has turned out to be totally made up.

You should be going "er sorry about that, won't be posting fake stats again", rather than trying to bluster your way out of it by taking a dig at one of the people that noticed you were bullshitting.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 850 
      Reply #788: Apr 15, 2024 03:03:43 pm

Are you suggesting that even after correcting the statistic and providing factual evidence that supports my original point, I should simply remain silent instead of engaging in further discussion?

This seems to be a recurring issue with some individuals on this forum (by the way, I also believe you're a decent contributor). Any critique of the team is met with such bewilderment and resistance that one might assume the club has won six league titles in the past ten years. Instead of addressing the overarching theme of a post, the conversation often fixates on one or two specific points, which may be beside the main point being made.

I have no problem apologizing for anything, and I have already done so, along with correcting the statistic. My concern, as I mentioned earlier, lies in the tendency for the conversation to stray from its original focus and devolve into nitpicking. It's noticeable that this nitpicking often occurs only when the post is a negative assessment of the team.

My main argument is that there are significant underlying issues, serious ones, that have been largely ignored and instead masked by what can only be described as an immense effort throughout the season. This sustained effort has inevitably taken its toll on the team, leading to our elimination from three out of the four competitions we were involved in and very predictibally so. I actually refrained from posting throughout most of the season because of that. Imagine, negative comments, in the middle of a complete unravelling of our season, are met with total refusal from some on here, imagine what would've happened in January or December when those same issues were still as obvious as they are now, only then the results were there. Our football simply hasn't been up to par this season, especially when compared to the standards we've grown accustomed to in recent years.
      Football, yes, is about results, but what you see on the pitch, first and foremost, is the indicator of how a club will fare in the medium to long term. Results are unsustainable when you're playing football that isn't at the level you need it to be for whatever your ambitions are.

There's a notable distinction between two types of posters: those who incessantly exude negativity, particularly centered around the transfer market, and those who conscientiously articulate their concerns about the team while actively seeking alternative viewpoints beyond the conventional 'sell him, buy him' discourse
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 850 
      Reply #789: Apr 15, 2024 03:06:54 pm
      Mate, I usually think you are a decent poster. But you've come on here putting the boot in to the team pretty hard, calling them a joke etc ( a team that is still only 2 points off the top). And you've justified this with a "staggering" stat that has turned out to be totally made up.

You should be going "er sorry about that, won't be posting fake stats again", rather than trying to bluster your way out of it by taking a dig at one of the people that noticed you were bullshitting.
      I accidentally deleted the post you were quoting in this one. Sorry about that to anyone reading. It's still available through Sore Monad's post quoting it tho.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,697 posts | 3365 
      Reply #790: Apr 15, 2024 03:10:34 pm
      Are you suggesting that even after correcting the statistic and providing factual evidence that supports my original point, I should simply remain silent instead of engaging in further discussion?

This seems to be a recurring issue with some individuals on this forum (by the way, I also believe you're a decent contributor). Any critique of the team is met with such bewilderment and resistance that one might assume the club has won six league titles in the past ten years. Instead of addressing the overarching theme of a post, the conversation often fixates on one or two specific points, which may be beside the main point being made.

I have no problem apologizing for anything, and I have already done so, along with correcting the statistic. My concern, as I mentioned earlier, lies in the tendency for the conversation to stray from its original focus and devolve into nitpicking. It's noticeable that this nitpicking often occurs only when the post is a negative assessment of the team.

My main argument is that there are significant underlying issues, serious ones, that have been largely ignored and instead masked by what can only be described as an immense effort throughout the season. This sustained effort has inevitably taken its toll on the team, leading to our elimination from three out of the four competitions we were involved in and very predictibally so. I actually refrained from posting throughout most of the season because of that. Imagine, negative comments, in the middle of a complete unravelling of our season, are met with total refusal from some on here, imagine what would've happened in January or December when those same issues were still as obvious as they are now, only then the results were there. Our football simply hasn't been up to par this season, especially when compared to the standards we've grown accustomed to in recent years.
      Football, yes, is about results, but what you see on the pitch, first and foremost, is the indicator of how a club will fare in the medium to long term. Results are unsustainable when you're playing football that isn't at the level you need it to be for whatever your ambitions are.

There's a notable distinction between two types of posters: those who incessantly exude negativity, particularly centered around the transfer market, and those who conscientiously articulate their concerns about the team while actively seeking alternative viewpoints beyond the conventional 'sell him, buy him' discourse

Do you really think a team thatā€™s gone from mid table and fighting for a top 6 spot , losing 9 games to a team thatā€™s lost 3 times - 2 points of the top and right in the middle of a title battle is a ā€œjokeā€ as you call it

Yes the team isnā€™t perfect and at times we have had to battle and have let some silly goals is and sometimes got ourselves into more trouble than we should

But no team is perfect and itā€™s part of the charm and excitement

What is the comparison that people look at - City , a team loaded with expensive stars purchased through cheating

Iā€™ll take what we are doing every day than what they are doing and I donā€™t care if it isnā€™t perfect

But the team is a not a joke , they arenā€™t bottlers and all the other hyperbole stuff

We are a team battling for the title, we should proud of that instead of looking to tear it down

We are still in the last two remaining competitions- we have not been eliminated
      « Last Edit: Apr 15, 2024 03:15:36 pm by Lallana in Pyjamas »
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,196 posts | 913 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #791: Apr 15, 2024 05:59:17 pm
      Seeing Arsenal drop points definitely helped ease the pain

How dose it ease the pain, had we won we would have been top and the tittle in our hands, for me it made it worse, we may have just thrown the tittle away
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #792: Apr 15, 2024 06:12:54 pm
      How dose it ease the pain, had we won we would have been top and the tittle in our hands, for me it made it worse, we may have just thrown the tittle away

I hate Arsenal and I feel if City do drop points now the players will back themselves to get it done over Arsenal, it might not have been that way if Arsenal took advantage yesterday.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,993 posts | 518 
      Reply #793: Apr 15, 2024 06:13:44 pm
      For anybody that's interested in actual stats on this question, I found the below. It doesn't give the numbers over the first 20 minutes but it does over the first 15.

The period covered is in the EPL from the beginning of last season to October of this. Turns out we conceded an average of 0.22 goals in the first 15 minutes of games over that time -

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/10/why-do-liverpool-keep-conceding-the-first-goal/

So, as we all know and nobody is disputing, it is too many, worse than our rivals. But it doesn't put us in the "joke" category that anything even close to doing it in 80% of games actually would have.

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,196 posts | 913 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #794: Apr 15, 2024 06:48:03 pm
      For anybody that's interested in actual stats on this question, I found the below. It doesn't give the numbers over the first 20 minutes but it does over the first 15.

The period covered is in the EPL from the beginning of last season to October of this. Turns out we conceded an average of 0.22 goals in the first 15 minutes of games over that time -

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/10/why-do-liverpool-keep-conceding-the-first-goal/

So, as we all know and nobody is disputing, it is too many, worse than our rivals. But it doesn't put us in the "joke" category that anything even close to doing it in 80% of games actually would have.

No itā€™s not in the joke category but it probably will put us in the non title category
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 850 
      Reply #795: Apr 15, 2024 07:14:56 pm

"Palace's winning goal on Sunday was the 23rd time in 51 that the Reds had conceded the first goal and for a team that were experiencing just their seventh defeat as a result, that shows just how well versed Klopp's side have been in fighting back to secure a positive result.

But such powers of resilience are not limitless and having gone to the well that often, they finally found it had run dry on Sunday afternoon. It's an issue which has blighted the team for two years now.

Liverpool have responded to adversity far better than they did last season and the fact that they remain in contention for a League Cup and Premier League double - while still technically in possession of Europa League hopes - despite having conceded first in so many outings is proof of that mental strength and quality.

But, on the flip side, that they have fallen behind in just one game fewer than the 24 of what was a deeply disappointing campaign last time out with a minimum of seven still left to play is a deeply worrying statistic.

Seven of the 31 Premier League goals conceded this term have come inside the opening 15 minutes, which points to a team who far too often need the jolt of the oppositions' celebrations to knock them out of their slumber. Add in a further three in cup games with LASK, Leicester City and Manchester United and it has become an Achilles heel that teams are clearly targeting."

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/liverpool-no-closer-fixing-huge-29001674
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,993 posts | 518 
      Reply #796: Apr 15, 2024 08:08:51 pm
      No itā€™s not in the joke category but it probably will put us in the non title category

Correct on both counts.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #797: Apr 15, 2024 08:15:32 pm
      2 points off top with 6 games to go, I think we all take that back in August amd probably at any stage. All that while not playing particularly well for large parts of the season and missing players of importance

Yes yesterday was a kick in the scrotum, we expected a performance after Thursday but got a lame first 45 followed by a 2nd 45 where we just were not going to score

A twist or 2 left yet so dont give up hope

shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 562 posts | 128 
      Reply #798: Apr 15, 2024 08:55:06 pm
      2 points off top with 6 games to go, I think we all take that back in August amd probably at any stage. All that while not playing particularly well for large parts of the season and missing players of importance

Yes yesterday was a kick in the scrotum, we expected a performance after Thursday but got a lame first 45 followed by a 2nd 45 where we just were not going to score

A twist or 2 left yet so dont give up hope

I don't think it was the defeat bad enough as it was but the performance. From the outside it looked like half the team couldn't be bothered, then we had the likes of endo who seemed to be trying but someone had put lead in his boots. Think there was only Robbo that was full of energy and trying to spur us on.

Quick Reply